Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Sorry to hear about your trials and tribulations mutedtempest. I'm not sure who told you PPS numbers is only for work, according to the Citizens Information website (http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/personal_public_service_number.html), to obtain one "you must show that you need one for a transaction with a specified body." The list of bodies on the welfare.ie website (http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Personal-Public-Service-Number-Register-of-Users.aspx) does include various government bodies and includes the Health Service Executive who are responsible for granting LTI books. So according to that, I would have thought your application signed by your GP should be sufficient for you to be granted a PPS number. We're you told this was insufficient grounds for getting one?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

The Libre will be reimbursed for children and young audits.

http://health.gov.ie/blog/press-release/good-news-for-children-and-teenagers-with-diabetes-approval-given-to-reimburse-blood-glucose-management-system-freestyle-libre-harris/

I guess diabetes magically disappears at 21. Once again the HSE make a mess of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

The Libre will be reimbursed for children and young audits.

http://health.gov.ie/blog/press-release/good-news-for-children-and-teenagers-with-diabetes-approval-given-to-reimburse-blood-glucose-management-system-freestyle-libre-harris/

I guess diabetes magically disappears at 21. Once again the HSE make a mess of things.

I know it used to be called Juvenile Diabetes..... but this is a bizarre decision. Seems discriminatory. What happens when you hit the tender old age of 22?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

A political wheeze if ever there was one.

It also from the sounds of the press release sounds like they're not going to liberalise access anything more than Dexcom or the Medtronic Minimed CGM at the moment (with the talk of "on an individual basis where specific criteria [are met]" & only initiating it on the back of an endocrinologists' recommendation) which really begs the question why they didn't open access to adults in theory at least if in reality the lock is staying firmly on for the vast majority?

Either way I've been approved for my Dexcom, but it sounds like a cop out.

I was pretty certain I was going to go with minimed, but as far as I could gather there weren't any other options really. I hadn't heard about CGM supply issues, I'm currently using their Enlite sensors and have never really had an issue. Although I think this new model has new sensors.

Perfect thanks for the info! I had been expecting it'd be Medtronic anyway, considering Animas are leaving the market & Medtronic really are leading the way with the 670g so I'm happy to stay with them (although the 670g is of course a good while off in Europe & then an even longer time off in Ireland)! Yeah when I was discussing a new pump last year with the nurses they had said that Medtronic weren't taking any more patients for Enlite sensors as they were having trouble supplying enough for existing patients but they must have gotten over that & ramped up production. How have you found the Enlite sensors? Have tried Dexcom before? If so how do they compare?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

For those who may be interested, the Health Technology Assessment Group benefit analysis for the freestyle libre reimbursement.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/about/who/healthwellbeing/htag/publications/advice-note-freestyle-libre.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

For those who may be interested, the Health Technology Assessment Group benefit analysis for the freestyle libre reimbursement.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/about/who/healthwellbeing/htag/publications/advice-note-freestyle-libre.pdf

I am due to start a trial of the Libre next week. I really hope its something that can be recommended for me. I struggle with regular blood testing, always have.

Reading the PDF above it suggested it would be of benefit to people like me. Time will tell!

In typical fashion I start the trial the day before I head on a 4 night lads weekend in Lisbon....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I received a letter in the post this morning from Animas telling me that they are ceasing pump sales in the UK and Ireland and that Medtronic will be the preferred replacement. All support will continue until pumps are replaced in the next few years.

Wanton wrote: »
    I am due to start a trial of the Libre next week. I really hope its something that can be recommended for me. I struggle with regular blood testing, always have.

Reading the PDF above it suggested it would be of benefit to people like me. Time will tell!

In typical fashion I start the trial the day before I head on a 4 night lads weekend in Lisbon....

Are you over 21? If yes, it won't be added to your LTI. The Minister announced last week that it has been approved for children and young adults.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

But the Dexcom has been approved, I know because I have it. Just for those who are looking for alternatives.

You may need to do the odd glucose check but in reality, it is better than the 10 times a day I was doing it. Also, unlike the Libre, I don't have to scan to know if things are going well, it keeps reading (and reporting if you want it to) all day long. Even when it is out of calibration time, the results are still pretty close in my experience.

• Advertisement

Are you over 21? If yes, it won't be added to your LTI. The Minister announced last week that it has been approved for children and young adults.

and I am just over the threshold if the cut off is 21 by somewhere in the region of a decade and half, but sure can only wait and see the the Day Care Clinic say. If nothing else it will show me if its going to be worth the monthly outlay of funding it myself in the mean time.

