Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All ye oul wans and oul fellas out there! Wakey wakey, rise and shine!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Are any of ye interested in this? I've been following some posts here about the naming of our new bridge over the Liffey. Read about it here http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0516/450633-bridge-shortlist/

I never heard of some of those folk but I believe Walton is the only Irish person to get a Nobel for prize something other than poetry or peacemaking viz., something science-y. Now I'm sure with all the brains on O & O's ye can come up with something better than the suggestions already sent in. Come on I know you can liven it up a bit!! :)

P.S. Chuckie, no, I gave up Eurovision years ago. I heard a bit of the Irish one on a trailer last night, sounds ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

T'Other Side Bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Rubecula wrote: »
    T'Other Side Bridge?

is that like the opposite of the wrong side of the tracks?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

My fav suggestion has been The Danial Day LUAS bridge. I would have liked it to been called after Constable Shanahn whose memorial was dismantled during the build of the bridge. Page 29 of this...
    http://www.dublincity.ie/SiteCollectionDocuments/history_monuments_oconnell_st.pdf

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

That sounds a good idea OG.

• Advertisement

Brilliant idea OG! I always meant to take a photo of that monument and now its gone. Anyone know if its to be moved nearby? I might just vote for Sheahan now.

Daniel Day Luas - clever one as well!! Doesn't beat Sheahan for me though!

Council are going to replace it after the bridge construction.

where is the bridge going to and where from OG?

EDIT: will it be a car or a foot bridge?

The bridge is well under construction. The span is almost complete and after that they just have to lay the surface and the tracks. It runs from Mal;borough Street on the northside (just by the Abbey Theater) to Hawkins Street on the southside. It's for the LUAS and buses.
    http://www.dublincity.ie/ROADSANDTRAFFIC/MAJORTRANSPORTPROJECTS/Pages/MarlboroughStreetPublic.aspx

Public transport across north to south has always been terrible. If I didn't know better I'd think that the good folk of Grafton Street and it's environs didn't want us northsiders to call by.

>.>
    <.<

I am going to need a new streetmap of Dublin. (Apart from the fact I left my old one in Pearse Street Library) :D

• Advertisement

We buy a new map of Dublin every couple of years. If we didn't we'd get lost! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

There I was, idly watching St John the Gambler's new music video (Lemonade Man) when a familiar face appeared! You know who you are :D

A brilliant video, a brilliant song: http://www.goldenplec.com/saint-john-the-gambler-lemonade-man-video/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Lookin' good "Lemonade Man" :D

Ah yes, I see who you mean. I was actually quite worried that I had been sussed 'cos I'm the one holding the placard! I was on an anti-drinking campaign that night, seriously! :D Thankfully you didn't notice me 'cos you were too busy watching himself looking sooooo smooth in the fedora! That goatee's getting longer every time I see it.

Typecast or wha?

Giggles! :D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,112 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Popping in to say hi! How are ye all? My recent 'oul wan' experiences have revealed a few things! I opted out of modding some while ago because I was not feeling the best, due to a lot of personal stuff, but it continued on and I didn't seem to be getting the better of it despite efforts to pull out of it.

So now I have a reason, I am suffering from sleep apnoea. In spades! I have had a preliminary test and am waiting for an appointment at the sleep clinic. For anyone who does not know, it means that you don't get into really deep sleep, the kind that revives you for the new day. As soon as you start to slip into deep sleep you stop breathing and then gasp for air - I am going 30 to 50 seconds of not breathing - which does not wake you completely, but brings you out of the deep sleep. So I end up frazzled and exhausted, and at times quite irrational and depressed. Even knowing about it is a great help, at least I know I am not going crazy!

Even going privately it will be another 6 weeks or so to get an appointment, but as far as I understand, once it has been checked out and appropriate action taken the results are miraculous! I really do hope! Its a physiological rather than a medical thing, so its not a case of 'more tablets'!

If this is of any help or interest to anyone, its worth spreading the word. Take care all of ye, hope I will be bouncing back in to say hello more often, soon.

God bless you Looksee, I have every hope that all this will soon be sorted for you in a matter of course. Take great care of yourself, you are indeed missed here on O&O.

Hya stranger! :)

I gots the apnoea too. Years ago I was given those nose clip things but I'd wrestle it off during the night so they failed totally. Same with using anyform of mask, I'd just swipe it off during my nightly tussle with the quilt. I'm lucky enough to be able to get by on what sleep I do catch but I've been told to expect that to change in the future.
    Cross that bridge when I come to it.

