Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ok done the podiatry appointment today, and its good and not so good news.

My ulcer is almost healed, just have to 'off load' it for one more week and I can get back to Judo and jogging. But I'll leave the Judo until after Christmas, can't wait to go for a run next Monday.

I have 'excellent' circulation in both feet, likely down to be active in sports.

But the not so good news, seems I have some nerve damage which I'll have followed up but she said its nothing to be overly concerned about.

The excellent news, my feet feel like they've had a new lease of life ~ I can't stop looking at and feeling them :D

I knew Judo was hard on my feet, they've suffered a lot of trauma over the years but when I seen the amount of dead skin taken off, my nails done etc I felt properly pampered.

Another appointment in two months and I can't wait lol, €50 in Diabetes Ireland and worth every cent :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Whoa, whoa - your podiatrist more or less gave you a pedicure? Is that the norm?

I saw the foot screening podiatrist last month, 4 or 5 checks, failed sensitivity, was sent away with a booklet. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Irish Wolf wrote: »
    Whoa, whoa - your podiatrist more or less gave you a pedicure? Is that the norm?

I saw the foot screening podiatrist last month, 4 or 5 checks, failed sensitivity, was sent away with a booklet. :/

That's how I felt anyway. That said my feet are pretty battle scared from Judo over the years, between that and wearing army boots the last 32 years I'd skin (on my feet) like an elephant [well maybe not that bad].

I was in with the podiartrist for a full one hour between getting the tests done, then the hard skin and thick nails cut and filed away ~ the scalpel and various grinding heads on her little machine made me wince at first (hey, I'm a man so I'm a coward at heart) but it was all very pleasant.

Got the booklet too, and dressings to off load whats remaining of the ulcer for a week then told to return to training.

This was all done by Michelle in Diabetes Ireland in Northwood. People said I could have gotten a referral to have it done for free from my GP (not sure where I'd have been sent) but tbh it was €50 worth spending and I'm looking forward to my next pedicure appointment :D

I'll be honest, the only concerning issue for me was the sensitivity testing. I knew she was performing some tests which I wasn't feeling, which got me concerned and very nervous. But Michelle put me at ease and started over again. I have some reduced sensitivity, but not too bad (I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 85,373 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is sulfur (egg) burps part of diabetes?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Iv been on degludec/tresiba for a few months now and I was loving it, but recently having trouble. How are others finding it??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I had bad nighttime lows but it was better than Lantus, may go back to it. The Libre has been the biggest difference a year using that next Tuesday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Not diabetiic specific, but diabetics, type 1 and 2 get them (not sure if it is the same as general population or not), but I would talk to a doctor and not mention the diabetes as some doctors have a habit of saying, thats what it is rather than finding the actual cause. Ususally hints at bacterial issues or a slow stomach emptying but a doctor is best.
    calfmuscle wrote: »
    Iv been on degludec/tresiba for a few months now and I was loving it, but recently having trouble. How are others finding it??
    Are you having lows or its not doing its job at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

CramCycle wrote: »

Are you having lows or its not doing its job at all?

I was getting dragged down constantly, so gradually reduced how much I was taking and now it's gone completely the opposite! I sat at 18 for most of yesterday despite taking multiple large corrections and eating very little. I pushed it back up by 2 units yesterday evening and seem to have stayed steady at 8 over night thankfully. I have the dexcom g4 so I don't worry about the lows too much. But it's exhausting being awake multiple times through the night to treat hypos. I feel like the insulin is stacking in my system if I take it at the same time every day. I might try taking it 36 hours apart for a while. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

I usually associate the sulphur smell with people who have mouth/throat infections. It’s not really a Diabetes symptom that I’ve experienced but as mentioned ask the Doctor..

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gok

Meter Question - which meter for glucose finger pricks?
    I've used LifeScan OneTouch Verio IQ which is ok, prefer the way the strips are packaged as 50 in a container than Abbott Optium which are individually packaged & sometimes a bit fiddly to unwrap. The OneTouch Verio Flex has bluutooth which can send details to your phone which is nice.
    I like the Freestyle Libre meter with the FreeStyle Optium Blood Glucose Test Strips because the meter has an option to estimate corrections which I find quite useful for high glucose (professional options).
    Are there better options out there?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Has anyone renewed their driving license recently? My consultant filled out the medical form due to being a type 1, and only gave me sign off for a 3 year license. When I queried this he claimed that it was due to new rules being imposed. Has anyone else encountered this? My control is good at the moment so I doubt it's due to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Has anyone renewed their driving license recently? My consultant filled out the medical form due to being a type 1, and only gave me sign off for a 3 year license. When I queried this he claimed that it was due to new rules being imposed. Has anyone else encountered this? My control is good at the moment so I doubt it's due to that.
    I think it's always been 3 years according to posts here a while back?

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Just had a brand new AccuChek Fastclix lancet device die on me. Not more than a week old. The spring action seems to be working fine but it's not making contact with the lancets. Anybody have a similar issue? Maybe just a dodgy model - never had problems in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Jolisa94

Switched to Tresiba about 4 months ago, it works really well for me. I was getting high readings in the morning on the Lantus, no matter how careful i was being - the Tresiba has completely eliminated that issue.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I think it's always been 3 years according to posts here a while back?

