Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All ye oul wans and oul fellas out there! Wakey wakey, rise and shine!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭looksee

*earworm* You are my sunshine, my only sunshine...

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Lexicographer

You have a beautiful singing voice.

Finally realised a life ambition am going to Royal Shakespeare Company next week to see Shakespeare, went on line to check tickets and I've booked a performance in Russian. Now I know I am getting old, didn't see that when I booked the tickets!!!! On the up side people around me are rolling on the ground laughing ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Alice1

Finally realised a life ambition am going to Royal Shakespeare Company next week to see Shakespeare, went on line to check tickets and I've booked a performance in Russian. Now I know I am getting old, didn't see that when I booked the tickets!!!! On the up side people around me are rolling on the ground laughing ...
    Shakespeare - in Russian? Wow, not many folk can say they've done that. Enjoy your individuality Lexi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Lexi does that mean that you ain't got no words in Russian! Now that's what I call funny, darlin'. See, ah'm laughin' so much.....

• Advertisement

Is it true we're having sunshine next week again?
    Rubecula wrote: »
    That is a good question, well phrased. It deserves a good answer.

Jellybaby, answer Lexi's question for her will you?

Well, I was going to check the weather forecast for you, but himself just said his bunions are acting up, so that's enough forecast for me. :rolleyes: It's gonna rain again soon.

No Russian ... but to get through the performance I will bring medicinal vodka, not really a vodka drinker, but when in Stratford .... Talking about vodka, I really fancy a prosecco now.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Lexi does that mean that you ain't got no words in Russian! Now that's what I call funny, darlin'. See, ah'm laughin' so much.....

Didn't realise you were so attractive!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

To me it would be just as easy to understand in Russian, Outer Mongolian, or English.

I have never been able to read right through any of his works and fully understand what was going on or what was said. Everyone says how good he is so I am not disagreeing. It could just be me being a bit thick.

No, you are not thick, he is a playwright, not meant to be read, only enjoyable when watched, think of a film you love, not the same as the book, he was written for action. I just love his wit, he makes me laugh, sometimes cry, Romeo was a prat, and Shakespeare thought so to. Having said that I will qualify, if a book is written, it is meant to be read, if a film is written it is meant to be watched, so I always think book is better, but if a film is written and then they write the book, the film is better. Rant over, think I will have that proscesso now. I like words, I like how people speak, but it doesn't have to be 'perfect' english, I like different things, Roger Gough is one of my favourite poets, and he is a huge kids favourite, but sometimes he makes me laugh, and Defying Gravity makes me cry. Maybe I am too old ...

• Advertisement

No not too old. Indeed if we all had the same tastes in literature the world would be an awful and boring place. My tastes have always been a little different to many others. Classic literature to me is more Victoriana than Elizabethan. But that is just my taste.

Oh and I still really enjoy The Scarlet Pimpernel Stories, The Count of Monte Cristo, The Three Musketeers and such like.

Gravity is one of the oldest tricks in the book.
    Let go of the book and it abseils to the ground
    As if, at the centre of the earth, spins a giant yo-yo
    To which everything is attached by an invisible string.

Tear out a page of the book and make an aeroplane.
    Launch it. For an instant it seems that you have fashioned
    A shape that can outwit air, that has slipped the knot.
    But no. The earth turns, the winch tightens, it is wound in.

One of my oldest friends is, at this time of writing,
    Attempting to defy gravity, and will surely succeed,
    Eighteen months ago he was playing rugby,
    Now, seven stones lighter, his wife carries his aw-

Kwardly from room to room. Arranges him gently
    Upon the sofa for the visitors. ‘How are things?’
    Asks one, now wanting to know. Pause. ‘Not too bad.’
    (Open brackets. Condition inoperable. Close brackets.)

Soon now, the man that I love (not an armful of bones)
    Will defy gravity. Freeing himself from the tackle
    He will sidestep the opposition and streak down the wing
    Towards a dimension as yet unimagined.

Back where the strings are attached there will be a service
    And homage paid to the giant yo-yo. A box of left-overs
    Will be lowered into a space on loan from the clay.
    Then weighted down, the living will walk wearily away.

Hope I'm not a downer, but don't you love how he does Aw
    kwardly ....
    Hope the moderator is not annoyed with me.

I also have a secret love of G. Heyer, hope I'm not on my own ...

Three musketeers is one of those that is great as film and book.

I was just thinking that myself after I posted.

Didn't realise you were so attractive!

Oh, you! :o

I sooooo agree with you about Roger McGough. But, I can’t read his poetry, I must hear him read it because for me, that works better. His excellent delivery of his own words is absolutely necessary. Hence, I never buy and rarely read poetry. A philistine, me! There is always his Lily (the Pink, the Pink, the Pink) and I used to sing Lily for ages. As for Shakespeare, well I never studied him because I left school at a tender age long before William and I would have been introduced. However, I have been to some of his plays and enjoyed them immensely (isn’t this a bit like ‘Educating (Jellybaby) Rita?!). Now I find I am not the only fan of G. Heyer, (hurrah!). Georgette was my main reading material when I was in my early teens. I also read Cartland but too much bodice-ripping there be, for me.

Just wanted to let you guys know I will be offline for a few days. See you when I get back. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Alice1

Ok Rubes. I will probably not be online much myself for a wee bit. My daughter had an operation on her back on 7 Aug and came home from hospital today. She will need a bit of care for the next while.

Just wanted to let you guys know I will be offline for a few days. See you when I get back. :)

See ya later alligator!
    Alice1 wrote: »
    Ok Rubes. I will probably not be online much myself for a wee bit. My daughter had an operation on her back on 7 Aug and came home from hospital today. She will need a bit of care for the next while.

Ali I hope your daughter has a speedy recovery from the op. Family comes first!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Hi all :) Been a busy bee for the past little while.

Alice I hope your daughter is recovering well xxxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

Hey Chuckey :D

How is the grandma to be?

Hey Ramette :)
    Im great!! Having great fun buying little tiny clothes :D

* Avoids stepping in Chucken's soup in case it rots his boots *

Thinking of you Alice. Bless you all.

Not long to go now Chuck??

I am back by the way, I would have been in sooner but had to go along to the hospital for a while.

Hopefully everyone is in fine fettle and not bothering Nurse too much.

Hey Rube
    How is life treating you? I always picture you on the edge of a wind ravaged cliff (dont know why!:P) I feel i should be knitting you geansai's from aran wool :D

* Avoids stepping in Chucken's soup in case it rots his boots *

Thinking of you Alice. Bless you all.

Not long to go now Chuck??

I am back by the way, I would have been in sooner but had to go along to the hospital for a while.

Hopefully everyone is in fine fettle and not bothering Nurse too much.

I'll make MORE soup if you dont watch it ;)

117 days to go Rube :D His pic is up next door!!!
    Ramette wrote: »
    Hey Rube
    How is life treating you? I always picture you on the edge of a wind ravaged cliff (dont know why!:P) I feel i should be knitting you geansai's from aran wool :D

Like Heathcliff???

Chucken wrote: »
    ILike Heathcliff???

Yep :D I do like my men all silent and broody (swoon)

Yep :D I do like my men all silent and broody (swoon)

....not rube then :D

Chucken wrote: »
    ....not rube then :D

*Awaits Rube's retort with interest*.....

*Awaits Rube's retort with interest*.....

:D He'll never get the better of me!

I'll threaten him with more soup :cool:

• Advertisement

Chuck did you not know that Rube pours your soup into Alice's plant pots?

Anyone feel that it got dark really early this evening :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement