Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

  • 02-03-2011 2:22pm
    #1
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,937 ✭✭✭✭ tbh


    Hey guys - I've created a single "chat" thread for all the diabetics for any topics of conversation that don't fit in the existing threads.


«134567164

Comments

  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 23,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭ robinph


    :( Looks like I miss guessed that pile of pasta I ate earlier and under dosed by quite a bit.

    :) No need to inject to fix the error, just press a couple of buttons and problem will soon be fixed.

    :( Best set my alarm to wake me up in a couple of hours as I'm not confident about the basals being safe to sleep through just yet after also just taking a bolus.


  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Alanstrainor


    robinph wrote: »
    :( Best set my alarm to wake me up in a couple of hours as I'm not confident about the basals being safe to sleep through just yet after also just taking a bolus.

    Give yourself a couple of weeks to iron out your basals and you'll be flying!

    Out of interest, what kind of carb:insulin ratio are you on?


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 23,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭ robinph


    I'm on 1:10 Carb ratio at the moment, but I think I'll be tweaking that a bit.

    :(:(:( Just tested and it had actually gone up even more, so had to break out an actual proper syringe for the first time in 14 years to give a shot and have now changed my set. I think I saw air bubbles in the tubing bit I'm now more concerned with getting some kip.


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭ CramCycle


    Brilliant, we can post here when we're having hypos, it'll be like drunk posting for diabetics :pac:


  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭ CathyMoran


    Hypo posting can be funny - speaking of which I am mildly at the moment (3.2), was running low most of yesterday afternoon and am tired (though other health issues and pregnancy affecting that as well). Last night my bloods went up to 6.8 as I am munching on gavason at the moment.

    Am lucky that I have my husband for hypos at night, he was in hospital for a few days recently and I was setting an alarm for every hour - my bloods are that unstable.


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭ CramCycle


    CathyMoran wrote: »
    Am lucky that I have my husband for hypos at night, he was in hospital for a few days recently and I was setting an alarm for every hour - my bloods are that unstable.

    Hope your feeling a little more relaxed now he's back, I've had stages over my life where I have been similar (with control, not pregnancy ;) ). It's an incredible stress that no one needs. I remember doing the alarm thing, thinking as I fall asleep I might not wake up, it's a horrible feeling.


  • Registered Users Posts: 578 Caros


    Hi guys, I've been type 2 diabetic for the last few years and on glucophage and diamicron. My last hba1c's were 12.4 (!) in January, and my gp said she'd refer me to see an endicrinologist about going on insulin - still waiting. Blood sugar levels are all over the place, 17.2 at 9.30p.m. last night, 11.4 this a.m. I feel at this stage if I eat a lettuce leaf my bloods are going up.
    I don't have medical insurance or a medical card, but I do have a long term illness card. Can anyone tell me if I go privately to see the endicrinologist would it get me in quicker?


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭ CramCycle


    Caros wrote: »
    Hi guys, I've been type 2 diabetic for the last few years and on glucophage and diamicron. My last hba1c's were 12.4 (!) in January, and my gp said she'd refer me to see an endicrinologist about going on insulin - still waiting. Blood sugar levels are all over the place, 17.2 at 9.30p.m. last night, 11.4 this a.m. I feel at this stage if I eat a lettuce leaf my bloods are going up.
    I don't have medical insurance or a medical card, but I do have a long term illness card. Can anyone tell me if I go privately to see the endicrinologist would it get me in quicker?

    Are you attending a Diabetic Clinic in any hospital yet? It sounds like your not but I could be wrong, get yourself signed up to one ASAP, they will have nurses and doctors dedicated to the diabetes as well as be able to give reasonably quick referrals to other specialists inside the hospital.


  • Registered Users Posts: 578 Caros


    Thank you Cramcycle, no I'm not attending a diabetic linic, moved counties (Cork to Kerry) a year and half ago, and moved GP's also. I was attending a diabetic clinic in Cork. Does the referral for the Diabetic clinic have to come from GP?
    I'm getting quite worried now with my levels.


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭ CramCycle


    Caros wrote: »
    Thank you Cramcycle, no I'm not attending a diabetic linic, moved counties (Cork to Kerry) a year and half ago, and moved GP's also. I was attending a diabetic clinic in Cork. Does the referral for the Diabetic clinic have to come from GP?
    I'm getting quite worried now with my levels.

    It may be awkward but I would ring up your old clinic and try and arrange an appointment ASAP, if you can get down to them that is. Not sure if you need a referral from a GP or not if you want to move to another clinic, your old clinic might be able to arrange the transfer.


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 23,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭ robinph


    Glad that this day of fasting and excessive finger pricking is now over and I've just pigged out for dinner. :D

    Think I did get some useful numbers out of the day, but the more important issue is that I saw some Jaffa Cakes in the cupboard.


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 23,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭ robinph


    :(

    Stupid GP.

    Three weeks ago picked up a prescription of 1 vial as it was needed quickly to get me started on the pump a couple of days later. Realised pretty quickly that 1 vial was only going to last just over a week so ordered some more, still not sure entirely so had only ordered another 2 as I figured that would do for now.

    They only give me another 1, pharmacist thinks it's daft and says to order 10 at a time. Order 10.

    Today they give me another 1 vial. So go in and explain to the receptionist yet again that 10 does not equal 1. :(

    If they are trying to save money on what they prescribe then I've already done that by now having far more kit signed off by the hospital. I'm sure the price for a vial of insulin is less than it was for two different types of prefilled pens and the two different types of needles to then fit them.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 837 whiteonion


    Caros wrote: »
    Hi guys, I've been type 2 diabetic for the last few years and on glucophage and diamicron. My last hba1c's were 12.4 (!) in January, and my gp said she'd refer me to see an endicrinologist about going on insulin - still waiting. Blood sugar levels are all over the place, 17.2 at 9.30p.m. last night, 11.4 this a.m. I feel at this stage if I eat a lettuce leaf my bloods are going up.
    I don't have medical insurance or a medical card, but I do have a long term illness card. Can anyone tell me if I go privately to see the endicrinologist would it get me in quicker?
    I'm not a doctor or anything and I am obviously not going to give you any medical advise but have you ever thought of avoiding foods that raises the level of blood glucose in your body?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ✭✭✭ IrishLady


    My young brother was diagnosed last year with type 1 and his insulin is going to be changed from novamix to novarapid and lantus because his sugar level is high alot lately(even though he excercises and eats healthy... meaning i will have to inject him 5 times a day instead of twice daily .. Anyone else on this insulin just wondering is it any use?? Im starting him 2morrow im nervous for him :confused:but hopefully it goes well.

    Its such a horrible thing for him to be dealing with at such a young age wish there was a cure for it ...
    Hes so good and never complains im blessed to have him in my life


  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭ CathyMoran


    IrishLady wrote: »
    My young brother was diagnosed last year with type 1 and his insulin is going to be changed from novamix to novarapid and lantus because his sugar level is high alot lately(even though he excercises and eats healthy... meaning i will have to inject him 5 times a day instead of twice daily .. Anyone else on this insulin just wondering is it any use?? Im starting him 2morrow im nervous for him :confused:but hopefully it goes well.

    Its such a horrible thing for him to be dealing with at such a young age wish there was a cure for it ...
    Hes so good and never complains im blessed to have him in my life
    I have found lantus and novorapid to be great - it gives me a lot more fleibility. The injecting a lot more often is not an issue (the pens are great). I was diagnosed over 26 years ago when I was 10.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ✭✭✭ IrishLady


    CathyMoran wrote: »
    I have found lantus and novorapid to be great - it gives me a lot more fleibility. The injecting a lot more often is not an issue (the pens are great). I was diagnosed over 26 years ago when I was 10.

    Thanks cathy :)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭ xxshebeexx


    How does everyone work their pens, those who inject? Do you put on a fresh needle every time, taking it off after? Or use it a few times?

    I used to use a needle two or three times, until they were blunt and started being hard to push into my skin. I very rarely got bruises or pain when injecting.

    Recently though, I've started putting a new needle on nearly every time because injecting has starting hurting horribly. I inject around the tummy area, but I always rotate the site, after all the scary warnings from the doctors. But I still end up with lots of bruises. Most of them are small, but a few times a month I get bigger ones and once I had one that covered about a quarter of my abdominal area.. it was huge and black and very painful.

    I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm rotating, using fresh needles (the smallest size that fit on the Novarapid and Levemir pens) and taking my time with it. I asked my doctor and he said that I was probably hitting nerves and just to move the needle over ever so slightly to a new site. Whenever I go to the clinic, I don't have bruises to show - of course!!!

    Has this happened to anyone else? I just don't understand how I went from re-using needles and being grand, to using fresh needles and drawing blood most times I inject :( My poor tummy is getting fed up with me poking it like a pin cushion!


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭ CramCycle


    robinph wrote: »
    :(

    Stupid GP.

    Three weeks ago picked up a prescription of 1 vial as it was needed quickly to get me started on the pump a couple of days later. Realised pretty quickly that 1 vial was only going to last just over a week so ordered some more, still not sure entirely so had only ordered another 2 as I figured that would do for now.

    They only give me another 1, pharmacist thinks it's daft and says to order 10 at a time. Order 10.

    Today they give me another 1 vial. So go in and explain to the receptionist yet again that 10 does not equal 1. :(

    If they are trying to save money on what they prescribe then I've already done that by now having far more kit signed off by the hospital. I'm sure the price for a vial of insulin is less than it was for two different types of prefilled pens and the two different types of needles to then fit them.

    Will the Pharmacist not just add onto your name on the computer in the Pharmacy? Normallly ( I am guessing) since its something you will continually use you would get a script to stick into your LTI book and get your local health board to stamp it. Any pharmacist I have ever met is happy to honour the script even before the HSE has stamped it off.

    My pharmacist also always gives me the number I ask for for anything rather than the number listed on the script/LTI book to save me coming in every few days.

    IrishLady wrote: »
    My young brother was diagnosed last year with type 1 and his insulin is going to be changed from novamix to novarapid and lantus because his sugar level is high alot lately(even though he excercises and eats healthy... meaning i will have to inject him 5 times a day instead of twice daily .. Anyone else on this insulin just wondering is it any use?? Im starting him 2morrow im nervous for him :confused:but hopefully it goes well.

    As Cathy says, seems to be far better for control than the novomix. As far as I knew (well thought I knew) they had stopped prescribing that awhile ago unless you had good control with it already, as most people find it difficult to get good control or adapt their regime/lifestyle to suit the dosage or the lifestyle.
    xxshebeexx wrote: »
    How does everyone work their pens, those who inject? Do you put on a fresh needle every time, taking it off after? Or use it a few times?

    I used to use a needle two or three times, until they were blunt and started being hard to push into my skin. I very rarely got bruises or pain when injecting.

    Recently though, I've started putting a new needle on nearly every time because injecting has starting hurting horribly. I inject around the tummy area, but I always rotate the site, after all the scary warnings from the doctors. But I still end up with lots of bruises. Most of them are small, but a few times a month I get bigger ones and once I had one that covered about a quarter of my abdominal area.. it was huge and black and very painful.

    I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm rotating, using fresh needles (the smallest size that fit on the Novarapid and Levemir pens) and taking my time with it. I asked my doctor and he said that I was probably hitting nerves and just to move the needle over ever so slightly to a new site. Whenever I go to the clinic, I don't have bruises to show - of course!!!

    Has this happened to anyone else? I just don't understand how I went from re-using needles and being grand, to using fresh needles and drawing blood most times I inject :( My poor tummy is getting fed up with me poking it like a pin cushion!

    Do you use any other sites other than your stomach? It sounds like you are just rotating round there. You could try moving to your arms(tricep area)/legs(outer/inner thigh)/ass(top off).

    Not rotating sites enough can lead to problems such as loss of feeling in the area due to nerve damage, can lower your absorption rates or make the rates irregular due to damage to fatty tissue under the skin. Personally i got Lipoatrophy where the fat wasted away on my inner thighs as a child because I never rotated the sites. It took almost 10 years for the hollows to disappear completely. This is unusual and most people will get lipohypertrophy where the building up of fat under the skin causes it to harden and more difficult to inject.

    I have had bad bruising before but not often. The bruising is usually just from hitting an unusually large blood vessel near the skin which doesn't clot immediately and is usually pretty rare and not harmful. The pain could also be from aggrevating a nerve directly (so my doc told me) again rare enough, usually happens to me once a week.


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 23,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭ robinph


    CramCycle wrote: »
    Will the Pharmacist not just add onto your name on the computer in the Pharmacy? Normallly ( I am guessing) since its something you will continually use you would get a script to stick into your LTI book and get your local health board to stamp it. Any pharmacist I have ever met is happy to honour the script even before the HSE has stamped it off.

    My pharmacist also always gives me the number I ask for for anything rather than the number listed on the script/LTI book to save me coming in every few days.

    I'm now on the NHS and the pharmacist will only give you exactly what is written on the prescription. The LTI book in Ireland was very good and the pharmacists were always open to tweaking what they gave you where it made sense, such as you get a new BG meter they will just give you the strips that you need for it. In the UK you need to get a new prescription, although it doesn't cost you €60 to go see the GP to get them to put the new items on the prescription so can't really complain about that.


  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭ Supraman


    Just started on Novarapid and Levimir last week. Find I'm feeling better in myself. Definitely less low blood sugars, a bit more trial and error and I feel I'll have the few highs down to a minimal also.