Interesting. I was renewing from a 10 year license which I had gotten as a diabetic previously so I thought this was odd.

Interesting. I was renewing from a 10 year license which I had gotten as a diabetic previously so I thought this was odd.

Yeah my consultant renewed mine for 10 years which is up in 2010 it will be interesting to see if he will renew for 10 again or 3 years.

Xofpod wrote: »
    Just had a brand new AccuChek Fastclix lancet device die on me. Not more than a week old. The spring action seems to be working fine but it's not making contact with the lancets. Anybody have a similar issue? Maybe just a dodgy model - never had problems in the past.

Yep they are crap used to have the blue and white lancet device and it was fine but these blue and grey devices barely make contact with the skin I got a couple from my diabetic nurse and found one that works properly.

Same here but mine was a few years ago, I filled most of it out myself and the doc asked me a few questions, but sin e. In fact, with a CGM, I expect it being easier to prove I am OK other than a low HbA1c and a statement that I am not hypoing out all over the place.
    Yeah my consultant renewed mine for 10 years which is up in 2010 it will be interesting to see if he will renew for 10 again or 3 years.
    I hope mine does mine for 10 years again as well, I do wonder though, do the NDLS check now, and refuse, or is it still taken straight from the docs mouth that you are OK.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Same here but mine was a few years ago, I filled most of it out myself and the doc asked me a few questions, but sin e. In fact, with a CGM, I expect it being easier to prove I am OK other than a low HbA1c and a statement that I am not hypoing out all over the place.

I hope mine does mine for 10 years again as well, I do wonder though, do the NDLS check now, and refuse, or is it still taken straight from the docs mouth that you are OK.

I was advised to avoid going for a trailer licence for the car as a provisional BE licence could cause me to lose my current 10 year licence with 5 years left.

It would help if there was some bit of clarity though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

Had my blood test and meeting with doc, last blood test was around 40 and lost around a stone since may, liver thing was 100 or so and now 40, so i thought onto a winner here.

Asking the doctor will i ALWAYS have this and be on tablets and more or less told unless there's a miracle then yes

I thought type two could be reversed and off tablets etc??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

Hi Folks,

Does anyone have the Freestyle Libre working with the NFC on their phone?

I am interested in trying it out, phoned Abbott who confirmed you could activate the sensor etc using your phone (had read previously you couldn't).

Ordered off the Abbott website and then went to download the Libre app to be told its not available in Ireland. UK only apparently.

Phoned Abbott again to be told they wouldn't cancel my order and my only option it to refuse delivery!

Wanton wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Does anyone have the Freestyle Libre working with the NFC on their phone?

I am interested in trying it out, phoned Abbott who confirmed you could activate the sensor etc using your phone (had read previously you couldn't).

Ordered off the Abbott website and then went to download the Libre app to be told its not available in Ireland. UK only apparently.

Phoned Abbott again to be told they wouldn't cancel my order and my only option it to refuse delivery!

Have you an android or Apple phone?

Have you an android or Apple phone?

Android.

Any solution I have found so far had been either a dodgy apk off a dodgy site or a vpn/UK account solution.

gctest50 wrote: »

Unfortunately that's only a repeater and you still need to activate the sensor before hand. At least thats my understanding?

It's has a nfc sensor that reads the sensor and then sends it via Bluetooth to your phone and can be used for continous testing.

Wanton wrote: »
    Android.

Any solution I have found so far had been either a dodgy apk off a dodgy site or a vpn/UK account solution.
    A day trip up north would also do it maybe?

Really ****ty behaviour, I would tweet them, maybe put a link up here and it can be liked and shared, it is terrible but companies are more responsive if they get a sense of critical negative mass approaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Do you have to get your scripts updated every 6 months? I am on the LTI for the past 13 years and this is the first time that the pharmacy has told me that I needed an updated script as the one they had was 6 months old.

Do you have to get your scripts updated every 6 months? I am on the LTI for the past 13 years and this is the first time that the pharmacy has told me that I needed an updated script as the one they had was 6 months old.
    Yeah, been that way for a while. I think it's to make sure you go to your Doc every 6 months to make sure your control is good is what I was told.

Yeah, been that way for a while. I think it's to make sure you go to your Doc every 6 months to make sure your control is good is what I was told.

The other reason given was due to certain long term illnesses having medication changes over time, that someone was not receiving or taking medicine that they shouldn't be. A bit stupid for T1DM as Insulin is Insulin but I get the point. I think there was a story out about a patient on medication that he shouldn't have been on for years, that done him damage but the details escape me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Yes, I get mine updated every 6 months when I visit my consultant. Prescriptions are only valid for 6 months.

This is from the Pharmaceutical Society of Ireland website:

"Most prescriptions can be used for up to six months from the date they are written. After six months the prescription is not legally valid even if all the medicines and repeats prescribed by the doctor have not been fully dispensed. This is when the pharmacist will advise that you need to go to your doctor again."

http://www.thepsi.ie/gns/Pharmacy_Practice/Queries_and_FAQs/FAQs_for_the_public.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Great!! €120 to my consultant twice a year!!

Advertisement