Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭mylestheslasher

She's down as a life coach so I doubt she'll be doing any running with them anywhere. Maybe ice cream comes under life coach though. She knows what it takes to be world class though.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Thunderbirds

I didn't really feel too good about Ray going for job never mind getting job but after seeing the team he's put together I'm a lot more confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,504 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I wonder did Raymond have a say in getting Gary Rogers as goalkeeper coach? Rogers and Steve Williams another former Dundalk keeper have been around the GAA scene with various counties. Rory Beggan probably gained from their input. The goalie position in GAA football has become more important with playing outfield and now having to save penalties in shootouts.

https://www.gaa.ie/football/news/codebreaker-steve-williams-enjoying-monaghan-role/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭rrs

He's manager so likely did have a say. Galligan would have worked with him before for a couple of years when he started off as keeper with Cavan in 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

I wouldn't have been too keen on Ray getting the job... But that's a very impressive backroom team he has put together

It'll be interesting to see the effect eamon Murray has on the group

Anyway best of luck to Ray if he has the job and hopefully it's a positive appointment

Our last few managers from within the county in the last 10 or 15 years have been more successful than the outside ones we've had so hopefully that will continue

Cavan4sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

I wouldn't be convinced. The main coaching and performance people are retained from previous failed outfit. Can't see Catherina having a big impact. Stephen ONeill didn't add a whole lot to Tyrone attack in his time.

Plus the whole setup has too many Lacken Lackeys for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Is his appointment indicative of the player's having too much influence, somewhere they've no business?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Best of luck to Ray, a brave move to make for him and guts from the county board to give him the job. His managerial credentials will be tested hard and early as he'll take on McGuinness, McGeeney and O'Rourke in his first league campaign. Realistically if he steadies the ship, keeps us in Division 2 and has a decent showing in the Sam Maguire it will be a very good first year. Medium term, he needs to begin replacing the ageing stalwarts and look at making us consistently competitive at Div 2 level and Ulster Championship. He'll be doing this with slim pickings from our underage systems.

I think releasing the entire backroom team was an effort to show how this is a broad setup and would help to quell understandable blowback from appointing such an inexperienced manager to our County Senior team.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,504 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

”Releasing the entire back room team” - two of the main roles are the coach and S&C and these have both been retained.

Galligan was captain in the shitshow we saw this year. Already some are saying he was calling a lot of the shots so can we really expect the huge change in culture and momentum that appears to be required? That’s what disappoints me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

@Cavan_King

OK we get that you're not over the moon with the appointment.....

But would you not agree that changing everything especially S&C in which we were equal or ahead of most teams we played against would be a bad move?

I've no idea of what went on behind the scenes last year apart from the gossip on barstools and online maybe you can enlighten us?

It's going to be a baptism of fire in the league so hopefully he freshens up the panel

Andre Quinn is employed full time by the Co board, would be odd if he wasn't there. Cavan are one of the few counties without a full time S/C coach.

I was picking up on your alleged point that he “released the entire back room team”. It clearly isn’t correct. Two of the most important positions remain. Coach is arguably the most important.

I’ve heard great things about Burke and was enthused about his appointment this year but then I saw the mess we were on the pitch in the latter stages of the League and championship. We can only hope now that Graham was to blame and the shackles will be let off with a faster transition but I’ll believe it when I see it.

Re Andre Quinn, were we equal or ahead of Armagh or Down? I don’t think so. Were posters on here not saying we looked sluggish? Do we not have an S&C and management team speaking about lads needing 18 months or so to get conditioned for intercounty football yet Meath breezed in a load of new lads and won the cup we didn’t win? Why were we playing so many players who clearly weren’t match fit in games?

I don’t know about online rumours or barstool rumours. The stuff I hear is at games I attend and people I meet. I must be in the minority though because I’m about the only person commenting on the ongoing club championships on here.

You hope he freshens up the panel, do you believe he will having been an integral part of it for the last decade?

I think you're getting confused. I said "releasing the entire backroom team" meaning releasing the names of all 20 individuals that would be involved. I don't recall this having been done with previous appointments, it's usually just manager coaches and selectors that are named.

Heaping criticism on Galligan when hasn't been in charge 24 hours is pathetic and tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭mogue77

I same as you was very enthusiastic with Burke’s appointment and early few league games I was impressed and thought that how they were playing was all down to him then something changed and they went back into their shell I’d like to give him another go, also I would like to see Raymond getting in brian O’Connell, darragh Lovett, get James smith and Thomas galligan back get paddy Meade and Jordan Morris .

Morris will stay with Meath. Thomas Galligan went travelling for 2 years. Spent the summer in Boston then planned to go to Australia. Whether having his cousin as manager changes that.

Caoimhin O Reilly might be worth a recall. Playing well with the club. Shane Sexton of cootehill could be worth a look too.

Hold your horses there. Who is heaping criticism on Galligan?

I think you’ll find it is the recent management team & setup I am criticising, as a change is clearly needed, I don’t think anyone is arguing that - yet, at the same time, Galligan has been the captain under that setup for a number of years.

I already raised this back when the names were initially announced and my opinion hasn’t changed.

I’d appreciate if you didn’t try to twist the point to suit your narrative.

You said you hope he freshens up the panel but then ignored my query of whether you think he actually will given he was on it for the last decade?

I think it will tell a tale how things will progress by who exactly Ray can convince to stay on the panel and come back to the panel? If he is having no joy there then I would be concerned. Would need to see Gearoid stay (and properly developed as a Full Forward), Thomas Galligan and of course James Smith. How are Faulkner, Clarke, McLoughlin and lads at that age thinking - can he convince them to stay. If we an exodus then he will have failed at his first and maybe most important task I think.

I didn't say I hoped he freshened up the panel I said he needs to start replacing ageing stalwarts. I think he will do that because he has no other option.

I think it's naive to think that he has the guts to retire, go straight for the managers job, assembled a good backroom team but won't have the conviction to drop lads he's familiar with if necessary. You're presuming he's going to be loyal to the detriment of the team, surely give him a chance to prove himself.

You have recently said that the standard around the county is poor. We all know there is no conveyor belt in terms of underage coming through. Where do you think he can pull these quality young players from to step straight into Div 2 and Ulster Championship?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

It's time to move on from a lot of those lads and Graham probably should have started that process last year.

If Mickey Harte came in and they didn't stay on would that be a failure on Mickeys Harte?

I agree we have to move on from those lads but there is a gradual phasing out required. We cannot go in, axe 6/7 starters up the spine of your team and replace with new young lads of standard we dont even know while maintaining some sort of performance level - not possible. In addition I would also say last years biggest failing was the way we played games and how we set up in games rather than individual poor performances. There are miles left in those boys yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

It's a pity that the County board haven't done a deal with clubber tv for the streaming of the club matches €100 for the year and you get the games from every other county that use them plus other sports that they stream.

The League of Ireland has LOITV pass for 120e a season, including Cup games. 36 League games and you can watch as many league games as you want and not a select few.

150 for the Cavan Championship is far too steep, on a poor enough quality stream.

Gowna couldn't even beat the Fermanagh Champions and Crosserlough couldn't beat Gowna and have constantly came up short in Championship since 2020.

We're going to rebuild our County side with lads from those teams that aren't already involved? Which players specifically are you talking about?

Apologies, I mixed your post up with the one from Cavan4Sam re freshening up the panel. Gowna & Crosserlough are the best of a bad bunch as I’ve already said previous to the management announcement.

They have a lot of players in there but they do have players coming through at underage level and also I’d be looking at Oran Rehill, Peter Smith (best player in the League final), David Shalvey, young Brady that marked Canavan in the U20 final (is he Fionn?), Conor Casey & then Ryan McGahern should get more playing time. There’s six off the top of my head.

There’s not much about to shake up the panel. It’s more about getting players to commit that haven’t or wouldn’t. Getting James Smith back in is vital. There are others like Fergal McKenna from Laragh who haven’t been asked and would add some steel.

Somebody mentioned Thomas Galligan - one of the Lacken players mentioned in an interview that he’s gone for two years and they seemed fairly definite about it.

It’s more a change of culture and momentum that is needed. We need to transition the ball at speed. That has been obvious for years. Dublin just won the All Ireland because they countered alot quicker than Kerry.

Eamonn Murray is in there and the Meath Ladies didn’t exactly play a very expansive game under him.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭benjy1000

I’m assuming galligan will not be a player manager, then again if what’s coming up isn’t cutting the mustard then sure he might put himself back in goals & Murray work the line.

He’s retired from intercounty playing. Actually, given I think he played every minute of every game under Graham, when was the last time a different keeper played? Must have been James Farrelly under McGleenan.

Galligan could easily have played on a few more years. Cluxton is 5 years older and likely to get his 7th All Star.

Galligan was a very good keeper for Cavan. Excellent in 2020. He needs to get a reliable replacement as keeper is very important nowadays. Liam Brady a capable replacement,

• Advertisement

A good second half by Killygarry after a very flat first half. Conor Smith was impressive . Cavan Gaels very ordinary without Gearoid McKiernan. The Shehu brothers are very athletic but can't score. Missed 4 or 5. Paul O Connor was decent in the first half from frees but poor in second half.

Advertisement