Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Thunderbirds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

I’m hardly making it up. Talk to anyone from the six clubs involved. Sure the County Board tweeted a picture of a ‘paddy wagon’ at Lavey today saying they were checking covid compliance.

God forbid, a juvenile might get in to watch their local club at their home ground without a juvenile ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭rrs

Ballinagh steamed the game yesterday against Crosserlough. I watched a bit of it on the laptop while the Dublin Mayo game was on. Stephen Smith kicked a few good scores and Pierce.

I think one they one of the club should have a change of colour. The black and amber and yellow and white are hard enough to seperate at a distance. Ballinagh have a second kit asaik

Its same when Crosserlough play Ramor..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I see Cavstream is back this weekend. Looks like we’ll be putting up with these now pointless restrictions for the first few weeks of championship at least.

At least now that Donal Keoghan is back managing he won’t be able to insult other team’s players on commentary!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Who was the referee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭etuzyuk

Pat Clarke. McKeever still some left in the tank, great reader of a game.

We won't be worrying too much about a League title in Crosserlough. Would have been nice to win it but you can't win them all... until next year!

Not sure how you haven't heard of Pat Clarke if you go to alot of games around the county. His reputation, and that of his brother, albeit not as notorious, proceeds them!

Absolutely no truth in the rumour that Dara will be home. He's quite happy abroad. Have a look at his instagram - would you come back from that to here if you were his age!? I'm not sure where the We Are Cavan lads heard a teacher has to return to work after 2 years from leave. I know one teacher that is on leave 5 years!

Some shock for Templeport to win it but fair dues to them. They're also unbeaten at some of the underage levels so have strong lads coming through. Would be nice to see a team in the West of Cavan make a breakthrough to senior eventually.

Was it that much of a shock? Templeport won the Junior before with a lot of those players. They are probaly a better age now mid 20s for Intermediate. Denn would have been favourites for Junior from the start of competition but not much in it.

Ben Kiernan was a quality player for Templeport,in the states the last few years. A shame for them to be without a player like him,but they have a few good forwards.

I’ll admit I wouldn’t know much about Templeport or junior football to be honest. Up this side of Cavan though, I felt Denn were seen as clear favourites because they are a strong junior team, particularly with one of my favourite Cavan players Mossy Corr in their ranks.

• Advertisement

Championship starts Thursday evening. Predictions comp lads. Here's the senior games:

Lough vs Ramor - Crosserlough

Gowna vs Killygarry - Gowna

Lavey vs Castlerahan - Castlerahan

Kingscourt vs Sherock - Kingscourt

Laragh vs Lacken - Laragh

Ballinagh vs Cavan Gaels - Cavan Gaels

Two teams to be relegated so should be exciting. They should haven just had relegation last year which would have stopped the likes of Laragh taking the proverbial.

Why was there no relegation in league this year?

Was it not a time issue last year that there was no relegation play offs? With the Inter County starting in October

Because it wasn’t a proper league. Teams only played half the number of teams and didn’t play all teams in the their Division.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

I agree with your predictions CavanKing, but as ususal one or two injuries picked up (or clearing) things could swing one way or another. Really looking forward to this, can't complain with the draw, especially with the opening game. Good weekly deal on Cavstream as well (€20 notes for 5 games this weekend).

Probably easier to pick who i think will be relegated from Senior than who i think will win (for the record, think it will be Lacken and Shercock). Having seen a fair few of the senior teams in the league this summer (with the caveat that it is the league), I think Crosserlough are looking strongest. But you wouldn't put it past Gowna, Catlerahan, Ramor, the Gaels, Kingscourt or Ballinagh all being able to beat each other in knock out rounds so you could easily have Crosserlough not even make a final.

And I will put it on record now, i don't think Killygarry are strong enough to past the quarters. I think they're too light in the middle. Having said that, Oisin Brady looks like an absolute beast now and really stands out at club level.

But roll on 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭piplip87

Jaysus buzzing after that. McEvoy will be some player for Cavan in the next few years. Absolutely right decision for him to go for the U20 route this year.

Jaysus for an aul fella in GAA terms young Paddy Mc changed the game when he came on and a trade mark point from an impossible angle. Still one of the best corner forwards the club since his father.

Has he played all that much for the club? I thought he was in Australia for years. Phil Kermath tweeted that was his first senior game in 11 years. I think you’re being very harsh on some of the players from over the years who served the club well by labelling him one of the best in the last 30 years.

Good win for Ramor anyway but nothing won yet. 2 being relegated will make things very interesting.

I wouldn’t be overly worrying about losing two games in a row until the business end of championship. Ramor had their win last night but we’ll see what happens if we meet again.

Yet another loss for Killygarry tonight, after they worked so hard to get back into the game and level it, they lose anyway. Perhaps they might realise at some stage that coasting through underage competitons and conceding games they don’t think they’ll win means their lads have no resolve at senior level.

What was McHugh spouting? Last year he was bigging up Cavan football and praising players but giving digs as to how they weren't in the Cavan panel, what is he at this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭celt262

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭piplip87

Ah your right he would have went to Australia. I withdraw the comment but he is one of the most naturally gifted players the club produced.

He woukd have missed a good bit but would have played for the county for a season or two

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Lavey finally manage to beat Castlerahan in the Championship, 5-5 to 2-11

That was more like a underage scoreline. Lacken and Laragh drew. Lacken better teams for long spells but tired

Kingscourt beat Shercock by . Barry Reilly back after injury, Joe Dillon also after a long period.

Lavey actually should have had another 2 goals. Shane Tierney & Ray Cullivan had a great chance but played one hand pass too many and got muddled up to allow a clearance. Peter Smith also raced through at the start of the second half and should have pulled the trigger earlier. Some win for Lavey considering they were missing Paul Gilcreest & Danny Cusack who won Ulster medals last year. Good to see Larry McCarthy experiencing club football in Cavan.

Big result for Lacken. Laragh were expected to beat them comfortably given League form. Shane O’Rourke got a straight red at the end too.

Shercock could be in trouble with two teams being relegated this year. I think that’s a farce after they stupidly decided on no relegation last year so some teams took the total piss and basically took a year out putting in no effort.

The Gaels showing again yesterday that being a good intermediate team is one thing but senior is a level above. Ballinagh have another tough game next week too.

Shannon Gaels well beaten by Mountnugent in the junior by all accounts. Knockbride put 48 points past Maghera! Maghera may just do a Corlough and amalgamate with Munterconnaught. The two pitches are only a few miles apart. Its getting ridiculous at this stage that they are actually undermining the Junior Championship because any team who plays them has such a large swing in score difference. Denn also won by double scores.

Ballymachugh went closer against Killinkere in the intermediate than I thought, while Cornafean showed Templeport there's a step up from junior to intermediate too. I'd expect the final in that grade, if they avoid each other, to be Butlersbridge vs Cuchulainns.

I was at the Gaels match. The scoreline not a true reflection of the game. Ballinagh were impressive for a good period,but wilted in last 15 minutes. Carroll went off injured and the Gaels punished the Ballinagh full back line. The Balliangh keeper McGrath wasn't great under high ball either.

Niall Murray came on at half time and added to the Gaels attack. McKieran scored a brilliant goal which Brought the Gaels back into the game in second half. Cavan Gaels are decent but would need to improve to win the championship ,should be a interesting game with them and Crosserlough

I was listening to some of the We Are Cavan ''around the grounds'' commentary alright and they said the scoreline flattered the Gaels. The game between them and Crosserlough this weekend is huge - hearing rumours of a rift in the Crosserlough camp over players not getting medals last year.

Killygarry really need to get a result against Kingscourt but Kingscourt are a team will battle to the end. Killygarry, on the other hand, appear to have a soft underbelly and can't see out games.

Lavey have another derby, this time against Laragh. They won't score 5 goals in another game so they'll need to score more than 5 points. Laragh gave them a heavy tonking in the League semi final recently also.

Castlerahan got a good fixture to bounce back in. You can't much easier it appears than Mullahoran.

Any truth to the rumour that Maghera were awarded win versus Knockbride as Knockbride used too many subs?

Haven't heard that. I know there was alot of talk that a Ballyhaise player got a black card and they sent on a sub against Cootehill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭celt262

I just checked the Knockbride twitter from the game there and the substitutions during the game were

05mins 2nd Half Knockbride substitution On:20 Larry Maguire Off:10 Roy Donohoe

06mins 2nd Half Knockbride substitution On:05 Fergal Smith Off:31 DJ Cassidy

09mins 2nd Half Knockbride substitution On:26 Conor Smith Off:08 Philip Nulty

10mins 2nd Half Knockbride substitution On:22 Peter O'Reilly Off:04 Daniel McGuinness

13mins 2nd Half Knockbride substitution On:17 Adrian Carroll Off:12 Niall McCabe

19mins 2nd Half Knockbride substitution On:27 Rory Traynor Off:09 Ben Mulvey

There in bother going by that.

Advertisement