Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭banjobongo

I also got conflicting advice every time I went to the clinic - but always had ok control. Eventually did my own research- read Pumping insulin - and asked the diabetes nurses if they would use one if diagnosed. All of them said they would.

So I opted for one - knowing I could go back to injections if I needed to, but haven't looked back. Hba1c has consistently below 7 ever since I started pumping.

and what is having a pump like in terms of living an active life, are you fully able to do anyhting you want to do - swim, run, shower etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Dick Dastardly

banjobongo wrote: »

and what is having a pump like in terms of living an active life, are you fully able to do anyhting you want to do - swim, run, shower etc?

Absolutely. It's probably as close to normal as you can get. Exercising is easier (and safer) as I know how much active insulin I have in my system.

Swimming is fine so long as you aren't sitting in the pool for hours - once on a pump you only use short term insulin so being disconnected for any extended period of time can lead to a bg rise.

Showering etc is fine - just disconnect, shower and reconnect. Biggest thing to get used to (in my view) is sleeping with it - but is not a big deal.

TBH I'd say it would be tough to find someone who used a pump and then moved back to injections.

ok thanks I must check it out...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Got my hba1c back today, 6.6. A new personal best. Another interesting bit of info I have realised, for anyone using a medtronic pump, when you do a pump upload to the carelink website and look at the report it generates. It's estimate has been spot on both times I've checked in the last year. Estimate this time was 6.7 actual 6.6. Six months ago the estimate was 6.8 actual 6.7. Good to know that you can somewhat accurately check your hba1c regularly with decent accuracy.

I was also asking about replacement pumps. I have been pumping for 11 years now, and I've been on the Minimed 530g pump for nearly 4 years, and so my warranty will end come February. I wanted to know what pumps were available, and the response was that it was very open, and you would get whatever you wanted. So I'll have to research the different options out there.

And another bit of info I asked about was when the freestyle libre blood glucose monitor would be made free to use under the LTI card. And the response was most probably in January. The NHS have recently done so, and the HSE generally follows their lead. So happy days.

https://freestylediabetes.ie/freestyle-libre

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I love this on their website :
    The days of routine glucose testing with lancets, test strips and blood are over.

never heard of Dexcom lol ?

280 readings a day and since it's continuous they warn of trends

2929w06.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

And another bit of info I asked about was when the freestyle libre blood glucose monitor would be made free to use under the LTI card. And the response was most probably in January. The NHS have recently done so, and the HSE generally follows their lead. So happy days.

https://freestylediabetes.ie/freestyle-libre
    I love my Freestyle Libre, I just feel guilty that it currently costs my family so much..he sooner it is on the LTI the better. I am not on the pump but it has made a huge change to my life. My 6 year old wants to 'scan mummy' and it has reduced my severe low blood sugars even enabled me to get a short bus journey.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

gctest50 wrote: »
    I love this on their website :

never heard of Dexcom lol ?

280 readings a day and since it's continuous they warn of trends

2929w06.png

To be fair, this is not a CGM, and it is different in some other ways to the Dexcom. The Dexcom requires 2 finger pricks per day to calibrate. The libre does not need to be calibrated. Whatever process they use to make the sensors means that it should be accurate without calibration for 14 days. And since this is not a CGM, it cannot warn you in real time about lows/highs/trends. You only get warning when you scan (ie, place the monitor over the sensor. Or your phone actually which is cool.)

Since I have a pump with cgm I'm not so sure this will be as ground breaking for me. But if it proves accurate and I can lower the number of finger pricks per day then I'll be delighted.

Another interesting bit of info from the doc today, if you test your sugars 6 or more times a day using conventional finger prick glucose monitors, it is more expensive for the HSE than using a libre.

Or your phone actually which is cool.

Dexcom works on Android, iPhone, Ipods directly over Bluetooth

cooler :

If your ( T1 ) child is in school, you could put a phone in their bag and you would be able to see their alerts from anywhere in the world

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dexcom.follow&hl=en

The Dexcom Follow app is part of the Dexcom Share™ system.

Dexcom Follow is the perfect companion to your loved one’s Dexcom CGM, connecting you to those nearest and dearest to you, even when they’re far away. Through secure wireless connections, the Dexcom Follow app allows you to view and follow the glucose levels, trends and data of your loved ones.

To be fair, this is not a CGM, and it is different in some other ways to the Dexcom. ............

It's re-inventing the wheel, badly - looks like they were skirting patents more or less

Perhaps there is transfer of value :

https://www.transferofvalue.ie/

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/health-pharma/abbott-s-10m-move-to-new-base-may-bring-jobs-to-co-sligo-1.3101375

you wouldn't know what'd be going on :

The same happened with me regarding the pump. I improved my control and then told it was too good for a pump.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If your ( T1 ) child is in school, you could put a phone in their bag and you would be able to see their alerts from anywhere in the world

I seen a cool app the other day (in use, not on line), where the Dexcom CGM was sending data to the mothers tablet in the next room so she could get sleep, nice and simple, not too bright but bright enough if the mother woke up and looked at it, she could see it and an alarm so she could correct issues. Said it has helped her sleep really well.

Seen another similar one as you described, leaving phone in bag at school so the parent could check in.

Not sure if either were the official apps or not.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »

Not sure if either were the official apps or not.

Both are official apps

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dexcom-g5-mobile/id949574583?mt=8

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dexcom-follow/id649569564?mt=8

you can display it on an Apple watch ( or a Pebble if you like a bit of messin )
    I2YwT5r.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

It's re-inventing the wheel, badly - looks like they were skirting patents more or less

Hello,

I'm guessing your reply was to Alan's about the Libre.. wondering how you think they (Abbott) are badly reinventing the wheel. I've been using it the last number of months and I find it a superb, and I'd only been pricking my fingers for 3-4 months :) I'm sure everyone knows it's not a CGM, but it sure as hell gives good insight into trends, immediate readings and fairly accurate HBA1C readings, based on my last clinic visit.

TBH, I know little about Dexcom, so willing to learn more about your experience with both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭uli84

Anyone else noticed that medtronic sensors last 12 days if the transmitter is re-charged after 6 days and then reconnected to sensor and "start a new sensor" selected?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭meath12

I was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and I was only put on insulin about a week ago. I'm just wondering what affect this will have on my car insurance. I'm planning to ring my insurance company and the ndls as I presume Il need to get a new driving licence as well. I'm just wondering does insurance increase for people who have type 1 diabetes?

meath12 wrote: »
    I was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and I was only put on insulin about a week ago. I'm just wondering what affect this will have on my car insurance. I'm planning to ring my insurance company and the ndls as I presume Il need to get a new driving licence as well. I'm just wondering does insurance increase for people who have type 1 diabetes?
    In theory, if you have a letter from your consultant confirming good control, it should make no difference, although I think it does. Make sure you are testing before you drive and I think typically every 45 minutes if driving long distances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

You just need to notify the insurance company and the driving licence body, whoever they are this week.

No need for a new licence but you may be restricted to 3 year licences instead of the normal 10 year licence.

As Cramcycle said, test before driving and regularly while driving.

On insurance, some companies require a doctors letter every year and some only require a signed form from yourself to say it's under control. There should be no increase in insurance costs just because you're diabetic either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Check out this page from Diabetes Ireland, it has useful information on driving with Type 1. https://www.diabetes.ie/living-with-diabetes/living-type-1/driving-type-1-diabetes/

uli84 wrote: »
    Anyone else noticed that medtronic sensors last 12 days if the transmitter is re-charged after 6 days and then reconnected to sensor and "start a new sensor" selected?

This is something that you see the yanks talking about online when trying to get the best bang for their buck since most are paying/partially paying for their sensors. Yes, the pump will blindly accept the old sensor if you follow the above steps. However, the sensor loses it's ability to accurately track readings over time. You will notice a much flatter read out as you go beyond the 6 day mark. You might think this is due to amazing control, but really it's more likely that the sensor is just no longer accurately reacting quick changes in blood sugars.

Given that we get these sensors on the LTI card I would not recommend you do the above.

When they don't get pulled out by clothes or kids, my dexcom inserts last over 3 weeks and still accurate. I have it on LTI but the odd one gets ripped out early and the script does state X amount per year, so I run them for as long as possible to build up a stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

When they don't get pulled out by clothes or kids, my dexcom inserts last over 3 weeks and still accurate. I have it on LTI but the odd one gets ripped out early and the script does state X amount per year, so I run them for as long as possible to build up a stock.

I'm self funding the G5 at the moment (although I'm hoping to get the sensors covered under the HSE soon, they won't cover the transmitter but you'd get over that!) and I generally can get about 2 & a half weeks out of a sensor, although the adhesive plaster is so frustratingly bad, that scarcely lasts a week, I just have to put reams & reams of Opsite on it, which is not cheap either 🙃

• Advertisement

I'm self funding the G5 at the moment (although I'm hoping to get the sensors covered under the HSE soon, they won't cover the transmitter but you'd get over that!) and I generally can get about 2 & a half weeks out of a sensor, although the adhesive plaster is so frustratingly bad, that scarcely lasts a week, I just have to put reams & reams of Opsite on it, which is not cheap either 🙃

Medical tape from work for me. Lasts far longer in the winter than the summer if the last month is anything to go by as the plaster doesn't sweat off when commuting into work.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Dick Dastardly

I'm self funding the G5 at the moment (although I'm hoping to get the sensors covered under the HSE soon, they won't cover the transmitter but you'd get over that!) and I generally can get about 2 & a half weeks out of a sensor, although the adhesive plaster is so frustratingly bad, that scarcely lasts a week, I just have to put reams & reams of Opsite on it, which is not cheap either ðŸ™႒

Medical tape from work for me. Lasts far longer in the winter than the summer if the last month is anything to go by as the plaster doesn't sweat off when commuting into work.

And tegaderm works for me. If you explain to the doctor prescribing that it’s needed to protect the sensor they’ll probably cover it €1 spend to protect €50 sensor). My pharmacist just called the lti (I didn’t have it on the prescription) and they allowed it straight up.

And tegaderm works for me. If you explain to the doctor prescribing that it’s needed to protect the sensor they’ll probably cover it €1 spend to protect €50 sensor). My pharmacist just called the lti (I didn’t have it on the prescription) and they allowed it straight up.

I used tegaderm for awhile but it kept bunching and coming off, I am a sweaty and flexible beast :(

New documentary out in a few weeks on both type 1 and 2 diabetes in Ireland, bit on research, bit on treatments and a bit on the human side, here is the trailer:

https://vimeo.com/242714712

ok thanks I must check it out...

just coming back to ye all on checking out getting a pump...I live in Limerick...there is nobody in Limerick qualified to support this in Limerick, the staff themselves are only due to receive training in pumps in the next few weeks, so its not an option for me to even consider until the staff in Limerick themselves are up an running....all down to staff shortages I think.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

just coming back to ye all on checking out getting a pump...I live in Limerick...there is nobody in Limerick qualified to support this in Limerick, the staff themselves are only due to receive training in pumps in the next few weeks, so its not an option for me to even consider until the staff in Limerick themselves are up an running....all down to staff shortages I think.....
    I go to Barringtons, the Endo there is putting a good few onto pumps.

I don't want to seem like I'm pushing her but that may be an option for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Doctor called with yearly bloods today. Vitamin d low and Hbc1a 46.

Up a bit on last year. Back to doc tomorrow to give him more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sbananas

Hi everyone im new to this so thanks for reading! Im type 1 diabetic and went to gp (it was a locum) today to get medical form completed for drivers licence renewal. She refused to fill it in as last time i had my hba1c done was april this year (it was 6.2 and has always been in this range since diagnosis)and she said it would have had to be done in last 2 months. Just wondering is this normal or was Gp being difficult!

Difficult compared to most Irish GPs. I think mine took it on faith when I told him it was good. In your GPs defence, probably doing due diligence like they all should. Presume all you have to do is get one done and they will sign you off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Need to get some injections for Vitamin B12, Doc says it is low.

Apparently it helps the circulation a lot.

Advertisement