As I said, I am in with the nurse in the Diabetic Day Centre next week to start the trail on the Libre.

While I am there should I also ask about the Dexcom?

I have for years sat on the periphery of Diabetic care. I haven't had super tight control of my bloods for some time, but similarly I have never been described as having lost control. Its something I very much want to get a better handle on.

As such, I am pretty dumb to the to a lot of whats out there till someone tells me.

Am I correct in saying -

Libre - scan when you want a reading and does not need to be calibrated, blood tests required in times of rapidly changing levels (ie hypo).
    Dexcom - know very little... requires calibration twice a day? but reports back for Bluetooth constantly?

Is the Dexcom being widely approved for us?

Is the Dexcom being widely approved for us?

Not widely, except apparently in Kerry where the Healy-Raes have everyone on them diabetes or not! They're more expensive than the Libres by quite a bit. The sensor costs €70 a week (compared with €59 for 14 days) & the transmitter part which clicks in on top lasts only 3 months & costs €300 to replace. Now I'm sure the HSE have a bulk discount, these are the prices if you self fund, but just to give an idea that it's a fair bit more than Libre so the HSE aren't the keenest on funding them.

Also important to note if you are researching about Dexcom, the HSE only covers the G4 system under LTI if approved, which requires the specific receiver & screen you carry around. If you want the G5 which broadcasts directly to your smartphone, you can apply to have the sensors covered (the sensors are the same whether you use a G4 or G5) & self fund the G5 transmitter.

EDIT: Worth noting as well, if you are self funding you can keep the same sensor working for 3 and a bit weeks by just recalibrating, which can obviously save you a bundle!

Libre - scan when you want a reading and does not need to be calibrated, blood tests required in times of rapidly changing levels (ie hypo).
    Pretty much, if you don't scan, you don't know your bloods. Great for patterns but since the scan covers the last 8 hours, you can miss time over night or if your not paying much attention (although this really shouldn't happen. I found it very accurate.
    Dexcom - know very little... requires calibration twice a day? but reports back for Bluetooth constantly?
    Reports back constantly and can be set with vibration and audible alarms for HI/LO scenarios. The calibration can be twice a day, but if you don't get it on time, I have found it to remain fairly close.

Which do I prefer, they are both good but the Dexcom is the only one that is a true CGM, the Libre is great though, but the need to scan is annoying where as I work in a lab. I feel my pocket buzz, I know I have just dropped below 4 or gone over 12.

This said, whichever one you get, my control has improved dramatically.
    /QUOTE]Is the Dexcom being widely approved for us?
    A few in James getting approval. They were handing out Libres from Reps for awhile but with the caveat that the sensor was not covered yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Was put on a new set of meds recently changing from Janumet 850mg to metformin 850mg, I was able to tolerate the combo but the sole metformin just does not agree with me i'm also on victoza so I think that ruled out the januvia.

I am due to have my hba1c tomorrow hopefully it is on target as my sugars have come down significantly in the past two weeks. I feel a little better about things but my vision is still a little off ( had a right vitrectomy done in October)

Feel your pain bud, have had a few lasers over the years but its necessary.
    Last 2 visits to the hospital they did'nt recommend any treatment for me, a record.

I find that keeping sugars at below 7 really helps your eyes a lot. Any time I have had bleeds was when my sugars were high. Also keep your blood pressure and cholesterol in good shape. That is really important.

Watch what you eat in the evening as well. Otherwise you can damage your eyes overnight.

Finally google "Noctura 400". It looks promising, and you only have to go to the UK once ever 6 months for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

So I went in to get bloods done today, they were great, absolutely lovely team to deal with.

It was a bit more extra than just bloods. And I got a new meter.

I have been very worried about my sugars lately and worried about my ketones also.

Something strange happened yesterday with my sugars. I checked my sugars before I went to the gym and afterwards I checked them and they had went up. After I ate they went down.

I asked and they said that certain exercises cause them to go up. As well as sweat. And by not eating also.

I can honestly say I was shocked and perplexed because surely by exercising I'm doing something good.

I am looking forward to the appointment because I'm hoping they will listen to me unlike my own doctors. I have been on left dose since I've been diagnosed 6 years ago, I need a stronger dose. I've been telling them this and all that say to me is I just need to control it better myself and won't order bloods to be done.

So yeah I'm hoping to get sorted

pew wrote: »
    So I went in to get bloods done today, they were great, absolutely lovely team to deal with.

