Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny Football - ??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Oh sweet jesus :rolleyes:
    Kilkenny people don't care about football, stop telling them they should care.

The county board should start giving the reason to care, because at the moment they have none.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

blackbelt wrote: »

I see where the Kilkenny fans are coming from in terms of arguments in relation to interest and the issue of weak hurling counties,that argument comes more from the idea of Kilkenny being victimised when a lot of counties have weak hurling teams but the issue is Kilkenny football and the contempt/weakness shown to it,especially at county board level.

Looking back through the thread I am almost convinced that the Kilkenny county board might have a case to answer. While my own thoughts on Kilkenny football haven't changed if there are people interested in football then they should get the attention from the KCB they deserve.

But for all the protestations that this is a thread about Kilkenny football and not Cavan Hurling the fact is that there is over 240 posts about KK football and we don't even have a thread on Cavan hurling (and I don't think we ever will) and it might just be victimisation as you suggest but it seems to me that there is an agenda here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,376 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Looking back through the thread I am almost convinced that the Kilkenny county board might have a case to answer. While my own thoughts on Kilkenny football haven't changed if there are people interested in football then they should get the attention from the KCB they deserve.

But for all the protestations that this is a thread about Kilkenny football and not Cavan Hurling the fact is that there is over 240 posts about KK football and we don't even have a thread on Cavan hurling (and I don't think we ever will) and it might just be victimisation as you suggest but it seems to me that there is an agenda here.

I would agree wholeheartedly with your first paragraph.

Your second - well, as has been said - 6 or 7 posts ago I think - Cavan were fairly competitive in div 4 upto recently As Distinct From kk footballers who haven't been competitive in div4 for quite a while - therein lies the difference. That's not someones agenda, that's fact.

I'm from Cork and would be quite happy if kk hurlers didn't win Liam for a long number of years - I think that's a failry typical opinion from where I'm from. Does that mean I should have a go at their county board for the state of kk footballers because of their hurlers or because they are from kk? Fúck no.
    I'm having a go at the kk county board because of the state of their footballers, plain and simple. Not enough is being done to aid them become somewhat competitive in div 4. There are footballers in kk and the ones that are interested ( 20 odd out of 80,000 would do) should be looked after and trained/coached/developed accordingly. Proper structures should be in place! IF that happened I have no doubt they would be competitive in Div 4 - I don't think that is too much to ask from a county board!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

I've raised the issue of Cavan hurling on the new Cavan GAA discussion thread.I believe thats more appropriate to get a reaction and a discussion there,obviously we'll explore the whole issue of a greater amount of counties levels of hurling later but this discussion will continue specifically for KK football while the other threads will debate hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

ShamoBuc wrote: »

Your second - well, as has been said - 6 or 7 posts ago I think - Cavan were fairly competitive in div 4 upto recently As Distinct From kk footballers who haven't been competitive in div4 for quite a while - therein lies the difference. That's not someones agenda, that's fact.

You seem genuine but the above is what is continually driving me mad! The belief that because the Div 4 hurling teams are competitive against each other that they are somehow doing a better job than the Kilkenny footballers. This is the fundamental misunderstanding running right through this thread. Meanwhile Kilkenny footballers are expected to be competitive against teams which are competitive against, and sometimes beat, Div 1 football teams. Therein lies the big difference which some people simply refuse to see.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'm from Cork and would be quite happy if kk hurlers didn't win Liam for a long number of years - I think that's a failry typical opinion from where I'm from. Does that mean I should have a go at their county board for the state of kk footballers because of their hurlers or because they are from kk? Fúck no.
    I'm having a go at the kk county board because of the state of their footballers, plain and simple. Not enough is being done to aid them become somewhat competitive in div 4. There are footballers in kk and the ones that are interested ( 20 odd out of 80,000 would do) should be looked after and trained/coached/developed accordingly. Proper structures should be in place! IF that happened I have no doubt they would be competitive in Div 4 - I don't think that is too much to ask from a county board!
    Fair enough Shambo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

adrian522 wrote:
    It is completely relevant when you are talking about a county board completely focusing on one sport to the determent of the other.

Yes we are talking about "a county board", the one being Kilkenny, and we are talking about one sport, it being Football. That is what this thread was started for. It is not a generic thread about poor counties in either or both codes, just specifically about Kilkenny Football.
    adrian522 wrote:
    When you argue that the Kilkenny county board are a disgrace and an embarrassment I can agree but I don't accept that they are alone in this as has been suggested throughout this thread.

I am glad you can agree about the Kilkenny county board being a disgrace, so could we continue talking about Kilkenny and Football? I also agree, as do many others in this thread, that there are problems with Hurling in other counties, but that is not what this thread is about. There is an ongoing thread about Hurling's problems and that is where we can talk about that issue. Kilkenny Football would be irrelevant in it, so we should talk about Kilkenny Football here and the poor state of Hurling around the country in that thread.

Martin567 wrote: »
    I explained more than 10 times why the state of hurling around the country was relevant to this thread and you, among others, only confirmed this relevance with your incorrect comparisons between the lower levels of the NFL & NHL. I repeat, the state of hurling around the country is critical to any balanced discussion about the state of Kilkenny Football. Your post above is a particularly patronising attempt to evade that simple fact.

See above.
    You seem genuine but the above is what is continually driving me mad! The belief that because the Div 4 hurling teams are competitive against each other that they are somehow doing a better job than the Kilkenny footballers. This is the fundamental misunderstanding running right through this thread. Meanwhile Kilkenny footballers are expected to be competitive against teams which are competitive against, and sometimes beat, Div 1 football teams. Therein lies the big difference which some people simply refuse to see.

We perfectly understand that. What singles Kilkenny out is how far behind the rest that they are. That is the central issue. So why can't something be done to close that gap? Why is it that, as you say, other Division 4 teams can on their day put it up to Division 1 teams, but Kilkenny can't? Football is easier than Hurling, so we would expect the difference between Division 1 and Division 4 to be quite large in Hurling and it is. At least though, there is no one Hurling team at the bottom tier that is way behind the others at the bottom tier. They are all as bad as each other as it were. That's Hurling, but we are talking football. So why is one county so far behind the rest of the bottom of the football pile? Why is it that the Division 4 football teams are all as bad as each other, except for one which is much worse?

Why is it the other counties that don't put much focus on Football because Hurling is central in them too can still at least get a team out that can play well? With the right effort and training and other ideas that have been mentioned, Kilkenny's football team could go out and perform well too. Other counties can also say that there is little interest in Football but still put competitive teams out. As little interest as there is in Kilkenny, they should still be able to get their team of players that do have an interest to get to the level where they can put up a respectable performance. We do not believe there is some genetic incapability in Kilkenny that prevents people from being good at football that is not present in the other 31 counties. All they need is better training and support from their county board. Yes, other counties in their poorer game also need that, but this thread is specifically about the Kilkenny Football team. So without reference to how bad Hurling teams are in other counties, which is perfectly true and accepted unanimously by us, can we talk about Kilkenny Football? So, for example, if you were elected onto the Kilkenny county board in the morning and told that you had to do something to improve football in the county, what would you do?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,376 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I don't think it is a misunderstanding but is down to the games themselves. Football is a simple enough game really. Once you have good ball skills and are fit you can play away - although many a junior b footballer on a sunday morning doesn't have either:D. This is why you can have a situation where a div 4 team might be competitive against a div1 team.
    However hurling really is a completely different ball game. The skill level is simply on a different scale to football. The skills are worked on for years, honed and toned as they say. You simply cannot compare the skills of the two games - hurling is clearly far more complex. As a direct result of this difference, the variance between div1 and div4 is far wider than in football.

:DTake 15 Italian soccer players and train them for 2 months - you could have a team capable of playing a football game.
    Take 15 Itlaian soccer players and train them for 2 months - do you think you would have a hurling team capable of playing a game of hurling? I seriously doubt it. Expand the difference in the skills over years and years and years and what do you get ...... 30 pissed off Italians:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Fair play to Kilkenny yesterday ending somehow with 3-1. I was 1 of about 30/40 people there, 95% of us were frfom Carlow. Kilkenny have no support at all, bar a few family members of the lads on the team I'd say.

It was a strange old game. 1st up Carlow played about half a regular team and at that most of them were out of position. Our sub keeper who actually has been no 1 for last 3/4 years had a nightmare, spilled one effort from way out into the goal and was bet to a 80/20 ball in his favour for a 2nd. 3rd Kilkenny goal got a nice deflection into forwards arms and he did stick it away well. But think that will end our keepers chance of being Carlow goalie again, he's about 34 has been there for years but really messed up bad yesterday and will be surprised if he is seen again.

Ok sounds good that they got 3-1, but in reality they are shocking. We got 2-21 and kicked lots of wides, and had 2 of 3 playing who would be lucky to make a Kilkenny side. Just hope once and for all Luke Dempsey forgets about them after seeing that yesterday.

It was a routine win with a 2nd string, Kilkenny tried but were terrible even at the basics. It was all just hoof it and hope for the best. Did work out for the goals but most weeks it won't.

Knew we'd beat them by around that, in my prediction on the NFL pools thread here I predicted a Carlow win by 17 pts...and that is exactly how it finished :) (Wasn't me in goal by the way!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

I don't think it is a misunderstanding but is down to the games themselves. Football is a simple enough game really. Once you have good ball skills and are fit you can play away - although many a junior b footballer on a sunday morning doesn't have either:D. This is why you can have a situation where a div 4 team might be competitive against a div1 team.
    However hurling really is a completely different ball game. The skill level is simply on a different scale to football. The skills are worked on for years, honed and toned as they say. You simply cannot compare the skills of the two games - hurling is clearly far more complex. As a direct result of this difference, the variance between div1 and div4 is far wider than in football.

:DTake 15 Italian soccer players and train them for 2 months - you could have a team capable of playing a football game.
    Take 15 Itlaian soccer players and train them for 2 months - do you think you would have a hurling team capable of playing a game of hurling? I seriously doubt it. Expand the difference in the skills over years and years and years and what do you get ...... 30 pissed off Italians:D

Rubbish. It's obvious that football is about a hundred times more popular in Division 4 counties like Fermanagh or Roscommon than hurling is in its Div 4 counties like Longford or Cavan, so of course there is a wider gap between Divisions 1 and 4 hurling. As regards the Italians you forgot the huge advantage that the many transferable skills from soccer (and other games they might have played) to football would give there as opposed to hurling.

My point isn't about whether hurling is the more skilful game or whether it has an effect but it should be obvious that the levels of skill involved cannot be taken as the sole reason for the different levels of competitiveness between 1 and 4.

• Advertisement

Agus wrote: »
    Rubbish. It's obvious that football is about a hundred times more popular in Division 4 counties like Fermanagh or Roscommon than hurling is in its Div 4 counties like Longford or Cavan, so of course there is a wider gap between Divisions 1 and 4 hurling. As regards the Italians you forgot the huge advantage that the many transferable skills from soccer (and other games they might have played) to football would give there as opposed to hurling.

My point isn't about whether hurling is the more skilful game or whether it has an effect but it should be obvious that the levels of skill involved cannot be taken as the sole reason for the different levels of competitiveness between 1 and 4.

In terms of getting the right personnel, coaching and infrastructure in place it is a good reason and as one of the Cavan co board pointed out when they advertised for players in the 1990s, the Johnny Dooley's of this world weren't exactly going to come all the way up north to help them out. i remember a thread on the GAA forum last year where a Cork man living up north said he wanted to get one of Corks star players to come up and coach a kids camp some weekend and the hurler in question wanted £3000 stg and that is before he claimed his expenses so promoting the game is a costly business. As i mentioned earlier KK have Michael Dempsey who is a former Laois footballer and manager but he is involved with their hurling team.

And to further that point remember Saipan in 2002 when the Irish soccer team played a bit of Gaelic football for the media? Even the likes of Clinton Morrison had a basic concept of the game at the end of the session.

Stevecw wrote: »
    Fair play to Kilkenny yesterday ending somehow with 3-1.

3rd Kilkenny goal got a nice deflection into forwards arms and he did stick it away well.

Ok sounds good that they got 3-1, but in reality they are shocking.

Kilkenny tried but were terrible even at the basics. It was all just hoof it and hope for the best. Did work out for the goals but most weeks it won't.

As bad as things are, there seems to be a few positives in there. Whatever about the faults of the Carlow goalkeeper, at least the Kilkenny forward did take his goal well. It wouldn't take a lot for a good coach to get them on top of the basics and not just hoofing it. If they could get the ball to their forwards they would probably get a few more scores.

They could even learn a lot from their hurlers, in terms of tactics, teamwork, support play, movement, creating space etc. In other words, the areas that are common to both games. Remove the camán and sliothar from one set of players and the football from the other set of players and then there isn't a huge amount of difference in the rest of the two games. So if the Kilkenny football players can play Hurling to some level, there is a huge amount that can be transferred to football that could help them. That is a start and a big part of the battle already won before progressing onto the specific skills that set football apart. Even then, the objective is much the same. So a lot of it comes down to confidence. If those players can play Hurling they already have a lot going for them when they take the big ball. It would take some work, but they could make progress. If given the support and training and confidence that would come from that, they'd come out a different team.

15 Italians may have some soccer skills to transfer to Gaelic Football, but 15 Hurlers can bring a lot too. If a bit of intensive training can get 15 Italians playing well in a completely alien game, then 15 Hurlers could easily be trained in a game that they are familiar with. Most Kilkenny people know a lot more about Gaelic Football that Italians would, even if they are not very interested. So it isn't a big leap for them to improve their skills. Now, if only the county board and others would provide what they need.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Flukey wrote: »
    Yes we are talking about "a county board", the one being Kilkenny, and we are talking about one sport, it being Football. That is what this thread was started for. It is not a generic thread about poor counties in either or both codes, just specifically about Kilkenny Football.

I am glad you can agree about the Kilkenny county board being a disgrace, so could we continue talking about Kilkenny and Football? I also agree, as do many others in this thread, that there are problems with Hurling in other counties, but that is not what this thread is about. There is an ongoing thread about Hurling's problems and that is where we can talk about that issue. Kilkenny Football would be irrelevant in it, so we should talk about Kilkenny Football here and the poor state of Hurling around the country in that thread.

See above.

We perfectly understand that. What singles Kilkenny out is how far behind the rest that they are. That is the central issue. So why can't something be done to close that gap? Why is it that, as you say, other Division 4 teams can on their day put it up to Division 1 teams, but Kilkenny can't? Football is easier than Hurling, so we would expect the difference between Division 1 and Division 4 to be quite large in Hurling and it is. At least though, there is no one Hurling team at the bottom tier that is way behind the others at the bottom tier. They are all as bad as each other as it were. That's Hurling, but we are talking football. So why is one county so far behind the rest of the bottom of the football pile? Why is it that the Division 4 football teams are all as bad as each other, except for one which is much worse?

Why is it the other counties that don't put much focus on Football because Hurling is central in them too can still at least get a team out that can play well? With the right effort and training and other ideas that have been mentioned, Kilkenny's football team could go out and perform well too. Other counties can also say that there is little interest in Football but still put competitive teams out. As little interest as there is in Kilkenny, they should still be able to get their team of players that do have an interest to get to the level where they can put up a respectable performance. We do not believe there is some genetic incapability in Kilkenny that prevents people from being good at football that is not present in the other 31 counties. All they need is better training and support from their county board. Yes, other counties in their poorer game also need that, but this thread is specifically about the Kilkenny Football team. So without reference to how bad Hurling teams are in other counties, which is perfectly true and accepted unanimously by us, can we talk about Kilkenny Football? So, for example, if you were elected onto the Kilkenny county board in the morning and told that you had to do something to improve football in the county, what would you do?

I didn't say they were a disgrace you did.

It is far too simplistic to say "The Kilkenny county board should be fired for not doing their job of promoting Gaelic Games in their county" That would achieve absolutely nothing. By that rationale we would be firing about 20 county boards.

It is also naive in the extreme to say

"If the Kilkenny county board were doing their job, all they would have to do is make one phone call and they could have that manager"

As if the manager is the main source of the problem all along??

At present there is zero interest in the sport in Kilkenny. IF there is a desire to change this (and I don't believe there is) then there needs to be separate football clubs set up with separate structures etc and allow the clubs to go into the schools and promote and recruit independently of the hurling clubs.

It's just to difficult to run football from within a hurling club and all the politics that goes with that.

However I really don't see what the big deal with Kilkenny not fielding a strong football team. If there is no interest in football there then leave the other 31 counties at it. Football is strong enough, it doesn't need to be strong in 32 counties.

Why is it so important to you that Kilkenny put out a competitive football team?