Delighted to hear that you finally have something to pin your irritability on rather then blame us in here.
    /Ducks, runs, giggles :D

Thanks OG, yes I think I was in that situation for a long time, bouts of being tired for no reason, but mostly ok, but over the last couple of years, and especially the last couple of months it kind of went into overdrive, probably the kind of thing you were warned about. I'm like a zombie most of the time, but hopefully it will improve as I get some sort of solution!

Cheers, thanks for your good wishes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Poor Looksee! I hope you get that sorted soon. Mind yourself, we miss you :)

So sorry to hear what you've been going through Looksee. Hope everything works out well and soon. You were wise to drop off the modding. Its time to look after you now. God bless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

looksee wrote: »
    once it has been checked out and appropriate action taken the results are miraculous! I really do hope! Its a physiological rather than a medical thing, so its not a case of 'more tablets'

Best wishes to you, Looksee, and, if of any comfort, one of my buddies came through this last year and is now disgracefully healthy again, visiting boards.ie regularly, getting offended on our behalf (AH).

Judging by recent posts here, the vast (why is the majority always "vast"?) majority of us have ailments, the vast majority of which have serious, primary symptoms AND psychological / physiological side effects. For instance, my own recent difficulties have made me much more emotional than the cold, cruel b@$t@rd I was for the vast majority of my life.

Has anyone else here noticed a "neck-up" side effect from a "neck-down" complaint?

Could it be due to the realisation that immortality isn't real and that medical science, marvellous as it is, will eventually fail? That we may not get that telegram from our Head of State after all?

I is like soooooo looking forward to grammar and spell-checkin' my telegram an' stuff from like President Jedward no whut awm sayin'? "I'm like what's a telegram, dude?"

With that prospect in mind, maybe I'll forego medical assistance next time!

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Has anyone else here noticed a "neck-up" side effect from a "neck-down" complaint?

Yes indeed. Depression can set in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

In keeping with my theory that, to get through a rough patch, you need a target beyond that rough patch, e.g. jobs in the shed, I've found the ideal vestment. The URL below probably won't work and, since the "how to" is indecipherable, (written by nerds, in Nerdish, for nerds, fluent in Nerdish) I've added the main features here:

10 yes, 10 x pockets, including back
    •Thigh & mobile phone holster pockets
    •Reinforced knees
    •Straight leg design
    •7 x belt loops
    •Zip fly
    •Triple stitched for longer life
    Stain resistant
    Teflon coated

Alternatively, there is an advanced version with "pockets" over your kneecaps, into which you can fit kneepads. Brilliant!
    Ten pockets - pills; keys; Swiss army knife; coins for the car park; zapper for the alarm; gobstoppers; the fuse to remind you to buy more fuses; the mystery "treasure" you found on the beach that might come in handy someday; a Bonio for the mad setter who comes into the shed every morning, leaving loads of room for manly (hands in pockets) standing around;
    Stain resistant, well, we'll see about that;
    Teflon coated, so, after having performed miracles in the shed, you don't get an earful for sitting on the precious sofa, etc.

I'm delaying my order because I don't know what size I'll be after the treatment but it looks like the days of hearing Gok Wan-type advice about my shedwear are about to end for ever.

[/URL]http://www.screwfix.com/p/blackrock-grampian-grey-trousers-32-w-31-l/45816#[/URL]

I've gone through dozens of sets of overalls. A conservative estimate would be 4 sets per year. I get to play in a metal workshop with all sorts of wonderful welders, plasma cutters, rollings mills, angle grinders, oxy cutters, forklifts etc. Wonderful toys. :)
    After years of replacing overalls and toecapped boots I find that I still have the very first leather apron I got and it's still in fine fettle.

I also eschewed the large toolbelt in favour of a small one, a single hammer loop and a pouch for whatever tool I need at that moment. All other tools live on the bench so I don't have to carry them around all the time. It's seems silly to me to carry around 100lbs of tools when all you want for the job is a screwdriver. :)

I can just imagine how long I would spend looking on the bench for tools that were in my tool belt!

Agree about the project, I now have the timbers for my viking tent done (though they need oiling) and I have the fabric for the cover cut out and one seam sewn. Yesterday. A 6 meter seam in canvas. Too knackered today, hopefully I will do another seam tomorrow!

Hand stitched?

No, machined. Its a bit of a struggle though as I am using tent thread and jeans needle in an ordinary machine and its difficult to keep the tension right. It is incredibly slow, three lines of stitching for each seam, could be a long job!

• Advertisement

I always assumed Viking tents were made out of hide??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement