Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All ye oul wans and oul fellas out there! Wakey wakey, rise and shine!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,056 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It is, as you say, bleedin' hewidge. And even at that it is nowhere near full size. It stands 8ft high at the peak, but of course since it is a ridge tent there is not the amount of space you might be used to in a modern tent. the base is 9 ft x 12ft. I have had the frame put up (I needed help!) and the main canvas thrown over and its looking good. I have had to wait for some more sewing thread to finish the front and back, then stitch them in place and add ties etc. Its well on the way though. Should have photos soon.

Yes, you are right, the originals were made of wool, but that isn't practical as the frame would have to be even more massive to support the weight of it - apart from the cost of getting suitable wool. In fact the modern versions cheat a bit more too, as presumably the original would have just been a huge square thrown over the A frame, so the front and back would have been draped and folded, whereas now they are made to fit. Sure its all great fun! :D

Edit to add - the tent was actually the sail of the ship, they carried timbers (on one ship that was found anyway) to turn the sail into a tent and (I think) used the mast into the ridgepole. Its all held together with round tenons with pegs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

If I'm ever marooned or lost anywhere, I wanna be marooned with Ray Mears.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

My sincere apologies for my absence lately folks. I had trouble with the strait jacket, Nursey made it too tight and I had a problem escaping. Got fed up with being thrown raw meat for breakfast too.... it makes the manacles rusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

No need to apologise.

You need to grovel instead. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Is that a Kelloggs or a Nestlé cereal? Kellogg's Grovel sounds about right. :D

* Gets down on his knees .... Ties OG's shoelaces together and runs for the hills

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Did ye see this?
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0625/458767-portugal-bingo/

Serves them right :pac:

Chucken wrote: »
    Did ye see this?

What got me was "A number of people not playing were arrested for observing a crime" :eek:

The Sun newspaper reported that two plain-clothed police officers infiltrated the bingo-playing group after staking out the pub for weeks.

Had they anything else to do I wonder? :pac:

Chucken wrote: »
    Did ye see this?

BANNED! Introduction of forbidden word (even if it's quoted from another source).
    Tut, tut, tut.

/Power crazed mod strikes again.

Well said OG get all references to wild Australian dogs out of here..... Oh hang on I think that's Dingo. :D

• Advertisement

I was waiting for that :p

Rubecula wrote: »
    Dingo.
    /Fingers twitching on the BanHammer handle

Careful there Ted. With my failing eyesight I could easily read that incorrectly.

Oooooh Lordy, I'd clean forgotten all about the ban. Glad it wasn't me that was caught out! Either saying the banned word, or playing B---o! It was Chuckie's fault Miss! :P

You play the Banjo? Cool!
    We should get together for a session.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Oooooh Lordy, I'd clean forgotten all about the ban. Glad it wasn't me that was caught out! Either saying the banned word, or playing B---o! It was Chuckie's fault Miss! :P

You called OG Miss?

Have I been missing something here?

The pink tutu and feathers are a dead giveaway! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

to be fair, the wax on the moustache made it a 50/50 call

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Is that a Kelloggs or a Nestlé cereal? Kellogg's Grovel sounds about right. :D

* Gets down on his knees .... Ties OG's shoelaces together and runs for the hills
    kellogs-nestle this thread is turning into a cereal

Starting to Snap Crackle and Pop for sure

Starting to Snap Crackle and Pop for sure

Oh dear, I almost said something rude! :o

• Advertisement

Just a heads up.
    I'm going to be off line for a week or so from Friday and then again mid August. If any of ye spot anything untoward happening on the forum please use the "Report Post" button and that will send a notification to the CMods who'll take a look at it.
    Or, if you really have to you can PM them with any queries. However as I know you are all reasonable and level headed I'm sure there will be nothing controversial happening.

Also remember that I can use the ban-hammer retrospectively when I get back so forget about chatting on forbidden topics!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

............Mother Superior calling Little Bo Peep, Mother Superior calling Little Bo Peep, the Rooster has left the henhouse, I repeat, the Rooster has left the henhouse, Operation Navy Sister is green for go, Operation Navy Sister is green for go.......

Careful now. Don't make me use the Bat-Signal Beruthiel-Signal.

BBDBB wrote: »
    ............Mother Superior calling Little Bo Peep, Mother Superior calling Little Bo Peep, the Rooster has left the henhouse, I repeat, the Rooster has left the henhouse, Operation Navy Sister is green for go, Operation Navy Sister is green for go.......

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D...to infinity!!!

OldGoat wrote: »
    However as I know you are all reasonable and level headed

Hahahahahaha...

HA.

Careful now. Don't make me use the Bat-Signal Beruthiel-Signal.

My gawd OG you can be cruel to us oulwans and oulfellas when you really want to.

Besides isn't Beruthiel a caller at the local ***** hall? :D:D:D

Just a heads up.
    I'm going to be off line for a week or so from Friday and then again mid August. If any of ye spot anything untoward happening on the forum please use the "Report Post" button and that will send a notification to the CMods who'll take a look at it.
    Or, if you really have to you can PM them with any queries. However as I know you are all reasonable and level headed I'm sure there will be nothing controversial happening.

Going to doo-lally-land for your holliers, are you?

*Digs out his booklet of controversial subjects*

Hmmm Alphabetically arranged too.

A is for Ankles as seen on Matron

B is for B .... oops

Run wild. Run free.

• Advertisement

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Run wild. Run free.

Iron Maiden in here????????