Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

thehorse wrote: »
    Total waste of time, no answers to any questions .....

Ironically, I missed the end of Pointless to watch this on the Oireachtas channel :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭uli84

Do people find screening for complications done in the hospital diabetes clinics enough? Is there anything worth doing privately?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

I was started on new tablets 850mg metafornin a week ago.

Since then my sugars have been stable, they seem to be staying in and around 7.

Until today, went to the gym on an empty stomach and they shot up from 7 to 10.4. I'm hoping they should go back to normal, or else I may need to rethink my routine and start going to the gym after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

pew wrote: »

Until today, went to the gym on an empty stomach and they shot up from 7 to 10.4. I'm hoping they should go back to normal, or else I may need to rethink my routine and start going to the gym after work.

read back a couple of pages, there was somebody talking about this effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

read back a couple of pages, there was somebody talking about this effect.

That was me asking initially :o I think part of the answer was related to type 1 as in be careful with the dose of injection, whereas I'm type 2. It should go back to normal anyway.

• Advertisement

That was me asking initially :o I think part of the answer was related to type 1 as in be careful with the dose of injection, whereas I'm type 2. It should go back to normal anyway.

one of the people who replied to you is type 2 i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

I emailed my TDs about it and I got a standard response from the HSE about it.

The Minister will be answering questions about it in the Dail today at 5.00pm.

So I got reply from Charlie Flanagan's office on Saturday (who knew they worked 6 days a week!)

Anywho, was asked to pass on my mobile number and that "Charlie has raised the issue with Minister Harris" and they will revert to me with an update, or I can call his office this week some time.

Sure all we can do is keep putting pressure on them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

one of the people who replied to you is type 2 i believe.

My answer was for type 1s but, depending at what stage you are with type 2, a not too dissimilar effect will occur. For most type 2s, unless it has progressed quite a bit, I imagine would return to normal after awhile.

CramCycle wrote: »
    My answer was for type 1s but, depending at what stage you are with type 2, a not too dissimilar effect will occur. For most type 2s, unless it has progressed quite a bit, I imagine would return to normal after awhile.

I was referring to Makikomi.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7089-2Tje0&t=5s

Worth a watch re exercise and diabetes. While its primarily aimed at T1 diabetes, it gives a good explanation of how blood glucose reacts to different types of exercise and how to plan around this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

33 years since I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes - I used to get upset as a child but got into the habit of only allowing this day to be upset about it - I stopped getting upset about it years ago as a result. I do have other medical conditions which are worse so the diabetes gets downplayed. I do work on it all the time as my diabetes is brittle from cancer surgery but looking after it is like breathing to me.

Currently sitting through a LO. It is weird to still be sort of OK. My eyes are suffering the most, with a weird fisbowl thing going on, like I am triying to convey LSD in a movie. Hands are really numb as well.

I have taken stuff. Weird though as I do not have my normal, crazy,devour everything sensation I get when I am only around 3.5

Think I double dosed before the commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Xofpod

I went to my consultant today who was very happy with my HbA1C level of 56, which I had thought was too high. For T1, she's happy with anything between 53 and 57; anything under that and the risk of hypos is too high. Makes sense to me but what kind of steer are other people getting from their consultants/clinics?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Currently sitting through a LO. It is weird to still be sort of OK. My eyes are suffering the most, with a weird fisbowl thing going on, like I am triying to convey LSD in a movie. Hands are really numb as well.

I have taken stuff. Weird though as I do not have my normal, crazy,devour everything sensation I get when I am only around 3.5

Think I double dosed before the commute.

Hope you're feeling better. Ill effects of a hypo are normally very short lived for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

I’ve been told I’ve a small amount of macular odema in my left eye. I’m Diabetic almost 20yrs and my hba1c is 41% at last check which is in the almost non Diabetic range.
    The doctors said they will discuss my issue as injecting the eye is risky and cause other problems.
    My eyesight is perfect in both eyes.

Just wondering has anyone had this problem and have they got it treated ?
    My belief is that odema comes and goes

Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭banjobongo

hi all.
    I was diagnosed with type 1 about 1.5 yrs ago. Pretty well under control, last few 3 mths readings were 53.
    This week I had a scheduled colonoscopy, which involved fasting from 9am onwards for 1 day and until the procudre was finished the following day. So the advice from my diabetes nurse was half units for the morning on the first day and then no more insulin until next meal, just keep an eye on the blood sugar levels.
    I was expecting to see my levels get low, but no, they went high, around 18 - 20, for both days, so I guess is shows me I need the insulin to keep it manageble.
    Still, it was a surprise to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

banjobongo wrote: »
    hi all.
    I was diagnosed with type 1 about 1.5 yrs ago. Pretty well under control, last few 3 mths readings were 53.
    This week I had a scheduled colonoscopy, which involved fasting from 9am onwards for 1 day and until the procudre was finished the following day. So the advice from my diabetes nurse was half units for the morning on the first day and then no more insulin until next meal, just keep an eye on the blood sugar levels.
    I was expecting to see my levels get low, but no, they went high, around 18 - 20, for both days, so I guess is shows me I need the insulin to keep it manageble.
    Still, it was a surprise to me.

