Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All ye oul wans and oul fellas out there! Wakey wakey, rise and shine!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

every day is a school day

I thought the Vikings went raping and pillaging, turns out they also went camping

who'd a thunk it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,055 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Rubecula wrote: »
    I always assumed Viking tents were made out of hide??

Wool actually, its thought they used the sail of the ship over a frame that they carried with them (evidence for this has been found) but to be honest there isnt a lot of information.

BBDBB wrote: »
    every day is a school day

I thought the Vikings went raping and pillaging, turns out they also went camping

who'd a thunk it

Well they had to take a breather even from raping and pillaging and grab some sleep somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Guess what I did today?? Go on, guess?

No?

Ok, I'll tell ye!

I bought my Christmas presents :D Done and dusted. YAY ME!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Have you been to New Yoik then?

• Advertisement

Good lord no :eek:

..Old Limerick :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Chucken wrote: »
    BANNED for out of season posting, general smart arseiness and a high smug rating while making everyone else feel inferior.

:p

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Ha! You think Im smug now? Wait 6 months when you're all panicking :pac::pac:

Yikes, is it only 6 months to Christmas?

It is :pac: We'd want to start unravelling the fairy lights soon!

• Advertisement

Any time I have bought Christmas presents early I have forgotten about them, bought different ones and found the originals around march.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Chucken wrote: »
    Guess what I did today?? Go on, guess?

No?

Ok, I'll tell ye!

First impression was that this might be the closest to a "neck-up" side effect from a "neck-down" illness.
    Hmmm! Well, you managed to avoid the piped Christmas dirges in the shops; the shoppers, blocking the footpaths by walking at the speed of continental drift; the newly-acquired "Hollywoodness" of the season and a hundred other horrors so, maybe, maybe, on this occasion, mockery should be replaced by respect(?). Fair play to you! Any spare time in the next few months? I could PM you my list.....if I had a list.....and if I knew what a PM was.

Nothing but free time here Brens :cool:

And I do love spending other peoples money....ummm this could be my new career!

Confess my first fleeting thought was 'how do you know who will still be alive come next Christmas' - sign I'm getting old...

OK, yizzar back from the Bank Holiday, so don your thinking caps. This fillosoffikal query has baffled the interweb so I thought I'd try the suppository of wisdom known as Oulwans and Oulfellas:

Have you noticed that most people are dissatisfied with their allocation of looks, or money, or health, or status, etc., but everybody on Earth seems entirely satisfied with their share of common sense? How does that work?
    • Are we all born with equal common sense? Except Darwin award winners and cookery show presenters, of course;
    • Would Darwin award winners and cookery show presenters agree that their share of common sense is deficient?
    • Why do most arguments come to a halt when one party declares "it's just common sense"?
    • Do we constantly acquire more common sense with ageing and politely defer to older oulwans and oulfellas? My buddy is even older than me and he still calls the transparent panels in his car the "windowscreens". Meanwhile, his teenage grandson is strutting around town with his jeans around his knees, proudly displaying his undies, skin and...hairs. Genetics?

Of course, it is just common sense that everyone would be satisfied with their common sense. Well except me when I do something stupid, usually something that common sense would dictate couldn't be fecked up made a mess of.
    Like pushing on a door clearly marked 'pull'. Or buying milk in the local shop (again) when I know for a fact it has a sell-by date of five minutes ago.

On the other hand I do think your thesis has some non-sequiturs and straw-man arguments. Though I mainly wrote that last sentence so I could get to use those fancy academic terms without fear of too much contradiction - I normally can't quite get my head round what a straw-man argument is, but I think there is one there.

The thing about common sense is...........it isn't as common as you'd think

looksee wrote: »
    On the other hand I do think your thesis has some non-sequiturs and straw-man arguments. Though I mainly wrote that last sentence so I could get to use those fancy academic terms without fear of too much contradiction - I normally can't quite get my head round what a straw-man argument is, but I think there is one there.

I thought I should look up "non-sequiturs and straw-man arguments" but then I remembered sharpening the blades of a non-sequiturs for my gardening-mad neighbour some years ago so that she would go away and argue with her straw-man scarecrow instead.

"Every hour spent working in the garden is two hours wasted." Ch. 14; para 9; "The Wisdom of BrensBenz", Ed. 6, 1981. ISBN 1185011850

Anyway, a new series of Grumpy Old Men is being produced and I've applied. As a non-celeb, I need commendations from the general public, so feel free to contact the production company on my behalf.
    My manifesto includes, but is not limited to TV cookery shows (of course); txtspk; facial jewellery; marzipan; helplines; Jonaffon Woss pwezentin' ev'wy awode show for yihzzz; Yanks talking about movie praymeers; allergies de jour; speedbumps; the smell of stale chewing gum, etc., etc.

The new series is praymeering early next year so yiz have lots of time to add to this list.

Lists. You should add Lists to that, ermmm, errr, ehhh...Nothing to see here folks, move along, move along please.

Oh God, dodderation has set in here!! What's to become of us all! :eek:

• Advertisement

I breaking out tonight to see a show containing scantily clad folk and comedians. There may be cigars and rum involved. I may hug some of the above mentioned folk. I might partake of more then rum.

If Nurse asks I'm out walking the gardens.

EDIT: Walking IN the gardens. Walking the gardens might seem a bit silly to some.

Well, I'm back after the summer! Great wasn't it? :(

Chuckie, where did you go for the long hot summer, your back yard?

Yep! All the way to the back yard.

And back of course! :D I'm jealous, I didn't go anywhere for the long hot summer. Now I wish I'd made it at least to our shed and back, but sure there's always next year.

Im thinking of taking a long weekend down by the compost heap in late September

Ooohhh mister fancy pants! Trying to out do the rest of us :D

Yes, the kids today, don't know they're born, do they? :)

I'm gonna miss this years Pride parade in Dublin. Wifey has booked me in elsewhere for the weekend. Much as I'm going to enjoy myself I'm a bit sad to miss the parade. It's one of the highlights of my (photography) year. Lots of friends out there giving it large and I'll miss it. :(
    Roll on Pride 2014.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    I now have the timbers for my viking tent done (though they need oiling) and I have the fabric for the cover cut out and one seam sewn. Yesterday. A 6 meter seam in canvas. Too knackered today, hopefully I will do another seam tomorrow!

Morpheus may have kept me horizontal for a week or so but images of this project were lodged in my head throughout! Six metre seams? It must be bleed'n hewidge! How will you get it into your rucksack?
    And as for the tent material, Mr. Wikipedia contends that a roughly woven WOOLEN material called Wadmal was most likely used for the sails of Viking long ships so it would be reasonable to assume that wadmal was used for their tents also.
    Well, boats are a particular interest of mine but, while under the influence, I imagined a huge wooley gansie, hanging from a Viking yard-arm, dripping rain onto the horny hats below and a lookout in the breast pocket, with bare legs itching from days of exposure to rough wool. When setting out from Vikland, the sail was perfectly proportioned, oiled, efficient, menacing, but, on arrival at Victimland, the now rain-soaked sail stank and had expanded and enveloped the entire ship, oars protruding like centipedes legs.
    If the magnificent lines of a Viking long ship could be reduced to ridicule by a woolen sail, what must it have done to their tents? Wise move choosing canvas. Any chance of photos?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement