Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny Football - ??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    SO WHAT ????? Do you not think people can play 2 sports well?????????? If they need help to improve ( which they do ) why not DEVELOP FOOTBALL IN THE COUNTY??? Enter County Board (or not as is the case!)

In baby language, for you to understand : improve coaching, promotion and playing of football in the couny so that you can compete against other teams? ;)

See my previous post.

By the way, I see the last line of your post is a word for word replica of Eroo's last reply right down to the misspelling "couny". Am I right to be suspicious?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Martin567 wrote: »
    The problem remains though that there are no football areas in Kilkenny. Every other inter-county football team is backboned by players from the football clubs. Dual players are rare. Whatever team Kilkenny might play, they would remain a team of hurlers playing football. Talk of coaching & promotion is fine but without a natural base it would still be very difficult. No other county has this problem so your advice is not that simple. Will a bunch of players put in the effort knowing that a 20 point improvement on the current team would still mean you were going to lose by 10 points every match? Creating a football area would bring us back to the issue of forcing people so that's out too.

By the way, if you really don't know, a WUM is a Wind Up Merchant. I think we may leave it at that as I can't see us agreeing. I certainly don't intend to be stand offish, it's simply frustration at what I see as the completely unjustified criticism aimed at Kilkenny from a number of posters, many of whom make no effort to understand Kilkenny's position. Some of the posts in the early part of this thread, not yours, are "misguided" to put it very mildly and talk of sanctions will annoy any Kilkenny person as it is both inconsistent and unfair.

I fully agree that it is very difficult to develop the game without a solid base already there.. but you have to start from scratch then. It is possible if CB set out a 10-15 year plan to promote and establish football in Kilkenny. Again, there would be no forcing involved, it wouldn't work anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Given that hurling is by far the more skilfull, more complex etc of the two there is no reason why KK should not be competitive, even if it is at the lowest level, afterall every county is competitive ( at some level) in both codes aren't they? Except Kk footballers of course;)
    I cannot fathom why??????????????

They wont tog out for the county.

No one from the 2010 county final on this years panel.

There are guys on the Kilkenny football panel who wouldn't make the first 15 in their club team.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

See my previous post.

By the way, I see the last line of your post is a word for word replica of Eroo's last reply right down to the misspelling "couny". Am I right to be suspicious?
    ;)
    lol, I was going to correct it, but thought it would be more fun if I didn't;) ( gotta love copy and paste!)

re: state of the kk IC football team - see my previous post;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

They wont tog out for the county.

No one from the 2010 county final on this years panel.

There are guys on the Kilkenny football panel who wouldn't make the first 15 in their club team.

That's very interesting. They obviously like football and put in some effort as they got to the final. Why are they not inclined to tog out for their county? Why be happy to play for your club but not your county? :confused:

• Advertisement

That's very interesting. They obviously like football and put in some effort as they got to the final. Why are they not inclined to tog out for their county? Why be happy to play for your club but not your county? :confused:

haven't a clue

Senior football league starts tomorrow

Railyard V Thomastown
    Muckalee V Dicksboro
    Erins own V Kilmogany
    Glenmore V Mooncoin

March seems to be football season :D

http://www.kilkennygaa.ie/fixtures?countyBoardID=15&daysAfter=10&nosort=1

haven't a clue

Senior football league starts tomorrow

Railyard V Thomastown
    Muckalee V Dicksboro
    Erins own V Kilmogany
    Glenmore V Mooncoin

March seems to be football season :D

http://www.kilkennygaa.ie/fixtures?countyBoardID=15&daysAfter=10&nosort=1

I hope some of them, at the very least, will be competitive;)

I hope some of them, at the very least, will be competitive;)

Thomastown gave a walkover :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

just reading through here guys and tbh those calling for equal amounts of funding to be dished out between football and hurling is silly at best..

the kildare hurlers for example are average god i love my county colours believe me or lack of them lol but i would follow the jersey no matter what but the pull on football to hurling in kildare is huge.

few big hurling clubs like ardclough, clane, celbridge, naas and maybe eire og but football rules here and to distribute half kildares funding to hurling would be a waste tbh as it would be in kilkenny.

and before someone says cork or dublin field both good teams look at the population in those counties???

just my opinion but i say fair play to kilkenny footballers they are taking it up the nether regions and turning up wearing jersey with pride.....

titsmahgee wrote: »
    I remember one the lads who was on the Kilkenny football panel telling me about the time they went over to London to play a league match and half the team where out drinking in London the night before. I think it was two years ago.

