Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howth Hill Climb

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kamonyespurs

Anyone know the avg gradient from the Graveyard to the Shop at the Summit turn ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Have been done this climb a handful of times since the new year. Will time myself this week, of course I'm peaking in two months so it won't be a representative time.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Have been done this climb a handful of times since the new year. Will time myself this week, of course I'm peaking in two months so it won't be a representative time.

Thanks for the deep insights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Lumen wrote: »
    Thanks for the deep insights.

You're more than welcome. Perhaps I should have inserted some sort of smiley face.

This for instance :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

New PB of 9 mins, defo not a 100% effort, first time over it in ages and I should have gone at it harder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Inquitus wrote: »
    New PB of 9 mins, defo not a 100% effort, first time over it in ages and I should have gone at it harder.

Which route ? the left at the church,the right at the church (Balkill Road) or the Sutton side ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Generally this thread is for the Howth TT Strava segment from round about the school on the Sutton side to the top. From the Village side my PB is around 7mins odd afair. Never gone right at the church myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Granolite

Generally this thread is for the Howth TT Strava segment from round about the school on the Sutton side to the top. From the Village side my PB is around 7mins odd afair. Never gone right at the church myself.

Went up the RHS of the Church today..jeez..thought I was going to grind to a halt on the steepest incline..also had the urge to heave my stomach contents out over the handle bars..I just stuck it in lowest gear and spun as fast as I could to just get it over with ASAP.

As for the Sutton side route..the new Strava KOM has finally gone sub 7 minutes..scorchio.

5.6kWp - SW (220 degrees) - North Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Heh, My time up the Sutton side today was 13m11s! Felt it in the knees but everything else was fine. Went down to the village and up again to the right of the church. Got complimented on my fitness by some passers by as I spun grannyfully up in 30x32...
    Back down to the village and up to the left of the church before a well-deserved cone at the summit. Spotted a couple of boardsies around and about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

cdaly_ wrote: »
    30x32...

30x32!!!!!Ahh FFS is that even a real gear? Did you have have to hook up 2 chains together to make it fit?

• Advertisement

Too bloody right! I've done my share of falling off the bike gasping for breath. Not doing that no more...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

Is that the SRAM WiFli set up? I'd say you could climb a tree with a gear that low

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Too bloody right! I've done my share of falling off the bike gasping for breath. Not doing that no more...
    OH I hear ya and I have been that soldier
    marketty wrote: »
    Is that the SRAM WiFli set up? I'd say you could climb a tree with a gear that low
    With a gear of 30 x 32 I would expect to see him upside down on the ceiling :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Ah I see.
    I generally go up the Sutton side and then down to the harbour. Then I go back up the RHS (balkill road) of the church and then turn right onto Windgate Road and follow that all the way around and then up to the car park.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Did it on Sunday with a couple of friends.
    I'm not a fan of hills and thought it was pretty ok.

Head down and just turn the legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Did it on Sunday with a couple of friends.
    I'm not a fan of hills and thought it was pretty ok.

Head down and just turn the legs.

What was your time?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭maloner

Yay someone else dug out this thread.... :)

I headed up there a few weeks back to test out my legs and see what my winters training and first few races had done to my time and knocked almost a minute off my best. Made it up the "Howth, Sutton Side" segment in 8.10.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Lumen wrote: »
    What was your time?

Whats it called on Strava?

maloner wrote: »
    Yay someone else dug out this thread.... :)

I headed up there a few weeks back to test out my legs and see what my winters training and first few races had done to my time and knocked almost a minute off my best. Made it up the "Howth, Sutton Side" segment in 8.10.

42 mins, but thats because i didnt pause my strava when we stopped for coffee :pac:

I have it on the garmin but need to upload it, so i'll do that tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

42 mins, but thats because i didnt pause my strava when we stopped for coffee :pac:

I have it on the garmin but need to upload it, so i'll do that tonight

So that's 32 minutes rolling? :D

• Advertisement

So that's 32 minutes rolling? :D

Probably!
    No i went up all the way bar one stop to stretch out the back of my knee which took about 10 seconds, I kept decent pace with the 2 lads i was with which given my record on hills is an achievement itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Probably!
    No i went up all the way bar one stop to stretch out the back of my knee which took about 10 seconds, I kept decent pace with the 2 lads i was with which given my record on hills is an achievement itself!

http://app.strava.com/segments/3109297

That's the segment page - it's a popular one. You just need more and more practice climbing.

http://app.strava.com/segments/3109297

That's the segment page - it's a popular one. You just need more and more practice climbing.

If it think me 40 mins to do that it would time be time to hang up by SPDs :D
    It will be the route of choice with good weather and an early start!

Edit: its recorded on that link 14:51.
    3 mins slower than M...
    need to sort that out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Anybody try out the other side?

http://app.strava.com/segments/661174

I'm new to cycling but did this last week. Made it up in the one go without stopping, which was a goal in itself. I reckon it'll take a few more tries before I begin trying to break PB's, for the now it's a matter of getting up there in one piece!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Anybody try out the other side?

http://app.strava.com/segments/661174

I'm new to cycling but did this last week. Made it up in the one go without stopping, which was a goal in itself. I reckon it'll take a few more tries before I begin trying to break PB's, for the now it's a matter of getting up there in one piece!
    Next time try taking the road to the right of the church, I hear it's great fun*!

*may not be fun

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

Go up 4 times for the craic

1) Right of the church, and then swing right up Windgate Road for added fun;
    2)Then from Sutton side, go up from St Fintans Road (lovely dig there), rejoin the main road for the Summit for a few metres but branch off left to go up Wingate Road where there are two nice digs back up to the top
    3) Up from the village, the normal way left of the church; and
    4) The normal way from Sutton up to the Irish Times sign

Go home happy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Never did this (southside) so going to do a coast spin.
    What's the best as in toughest side to go from Sutton I take it?

See DD_Mikasa's post above. 1 is hardest, 4 is easiest.

I've done 1, 3 and 4. Haven't tried 2 yet*

*Possibly never...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Whats the strava segment called for this? Just wanted to see how I compare to the Boardies!

Maybe someone should set up a boardies strava club?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Green&Red wrote: »
    Whats the strava segment called for this? Just wanted to see how I compare to the Boardies!

Maybe someone should set up a boardies strava club?

Like this one?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement