Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

uli84 wrote: »
    Ah ok, that’s great, in my case i think it’s 3rd year result with the background retinopathy but i’ve been diabetic for a long long time

How long? Please tell your story...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭banie01

uli84 wrote: »
    Ah ok, that’s great, in my case i think it’s 3rd year result with the background retinopathy but i’ve been diabetic for a long long time

I'm type 1.5/LADA originally diagnosed as T2 in 2007, have had very good and very tight control since diagnosed.
    Usually come in @6.5 on my hba1c with only a few exceptions over the years.
    My B.P is good and my cholesterol is still good.
    My last few retina screens came back with background retinopathy in 1 or other eye, whilst my most recent one came back with both eyes flagged. Still waiting on an opthalmology appointment.

It's a pain in the whole knowing that it doesn't matter how good my control is that the degeneration seems to be inevitable.
    I will keep trying to stave it off tho ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Anybody else get a call from their pharmacist saying there is a batch of accuchek test strips that are being recalled?

banie01 wrote: »
    My last few retina screens came back with background retinopathy in 1 or other eye, whilst my most recent one came back with both eyes flagged. Still waiting on an opthalmology appointment.

My Opthalmology appt came this morning for the 24th May.
    So from the original retina screen appointment highlighting an issue in both eyes to the follow up visit will be about 5 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

retinopathy comes and goes. I've had it in my left eye from time to time.  It is a worrying thing when your told about it.
    I go to the regional in Limerick and to be honest, they are ****ing useless in there.....all they do is kick the can down the road and seem reluctant to treat anything. Secondly, none of the doctors in there are irish, they are all from other countries and while this is ok, it isn't the easiest to converse with them.
    Try to keep tighter control of your blood sugars and it will go away.

• Advertisement

thehorse wrote: »
    retinopathy comes and goes. I've had it in my left eye from time to time.  It is a worrying thing when your told about it.
    I go to the regional in Limerick and to be honest, they are ****ing useless in there.....all they do is kick the can down the road and seem reluctant to treat anything. Secondly, none of the doctors in there are irish, they are all from other countries and while this is ok, it isn't the easiest to converse with them.
    Try to keep tighter control of your blood sugars and it will go away.

I go to the Regional too and TBH I do have issues with the way the clinics are run at appointment times, but that would be more from an efficiency standpoint rather than any issue with how I'm treated or communication.
    My experience of the diabetes team in there would be at odds with your own.
    I was previously under Dr O'Hare and it was very much a case of plod along and hope.
    I would say that since Dr Noctor has taken over his list that the registrar's there have improved a lot in how they interact.
    On top of that I find the Nursing team there excellent and always quick to help.

I'm not too concerned about the retinopathy at present apart from the fact that the only things about it that are in my control, namely BP and Hba1c are already good.
    10yrs of control under 7 and averaging @6.4 and BP is fine and had a recent 24hr monitor to confirm.
    My main worry is that my control can't reasonably be improved and the degradation is already happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

I go to the Regional too and TBH I do have issues with the way the clinics are run at appointment times, but that would be more from an efficiency standpoint rather than any issue with how I'm treated or communication.
    My experience of the diabetes team in there would be at odds with your own.
    I was previously under Dr O'Hare and it was very much a case of plod along and hope.
    I would say that since Dr Noctor has taken over his list that the registrar's there have improved a lot in how they interact.
    On top of that I find the Nursing team there excellent and always quick to help.

I'm not too concerned about the retinopathy at present apart from the fact that the only things about it that are in my control, namely BP and Hba1c are already good.
    10yrs of control under 7 and averaging @6.4 and BP is fine and had a recent 24hr monitor to confirm.
    My main worry is that my control can't reasonably be improved and the degradation is already happening.

I only go there for the eye checks. I go to clonmel for my diabetes checks and the diabetes Team is so much better there than in Limerick regional Hosp. I went there for a while but it was like a cattle mart.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

An update.

So I travelled to Newcastle on Wednesday. The opticians is not too far from the airport, you can take a taxi, its about a ten minute ride.

