Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭celt262

Isn't Keoghan involved in cavstream hence the reason McHugh is on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

There are probably two schools of thought on this. One being you have a style or philosophy of play and train players towards that. It possibly has some merit at county level, but even still there's no point saying you're going to only kick long range points to counter a blanket defence if you have players who can kick from distance with some accuracy (see All-Ireland final for example). If you've got fast runners, you probably play a running game.

And then there's another school of thought that says you play a system that best suits the skillset of your panel. I've seen Shercock and they do have some very fine players but they are operating of one of the smallest panels for senior. They've made themselves very competitive and that will stand to them again (i think). Going out and getting absolutely tanked week on week does zero for morale. Look at Lacken- they were competitive in one game (not surprisingly when Raymond Galligan was fit and offered an outlet at full forward) but have been taken apart in their other games. Not sure that is helping matters for them.

I would say Shercock are being set up to be competitive and that for a slice of luck they could have gotten results against either Kingscourt or Lavey. I would say they are in a better place than Lacken (albeit home advantage could be huge) but I think it is fair for smaller clubs to have ambitions to survive in the championship as opposed to wining it. Such as Shercock. Or Crosserlough 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭rrs

True, Keoghan was on commentary last year. Off it this year when he went back to Castlerahan.

He's good pals with McHugh.

I think Cavstream has been great, especially for those of the Breffni Diaspora that can't get to club games every week. That said, it could easily improve. There is absolutely no denying Sheanon or Clarke's knowledge of Cavan football, and i think both work well in tandem.

Given the joy he has given us, I feel almost traitorous saying this, but please don't let McHugh commentate on any more games. He is cat. All of the above ("there's his aunty", "his father played for me") and his false praise for Cavan football (he's hardly going to get paid and say "this is absolute muck, no wonder you got relegated"). He also talks too much- we have a video Martin, we don't need every single action to be described. That and "he's handled a lot of ball" being used every third sentence. Sorry Martin, thanks for the memories!

Is there a way to get the Mixlr commentary of We are Cavan to sync with Cavsteam (the latter is about 5 seconds behind?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

I fully agree with you re playing to their strengths but would Shercock not have one of the fittest panels in the county to play a running game? The Clerkins, Clarke and, I would imagine many others, come from an athletics background due to the highly successful club they have up there. I remember a Ramor man telling me how Jack Brady told all their underage teams in Ramor to get into athletics and learning to run properly because no man on the county panel could beat Clerkin or Clarke in a sprint due to their athletics background.

I can understand going defensive if they played the reigning county champions Crosserlough (we're still that until another name is on the cup) or Ramor but they really should be going for it against Lavey, a team who would also have one of the smallest senior panels - there were games under Kevin McDonnell where he didn't even use a sub and it's rare they'd make more than two changes in any game, if even two changes.

• Advertisement

Shercock got a really tough draw (as did some of the other minnows, like the reigning champions ☺️): Kingscourt, Ramor and Gowna are all heavy hitters.

I know of very few teams that can move seamlessly from one style to another. Shercock are set up to make it difficult and ideally use that pace to hit teams on the break (it worked really well for them at intermediate level) and I don't think it is possible to decide for one game (Lavey) to come up with a completely different game plan.

The shape up of next years League/Championship being decided at Congress on the 23rd. The option B whch is a League based Championship seems to be the best route . Super 8 not being brought back which is no harm

https://t.co/8rDAX1UMGF?amp=1

I see your point but I do think part of the evolution of a team has to be to move on after a while - any decent manager will make a limited team hard to beat but over time look to improve on that. Sherock have done well playing defensively but why not try to evolve it? The lads on We Are Cavan said they have lost 14 group games out of 16 (one draw and one win) over the last four years. Is that much enjoyment for players? I can't imagine so. Is it much enjoyment for their supporters? Is there not an argument they'd be better try and play some football and, if intermediate is their lot, so be it? Some of the other ''minnows'', as you call them, at least provide the odd shock and have made QFs, or even SFs in Lavey's case, but Shercock are in no danger of doing that anytime soon it appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Very disappointing first QF in the Senior. Gaels through with a minimum of fuss, without even Gearoid featuring much. Laragh being talked up a lot, particularly by Paul Fitzpatrick who I see from a recent pod is a lurker here, but, at the end of the day, they couldn’t beat Lacken and only beat a Lavey team who were out on their feet after a big game against Castlerahan and suffered with injuries.

I’m not expecting much from Lavey vs Kingscourt tonight either unless Lavey can get the likes of Ray Cullivan & Gerry Smith fit.

Laragh play a very exciting running game. But in fairness to the Gaels, they had their homework done and didn't give them the space to run into. Laragh were a bit one dimensional and didn't adapt to try much long-range in the second half. If the Gaels had Gearoid for the full game it would have been a massacre. Paul Smith really looks a classy footballer, reminds me of Barry Reilly a bit.

