Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭etuzyuk

Thought it was error ridden and low enough standard for long periods but Meath much braver and tried to play football. To be fair to them they played some fantastic stuff when game was in melting pot last quarter and some of their scores were sublime. Good win for their young team. Under Graham we were simply not good enough to win this competition and it's a measure of how much we stagnated under him the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

The top placed league team in the tailteann Cup won it... I can't see how we were such favourites for it in the first placec

• Registered Users Posts: 51,493 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Well when you also look at the difference in standards between the Tailteann Final and the All Ireland semi-final there's a world of difference. Cavan are not ranked at 18 for nothing.

But are monaghan ranked 3 or 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Do you really think the weather can be mentioned as a factor in a five point win? They had their bit of luck with the first goal but you make your own luck by going for the jugular - something Cavan have not done under Graham of late.

It’s a shocking indictment that most of that Meath panel are in their first or second year. O’Rourke has basically rebuilt that team in a season and delivered a Tailteann Cup.

He wasn’t afraid to go with his younger players and leave long established lads like Cillian O’Sullivan on the bench.

Hopefully we can get the right man now to let the shackles off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭rrs

A young Meath team . 3 of the starting 15 were 19 Adam O Neill, Conor Grey, Sean Brennan.

A few 21/22 Mathew Costelloe,Jordan Morris

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Yes I do think weather was a factor. Down are a small team, relying on slick handpassing to attack. Slippy wet conditions do not lend themselves to this. In addition Meath have a fair bit of size around the pitch and wet conditions suited them. One of the pundits before the game said the same.

Yeah the weather wouldn't have helped with their hand passing style. Kilcoo would be the same not a big team, and play through the hands.

Meath beat Down earlier in the competition in good conditions in Parnell. But more at stake in the final.

Kilcoo are usually competing in the latter stages of the Ulster and club All Ireland in the depths of Winter.

They are but came unstuck last year against Glen in poor enough conditions. Glen had size. Conor Glass Emmet Bradley and out muscled them around the middle

• Advertisement

Larry Reilly from Knockbride Gfc has been appointed as Cavan U20 manager for a 3 year term subject to Co Board ratification.

His Backroom team are Andy McGovern Killygarry, Kevin Mc Donnell Ramor Utd GFC, Danny Brady Mullahoran Dreadnoughts and Declan Farrell Templeport St Aidans Gaa.

Looks like a pretty decent line up... The best of luck to them hopefully Larry can emulate Peter and bring an ulster back

Peter played a very negative system but doesn’t seem to get the same criticism Terry Hyland did. Is it because he was a fan favourite as a player?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

Probably because he never went into Senior Managment he was as bad as TH.

The first year of those U21 finals in 2010 Cavan didn't have a defensive system. Peter Donnelly came on board in 2011 and they became very dogged and got success. Peter Reilly didn't change the system when he took over. He won 2 Ulster titles but it was a hard watch.

I wouldn’t see the Hyland era as “bad” to be honest. The first thing any good manager does with a struggling team is make them hard to beat.

By 2016 our game had evolved but he moved on.

I thought we were excellent against Dublin in the semi. Negated their very dangerous big names, played great counter attacking football and were extremely unlucky. Robbed by referee probably. To play and win at the top level you have to be ultra competitive and pragmatic. The beautiful game only works when talent at you disposal outweighs the competition.

Played well in the first half against Dublin. Cavan sat back more in the second half. It was a 1 pt loss but Dublin had 3 or 4 goal chances in the game.

Think they won the final by a landslide after, led by 20 pts or something stupid till they conceded a few consolation goals. That was a ridiculously good Dublin team.

The Ladies relegated to intermediate after a drubbing. Something needs to be looked at there. I know there’s problems with the CB but we shouldn’t be losing a relegation play off 1-20 to 8 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

I never said it was I was talking about the style off football.

Absolutely. Some of the commentary about that game in years after was ridiculous. That was an incredible Dublin team and we were really fucked by the ref that day. All this talk of negative tactics, every team in the country is doing it today to some level or the other. The hard bit is being successful on the counter attack.

Michael McDermott,Jason Reilly and Raymond Galligan nominated for senior job. Galligan a surprise nomination

McDermott would be the pick of the 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Ray Galligan is a big surprise,he must be planning on stepping away from playing if he's going for the manager job.

Michael McDermott and Jason O Reilly ,we all expected to be in for it.

I'd be very interested to see the planned backroom team of each candidate.

Yes, I agree. McDermott certainly the lead candidate for it of that bunch.

No offence to Ray but he’s part of the established setup for the past few years and things need a shake up so I would hope he doesn’t get it.

I’m surprised to see Terry isn’t in for it so you’d wonder is he part of Ray or Jason’s backup team.

I'd expect him to be part of Jason's backroom team and to be honest I'd be expecting Jason to get it on the basis that he was involved in I C set up with Leitrim when Terry was there

Now whether he's the right man for the job time will tell

Personally I'd like to see McDermott getting the job

Ray would be a bad choice as was stated above too much loyalty to current panel members

It seems McDermott is unsure if he will go for the job. Jason Reilly and Galligan assembling backroom teams. Might be another candidate

https://www.anglocelt.ie/2023/07/25/latest-trio-tight-lipped-on-potential-backroom-teams/

I was surprised by the podcast this morning. Despite what the pair of lads say, they seem firmly in the pro Mickey camp.

They argued that no manager has the experience Mickey does - winning Ulster.

When Mickey took over Cavan though, he didn’t have that experience and, unfortunately, most of the country just see that as a “Covid Cup” because of our limp performances since.

McDermott is more experienced than Graham was when he took the job.

The bottom line is it’s quite clear change was needed. The last three years have been fairly dire stuff - winning Divisions we never should have been in doesn’t paper over the cracks.

A Meath team with less talent than we have winning the Tailteann Cup had to be the final nail in the coffin.

All this talk from the Cavan camp that you need 18 to 24 months to get players ready - Meath outperformed us with a bunch of kids and by not being afraid to drop their experienced players to the bench.

I listened to the pod last night and what I'm left wondering is why you regularly misrepresent on here what was said on the podcast?

• Advertisement

Advertisement