Au contraire! You just pointed yet another reason why kk footballers should be better! They have the transferable skills already!! What they lack is the proper training and development to transfer those skills properly into the makings of a football team - they cannot do it by themselves! They turn up every week and 'do their best'. Their best could be alot better were they properly trained in the skills of football !! Enter the kk county board - or not as is the case.

Au contraire! You just pointed yet another reason why kk footballers should be better! They have the transferable skills already!! What they lack is the proper training and development to transfer those skills properly into the makings of a football team - they cannot do it by themselves! They turn up every week and 'do their best'. Their best could be alot better were they properly trained in the skills of football !! Enter the kk county board - or not as is the case.

You might want to read my post again. I said nothing about whether KK footballers should be better. My post was about the reason why the gap between Divisions 1 and 4 is greater in hurling than it is in football.

adrian522 wrote: »
    At present there is zero interest in the sport in Kilkenny.

However I really don't see what the big deal with Kilkenny not fielding a strong football team. If there is no interest in football there then leave the other 31 counties at it. Football is strong enough, it doesn't need to be strong in 32 counties.

Why is it so important to you that Kilkenny put out a competitive football team?

It is very naive to think that there is ZERO interest in football in kk. There are club teams and a county team.
    It has been commented that the interest level is there at primary school level - yet more interest, but not developed! It should be. But apparently all this interest is Zero:confused:

kk footballers do not have to be a strong team, competitive to some degree in div4 would do. It would not be hard to even with the limited interest in football that admittedly exists in kk. A limited interest - in the Right hands - would do for me.

You might want to read my post again. I said nothing about whether KK footballers should be better. My post was about the reason why the gap between Divisions 1 and 4 is greater in hurling than it is in football.

I read it correctly the first time;)
    Au contraire = I did not forget about the transferable skills:rolleyes:

I then continued trying to get my point across - training etc - I hope that's ok with you, feel free to re read any post you might like to do.

I read it correctly the first time;)
    Au contraire = I did not forget about the transferable skills:rolleyes:

I then continued trying to get my point across - training etc - I hope that's ok with you, feel free to re read any post you might like to do.

Well at the time it sure seemed like you did forget given that you appeared to think the skill levels of the sport were the only reason.;)

Sorry for the misunderstanding anyway. When first read it seemed like your post arguing KK should be better was implying that I had taken the opposite view. I didn't realise that you weren't offering any counter-argument to my post.

Well at the time it sure seemed like you did forget given that you appeared to think the skill levels of the sport were the only reason.;)

Sorry for the misunderstanding anyway. When first read it seemed like your post arguing KK should be better was implying that I had taken the opposite view. I didn't realise that you weren't offering any counter-argument to my post.

It's all good fella ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It is very naive to think that there is ZERO interest in football in kk. There are club teams and a county team.
    It has been commented that the interest level is there at primary school level - yet more interest, but not developed! It should be. But apparently all this interest is Zero:confused:

kk footballers do not have to be a strong team, competitive to some degree in div4 would do. It would not be hard to even with the limited interest in football that admittedly exists in kk. A limited interest - in the Right hands - would do for me.

There is zero interest among the sports going public. Fine there are club teams and county teams, how many people go to the matches?

Have you ever been in croke park when a football game precedes the hurling involving Kilkenny? There is no appetite for the game in Kilkenny.

I personally don't see a problem with this it seems to be only outsiders who see this as a huge problem yet they can't explain why.:confused:

Why is it so important to you that Kilkenny be competitive in Division 4?

adrian522 wrote:
    I didn't say they were a disgrace you did.

Really?
    adrian522 wrote:
    When you argue that the Kilkenny county board are a disgrace and an embarrassment I can agree
    adrian522 wrote:
    At present there is zero interest in the sport in Kilkenny.