You can buy a day travel pass for 5 pounds for the bus and metro. very easy to get around.

At the opticians I gave them my history from the hospital in Dublin (who do a great job), had an eye test and they took some pictures of my eyes, small bleeds but nothing new there. Central vision still very good.I was then given a tutorial on how to use the mask.

Paid £250 and will return in August. After a few visits it is expected that I will travel there twice a year.

There is a choice of places you can go to in the UK but I found these guys very good.

Last night was the first night that I used it. The lights that shine into your eyes are bright green but your eyes are closed anyway. You must keep it on for the first 15 minutes or it will switch off and you have to restart. After 8 hours of treatment it turns itself off. My mask is programmed to operate from 8pm to 10am. However if you do shift work or are on holidays in a different time zone it will be adjusted accordingly for you.

Lets see how it goes, it is a parallel treatment to what I receive already, and it has been approved for use. So why not give it a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

Hi All,

Is anyone here on Levimir?

Will probably be starting on it over the next few days and was wondering what people's experiences are like?

I'm type 1.

Thanks

jcrowbar wrote: »
    Hi All,

Is anyone here on Levimir?

Will probably be starting on it over the next few days and was wondering what people's experiences are like?

I'm type 1.

Thanks

Not on Levemir but I do use Lantus which is a similar type of long acting insulin.
    I'm type 1.5 so it's the only insulin I take in conjunction with oral meds.
    It took me about 3 weeks to sort out my basal dose. Once that was sorted it's just routine for me to take it at night with my last med.

As a type 1 you will have to tie in the basal with any need for fast acting insulin during the day I suppose and I know nowt about that.
    1 thing I found an issue was a bit of weight creep.

• Advertisement

So I have been using the mask for 4 nights now, I have started going to bed earlier as I have to wear it for 8 hours and I wake up at 6am weekdays.

Otherwise I have been sleeping ok with it, no side effects.

I will report back after my next visit to the UK in August, or my next appointment in the Eye and Ear, whichever is sooner.

So the trip to the opthalmology clinic is done and dusted.
    All went well as can be expected.
    Back again in 6months and hopefully it will be stable.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Got my hba1c back, 6.7, happy days. My consultant was saying he reckons I'm in the top 2% of his patients in terms of diabetes management and health. I'm pretty happy about that!

I do want to work on getting that hba1c down a bit. I think 6.5 would keep me happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,083 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Anyone any experience with Charcot Arthropathy, I am currently being assessed and am unable to wear the boot or a cast so no alternative seems available and I am currently trying to minimise any activity and find a way to adapt my living situation to the future point of either the boot or a bi monthly cast.

Left foot is slightly swollen higher temperature in midfoot region and heel and sporadically quite painful whether I walk on it or not. I have varicose veins in left leg which are causing pain of their own which will make wearing the boot a difficulty.

Anyone any experience with Charcot Arthropathy, I am currently being assessed and am unable to wear the boot or a cast so no alternative seems available and I am currently trying to minimise any activity and find a way to adapt my living situation to the future point of either the boot or a bi monthly cast.

Left foot is slightly swollen higher temperature in midfoot region and heel and sporadically quite painful whether I walk on it or not. I have varicose veins in left leg which are causing pain of their own which will make wearing the boot a difficulty.

Have you tried outside Ireland ? Might be worth investigating.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,083 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I'm looking into it. Seems the treatment must be started ASAP weight bearing and off loading I've been through the mill with retinopathy complications the past three years and I've gotten through that so I'll have to stay positive on this one too.

I'm looking into it. Seems the treatment must be started ASAP weight bearing and off loading I've been through the mill with retinopathy complications the past three years and I've gotten through that so I'll have to stay positive on this one too.

With regard to the off loading when I am in the office sitting down I always have shoes off with feet resting on a cushion.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

one for type 2's , caught a bit of this last night but worth a watch. basically its possible to reverse type 2 with a low carb diet.

https://youtu.be/Us8Art5EOFc

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭cumulonimbus

I have been following a ketogenic diet for 3 months approximately. I got my blood tested last week. My HbA1c has gone from 76 before I started this diet to 39 now. My doctor was amazed at the improvement and said whatever you are doing, keep on doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I haven't been diagnosed with diabetes, and probably don't have it, but I have a symptom that is common with some forms of diabetes, ie. neuropathy. For years, the top half of both feet are numb or tingly or like dull pins and needles. I get my bloods done twice a year, and they are relatively high for diabetes, but not worryingly. I've often said it to my doctor who hasn't said much. I've had to make suggestions to him!

Any suggestions? A non-medical friend who's into health thought it might be bad circulation, but the colour in my feet is fine, as is the temperature. I've just has an ingrown toe removed last week and there's been no pain from that, so it's not without positives! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

there's been no pain from that, so it's not without positives! ;)

You need to get it checked out though

eg : this and more ;

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/foot-drop/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I haven't been diagnosed with diabetes, and probably don't have it, but I have a symptom that is common with some forms of diabetes, ie. neuropathy. For years, the top half of both feet are numb or tingly or like dull pins and needles. I get my bloods done twice a year, and they are relatively high for diabetes, but not worryingly. I've often said it to my doctor who hasn't said much. I've had to make suggestions to him!

Any suggestions? A non-medical friend who's into health thought it might be bad circulation, but the colour in my feet is fine, as is the temperature. I've just has an ingrown toe removed last week and there's been no pain from that, so it's not without positives! ;)

Get it checked.

I suffer terrible with cold feet, and between that and the numbness I thought I'd bad circulation but on my first podiatry examination my circulation is fine, but I could literally walk over hot coals and not feel a thing.

The danger there is you're prone to injury, and complications from that.

I've posted up a photo of a toe ulcer I had last November. It started off with a blister from Judo practice, but because it wasn't sore I stupidly ignored it (I was preparing for a competition).

The day after my competition I asked a nurse friend to check my toe, and she made me go to hospital with it.. Basically I was told I was only weeks away from being considered for amputation!.

I wouldn't go asking medical advice, or taking opinion on an internet discussion forum as gospel. Go to your doc and get the tests.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Clinic today, HbA1c down to 6.8%. Hooray.

Bad news now:

Blood pressure is up, not much but outside random chance, so definitely an increase.

Weight is up, 5kg from the last time, also not good.

Control has gone a bit down the toilet, up and down like a yo yo.

They have given me a plan of action though. Glad to see it all down on paper as it explains a few issues I have been having so hopefully it can be fixed quite quickly.

Had my annual appointment last week. HbA1c was 6.7%. A full 1% down on 12 months ago thanks to the new medication he put me on. Lost 7Kgs since then as well. Happy days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

CramCycle wrote: »
    Clinic today, HbA1c down to 6.8%.
    Had my annual appointment last week. HbA1c was 6.7%.

I'm coming for you :cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Hi Badly Drunk Boy,

Medical advice isn't permitted on boards, so this includes suggested diagnoses. The best person to speak to about this is your doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I haven't been diagnosed with diabetes, and probably don't have it ......

No problem get it though - you need to go to a doctor

eg:

Here's immune system Tcells ( purple dots ) attacking pancreatic islets

The slaughter went on for several hours

So how's everyone getting on with the hot weather?
    I'm away on holiday currently and the combo of high temp and rich food is playing havoc with control.
    Currently up to 50units of Lantus from my usual 32 to get a reading under 9 in the morning.

So how's everyone getting on with the hot weather?
    I'm away on holiday currently and the combo of high temp and rich food is playing havoc with control.
    Currently up to 50units of Lantus from my usual 32 to get a reading under 9 in the morning.

Does hot weather have an effect on BG readings?

• Advertisement

Does hot weather have an effect on BG readings?

Yep can affect them greatly.
    Dependant on the form of control but some medications are really affected by the change in metabolism brought about by hot weather.
    https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-hot-weather.html

Advertisement