I am very much open to correction here, but I think you saw an increase in blood sugars when you didnt eat as your body still continued to burn stored fats/energy to keep your body running while fasting. This will be less than if you had eaten, but will be uncontrolled as you havent any insulin to control it.

Your body needs insulin to function properly even if you are not eating, hence why pump users have a basal rate and injectors have a basal insulin. When I was first diagnosed I came up with the idea, at the age of three, that if I didn't eat, I didn't need injections, therefore everything would be hunky dory. This was due to consultants thinking the truth was too complicated for a child (as well as the insulins not being as nice easy to use as they are now).

This was a terrible plan.

Alot of your cells have transporters that are indirectly activated by Insulin. No insulin, no uptake of glucose (or at least severely reduced). Therefore high blood sugars but also that lethargy we all get, as your cells have no energy despite the amount of glucose in your blood stream.

I was looking for a nice GIF on google but they are all a bit too intense for the simple premise. Insulin attaches to the cell at an insulin receptor, this sets off a signalling cascade within the cell (sort of like knocking over dominoes only they use more sciencey words), these dominoes eventually hit the GLUT4 transporter which moves glucose across the cell membrane, and, ta dah, your cell has energy.

Without insulin it is like being at a rock concert where they have not opened the doors on time, loads of people waiting to get in and get rocking but other than one or two who sneak in, everyone else is stuck outside doing nothing except getting annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

thehorse wrote: »
    I’ve been told I’ve a small amount of macular odema in my left eye. I’m Diabetic almost 20yrs and my hba1c is 41% at last check which is in the almost non Diabetic range.
    The doctors said they will discuss my issue as injecting the eye is risky and cause other problems.
    My eyesight is perfect in both eyes.

Just wondering has anyone had this problem and have they got it treated ?
    My belief is that odema comes and goes

Thanks a mill

Had a very similar scare back in August, so I feel your pain/fear/anxiety/sadness.

My HbA1C was 46 at the time, and since then has come down to 34, so it was quite a surprise to me, which I imagine is the same for you.

Here's my timeline, hopefully it helps you.
    • Noticed mid-August that my right eye was blurry in my center vision when reading, where I'd had perfect vision in both eyes until then.
    • Called the Mater Hospital DRT Clinic (finally separated from the emergency eye clinic) and got an appointment for the next day.
    • Got my OCT scan and saw the ophthalmologist all within 20 minutes.
    • He said that I'd had an aneurysm (macular edema) in a vessel very close to the fovea of my right eye, and this was causing the blurryness
    • Booked me in for lazer surgery about 4 weeks later to close the leaking blood vessel.

After that, I of course spent 48 hours straight reading everything about retinopathy and maculopathy and all of the treatment, and freaked out.

With lazer treatment, there are two methods. Focal targets one vessel, and scatter is a kind of "ring" of defense to stop vessels getting bigger, but that's for very advanced retinopathy.

So with focal lazer treatment, there is a chance of impaired vision, but the impairment is said to be far less than the impairment from untreated aneurysms. Plus, you can come out of the lazer treatment without any problem at all.

So, after reading this, I went to David Keegan in the Mater Private for a second opinion because the original opthalmologist was extremely nonchalant about something that to me was the biggest scare I've had in my life.

Turns out David Keegan is actually the head of the retina screening programme, and really knows what he's talking about.

He reviewed my OCT scans, talked about my control and blood pressure, and said that because the aneurysm is so close to the fovea (which is essential for sight) that lazer would be risky, so it could be better to wait and see. He emphasized that wait and see was only really possible thanks to tight control and good pressure.
    Obviously I don't know what your situation is or where the aneurysm is, but it was what I did.

So, I waited and seed!

I went back a few days before Christmas to the DRT in the Mater, and did the OCT Scan again. At this stage, my eyesight was perfect again, no blurring, so I was quite optimistic.
    Turns out that waiting was the best thing. The bleeding had stopped, and the fluid was starting to clear from my eye, and there were no new aneurysms.

Eventually, if my control and blood pressure stay good, it should all clear up and there should be no further problems.
    The interesting thing was that they put a strong emphasis on blood pressure being almost as important as blood glucose control. So just something else to consider.

So if you want, you can wait and see, or certainly insist on another OCT before they start the lazer/injection treatment.
    The injections are a little less risky than lazer, but I think they only do the anti-VEGF injections if you're showing new aneurysms and leakage.

So that's my one and only experience with it after 15 years of diabetes. Hopefully it's been somewhat helpful to you. Feel free to ask any other questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Xofpod wrote: »
    I went to my consultant today who was very happy with my HbA1C level of 56, which I had thought was too high. For T1, she's happy with anything between 53 and 57; anything under that and the risk of hypos is too high. Makes sense to me but what kind of steer are other people getting from their consultants/clinics?