It was a bit more extra than just bloods. And I got a new meter.

I have been very worried about my sugars lately and worried about my ketones also.

Something strange happened yesterday with my sugars. I checked my sugars before I went to the gym and afterwards I checked them and they had went up. After I ate they went down.

I asked and they said that certain exercises cause them to go up. As well as sweat. And by not eating also.

I can honestly say I was shocked and perplexed because surely by exercising I'm doing something good.

I am looking forward to the appointment because I'm hoping they will listen to me unlike my own doctors. I have been on left dose since I've been diagnosed 6 years ago, I need a stronger dose. I've been telling them this and all that say to me is I just need to control it better myself and won't order bloods to be done.

So yeah I'm hoping to get sorted

it is an interesting but explainable phenomenon. I was listening awhile ago to some triathletes who would suffer hypos mid competition or training, and they would force themselves to go like the clappers so as to release glucose from the liver. I think a poster here said the same after running in the Phoenix park, his bloods would be through the roof.

The key thing here is that it is still good for you, what your experiencing is a normal reaction, and in no way is making the exercise into a negative. The other thing to remember is that if you exercise in short bursts or it is not a daily routine, and it is the type of exercise that can cause this, you prime your muscles for glucose uptake, and by this I mean you make them very insulin sensitive compared to your norm. Therefore be careful with corrections as if you are using your normal corrective doses, you can overshoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Xofpod

CramCycle wrote: »
    it is an interesting but explainable phenomenon. I was listening awhile ago to some triathletes who would suffer hypos mid competition or training, and they would force themselves to go like the clappers so as to release glucose from the liver. I think a poster here said the same after running in the Phoenix park, his bloods would be through the roof.

The key thing here is that it is still good for you, what your experiencing is a normal reaction, and in no way is making the exercise into a negative. The other thing to remember is that if you exercise in short bursts or it is not a daily routine, and it is the type of exercise that can cause this, you prime your muscles for glucose uptake, and by this I mean you make them very insulin sensitive compared to your norm. Therefore be careful with corrections as if you are using your normal corrective doses, you can overshoot.

My consultant once advised me that when going to the gym, always start with weights or a similar exercise as that actually raises your blood sugar level and protects against hypos later in the session. Less clear on the science though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Regarding exercise and levels, I've found that jogging brings my sugars right down but a tough Judo session can raise them ~ so I run out a 5k after Judo and they're back down into low to mid 5's.

I've never tested after cycling or weight training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I moved to New Zealand 5 years ago and have been on a pump since last January. We are moving back home this year and I am wondering if I will be able to transfer over to being on a pump in Ireland or would they make me go back on the insulin pen. Anybody any experience with a situation like this or can anyone advise who I could contact to find out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭questionmark

hello, just wondering if anyone has managed to get a prescription for a CGM on the LTI from limerick hospital or could advise how to best go about getting one ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I moved to New Zealand 5 years ago and have been on a pump since last January. We are moving back home this year and I am wondering if I will be able to transfer over to being on a pump in Ireland or would they make me go back on the insulin pen. Anybody any experience with a situation like this or can anyone advise who I could contact to find out?
    I doubt you would have to return to pens seeing as you're on a pump for a good while now. All I can suggest it to try to contact the relevant HSE section and they might be able to give you better information.

There seems to be a bit more leeway in them sanctioning pumps with the last year or so.

I almost wish I didn't get this trial of the Libre....

Has anyone started to mail their TD's etc about the stupid age restriction???

Just in the middle of firing off a few, cant do any harm :(

I almost wish I didn't get this trial of the Libre....

Has anyone started to mail their TD's etc about the stupid age restriction???

Just in the middle of firing off a few, cant do any harm :(

I emailed my TDs about it and I got a standard response from the HSE about it.

The Minister will be answering questions about it in the Dail today at 5.00pm.

I emailed my TDs about it and I got a standard response from the HSE about it.

The Minister will be answering questions about it in the Dail today at 5.00pm.

damn, and I will be on the commute home from work. wonder if you can watch it online?

damn, and I will be on the commute home from work. wonder if you can watch it online?

You can watch or listen here.

http://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/watchlisten/

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

Charlie Flanagan Minister for Justice and Equality is up at the mo.

I only just emailed him today as he is one of my local TD's and was recently on record how he received many requests from his area about the Libre and how great its available for kids...

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

Watch for Mary Butler TD Waterford with questions for minister fro health on the Libre. About 5:40pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

Total waste of time, no answers to any questions .....

Advertisement