Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Any reason why Cavan players are leaving the panel lads?
    You need big lads like Keating surely, ball winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Poor everything. Enda Reilly was doing well but was taken off. Referee gave a lot of soft frees and then the MOTM was comical. For me Donnelly was the best player on the field by a long way. Best team won but a poor game to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭celt262

What I heard at end of last year was that they were fed up with the style of football and they thought that the management would step down. Keating and Givney are both "injured" at the moment and based in Dublin and in Keating case the story is that with work he hasn't time to commit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Wouldn't read too much into an awful game played in awful conditions. Would agree that Donnelly was best man on pitch. Cavan were a wee bit unlucky at the end not to get a draw but in reality probably got what they deserved on the night. Few players are being tried who will be nowhere near the panel come championship but that is what January is about. It was as bad a night as you can get for football. Hopefully Wednesday night will be a bit better but forecast doesn't look great.

We do need a lot more from the forwards but the ball wasn't very quick coming in and that is something that needs working on.

Re lads leaving I wouldn't read too much into it. Toasty leaving was well signalled and agreed with management - the lad got married last weekend and had committed to taking a break.

Givney and Keating are both injured, playing club football in Dublin and have changed jobs - hardly surprising that they are stepping away. Both are a serious cross roads in their football lives and hopefully when they recover from injuries and start playing club ball again will be back on the panel. I wouldn't be surprised it that was before the Monaghan game in May. Keating in particular, if he rediscovers a bit of form would be a great asset to have.

Not all doom and gloom though over the weekend, young Madden played well by all accounts at the weekend, Brian Sankey too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

January definitely not a time to be getting too worried about things. New coach in there in McHale and it is bound to take some time for him to get his ideas across.

"Losing" players off the talent of Givney and Keating is unfortunate but as the previous poster said they are young lads starting out in their careers living over an hour away. They need time to settle and if they do get playing some quality level of football in Dublin then the door should remain open for them when they are able to commit to the team. Whats encouraging is to see the sheer number of lads playing football in a Cavan jersey these days, the u21 panel is massive, the senior squad is also large while there is the guts of a nother team lining out for their respective universities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Blue in hope

Was at the game on Saturday night and would agree with a lot of what was said above. Could have got a draw but didnt deserve it. My main concern was nearly everytime we broke out of our own half we had no one inside the 21m line. When our wing half backs did run along the sideline and then in behind we were not looking up and playing in the ball to them. Our ball handling was poor in the first half and we were punished for this. I know its early days but I could hear the management who were based in the stand shouting with frustration at getting the basics wrong. We need to be scoring more that 3 points from play regardless of the weather conditions.

Game v Monaghan has been called off - will now be played on Sunday at 2pm.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Game v Monaghan has been called off - will now be played on Sunday at 2pm.

No harm you wouldn't put a dog out in that weather.

Team named for tomorrow
    Cavan (McKenna Cup v Monaghan) - Conor Gilsenan; Joshua Hayes, Rory Dunne, Jason McLoughlin; Killian Clarke, Ronan Flanagan, Martin Reilly; Gearoid McKiernan, Damien O'Reilly; Dara McVeety, Christopher Conroy, Mark McKeever; Niall McDermott, Martin Dunne, Jack Brady.

Fair few changes but a stronger looking team all around.
    There is a hard frost and snow showers forecast for tonight/ tomorrow morning so game no 100% I would say as Wednesday game was called off on health and safety grounds rather than the state of the pitch.

11 3 Cavan. Playing some great stuff. Not bad for a blanket defence

• Advertisement

7 up at half time and not the drink ðŸ˜႒

Good result today but was a real game of two halfs. Some cracking scoring in the 1st half and a great display at midfield from Gearoid - best he's been since he came back from injury. Nice to see us working scores and some good kicks from distance but Monaghan were very loose.

Second half turned scrappy and a bit of a bite to it and we were lucky in many ways to survive.

Still nice to beat the noisy neighbours and the extra game(s) are all welcome at this time of year. Fermanagh in Breffni on Wednesday night should be lively given recent history between us and them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

what did gearoid get sent off for ? did he get a straight red ?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭SheldonC17

cavan4sam wrote: »

Straight red, I believe he striked someone in the same incident that wylie and finlay got send off for monaghan

cavan4sam

Adverts | Friends

There seems to be a few reasons going around. The one i have heard the most was that he was the third man in and that is a red card offence. another website claimed that he was meant to have said something to wylie. The one thing that surprise me was the reaction of Jap Finlay he was very incensed whatever happened, he wouldn't be one for striking like he did- picture on sportsfile site clearly shows it.