Maloney Derham and O Connor were superb last night. O Connor being fit and on form is a big asset for the Gaels.

• Advertisement

He'd be 20/21,played Co Minor in 2017.

Barry Reilly was also very good for Kingscourt. He plays a bit like Ciaran McDonald head up,rarely gives the ball away, great vision. A.shame he didn't play more County football, but couldn't commit with his work.

Killygarry with home advantage should have enough for Castlerahan, though Crahan wont want to go down that easy

Ballinagh drew with Ramor in group stages so should be interesting game.

Gowna should have enough for Mullahoran

According to the Laragh people I know, a lot of the Laragh lads aren’t particularly interested in the county setup due to the commitment involved. A shame because the two McKennas, the two O’Rourkes and Paul Smith are worth throwing a McKenna Cup game to at least to see how they’d get on. Fergal McKenna & Fergal O’Rourke did play in a charity challenge in Clones vs Monaghan a couple of years back.

Lavey didn’t get enough out of their star players last night. They need a keeper can take a short kick out too. They had the chances to make more of a game of it. Two goal chances, although Kingscourt did hit the crossbar twice in the one play. Tierney & Gilcreest were good but you’d expect more from Conroy, Smith, Jordan & Duke. Cullivan was in the stand and not togged out.

Kingscourt worked the mark well and, as stated, Tully & Reilly excellent, Dillon always a threat. Faulkner kicked a monster score but capable of better.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Castlerahan 0-06 to 0-03 ahead at half time in the big relegation game. They seem to be playing a bit more directly today than other games I’ve seen but the big difference is they are taking their scores and Kilkygarry, with two county forwards starting, don’t seem to be able to.

Ronan Flanagan out of retirement again but Castlerahan behind by a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

All over for the Maroons, pretty poor all round, game deteriated in last 20mins,3reds,1black, Rahan lost 5 players with injury and Oisin Kiernan injured in training didn't help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

More chance of them going to junior, according to a couple of bjd men I chatted to after game, than going straight back up, an awful lot of work needed to make them competitive, shortage of players coming through, could be 7-10 years b4 they'll challenge for senior again, but these things go in cycles for most clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

His commentary is embarrassing. Jody Clarke was no better last night, i doubt there was anyone left in Kingscourt that he didn’t mention, does he live in Kingscourt?

Is everyone else’s sound very muffled on this game? Is he too close to the mic?

Mullahoran in the game so far, It was going to be close enough between neighbour clubs

• Advertisement

Gowna stepping it up a gear and lights go out

Kingscourt to play the winners

Ramor V Gaels. Ramor look the best team of the 4

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

does the Cavan stream show every game or how does it work. I live abroad and would like to watch one team in particular. I’ve never used it before

I turned it off before the end but it was anything but close by then. Mullahoran are a very ordinary team for senior championship. They do get talked up a bit on We Are Cavan due to the obvious link with it but truth is they’ve generally struggled at Senior since coming back up. The only teams they’ve beaten iirc are sides who end up in relegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭celt262

All the remaining championship games will be on it.

They pick a selection of games each weekend and promote them - check theiwr Twitter page. At the weekend they seemed to have every game in the senior championship except Lacken & Shercock. A 20 euro weekly pass for 5 games was very good, even with the poor commentary. Only games from Breffni have commentary on them.

You can also rewatch any game once you've bought it.

They did a decent job in the first half but they look fairly limited. For many (myself included) Mullahorn are trading on history. Their reputation as you point out, isn't based on any huge performances against a big team. They did play well against Kingscourt last year though and probably could have won that in normal time. Wonder how much Paul and Philip Brady have left in them after last night .

Gowna on the other hand are really exciting to watch. Some seriously talented footballers. Ryan Brady, Cormac Brady and Casey are really good and Ryan Donohoe looks superb. Great to see Conor Brady continuing his fine form and last night was the best Conor Madden has played in a long time.

Conor Madden was good enough, his decision is poor at times though..Donohoe has been very solid during the championship, good off either foot takes the 45s.

Knocbride and Denn should be a decent game next weekend in junior. Knockbride producing very good underage teams for small.club. in the division 1 minor championship.final,made the final few years ago too

For all the criticism that is levelled at the likes of Killygarry, you really would have to question how Knockbride are still at junior given the successful underage teams they constantly seem to have. They have great facilities as well. Are they losing players or why is underage success not leading up the ladder? Their juvenile teams play like winning is life and death too.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

They will probaly need to get out of Junior this year,Drumlane and Arva going down from Intermediate will make it more competitive next year. Those clubs had a lot of injuries this year,

Think knockbride have a lot around the 21 mark like Philip Rogers, might be more ready for it now.

• Advertisement

Anyone hearing the rumour that the Gaels are picking up another transfer from a recently relegated team? Another Cavan senior apparently going to their way.

Advertisement