Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

Nailz wrote: »

I reckon if we get to the quarter finals, particularly if it's against Monaghan, we'll surpass that easily.

Yous will surpass Monaghans easily?? The team that already beat yous and the same team that whipped the All Ireland champions??
    Id love to know your thinking on this :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Yous will surpass Monaghans easily?? The team that already beat yous and the same team that whipped the All Ireland champions??

The thinking behind it is simple.....
    We simply felt sorry for Monaghan and allowed them to win in the Ulster Championship, It is like allowing your little brother to beat you in a family game of soccer so he doesn't feel so bad and insecure about his limitations.
    We don't need any more Ulster Titles anyway.
    We will not be as forthcoming however next weekend should we get through and draw Monaghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Is it not obvious he meant surpass the 20,000 fans easily? :confused:

Johner wrote: »
    Is it not obvious he meant surpass the 20,000 fans easily? :confused:

Ah! sorry Nailz, my bad

Hammar wrote: »
    The thinking behind it is simple.....
    We simply felt sorry for Monaghan and allowed them to win in the Ulster Championship, It is like allowing your little brother to beat you in a family game of soccer so he doesn't feel so bad and insecure about his limitations.
    We don't need any more Ulster Titles anyway.
    We will not be as forthcoming however next weekend should we get through and draw Monaghan.

Oh yeah? When did Cavan last win Ulster anyway? 1896?

Your post made me chuckle though ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

One Ulster title in 25 years and you lads think yas are the dog's bolix!

How many All Ireland's have ye again!?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

They're the most successful county in the history of the Ulster Championship in fairness. 39 titles over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Monaghan man joins boards 6 years ago. Stays away from the GAA forum waiting till he can take the píss off the Cavan lads.

Monaghan finally win an Ulster, thinks this is my time!!

Attempt 1: in rush to rub it in hops on wrong comment and ruins the moment like a horny 17 year old outside the glencarn non-alcoholic disco

Attempt 2: Slags the most successful county in Ulster about the amount of Ulsters they have won..

Well played sir.....

jiFfM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

To be fair Monaghan played a lot better against Donegal than they did against us. The physicality and intensity was very impressive, and to be honest I dont think we would have got anywhere close to beating that Monaghan performance on Sunday.

However, I think it will be a while before they play as well again, so IF we beat London, and we get Monaghan in the QF we have a chance. Nothing more. They will be favourites and rightly so, and Messers Dunne and Keating in the FF line would need to trouble that FB line a lot more than they did in Clones.....and Finlay wont miss the frees that Monaghan missed in Clones either

To be fair Monaghan played a lot better against Donegal than they did against us. The physicality and intensity was very impressive, and to be honest I dont think we would have got anywhere close to beating that Monaghan performance on Sunday.

However, I think it will be a while before they play as well again, so IF we beat London, and we get Monaghan in the QF we have a chance. Nothing more. They will be favourites and rightly so, and Messers Dunne and Keating in the FF line would need to trouble that FB line a lot more than they did in Clones.....and Finlay wont miss the frees that Monaghan missed in Clones either

Wouldn't disagree with any of that - I think the main reason why an awful lot of Cavan and Monaghan people would like to see a Cavan Monaghan quarter (if we get to a QF!) is the sense of occassion and incredible atmosphere there would be - i'd love to see it for that reason. There has always been a huge amount of respect between the two counties and if that draw were to come about it would be a very special day in Croke Park..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I dont agree, I don't rate Monaghan - they beat a Bad Donegal on a bad day......Donegal will beat Laois well this weekend, and Cavan will Beat London, and will go on to Beat Monaghan the next time.....I can honestly see Cavan get to an AI semi ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭willabur

Tom Joad wrote: »

I like

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Hope Cavan win in Saturday and I hope London give ye a good game as well. I don't think it will be as easy for Cavan as some people think. London have beaten both Sligo and Leitrim and though Cavan would be favoured against both of those there would be no talk of it being easy. Perhaps the game in London is better served by a moral victory/close defeat than another beating.

Like ourselves I don't see Cavan getting past the Quarter Finals but should give any of the 4 provincial winners a good go. Good stepping stone to build on for the future and fingers crossed the Royals get a go at ye in the championship soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Weather better clear up by tomorrow afternoon or no one is gonna have a good day :o

This is what it's like around Croker right now

jones-road-3-385x500.jpg

jones-road-1-2-379x500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭celt262

Fcuking hell is that a couple of feet of water?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Jaysus,theres hardly any chance of the games being called off for safety reasons is there?

Hammar wrote: »
    Jaysus,theres hardly any chance of the games being called off for safety reasons is there?

They could move it to somewhere else.

can't see them moving it with tickets sold..

willabur wrote: »
    can't see them moving it with tickets sold..

Sure tickets could be used elsewhere, it wont be moved though.

• Advertisement

celt262 wrote: »
    Sure tickets could be used elsewhere, it wont be moved though.

I don't see how they could. Also at such short notice there is no way the gardai could be organised in time to steward potentially 3 different venues. Having it all in one place makes life far easier for them

Monaghan man joins boards 6 years ago. Stays away from the GAA forum waiting till he can take the píss off the Cavan lads.

Monaghan finally win an Ulster, thinks this is my time!!

Attempt 1: in rush to rub it in hops on wrong comment and ruins the moment like a horny 17 year old outside the glencarn non-alcoholic disco

Attempt 2: Slags the most successful county in Ulster about the amount of Ulsters they have won..

Well played sir.....

jiFfM.jpg

Ha! that was a tad over dramatic no?

His post was a piss take and my reply was the same, just a bit of friendly banter bro.
    I actually wish Cavan all the best and I'll be cheering them on all the way.

Lighten up sir...

Ha! that was a tad over dramatic no?

His post was a piss take and my reply was the same, just a bit of friendly banter bro.
    I actually wish Cavan all the best and I'll be cheering them on all the way.

Lighten up sir...

I think you'll find that my post was a piss take and in the spirit of banter - which bit did you take in the wrong spirit??? :pac:

I think you'll find that my post was a piss take and in the spirit of banter - which bit did you take in the wrong spirit??? :pac:

lol, nice try.

At least uve calmed down a bit ;)

lol, nice try.

At least uve calmed down a bit ;)

Yeah blood pressure was well up there for a while ;)

Next time try not to leave yourself so open! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

It is indeed blue. Sky blue. ;)

In all seriousness i'll be there as a neutral tomorrow and i'm looking forward to seeing Cavan in person. They should bring a big contingent of fans too so looking forward to it.

Yeah blood pressure was well up there for a while ;)

Next time try not to leave yourself so open! ;)

Would, if i did.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Team announced. I was told by a reliable source McDermott is back so I think the team below is just for the sake of naming one:

Cavan manager Terry Hyland has announced his starting fifteen for Saturdays qualifier against London in Croke Park. Hyland has kept faith with the same line up who defeated Derry in Celtic Park last weekend.
    Cavan will line out 1 to 15 as follows:

1. Alan O'Mara (Bailieborough Shamrocks)
    2. Thomas Corr (Denn)
    3. Rory Dunne (Redhills)
    4. Killian Clarke (Shercock)
    5. James McEnroe (Ramor United)
    6. Alan Clarke (Kingscourt) Captain
    7. Ronan Flanagan (Castlerahan)
    8. Damien O'Reilly (Belturbet)
    9. David Givney (Mountnugent)
    10. Cian Mackey (Castlerahan)
    11. Jack Brady (Ramor United)
    12. Feargal Flanagan (Butlersbridge)
    13. Martin Reilly (Killygary)
    14. Martin Dunne (Cavan Gaels)
    15. Eugene Keating (Saint Sylvesters)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

I'd say yous lads should be grand for Croker tomorrow, surely they'll sort something out by then. It's not too bad for Cavan and London being on first, but I wouldn't fancy being Tyrone or Meath, the pitch could be well cut up by then.

• Advertisement

nice and sunny over here in Montreal but lads I would give my left nut to be up in the hogan stand tomorrow. Hopefully I can get a stream going, that or I'm back on Northern Sound with Michael and Keogan

Advertisement