Wylie took Martin Reilly out of it, Melee ensued Jap struck someone - Gearoid threw a slap. Wylie and Finlay walked - Referee played on until Umpire's called his attention to what Gearoid had done - he walked. No way Umpire's could have heard anything said in the melee - no more than anyone in the crowd could.

I wouldn't believe everything you read on HoganStand lads :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

I'm assuming he'll appeal it so if he's done nothing wrong ? It would be a shame if he missed some of the league

cavan4sam wrote: »
    I'm assuming he'll appeal it so if he's done nothing wrong ? It would be a shame if he missed some of the league

He did though he threw a slap and was the third man in so ref was dead right

Tom Joad

Adverts | Friends
    Mod: GAA
    Wylie took Martin Reilly out of it, Melee ensued Jap struck someone - Gearoid threw a slap. Wylie and Finlay walked - Referee played on until Umpire's called his attention to what Gearoid had done - he walked. No way Umpire's could have heard anything said in the melee - no more than anyone in the crowd could.

I wouldn't believe everything you read on HoganStand lads

They may be right this time according to today's Irish independent.

' The Ulster Council will meet tonight to consider the report of referee Sean Hurson following Sunday's ill-tempered McKenna Cup club clash between Cavan and Monaghan in Breffni Park.

The Irish Independent is reporting that provincial disciplinary chiefs are expected to open an investigation into an alleged verbal altercation that is understood to have taken place.'

• Registered Users Posts: 51,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I wouldn't believe everything you read on HoganStand lads :rolleyes:

Why? Is it not good enough for the elite of Boards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Would you believe everything you read anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

It's full of people with serious agendas against Hyland and the county board, the trolls are allowed to write what they want. There are several posters who post nothing but blatant lies consistently to stir up trouble and are allowed to do so. Frequently reasoned sensible posts I have submitted don't get published. Nothing to do with being elite it's just a very poorly moderated forum.

The amount of crap posted on the Cavan forum is unbelievable and the place is overrun with trolls who revel in outdoing each other to see what ridiculous stories they can fabricate. They obviously don't give a damn about Cavan football or the players. The place goes into overdrive anything some negative happens or Cavan lose.

I've no idea what you are trying to get at with the elite of boards bit??

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

another website claimed that he was meant to have said something to wylie. The one thing that surprise me was the reaction of Jap Finlay he was very incensed whatever happened, he wouldn't be one for striking like he did- picture on sportsfile site clearly shows it.

The Irish News this morning are reporting an allegation of sectarian abuse being investigated by the Ulster Council following an incident in the Monaghan v Cavan McKenna Cup match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

Heard this morning he is getting a 2 match ban

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

willabur wrote: »
    Heard this morning he is getting a 2 match ban
    yup.
    McKiernan facing two-game ban for 'abusive comments'

Cavan midfielder Gearoid McKiernan is expected to be officially informed today of a proposed two-match ban for allegedly making comments of an abusive nature during Sunday's McKenna Cup match against Monaghan.

Ulster's Competitions Controls Committee met last night to discuss referee Sean Hurson's report in which it is believed the alleged comments made to the Monaghan player were referenced.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/mckiernan-facing-twogame-ban-for-abusive-comments-30924728.html

Absolutely no place for stuff like that in the game - very dissapointed in Gearoid McKiernan but good to see it was dealt with swiftly by the Ulster Council.

Absolutely no place for stuff like that in the game - very dissapointed in Gearoid McKiernan but good to see it was dealt with swiftly by the Ulster Council.

He has that side to him to do unsavoury things at spur of moment he has done some things at club level which wouldn't be very nice either.

Anyway hopefully we can get the win tonight as I wouldn't like to be going into the Roscommon game without him.

celt262 wrote: »
    He has that side to him to do unsavoury things at spur of moment he has done some things at club level which wouldn't be very nice either.

Anyway hopefully we can get the win tonight as I wouldn't like to be going into the Roscommon game without him.

Know very little about the lad and have only seen him play club football once. Hopefully he learns a lesson from this incident. Sad thing is that Jap and the Wylies are some of the nicest guys you could meet either on or off a football field.

Yep, we need a win tonight so he is available for the trip to Khartoum.

• Advertisement

Know very little about the lad and have only seen him play club football once. Hopefully he learns a lesson from this incident. Sad thing is that Jap and the Wylies are some of the nicest guys you could meet either on or off a football field.

Yep, we need a win tonight so he is available for the trip to Khartoum.

Only applies to McKenna cup so he will be ok for first league game.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/gaa/cavan-star-banned-after-sectarian-comments-30924526.html

Advertisement