Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Pay €150 for Cavstream season pass and no game on a Friday night - very disappointing. Tonight’s offering is Lavey Vs Laragh which Laragh will win at a canter while the more interesting game between the Gaels & Kingscourt is not shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭rrs

They can still compete for Ulster. Oisin Gallen,McBrearty, Langan, Ciaran Thompson are good players. A few who opted out will likely return next year ,ike Ryan McHugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,493 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

47 of them... Do you want me to pick them for you

Joe Dillon with a last minute goal to win the game for Kingscourt. Cracker of a game and a great crowd. Pity it wasn’t in Breffni.

Bit ridiculous that the biggest intermediate game of the weekend was played in Crosskeys while Drumgoon and Drumlane, no offence to either club, squared up in Breffni.

• Advertisement

The atmosphere is better in the club grounds for the early rounds. The crowd would still look very small in Breffni.

They shouldn't really play any games in Breffni until the Quarter finals on.

I’d agree totally but the fact is they are putting games in Breffni and, if they are, the biggest games should be in there, not in Crosskeys.

It’s a bit ridiculous of the two leaders of the administration in the county to be so blatant about the favouritism towards their own club when selecting venues for games.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

I think it's also a bit silly that Arva are playing Junior when in Division 1. They are down in Junior on merit and didn't go up last year, but it's a big advantage playing the likes of Ramor, Gowna and Crosserlough going into a Junior championship.. it's like Dublin playing in the Tailtean Cup

Tyrone grade their championship based on league from the previous year. I

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Could you not end up with the same problem? Killygarry being an intermediate side for example is very possible and would result in the same sort of mismatches as Arva in Junior.

They are junior because they had a year where they suffered hugely with injuries. That said, they couldn’t get out of junior last year. They were also playing a higher standard than a lot of junior teams last year in Div 2 and it didn’t make a difference.

People are also talking up Knockbride but they haven’t been able to get out of junior for years. They’ve been doing good work underage but they have to push it to fruition. Relegating 3 teams a few years back is still correcting itself.

The fact is that all 3 grades have teams which should be in a grade below. Panels can greatly change with players retiring or travelling and injuries and only 1 being relegated a year means you only have to ever ensure you’re the second worst team.

• Advertisement

You probably would but bigger gap in Junior. When they cut the number down to 12 in the Senior Championship it improved the intermediate. Most of the intermediate teams would be fairly competitive.

We can talk all day about the different levels but the elephant in the room is the overall lack of quality.

Other than Gowna & Crosserlough, I’d question if any of our other senior teams would compete in other counties.

We’re worrying about who the next senior team manager will be but I’d be more inclined to worry about what he has to deal with.

Conor Bradley went off with a heavy knock in the first half against Crosserlough

Do teams get home advantage in the group stages of the Monaghan Championship? Corduff played Ballybay last weekend in Corduff.

Given that Crosserlough couldn't beat Gowna last year and Gowna couldn't beat the Fermanagh champions, I don't think either team would pull up any trees in other counties.

This has been the case in Cavan for a long time so it's not a new worry for a county manager.

I didn’t say they needed to “pull up trees”, my comment was to even “compete”.

I wouldn’t agree re the lack of quality. Back when Graham took over, I would have seen the overall quality as quite good but it’s been gong downhill since.

It’ll take a serious team to stop the Lough this year and that’s Cahir’s view before I’m accused of bias…

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2023/08/20/news/crosserlough_impress_in_a_better_bad_game_than_most-3545741/

He seems to be fascinated that teams kick more in Cavan. I've seen him mention it before. Surely if you're a player it's more enjoyable to give a good kick pass then a slow sideways hand pass ,which is going nowhere.

Ray Galligan described as one of the most successful Cavan captains due to lifting 3 Cups? I dunno, I’d have to question the merits of winning Div 3 and 4 given it was an abomination that we were even in those Divisions.

Which captain in recent times would you say was more successful than Ray?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Well its just a fact lad (he also won an all star), given that the last Cavan captain to win anything was Stephen King and he only won one trophy. You are back in the 60's then to find a captain that lifted a cup.

• Advertisement

Michael McDermott no longer in contention for the job. Jason Reilly, Hughes and Ray Galligan.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Thunderbirds

Looks like Ray has got job. Burke stays on, Stephen O Neill in and Ronan Flanagan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭piplip87

Hopefully it works out for Ray. Although I'd be skeptical enough over the appointment. There's a massive change in tactics needed to compete, also going to be a bit of a rebuild on too.. Hopefully he is ruthless enough to clear out those who might need a push. Be interesting to see who he is chatting too after his games in the Championship

Confirmed now.Eamon Murray could be an interesting addition in the backroom team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

Best of luck to him.

Cavan GAA Management committee are happy to recommend Raymond Galligan as the new Cavan Senior Football Team Manager for a 3year term. Raymond from the Lacken Club captained the Cavan Team to an Ulster championship in 2020 and has been Cavan goal keeper since 2015.

Raymond will be joined by Eamon Murray (former Meath Ladies Manager) assistant manager, James Burke (Mayo) head coach and selector, Stephen O’Neill (former Tyrone player) forwards coach and selector, Damien Keaney (Killygarry) selector, Andre Quinn head of performance, Gary Rodgers(Meath) goal keeping coach, Padraig Galligan (Lacken) operations manager, Ronan Flanagan (former Cavan player, Castlerahan club)player liaison officer, Paul Gaffney clinical psychologist, Catherina McKiernan (Long distance athlete) life coach, Paul Kilgannon workshops, Patricia Feeley nutritionist. Stats: Felim O’Reilly, Briain McDonald, Peadar Soden, Kieran Dennehy, Finbar O’Reilly. Equipment management: Fergal Brady and Aidan Smith.

This appointment will be subject to ratification at the next county committee meeting.

The issue I take is the description of “winning” 3 Cups. I don’t think being in Div 4 and 3 with that panel was acceptable.

Re the management decision, it’s been said for weeks at games I attended that he had it - I had hoped it was just idle rumours. I wish him the best of luck but I can’t see it working out. A big change was needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭benjy1000

The lassy McKiernan will have them fit anyway.

Plenty of runs in killykeen forest park & maybe an ice cream after it .

It's a good backroom team,as it needed to be with a rookie manager. Hopefully the forwards can learn a bit from Stephen O Neill.

Paddy Cunningham said he was excellent Antrim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Good luck to Ray and his new management team. I hope he can get the players all to go again. Some interesting additions with Murray, O Neill and Catriona McKernan catching the eye. There will be a lot of focus on him and pressure being inexperienced as a manager but I suppose on other hand the way it's gone it's less about individual manager and more about the team around them.

Advertisement