Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howth Hill Climb

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrMischief

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    You get bored over 9 min? Are you sure cycling is for you?

I like taking different routes and different challenges as opposed to the same route all the time against the clock! I do enough of this on the commute to work where i'm stuck with the route i take so i like to mix it up when i'm out in my spare time.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Why does the course stop at the shop and not the top car park? Traffic? There's a good ramp up there past the pub

hardCopy wrote: »
    Why does the course stop at the shop and not the top car park? Traffic? There's a good ramp up there past the pub

Yeah thats where i'd go myself just for the extra mileage and lactic acid in the legs. Plus its a nice place to stop and take in the views;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

MrMischief wrote: »
    I like taking different routes and different challenges as opposed to the same route all the time against the clock! I do enough of this on the commute to work where i'm stuck with the route i take so i like to mix it up when i'm out in my spare time.;)

But surely you could use your commute to change the route? One way in one day, add a bit on for the way home via another place, etc...

If I had a commute to work I would use it to get as much variety in as possible and go out of my way one or two days a week to work in an extra long inward or outward journey.

Mix it up man!

There is another segment that goes to the top where the car park is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

But surely you could use your commute to change the route? One way in one day, add a bit on for the way home via another place, etc...

If I had a commute to work I would use it to get as much variety in as possible and go out of my way one or two days a week to work in an extra long inward or outward journey.

Mix it up man!

Yep, my long spin home last week went from 12KM downhill to 65KM taking in a lap of Howth. I took a long run home yesterday and it ended up being 18KM, going past my own house and finishing at my parents for dinner. Commute-Training is deadly buzz, as soon as you switch off the PC you throw on your gear and head out, no dead-time wasted in the evening.

Yep, my long spin home last week went from 12KM downhill to 65KM taking in a lap of Howth. I took a long run home yesterday and it ended up being 18KM, going past my own house and finishing at my parents for dinner. Commute-Training is deadly buzz, as soon as you switch off the PC you throw on your gear and head out, no dead-time wasted in the evening.

Its trying to find the time really during the commute. I work a 12 hour shift starting at 7am with each way being a commute of 22km so i'm leaving the house at 5.45am and not getting home until 8pm and clocking up 44km so not too bad. Throw seeing the kids before they go to bed into all that. I reallys use the commute as TT practise. When i do go out the weekends i do mix it up and dont usually plan a route and just go where my legs take me.

I hear what you're saying and it probably doesn't help that i live in Howth so maybe thats why i feel it's a tad boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭brasshead

9.02 from the Sutton Side (named "Howth, Sutton Side" on Strava). 9 second better than previous time. I reckon I could manage about 8.30 with a bit of practice.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Finally got round to doing this for the first time today - alas my official guide started me off about a kilometre too early, and I was held up by a car stopping to let another pass on the downward stretch, so plenty of excuses. Anyway, my time of 10m 10s got me into the top 200 in the TT segment - if I can improve it by a minute I may even get into the top 100...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Beasty - are you serious? First time up Howth. What have you been doing?

Was up there tonite for a workout.
    Divided climb into 3 * 1.2k segments.
    First was at AvHr of 151 and was slow.
    Next segment I upped it to 164HR and was reasonably brisk.
    Final 1.2k averaged 174k and hit my max HR and that was the fastest that I have ever done the final section.
    If I could average the full climb at an an average of my second and third segment I would take 2minutes off my best time thusfar.
    A big ask, but something to work on.

Also tried the Balscadden ramp - niceone. Short and steep. Sufferng disipates quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

ROK ON wrote: »
    Beasty - are you serious? First time up Howth. What have you been doing?

Fapping about on Turvey Avenue, waiting for tailwinds.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Raam wrote: »
    Fapping about on Turvey Avenue, waiting for tailwinds.
    ... but that's only because the tractors are too slow along there

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    Finally got round to doing this for the first time today - alas my official guide started me off about a kilometre too early, and I was held up by a car stopping to let another pass on the downward stretch, so plenty of excuses. Anyway, my time of 10m 10s got me into the top 200 in the TT segment - if I can improve it by a minute I may even get into the top 100...

TBF I did start you at the original TT start point for the Howth Hill climb dating back to the 1980's, little did I realise the Strava crew had foreshortened it to maker their times look better!

RobFowl wrote: »
    TBF I did start you at the original TT start point for the Howth Hill climb dating back to the 1980's, little did I realise the Strava crew had foreshortened it to maker their times look better!

I think that we can all agree that he is crap either way.

:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I think that we can all agree that he is crap either way.

:pac:

Seeing as how how I watched him disappear into the distance....

RobFowl wrote: »
    Seeing as how how I watched him disappear into the distance....

Oh, don't get me wrong - you are way crapper than him but he's still crap!!!

Half a victory in a "guess how slow we can go" time trial and suddenly Mr Lusk Doyle is a world-beater:rolleyes:

Half a victory in a "guess how slow we can go" time trial and suddenly Mr Lusk Doyle is a world-beater:rolleyes:

32nd from 556 and sub 8 minutes on that climb says so anyway :p

32nd from 556 and sub 8 minutes on that climb says so anyway :p
    So there are 31 faster than you? Have you ever actually won anything at this cycling lark (apart from the one I just mentioned)?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

So there are 31 faster than you? Have you ever actually won anything at this cycling lark (apart from the one I just mentioned)?

Actually, no. There are many more faster people were happy to ride up it fast without feeling the need to broadcast their awesomeness via Strava. :pac:

Manwithaplan, for instance, who IIRC doesn't even know what electricity is for.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »

Actually, no. There are many more faster people were happy to ride up it fast without feeling the need to broadcast their awesomeness via Strava. :pac:

Manwithaplan, for instance, who IIRC doesn't even know what electricity is for.

He has a time on the list.

It's not about winning. It's just about getting a reaction from you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Have you ever actually won anything at this cycling lark (apart from the one I just mentioned)?

I thought I won that (albeit my prize is still "detained" by the brothers Doyle, one of whom actually conjured up an entirely new human being in order to have "something more important to do".)

@Lumen - I have indeed submitted to this numbers lark, although unlike Beasty, I don't have Jean Byrne on speed dial.

I thought I won that (albeit my prize is still "detained" by the brothers Doyle, one of whom actually conjured up an entirely new human being in order to have "something more important to do".)

@Lumen - I have indeed submitted to this numbers lark, although unlike Beasty, I don't have Jean Byrne on speed dial.

Pure laziness on his part. Your house is on the way to and from the hospital! To be fair though MWAP, your partner still ain't got his prize either :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

so lets have it who won the 2up the Doyle bros or was it some body els ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

so lets have it who won the 2up the Doyle bros or was it some body els ?

*Remember - this is a social event*

*Remember - this is a social event*

Thats us so!

I thought there were 2 prizes - MWAP and Staro fastest, and the Brothers Grim with the Garmin stashed away in the pocket nearest to their predicted time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

so it wasnt even a proper race. Enough said

• Advertisement

I thought there were 2 prizes - MWAP and Staro fastest, and the Brothers Grim with the Garmin stashed away in the pocket nearest to their predicted time

What about the power meter that was "turned down" on staro's bars?!?

Most had garmins in pockets to record the ride. I spent too much time chewing the bars to even contemplate checking it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement