Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All ye oul wans and oul fellas out there! Wakey wakey, rise and shine!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I wish! I never realised there were actual Lamp Lighters tall bikes. Mine is a normal diamond frame 'safety' bike used by the lamplighters to get around the city. More like this:
    0dfb97e94c68a9d1d2a056e87735_grande.jpg

Seems pretty dull after seeing those Tall Bikes. :o

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

So yours would be more your window-cleaner's bike, then? :D

No, it's a real lamplighters bike, owned by staff of Dublin Corporation (Dublin City Council) Public Lighting Division and used by lamplighters to light lamps. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I really like it OG wouldn't say no to one of those myself. Looks great mate.

Mine is far from that condition but it's the closest I could find in Creative Commons photographs. Hate to tread on Sean Sherlocks toes till we know exactly whats happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I am going to have to look on the sales boards for one I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

OG..were you wearing a brown jacket jeans and a hat today? If not there was the spit of you on the south quays this evening...

Master chef final on tonight...BBC 9pm....has been excellent to date so really looking forward to it....reckon Shelina has it but I think Tom is the overall better chef creativity wise...

Cicero wrote: »
    OG..were you wearing a brown jacket jeans and a hat today? If not there was the spit of you on the south quays this evening...

Master chef final on tonight...BBC 9pm....has been excellent to date so really looking forward to it....reckon Shelina has it but I think Tom is the overall better chef creativity wise...
    Yeah that would have been me striding down the road to get the train. If you called out to me and I ignored you it's cos I had headphones on. Sorry. :o

I know of 2 others who look remarkably like me. I've been trying to come up with an act for us to do, something along the lines of a pisstake of The Three Little Maids from School - The Mikado. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,068 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Apropos of absolutely nothing, has anyone else noticed how little 'thanking' goes on in this forum? Not complaining, just interesting that we seem to get along mostly by discussion rather than thumbs up. Or am I imagining things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Let me be the first looksee!
    Hadn't noticed so thank you again :D

• Advertisement

Lordy lordy, so now we have a thanks fest :D

looksee wrote: »
    Apropos of absolutely nothing, has anyone else noticed how little 'thanking' goes on in this forum? Not complaining, just interesting that we seem to get along mostly by discussion rather than thumbs up. Or am I imagining things?
    ^^^Thankshoorin' :)

I use the thanks quite a bit, mostly to let the natives know that I'm watching them and polishing the oul banhammer.
    <-<
    >->
    cool.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

To be honest I prefer discussion and only thank if I've nothing to say about what I've read here - more often than not I forget even to thank because it's not the same as meeting people somewhere like a pub.

OldGoat wrote: »
    ^^^Thankshoorin' :)

Yes, yes I realised that as soon as Spread posted! I'll keep my theories to myself in future :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

I wish! I never realised there were actual Lamp Lighters tall bikes. Mine is a normal diamond frame 'safety' bike used by the lamplighters to get around the city. More like this:
    0dfb97e94c68a9d1d2a056e87735_grande.jpg

Seems pretty dull after seeing those Tall Bikes. :o
    just looks like the one my dog would chase the postman with,soon sorted that out,i took the bike off him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

mark twain,learn to ride a bike,and you will not regret it if you live,i was riding my bike last week and a car passing me was flashing his lights and shouting pig pig,i stuck up two fingers at him turned the corner and ran into a pig

I miss my bike, can't ride them any more because of back injury. I can ride recumbent bikes now but they cost a fortune.

Galen wrote: »
    I miss my bike, can't ride them any more because of back injury. I can ride recumbent bikes now but they cost a fortune.

Saw a chap on one of those last week in Terenure area of Dublin. He was on the footpath which is quite narrow, no room for him to pass pedestrians who got quite a fright to find him so close behind, and I felt he should have been on the road. It did look quite comfortable compared to an ordinary bike. You could have a cuppa and watch TV on that as you ride along! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Saw a chap on one of those last week in Terenure area of Dublin. He was on the footpath which is quite narrow, no room for him to pass pedestrians who got quite a fright to find him so close behind, and I felt he should have been on the road. It did look quite comfortable compared to an ordinary bike. You could have a cuppa and watch TV on that as you ride along! :)

You'd be correct to feel that way. Cycling on the footpath is illegal and is a pet peeve of mine.

If I were allowed to add another bicycle to my collection then it might be well be one like it for a casual shopping expedition or to go berry gathering. For the full laid back, utilitarian effect I'd want a big, black butcher's basket on the front.

Abso-bloody-lutely that cyclist should never be the footpath. Idiots make up a high percentage of drivers, cyclists and pedestrians in equal measure. I'm passed a Swinford man driving along at 50mph with his newspaper laid across his driving wheel.

• Advertisement

Yeah that would have been me striding down the road to get the train. If you called out to me and I ignored you it's cos I had headphones on. Sorry. :o
    l:

Was driving so you wouldn't have heard me anyway..:D
    looksee wrote: »
    Apropos of absolutely nothing, has anyone else noticed how little 'thanking' goes on in this forum? Not complaining,..

Ha!.. Where have I heard that before..OK OK...Looksee...you're doing a super job..THANKS for all the great modding to date....

*Diaries forward to thank Looksee again in 2 weeks time* :P

Mercy Buckets to one and all! (or merci beaucoup even! :D)

Mercy buckets to you too. I'm going out for a pint and maybe do a spot of sheep-worrying :-D

Will anybody be here on St. Patrick's Day, or are you all out watching your local parades, or propping up a bar somewhere? Will there be tumbleweeds rolling through the corridors of God's Waiting Rooms?

I'll be propping up a bar, no alcohol but I doubt I'll spend much time watching the parade. Small town with the same rubbish parade every year - no thanks 3-I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

We're having an open house here tomorrow ........ 4PM 'til midnight. Anyone that wants to come is welcome. I know of 14 definite. Irish food and lots of booze. Forecast is 15 - 17C and sunny. Will post a pic. All the local radios are getting in on the act and Corned Beef & Cabbage plus the trimmngs is being put on in a lot of the various churches to raise money ........ but at around $8 per meal .......... they won't have much profit. The pubs and restaurants are doing green beer/whiskey and even bread. One menu says that Leprechauns will not be charged if over 90 and accompanied by both parents. The guy is Greek and all his staff are dressed in green today and tomorrow. For some reason Thin Lizzy, Van The Man and Clannad are being played a lot during the week. One guy sang a parody of the Beach Boys [(Wouldn't It Be Nice) to be in Ireland]. Can't believe that there is so much interest as there are only half a dozen Irish-born within a ten mile radius of the nearest town which has a population of about 24K. In the stores - rows and rows of green clothes with shamrocks. T shirts, hats, aprons, scarves ...... even pyjamas ........ all proclaiming that the wearer is Irish.

bilde?Site=DA&Date=20120316&Category=ENTLIFE&ArtNo=703169928&Ref=EP&NewTbl=1&item=1&maxw=248&maxh=169The Chicago River will be dyed green for the St. Patrick’s Day Saturday.

Anyway, Happy St Patrick's Day to everyone. :D

Cicero wrote: »
    Was driving so you wouldn't have heard me anyway..:D

Ha!.. Where have I heard that before..OK OK...Looksee...you're doing a super job..THANKS for all the great modding to date....

*Diaries forward to thank Looksee again in 2 weeks time* :P

ALL right! Yiz are all very smart...

Spread wrote: »
    We're having an open house here tomorrow ........ 4PM 'til midnight. Anyone that wants to come is welcome. I know of 14 definite. Irish food and lots of booze. Forecast is 15 - 17C and sunny. Will post a pic. All the local radios are getting in on the act and Corned Beef & Cabbage plus the trimmngs is being put on in a lot of the various churches to raise money ........ but at around $8 per meal .......... they won't have much profit. The pubs and restaurants are doing green beer/whiskey and even bread. One menu says that Leprechauns will not be charged if over 90 and accompanied by both parents. The guy is Greek and all his staff are dressed in green today and tomorrow. For some reason Thin Lizzy, Van The Man and Clannad are being played a lot during the week. One guy sang a parody of the Beach Boys [(Wouldn't It Be Nice) to be in Ireland]. Can't believe that there is so much interest as there are only half a dozen Irish-born within a ten mile radius of the nearest town which has a population of about 24K. In the stores - rows and rows of green clothes with shamrocks. T shirts, hats, aprons, scarves ...... even pyjamas ........ all proclaiming that the wearer is Irish.

bilde?Site=DA&Date=20120316&Category=ENTLIFE&ArtNo=703169928&Ref=EP&NewTbl=1&item=1&maxw=248&maxh=169The Chicago River will be dyed green for the St. Patrick’s Day Saturday.

Anyway, Happy St Patrick's Day to everyone. :D

And here we are singularly failing to eat corned beef and cabbage or dye rivers green (except accidentally) and the beer is the usual colour, we're a dreary lot! Have a great day anyway!

Happy St Patricks day all....

teddybearpatricks.gif

• Advertisement

Happy St. Patrick's Day to all :-D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement