Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny Football - ??

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Anyone else notice that in the media, when the football is weak in Kilkenny, the blame lies with Kilkenny for having little interest in the big ball.

Yet when Cavan pulls out of the Lory Meagher, it's Croke Park's fault! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 roscommon2010

Maybe TG4 could run an Underdogs competition for Kilkenny with a view to selecting a team for the 2012 Leinster Championship first round.

Footballers from all over the country as well as all parts of Kilkenny could have the opportunity to compete for a place on the team.

Both Kieran Donaghy and Pearse O'Neill were both uncovered by the Underdogs show and both went on to win football All Irelands - so the talent is out there!

At worst - it would be a memorable day out for the Kilkenny footballers and all related in front of a big crowd in the first round of the Leinster Championship.

At best - it could be the foundation stone for Kilkenny to build on in the next few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

In case anyone missed it

16 April
    Leinster Minor Football championship
    Wexford 7-17 Kilkenny 0-0

Being from Wexford, I am delighted with that result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Anyone else notice that in the media, when the football is weak in Kilkenny, the blame lies with Kilkenny for having little interest in the big ball.

Yet when Cavan pulls out of the Lory Meagher, it's Croke Park's fault! :confused:

Have you a link to such stories?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Kilkenny beat Wexford in the Junior football last night with a last minute goal, 3-5 to 13 points. It was a decent Wexford side, mainly second string players. Kilkennys senior side were playing, but its a step at least, and in fairness, a decent result. Many of the Wexford side played league for them this year, and a few of under 21s played who won Leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Special Red

Kilkenny Defeat Wexford in Leinster Junior Football Championship

Kilkenny football received a great boost with a victory over Wexford in the Leinster Junior Football Championship in Nowlan Park tonight (Wednesday) thanks to a last minute goal from Mullinavat's Michael Malone. Having played against the breeze Kilkenny were only four points in arrears at the interval (0-9 to 1-2) mainly thanks to a J.J. Dunphy goal. A good second half seemed to be falling just short as the game went into additional time until a Graham Lawlor free was knocked into the Wexford net by Malone. Kilkenny showed a good level of skill, fitness and commitment throughout and will be delighted with this victory which puts them in the semi-final against Cavan in two weeks time.

Teams and Scorers;

Scorers- Kilkenny: D. Prendergast 1-3 (0-2f), J. J. Dunphy 1-1, M. Malone 1-0, J. Fennelly 0-1.
    Wexford: M. O'Regan 0-3 (all frees), J Holmes 0-1(free), S. O'Neill, J. Carty 0-2 each, K. Gore, S. O'Loughlin, K. Cahill, P. Kelly 0-1 each.
    Kilkenny - J. J. O'Sullivan, D Gannon, T Kehoe, P Raftice, S Kenny, J Mackey, D Fitzpatrick, M Malone, M Mahony, E Vereker, M Duggan, J J Grace, D Prendergast, J J Dunphy, R Shore. Substitutes: M. Saunders for E. Vereker; G. Lawlor for M. Duggan; F. McEnroe for M. Mahony.

Wexford - T. Hughes, S. Gaule, L. Kent, N. Murphy, D. Gardiner, T. Wall, S. Culleton, M O'Regan, S. O'Neill, J. Carty, J. Holmes, K. Gore, K. O'Grady, S. O'Loughlin, K. Cahill. Substitutes- P. Kelly for K. O'Grady, K. Kehoe for J. Carty, T. Foley for S. O'Loughlin, D. Butler for N. Murphy

Referee- A. Nolan (Wicklow).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

great result for the football followers and players from Kilkenny - apparently they do exist!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Woohoo!Over 25,000 in Nowlan Park to witness this historic victory I heard!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

Great day in GAA circumstances,we'r on the road.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Enjoy it while ye can lads,
    June 8th, Cavan Juniors are coming to Nowlan to crucify ye ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Ah yeah, but it's very easy when you only concentrate on the 1 sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Well fair play guys, I was one first to shout about ye but credit where credit is due.

Best of luck against Cavan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Well done Kilkenny. As a Wexford man I am shocked. But why are Cavan playing in Leinster?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

adrian522 wrote: »
    Ah yeah, but it's very easy when you only concentrate on the 1 sport.

Too true, in Kerry Football is the dominant sport, however the majority of clubs have Hurling teams and Kerry are back in the final of the Christy Ring for the second year in a row after finishing runners up last year.

I am sure that if Kerry channelled all resources and talent into Football similar to how Kilkenny ignores football then Kerry would be even stronger however the GAA is about both codes and Kerry had a Hurling all-Ireland won twelve years before Kilkenny ever did, unfortunately we haven't won one since!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭wee bey

Kilkennys success in hurling is very much diluted by their neglect of football. Galway Wexford Tipp Cork Antrim Laois Limerick and Dublin are proper GAA counties. Kilkenny? Meh

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

wee bey wrote: »
    Kilkennys success in hurling is very much diluted by their neglect of football. Galway Wexford Tipp Cork Antrim Laois Limerick and Dublin are proper GAA counties. Kilkenny? Meh

285 posts later and still goes back to this point. great!:rolleyes:

Have to say well done to Kilkenny on that result. When i seen it i thought my eyes were playing tricks on me :)

EDIT: Just watching the soccer highlights at the moment where Paul Mcshane has displayed a sublime bit of skill. What a strange week its been in sport. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭sendit

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Well done Kilkenny. As a Wexford man I am shocked. But why are Cavan playing in Leinster?

Theres no Ulster Championship for some reason, another Ulster team i tihink its Fermanagh played in the Connacht Championship

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Seanieoneill

I am from Kerry and we could use the same excuse but we are competing respectably in Div 2A. Yes, we know that we are not in the same league as Kilkenny, Tipp or Cork but where I come from in North Kerry, there is not any football played and we don't apologise for that in that it we have always been a hurling area and that is that. Of course, we still support and admire Jack O'Connor and the lads but Hurling is No. 1 for us. Have we received hammerings? Yes. Recently 5-18 to 1-14 against Cork but we know where we are, a second tier team and we will try our best to build from there. When we get hammered in hurling, it is by Div. 1 teams. When Kilkenny get hammered in football, it is by Div. 4 teams. Big difference. Players not bothering to show up to play for Kilkenny footballers is not good enough.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Any particular reason you decided to resurrect a year old thread when there is a current thread dealing with the exact same subject and then post the same thing in both?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

adrian522 wrote: »
    Any particular reason you decided to resurrect a year old thread when there is a current thread dealing with the exact same subject and then post the same thing in both?

Newbies doing their thing:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Interview with Kilkenny manager, it shows just what he's up against.

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=163119

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

county board should resign at next meeting. these people are doing nothing to promote the gaelic games in kilkenny.

You registered to post that? Should have posted it in the correct thread at least ...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056564083

Advertisement