I heard that exact same story. Half of them were in bed by 10 and the other half got pissed. A girl i used go out with, her brother plays for them and he is one of the good guys who trains hard and tries his best but has to endure a miserable county board and a few who wont even try at least to go down with a fight.

there was a similar argument on Premierview recently and a few KK posters are adamant that they are promoting the game. We were fed lines like "Why dont monaghan dont promote hurling so?", "Handball titles", "We have football for all ages", pretty much same sh*te as on here. Even Nicky Brennan has condemned their attitude towards the game on his column but we are all WUMS of course for daring to suggest there is a problem with Kilkenny football when they will be ready for Kerry in September:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

That's the bloody point fella !!!!! It wouldn't be hard !!!! They should be encouraged.... I wonder who could do that.... certainly not the county board:rolleyes:

Ay sure didnt DJ Carey have aspirations of playing both codes for his county until he was told by the Gowran headmaster "You'd be better sticking with the hurling DJ" :D

My ex's brother was called up to an u21 hurling panel some years back and when he pledged to juggle between the two codes, the selector who gave him the call was very disgruntled at the other end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

For those going on about the underage levels of football. I was a Kilkenny underage footballer and the attitude was absolutely pathetic. I moved to Kilkenny from Wicklow and played a big role for one of Wicklows better under-age clubs. Moved to Kilkenny and the attitude when my club were knocked out of the Championship was "Right lads, hurling training next week". This is the same at other clubs that I'd know people from and that's including the clubs that would have won the Championship.

Now, for instance, my parish doesn't have a senior football team, which means I've to travel to Tipp if I want to play football. I used to love the game but the attitude towards it when I moved down here put me off it completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Annuv

andyman wrote: »
    For those going on about the underage levels of football. I was a Kilkenny underage footballer and the attitude was absolutely pathetic. I moved to Kilkenny from Wicklow and played a big role for one of Wicklows better under-age clubs. Moved to Kilkenny and the attitude when my club were knocked out of the Championship was "Right lads, hurling training next week". This is the same at other clubs that I'd know people from and that's including the clubs that would have won the Championship.

Now, for instance, my parish doesn't have a senior football team, which means I've to travel to Tipp if I want to play football. I used to love the game but the attitude towards it when I moved down here put me off it completely.

This is the point, it is the general attitute of people in KK. It's not the county boards fault, in general the interest is just not there. I have played for Kilkenny underage in football, and even then I always saw it as something to do when there was no hurling or to keep sharp.

My own club won the county final last year and I know for most of the players they played just to keep sharp, of course it was taken more seriosuly when they got to the final.

Kilkenny people love hurling, the majority don't love football. That's it. From an early age they want to win hurling All-Ireland finals not football. The game is given as much chance as hurling in other counties where football dominates but the interest just is not there. This is why we see walkovers been given with regularity

There is a whole load of people from outside KK posting in this thread as if they have intricate knowledge of how football is managed in KK where the funding goes etc, can posters back up these assertions with some figures because I have no idea how much is spent on promoting football in Kilkenny? If hurling was as bad in KK as football is, no one would give a sh|te.

Ay sure didnt DJ Carey have aspirations of playing both codes for his county until he was told by the Gowran headmaster "You'd be better sticking with the hurling DJ" :D

My ex's brother was called up to an u21 hurling panel some years back and when he pledged to juggle between the two codes, the selector who gave him the call was very disgruntled at the other end.

That's a fair point about if you are good enough to play intercounty hurling with KK - you are told to drop football. But how many players is that ??? Think of all the hurlers in kk who will never represent their county in hurling - because the standard is so high. Some of them play football - as you mentioned DJ and you ex's brother were good enough - but the ones that aren't could represent their county in football - if it was taken seriously by the county board. If the county board took football seriously then the clubs would take it more seriously.
    I don't think a county board should give Equal funding to football and hurling -pointless where a county is as one sided as kk. BUT there should be a percentage ( 15 or 20 for eg.) that is a minimum for any county that has to be spent on the 'other' code- I'm sure if they had to pour a minimum % in then it would be an instant help in the development of that code in the county.
    As is evident, their are enough footballers in kk some take it more seriously than others. For the ones that take it seriously - it's a pity for them, that they are from kk.

That's a fair point about if you are good enough to play intercounty hurling with KK - you are told to drop football. But how many players is that ??? Think of all the hurlers in kk who will never represent their county in hurling - because the standard is so high. Some of them play football - as you mentioned DJ and you ex's brother were good enough - but the ones that aren't could represent their county in football - if it was taken seriously by the county board. If the county board took football seriously then the clubs would take it more seriously.
    I don't think a county board should give Equal funding to football and hurling -pointless where a county is as one sided as kk. BUT there should be a percentage ( 15 or 20 for eg.) that is a minimum for any county that has to be spent on the 'other' code- I'm sure if they had to pour a minimum % in then it would be an instant help in the development of that code in the county.
    As is evident, their are enough footballers in kk some take it more seriously than others. For the ones that take it seriously - it's a pity for them, that they are from kk.