So those players in the Kilkenny shirts that played Carlow and the admittedly small amount of supporters that were there equals zero? Perhaps they were from Mars! Come on, even the Kilkenny people posting in the thread have said there is some interest. They have said, even in the same thread that there is no interest and then go on to talk about the Kilkenny footballers that they know. Interest is tiny but it is there. The main thing is that it is not nurtured by the powers that be and that interest is diminished and lost. There is interest there and there are footballers there, as Kilkenny people in this thread have said. Time and time again what comes through is how those players are not being encouraged, even ones that can't get onto Hurling teams, and so get lost completely. We've seen Kilkenny people in this thread say how sad that is, like Bruschi said in post 240. Success would breed interest. Success doesn't meaning winning competitions, but at least winning matches or failing that, performing well in them. As little interest as there is you could be certain that if they got the support from the powers that be and as a result were able to put a run of good performances and even wins together that a few more of the good GAA people of Kilkenny would come out to watch the next time they played.

As you said yourself, the manager isn't the only problem Nevertheless, picking up the phone and ringing an available high profile manager would be a step in the right direction. It couldn't be done in isolation, so other things would have to be put in place, but if they were done it could make a difference. If there was the initiative to pick up the phone and make that call, then you can be sure that those other initiatives would be done in parallel. It would put down a marker and show something was being done.

Just imagine if the Kilkenny county board announced in the morning that Mick O'Dwyer or some other high profile manager was to take charge of the Kilkenny footballers. It would grab some attention, even in Kilkenny. Before Mick O'Dwyer Wicklow were certainly way ahead of where Kilkenny are now so I am not comparing them on that basis, but when Mick O'Dwyer went there, it created a bigger buzz and players that might not otherwise have done so, started to make a commitment. Despite the alleged "zero interest" in Football in Kilkenny, you could guarantee that there would be an unusually large turnout at a Mick O'Dwyer-led Kilkenny Football training session. A lot more players and supporters would be there, as would be the case at their first competitive fixture after that. You could be sure that they'd perform a lot better too.

What have Kilkenny to lose by trying something like that, and don't say Hurling would suffer because it certainly wouldn't? I would love to see a Kilkenny county board do something like that. They are the source of the problem that undermines football. Some of the other county boards have taken initiatives to improve their weaker game, not all but some. It would be great to see Kilkenny to do it. If anything, because they have a strong Hurling base, they could actually be at an advantage over some of the other counties trying to get their games moving. Some other counties have problems in both codes, but have tried. Kilkenny have a proven model that they can use a lot of, so in some ways they are ahead of counties like Westmeath or Wicklow or Longford and many others who traditionally were weak in both codes. Westmeath built minor teams in the 90s and began to progress, then win things and in 2004 that all reaped benefits when they won the Leinster senior championship. Westmeath got the breakthrough, but such an achievement was as crazy a thought 20 years ago as the idea of a highly competitive Kilkenny team is now. Kilkenny could do something like that, and start a project to build football. It is what they should do. Yes - before you start saying it again - other counties should be doing this kind of thing too, but as we keep having to say: this is a thread about Kilkenny Football. I'd love to see Longford, having beaten Kilkenny, play Louth, who had just beat Wexford, in a Leinster Hurling final. I would say all of that in a thread about that issue, but this is a thread about Kilkenny Football, so that is why we keep saying it about Kilkenny Football.

So come on you guys, play ball with us here, and stop talking about the problems and lack of interest that we know are in Kilkenny, and tell us what should be done to change that. Maybe you have no interest and don't want to change it... but humour us. So to those that have been giving us the excuses and debating with us about all of this: You are on the Kilkenny county board and have been given special responsibility to do something about the state of Football in the county, so what would you do? Come on now, as proud Kilkenny GAA people, for the pride of your county, you can do it; give us some actions, initiatives, not the excuses or talk of other counties and their problems. Come on now, focus: Kilkenny, Football, Solutions. The rest of the GAA world, or us at least :), awaits your response to this challenge.

adrian522 wrote: »
    There is zero interest among the sports going public. Fine there are club teams and county teams, how many people go to the matches?

Have you ever been in croke park when a football game precedes the hurling involving Kilkenny? There is no appetite for the game in Kilkenny.

I personally don't see a problem with this it seems to be only outsiders who see this as a huge problem yet they can't explain why.:confused:

Why is it so important to you that Kilkenny be competitive in Division 4?

