Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭rrs

The draw was made back in August for the Ulster Club competition, back again this year.

Cavan Champions are drawn at home in Senior , Intermediate and Junior. It would give the County team in 22 a lift if these teams could do well, as the record in the competition is shocking , especially at Senior

https://ulster.gaa.ie/2021/08/draws-made-for-2021-aib-ulster-football-and-hurling-club-championships/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭celt262

Seems to be able to do as he likes sure he got the job without meeting the qualifying criteria and then got his qualification once the job was secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

How is that possible? And is he held to account by the board for games development in the county? I heard someone say that there was a taskforce or subcommittee being set up to look at games development, which if true, would be welcome. It's clear that Cavan underage football has been on the slide since probably the 2017 minor team* but to my knowledge that hasn't been addressed and of late our teams are turning up at minor and under 20 level and getting tanked with no questions asked about structures. I'm not suggesting that McCabe is the only person who has to answer for this, but surely the people being paid for the role have added responsibility.

*From that team, only James Smith has cemented a senior role, but you could see at minor level what an exceptional talent he was. Has been slower for Pierson and Lynch and Timoney. Thought Cian Madden was a cert to make the senior team but hasn't happened for him as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Your question was answered by baconsarnie with some of the names I would suggest - that said, I can't comment on individual situations. I've never been a fan of commenting on lads who aren't on the panel because there's nothing seems to make a fella more highly rated in Cavan that not going onto the panel.

What I can say though is that I can't see why we were going into League games against hardened intercounty teams playing a number of U20s. Leave those lads to develop with the U20s and their clubs and bring in proven players who have performed consistently at club level. Some of those lads had barely played five championship games for their clubs at senior level yet we're expecting them to step up at intercounty level. It's not fair on them.

Cian Reilly and Oisin Brady, no offence to them, play for a club that with four county players can't even win a club game. They haven't even learned yet how to win matches, let alone intercounty games!

We'd just won Ulster so why was there the need for a huge change in personnel in League games?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Who would you see as the young players that have been discarded?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Thunderbirds

There was still some inexplicable changes to be fair to the poster above - Breen O'Connell not featuring in the League and then plays in Ulster. Fortune left on the bench against Tyrone whilst Cian Reilly starts. They are only a couple I can think of. And why drop Brian McGhee and Buchanan if we are so short at midfield of people to cover James Smith? I think Mickey thought he'd have enough starting inexperienced players to beat Division 3 intercounty teams and it didn't work out.

I think there is an element of both (blooding new players and thinking we would have enough to scrape through the league) and injuries. For example, we only saw the likes of Jason, Conor Smith, Conor Madden, Luke Fortune, Thomas Galligan and Niall Murray play a few minutes here and there and if I'm not mistaken Gerry Smith only started the Tyrone game. Added to that we lost James Smith and the Holla (and he has been our most consistent player for at least 5 years now). That's 8/9 starters who clearly were not match fit either for league or championship. That's the big problem for Cavan is that whilst I think we have a very strong group of seasoned footballers, we don't have (as yet) the depth of experience across our panel.

I also thought a few other lads who are normally are so dependable didn't look right in many of the league games and wouldn't be surprised if some were carrying knocks.

With Mackey retiring and McVeety stepping away (which is now a de-facto retirement, I don't think we will see him playing for Cavan again) it was clear we needed to do some long-term planning and blood new forwards.

Team      Pld   W  L  D PD Pts

Ramor      3   2   0   1   6   5

Gowna      2   2   0   0   18   4

M/horan     2   2   0   0   3   4

K/court     2   2   0   0   2   4

C/Gaels     2   1   0   1   9   3

Laragh     2   1   0   1   9   3

Lavey      2   1   1   0   -6   2

C/lough     2   0   1   1   -1   1

Ballinagh   2   0   1   1   -9   1

Lacken     2   0   1   1   -17   1

Killygarry   3   0   3   0   -3   0

C/rahan    2   0   2   0   -5   0

Shercock   2   0   2   0   -6   0

Gowna V Crosserlough on Friday should be a good game. A defeat for Crosserlough would put them in a precarious position with a game to play. Ballinagh could get back in contention with a win over Laragh. Finbar Reilly coming up against Lacken. Cavan Gaels should beat Castlerahan going on what they have showed so far

Templeport had a good win over Butlersbridge in Intermediate. They were hammered by Cornafean by a draw with Cucus and win over Bridge has them in a decent position. Cornafean going well 3 wins from 3.

I see Philip Rogers is back for Knockbride which should strengthen them in remainder of Junior.

Another week, another one point loss for Killygarry. Massive game on Thursday night- will Gowna go for the jugular and try and put them into a real dogfight? Mad to think that the Gaels could condemn Castlerahan to a relegation scrap!

Serious win for Templeport. Cornafean coming from nowhere and well worth their place at the top of the table. Ballyhaise manufactured a win against Bailieborough but could have easily lost that if the second goal had stood for the Shamrocks. They look like they should make the quarters with Cucus, Ballyhaise, the Bridge, Cornfean, Killinkere, Killeshandra and probably Templeport. Drumlane were blessed to get a draw on Saturday.

• Advertisement

Killygarry a bit like Mayo, close but no cigar. Martin Reilly would be a loss for them but they lost a lot of close games in Group stages of Championship last year also.

A bit surprised to see Cootehill lose 3 from 3 in Intermediate, though some of their better players like Enda Hessin not playing the level of a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aoifec25

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question.

I'm looking to buy a match programme from 1947 All Ireland Final in New York. It doesn't have to be signed or even in the best condition.

I've seen the signed programme on Ebay for €1k+, but I don't want it signed so not willing to spend that much on it.