Exactly. i find it very very hard to imagine there being no interest whatsoever in the game.
    No incentive perhaps, because i mean why would the likes of Boxing (Darren O'Neill) , Snooker (David Morris), Athletics (Joanne Cuddihy), Rugby (Ian Dowling), Soccer (Michael Reddy) have interest in their respective disciplines only their participants were well looked after by the respective bodies who promote these games, and that's the bottom line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Leinster U21 Football Championship score from tonight: Carlow 8-19 Kilkenny 1-01

Daysha wrote: »
    Leinster U21 Football Championship score from tonight: Carlow 8-19 Kilkenny 1-01

Jesus why do they even let them in the championship? :confused:

And the county board will still continue to show utter contempt for the sport and have no thought for the lads turning out for them as they are humiliated into oblivion. Something has to be done they cant keep leaving matches like this go on.

at least they scored :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

"But But but we don't care about football like......."

Of course ye don't - what young lad aspires to be on a team getting beaten by the giants of Carlow. Disgrace of a county.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Wow if it was Cork, Kerry or Dublin rather then Carlow I say something, but thats hiding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

That is shocking.

flahavaj wrote: »
    "But But but we don't care about football like......."

Of course ye don't - what young lad aspires to be on a team getting beaten by the giants of Carlow. Disgrace of a county.

Terrible scoreline but let's see Louth, Longford, Wicklow, etc, U21s playing in the Leinster U21 Hurling Championship. You would see plenty of similar scorelines. Would these then be described as being "disgraceful counties"? Of course not because that is different for some mysterious reason.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Jesus why do they even let them in the championship? :confused:

And the county board will still continue to show utter contempt for the sport and have no thought for the lads turning out for them as they are humiliated into oblivion. Something has to be done they cant keep leaving matches like this go on.

Long may you be confused.

It's not a case of being allowed in but rather being pressured to enter a team when there is little or no point in entering one.

If it was up to the KKCB no team would be entered and I would agree with that, does no-one any favours to go out and get hammered like that every week, but fair play to the guys who turned out for the county even though they knew they were in for a hiding.

btw to the guy with the "Disgrace of a county" comment, I won't even give that the dignity of a response.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Long may you be confused.

It's not a case of being allowed in but rather being pressured to enter a team when there is little or no point in entering one.

If it was up to the KKCB no team would be entered and I would agree with that, does no-one any favours to go out and get hammered like that every week, but fair play to the guys who turned out for the county even though they knew they were in for a hiding.

btw to the guy with the "Disgrace of a county" comment, I won't even give that the dignity of a response.

I dunno, perhaps there should be a div 5 created for the demographically non football areas.

I dunno, perhaps there should be a div 5 created for the demographically non football areas.

Great idea! Now what other teams would you have in this Div 5?

Great idea! Now what other teams would you have in this Div 5?

I suppose Waterford city, North Tipp, or basically pick from clubs with poor football teams or even merge clubs along the border counties, supposing its mix and match its all for the good of the sport in weaker areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

I suppose Waterford city, North Tipp, or basically pick from clubs with poor football teams or even merge clubs along the border counties, supposing its mix and match its all for the good of the sport in weaker areas.
    Waterford and Tipp already have football teams.If there are good players from weaker areas in the county, surely they'd be on the county panel anyway.Basically Kilkenny dont give a damn about football.Thats their own choice.Creating a div.5 just because theyre so bad sounds ridiculous.I have no love of football myself, but the scorelines against them suggest its time to stop humiliating themselves.At least they've decent hurlers. Some counties are woeful in both codes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    Waterford and Tipp already have football teams.If there are good players from weaker areas in the county, surely they'd be on the county panel anyway.Basically Kilkenny dont give a damn about football.Thats their own choice.Creating a div.5 just because theyre so bad sounds ridiculous.I have no love of football myself, but the scorelines against them suggest its time to stop humiliating themselves.At least they've decent hurlers. Some counties are woeful in both codes.

works OK for South Down, fingal etc.

If players are good enough they can still play for the county team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

adrian522 wrote: »
    works OK for South Down, fingal etc.

If players are good enough they can still play for the county team.
    Maybe so. But theres such an abyss between Kilkenny and the rest in Div.4. Most of the other teams are fairly even enough.Then you have Kilkenny shipping obscene scorelines. Surely they dont deserve a "Division" just because they are chronic.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

I'd say the Carlow keeper will be dropped..........

Advertisement