The number of fans attending a match is not the issue. Would you pay to watch a match KNOWING your team were going to be hockeyed Every time?
    You don't have a problem with it - OK
    I don't like the fact the players who want to play football are not looked after properly by THEIR county board! They shoud be trained properly. They should have their footballing skills developed. The game that they play should be developed throughout schools - where there is already a willingness to play it. That should not be too hard for you to understand - you might not like it, but so what!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Laupelion

Seems to me that if Kilkenny were as abysmal at hurling as they are at football we wouldn't even be having this discussion. This thread has the misfortune to be afflicted by that most vile of Irish character traits, begrudgery. Funny how most of it seems to be coming from a Cork man. You should be grateful you were blessed with the divine grace of being born in a dual county and rest easy in the knowledge that although it will be in or around 10 years before you win another All Ireland in hurling, you always have a chance in the football, once you don't meet big bad Kerry.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Flukey wrote: »
    There is interest there and there are footballers there, as Kilkenny people in this thread have said.

We've seen Kilkenny people in this thread say how sad that is, like Bruschi said in post 240. Success would breed interest.

So come on you guys, play ball with us here, and stop talking about the problems and lack of interest that we know are in Kilkenny, and tell us what should be done to change that. Maybe you have no interest and don't want to change it... but humour us. So to those that have been giving us the excuses and debating with us about all of this: You are on the Kilkenny county board and have been given special responsibility to do something about the state of Football in the county, so what would you do? Come on now, as proud Kilkenny GAA people, for the pride of your county, you can do it; give us some actions, initiatives, not the excuses or talk of other counties and their problems. Come on now, focus: Kilkenny, Football, Solutions. The rest of the GAA world, or us at least :), awaits your response to this challenge.

I'm not from Kilkenny.

I know a lot of people from there, and have played football with a lot of lads from there. They are not interested in playing county football. I know lads who have played in this years league already for them, and said they were training to get fit before their club hurling training kicked off. There are few players on the panel who are soley interested in playing football for the county, a lot are just along for the games and training.

No one seems to have actually answered if they know of this interest in football in Kilkenny. Because it seems to be hinging on the fact that just because there is a county of people, then there must be a lot of them interested in football?

I'd agree with Flukeys last paragraph and points before that tho, stimulation and input from the board to try promote the game would more than likely work, and there are players who are good and would make a difference but they are just not interested in it. Its these players they should be targetting, and getting in an outside manager, with a bit of profile would help.

But at the end of it all, why would the county board bother, when the clubs themselves and the players themselves arent bothered. There arent calls within the county for it to change. In other counties, there is people who are trying to drive on the 'other' GAA sport, and keep it going, but Kilkenny doesnt have that. If they were that bothered about it, there would be change, simple thing is, they arent.

And to be honest, it doesnt bother me a bit. Why do we need one more county to be 'competetive'. And even at that, they will still be at the lower ranks of it all. What difference to the overall championship will it make? I've said its a shame they dont put the effort in, they would be decent I reckon as I know they have good players. But its hardly a disgrace, or terrible or letting the GAA down that they dont play football and prefer to play club hurling.

Laupelion wrote: »
    Seems to me that if Kilkenny were as abysmal at hurling as they are at football we wouldn't even be having this discussion. This thread has the misfortune to be afflicted by that most vile of Irish character traits, begrudgery. Funny how most of it seems to be coming from a Cork man. You should be grateful you were blessed with the divine grace of being born in a dual county and rest easy in the knowledge that although it will be in or around 10 years before you win another All Ireland in hurling, you always have a chance in the football, once you don't meet big bad Kerry.

I think you will find that no one, and that is including myself and the Cork posters are begrudging your hurling team anything, but rather willing your football team to be a little more then the team that gets a hiding every Sunday.
    Take your paranoia to the conspiracy theories thread.

I also highlighted the last sentence as a matter of interest. You seem to be well up on the football for a man from Kilkenny, where apparently they have no interest whatsoever. :)

Laupelion wrote: »

Laupelion.....please re-read tipp_Gunners post;)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭halfforward

http://www.kilkennygaa.ie/fixtures?countyBoardID=15&daysPrevious=7

see how little intetest there is in football in kilkenny. But this lack of fulfilling fixtures is disgraceful

so there were about 15 football games in kk last week, 15 times 30 = 450
    meaning 450 people played football in kk last week.

I know some of the teams might have played twice or whatever but people are playing football every week in kk, more would I'm sure if there was a county board that did their job properly but anyway..... this thread has ran it's course I feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭halfforward

14 games with about 11 walkovers awarded

Advertisement