My reading at the doctors was 45. He said anything up to 48 was within normal range ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

Caros wrote: »
    Hi guys, I've been type 2 diabetic for the last few years and on glucophage and diamicron. My last hba1c's were 12.4 (!) in January, and my gp said she'd refer me to see an endicrinologist about going on insulin - still waiting. Blood sugar levels are all over the place, 17.2 at 9.30p.m. last night, 11.4 this a.m. I feel at this stage if I eat a lettuce leaf my bloods are going up.
    I don't have medical insurance or a medical card, but I do have a long term illness card. Can anyone tell me if I go privately to see the endicrinologist would it get me in quicker?

You can sign up for a free diabetes education course called CODE through Diabetes Ireland. A lot of members in our type 2 diabetes meet up group ha e done it and they all say it was really good for figuring their diabetes management out.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I got my new insulin pump yesterday. A Medtronic 640g, which I upgraded to from a 530g Veo. It's a nice bit of kit, the colour screen is a welcome addition and the extra smart guard feature seems like a good one. This feature predicts low blood sugars and suspends the pump before you go low in an attempt to prevent it. And the pump will then resume insulin delivery itself once your sugars return to a normal level.

Although this is the first time in 12 years I've had a pump that's a new shape with a new style screen, for the most part the functionality really is rather similar to what I had before. I definitely need a few days to get used to it. I was so hard wired to the vibrate motor in the last one, that this one will take a while to get used to!

Let us know how you get on with the CGM on it ( I presume it is CGM). I think my upgrade is due in 6 months.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Let us know how you get on with the CGM on it ( I presume it is CGM). I think my upgrade is due in 6 months.

Will do. Give me a week and I'll do up a mini review and post it here with pictures, reports etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭banjobongo

hi all
    Im just curious about pumps, I know nothing about them. Im Type one and I inject my insulin every day (4 times a day) and my control seems to be pretty good. Can anybody let me know the basics of what pump is, is it for everybody with Type one or only for certain types of diabetes, the advantages and drawbacks? JUst curious to learn a bit more!
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

banjobongo wrote: »
    hi all
    Im just curious about pumps, I know nothing about them. Im Type one and I inject my insulin every day (4 times a day) and my control seems to be pretty good. Can anybody let me know the basics of what pump is, is it for everybody with Type one or only for certain types of diabetes, the advantages and drawbacks? JUst curious to learn a bit more!
    Thanks!
    I was on the same regime as you, 3 fast acting insulin shots and a nighttime basal to last for 24 hours and was put on a pump 2 years ago.

It's all short acting on the pump so you will have a small basal shot of fast acting every few minutes to replace the big basal shot you were on before and a bolus shot every time you eat or have a high blood reading.

You can adjust your response to the insulin according to the time of day as well. I am still on very low basal doses during the day and fairly high in the evenings as my responses differ at different times.

You will have a patch glued onto you for 2 or 3 days before needing to change it which holds the needle in place which sometimes comes loose but I would be fairly active at work and have only lost it a few times.

In it's very simplest terms, an insulin pump is a device which is worn at all times day and night which constantly delivers insulin via tubing which is connected to your body via an infusion set. The infustion set is typically comprised of a small plastic canula which sits just under the skin which delivers the insulin into your body. Most infusion sets do not have a metal needle which remains under the skin, however a metal needle is used to insert/change the infusion set every 3 days or so.

The insulin pump contains one type of insulin, in my case Nova Rapid, but it will always be a quick acting insulin. The pump is programmed when you receive it to give you doses measured in Units per Hour. For example, my morning units look like this:

00:00 0.7U/H
    03:00 0.725U/H
    09:30 0.9 U/H

So this means between midnight and 3am my pump is constantly pumping a dose of 0.7U/H. Which means that every few minutes the device pumps a very small amount of insulin. And then as my needs change during the day the amount of insulin per hour changes.

This is one huge advantage of the pump, you can get a very minute control over your dosage. You can even use a temporary basal to change these on the fly if you are going to play sports/do exercise. You can quickly tell the pump to only deliver 50% of your dosage for a set time (1 hour for example) until your activity is complete.

Then you have your bolus insulin. Your insulin given for food and blood sugar corrections. This is pretty self explanatory, but whenever you eat carbohydrates, you input the amount of carbs you've eaten into the pump, and it uses your pre-programmed carb to insulin ration to calculate your insulin requirements. You can add in your current blood sugar too, to allow the pump to give more or less depending on what range you current sugar is in.

And to add to this, most current pumps come with a CGM (Continuous Glucose Monitor). This is an additional device which you wear (usually on your abdomen). This is a system which constantly reads your blood glucose throughout the day and can warn you about highs and lows, and in my pumps case it can automatically take action to prevent a low. The pump screen shows you a graph with all your readings for the last 24hours and it tells you the CGM's most recent reading. It is important to note that despite it's name a CGM is not actually reading blood glucose, it uses the interstitial fluid just below your skin to obtain a sugar reading which closely relates to your blood glucose.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

“She was drooling and I was worried she’d gone into a diabetic coma,” he said. He called paramedics who administered insulin on arrival.

I assume the bit about administering insulin is a mistake in the report?

Really sad either way, to mistakenly take 68 units, plus the issues that alcohol can give with hypoglycemia anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭feedthegoat

Shocking article. Would put a small doubt in you mind about pumps and was it a pump failure. Irrespective of what it was a terrible tragedy for her family.

Advertisement