Willing to spend €400-600 depending on condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭celt262

Might be best to contact the county board. I have never seen one others may be more help.

You could say Cootehill have been unlucky in drawing two of the top teams in their first three games, but losing to Ballmachugh is going to hurt them. I know they have u13 and u15 success of late, but I saw them a few years ago at senior level and their slide into a poor intermediate team is no surprise. I wouldn't be surprised to see them slide into Junior for a few years before they start to pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Aoife, I have one myself but not for sale. One thing to be careful of is that a memorial copy was made of the original in the 90s so be careful not to buy that one for 400 euro, its worth about 20.

The best place to keep an eye out is www.collectiblescorner.net they run a mail order bid every few months and that program occasionally turns up. If you need help send me a dm.

Killygarry only had to beat Lacken in their last game last year to get a spot in the QFs and couldn't. That says it all. Lacken had nothing but pride to play for. Mullahoran were playing Lavey who were already through and Lavey beat Mullahoran but Killygarry couldn't get the result they needed.

The Lavey vs Shercock & Ballinagh vs Laragh games will have a huge say in relation to relegation this weekend as they are, what you'd call in soccer anyway, relegation six pointers. Shercock and Ballinagh have to win or their goose is cooked.

If Cootehill can hold a couple of years at intermediate, they have strong underage teams coming through. Their U13 team is very strong and won the Division 1 title by a cricket score vs Butlersbridge. Some great players on it. Their U15 also made the final.

Ballinagh have two games left. They had as tough a draw as you could ask and ran the Gaels close and got a draw against Ramor. They could conceivably lose against Laragh and win their last game and be okay.

I think Shercock's best chance of points will be this weekend against Lavey, who despite a brilliant opening weekend win looked awful flat against Laragh. And if Gerry Smith is injured, I wouldn't given them much hope.

I expect Crosserlough to drag themselves out of it so I don't think 3 points will be enough - 4 will be needed I reckon. I think that 9th is safe from relegation and the relegation play offs are 10 vs 13 and 11 vs 12.

Lavey's big issue is not just injuries to Gilcreest, Cusack & now Smith, it's also that Conroy and Tierney aren't playing well. Lavey need all of those functioning. Last year against Shercock Smith picked up Killian Clarke and Cusack picked up Clerkin, Lavey probably won't have either of those this year. Smith missing will also affect the frees as they have taken Conroy off those.

Will be interesting to see will Killygarry accept the inevitable in their last game and put out a shadow team to try and keep lads fresh for a relegation play off. With the run of losses they are on, they are in real danger. They've forgotten how to win games!

I know it depends on the draw in the next round, but I can't see Lacken getting any more points. Similarly Shercock- even if they take points of Lavey. So i think three of the bottom four will be Lacken, Shercock and Killygarry. Pressure is massively on Crosserlough and Castlerahan who easily could be pulled into a relegation battle. I think Ballinagh are strong enough to beat Laragh.

Prediction: bottom four of Lacken, Shercock, Killygarry and Castlerahan :O

Lavey to finish 9th by getting a point somewhere in the last two games.

If Lavey can't get a win against Shercock, there's very little else in the senior championship they could expect to beat - Lacken or a shellshocked Killygarry perhaps but that's it. There should have been relegation last year. Having 2 go down this year is unfair when clubs like Laragh basically took the year off last year. Mullahoran making a QF on two points made a farce of it.

• Advertisement

That's a statement from Gowna!

Gowna fully deserved winners and probaly should have been more. A little bit too much about Crosserlough last year, finding it harder this year. Adrian Smith would be a loss in the forwards, Patrick Lynch very impressive but the other forwards not contributing..

Conor Brady showing good form again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Very poor from Crosserlough, i can’t see them getting through now.

I agree, and I may be proved wrong but I can't see Castlerahan getting into the quarters on current form either. With those two out, it leaves room for the likes of Ballinagh or Laragh (or possibly Mullahorn) to sneak into the semis.

Kingscourt must have made their own draw again this year and are going to ease into the quarters without a serious challenge and bring players (Dillon, Meade, Oates, Barry Reilly) back into fitness at the business end of things. No one seems to be talking about them (and they haven't done much yet) but I could easily see them getting into the finals again.

Kingscourt will be thereabouts,Joe Dilton got injured before the Quarter finals last year and only recently back. He might have made the difference in the drawn Co final..their attack was a bit limited outside Barry Reilly and Cian Sheckelton

I don't know about that appointment. He was a coach with Fermanagh under Gallagher and they played very negative defensive football, then he became manager and they lacked any ambition. Some of the better players like Tomas Corrigan and Ryan Jones stepped away while McMenamin was manaaer

I’d be happy with it. For a long time now in Cavan we’ve been too nice, and also naive when it comes to cynicism - just look back over our disciplinary record. Other teams do it but Cavan get caught doing it.

Nice guys with nothing.

If Ricey can add a bit of steel to our play it could be a great appointment. As for Fermanagh players stepping away, much like ourselves, when has that not been an issue?

He & Gallagher brought a very limited Fermanagh team to an Ulster final and within a game of promotion to Division 1 in 2019.

Relegation in 2020 but they were hit hard with Covid and he kept them in Division 3 this year - more than our current manager could manage with a team that had just won Ulster.

The defence does need to toughen up.no.doubt. The way Wicklow waltzed through Cavan was far too easy.

Though it shouldn't haven't took until Cavan ended up in Division 4 to bring in a defensive coach..

• Advertisement

The Gearoid McKiernan show for Cavan Gaels against Castlerahan. They would be average enough without McKiernan, don't have the scoring threat of previously, Johnston no longer involved, Dunne a sub.

Ballinagh should beat Castlerahan to book the last quarter final spot next week.

Advertisement