    Find it's a bit inconvenient alright with the amount of injections but I'll happily keep it up if my bloods are good.


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭ CramCycle


    robinph wrote: »
    I'm now on the NHS and the pharmacist will only give you exactly what is written on the prescription. The LTI book in Ireland was very good and the pharmacists were always open to tweaking what they gave you where it made sense, such as you get a new BG meter they will just give you the strips that you need for it. In the UK you need to get a new prescription, although it doesn't cost you €60 to go see the GP to get them to put the new items on the prescription so can't really complain about that.

    Ah, makes sense now. I was on the NHS myself years ago. We used to get the scripts written out at hospital appointments as far as I remember but that was almost 25 years ago. I think they used to do open ended prescriptions as well where you could get a refill on the script as many times as possible so it acted like an LTI book in itself. They probably got rid of it for fear of people abusing the system some how, pity.


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 23,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭ robinph


    CramCycle wrote: »
    Ah, makes sense now. I was on the NHS myself years ago. We used to get the scripts written out at hospital appointments as far as I remember but that was almost 25 years ago. I think they used to do open ended prescriptions as well where you could get a refill on the script as many times as possible so it acted like an LTI book in itself. They probably got rid of it for fear of people abusing the system some how, pity.

    I have vague recollections of it working a bit like that years ago myself, but been a long time since I was using the NHS until now. With my GP it should be relatively simple, order what I want online, wait a couple of days, then go and pick stuff up from the chemists next door to the surgery. Not quite figured out how many days to leave them between ordering and picking stuff up yet, and they don't quite seem to write out what I ask for in the prescriptions yet.

    One of the previous ones I got I had ordered a couple of hundred BG test strips, which should have been 4 boxes. They gave the pharmacist an order for 200 ketone test strips and they come in boxes of 10. :eek:

    Sent most of them straight back.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rioghan


    I have developed those horrible lipos on my stomach near my belly button, the doc said they'd go in about 3-6 months, but insulin absorption will never be the same again. :( Went on the DAFNE program last week and found out that lots of the things i was doing in relation to my diabetes was wrong. I also have a very overprotective mother about it and she freaks at my bloods beign 5, terrified that i will hypo. I've had diabetes since i was 9 and im 19 now, and i still cant get a grip on the damn thing :P


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭ CramCycle


    Having a bad week this week, no real reason but it did give me a hypo symptom I haven't had in several years and it is by far the worst I know off. Does everyone get fairly varied symptoms or do you repeat the same ones each time? I think I know all of mine but they are tremendously varied. I prefer the physical symptoms as the mental symptoms are often borderline traumatic (some are enjoyable but not enough to make it worth it).

    Do people get just one symptom or multiple?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,937 ✭✭✭✭ tbh


    I get multiple, but always the same ones. The one that annoys me mist is that I get a line of a song that just repeats relentlessly in my head - hate that!


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭ CramCycle


    tbh wrote: »
    I get multiple, but always the same ones. The one that annoys me mist is that I get a line of a song that just repeats relentlessly in my head - hate that!

    Thats a hypo symptom? Oh crap :(


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 eilo1


    Hey just wondering guys what do you drink? (alcohol wise)

    I love my bulmers and white wine, oh sugary goodness.....................


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭ xxshebeexx


    eilo1 wrote: »
    Hey just wondering guys what do you drink? (alcohol wise)

    I love my bulmers and white wine, oh sugary goodness.....................

    Alcopops all the way. Alternated with Jaegerbombs and Mickey Finn's. Probably the worst thing I could be drinking. :o I just don't really like alcohol unless it tastes sweet..


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 23,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭ robinph


    eilo1 wrote: »
    Hey just wondering guys what do you drink? (alcohol wise)

    I love my bulmers and white wine, oh sugary goodness.....................

    Anything and everything. :D

    Although I wouldn't drink the likes of Bulmers or alcopops on principle, quite apart from the fact that they taste vile. I do drink cider, but only during 1 week a year when I'm at Glastonbury. That being proper cider that has been made with apples, rather than the likes of Bulmers which is just apple flavoured. ;)


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 eilo1


    robinph wrote: »
    Anything and everything. :D

    Although I wouldn't drink the likes of Bulmers or alcopops on principle, quite apart from the fact that they taste vile. I do drink cider, but only during 1 week a year when I'm at Glastonbury. That being proper cider that has been made with apples, rather than the likes of Bulmers which is just apple flavoured. ;)

    Cider Snob! ;) lol


Advertisement