Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Have PM'd you.

Would you mind sending me a pm too? Would hate to support any rescue whos doing that kind of crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

tk123 wrote: »
    We get loads out of the river! I used to give them to the other dogs in the park to play with/chomp on but have started collecting them to drop into a rescue near us once we have a good amount! :)

Thats a fantastic idea tk fair play to you.!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Would you mind sending me a pm too? Would hate to support any rescue whos doing that kind of crap!

Done

Had a crap day. Was out walking and found a half dead dog, completely emaciated, skin off his face, bone exposed on his face as well as both hip bones. So friendly, not a bother picking his up, no aggression whatsoever. Vet couldnt do anything so we had his PTS. Never done that before with a dog, it was heartbreaking. Run free gorgeous boy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Done

Had a crap day. Was out walking and found a half dead dog, completely emaciated, skin off his face, bone exposed on his face as well as both hip bones. So friendly, not a bother picking his up, no aggression whatsoever. Vet couldnt do anything so we had his PTS. Never done that before with a dog, it was heartbreaking. Run free gorgeous boy :(

God, that is a traumatic thing for you to encounter; however, the other side is at least you found him and you where able to help put an end to his pain and sufferring.

Look after yourself tonight; you are right you really did have a crap day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Done

Wow can't imagine how I would have coped in that situation. You did the right thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Out for a walk soon, nice dark mornin!!

I start my placement in the morning but my sleeping pattern is atrocious! Thank god it's my small animal placement. Nothing worse than being really groggy/tired and facing into a wild bunch of bullocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

How did it go sillymango? Were you too tired to enjoy yourself?

I have a bit of trouble with Harley, he's quite highly strung and it doesn't take a lot to worry him. He walks wonderfully in familiar areas but as soon as anything out of the ordinary happens he starts to pull, thankfully we have the harness so he can't go anywhere.

I've been working on it by bringing him for short walks, in the same area 4-5 times a day. Sometimes with Phoe, sometimes without. He's doing very well, we can now pass the place where the lorrys park with no panic and while he'll look at other dogs on leads now, he doesn't keep trying (as hard) to go to say hello.

I got a bit of a fright yesterday though. One part of our walk brings us down the side of a small housing estate, it's lined both sides with a hedge and is narrow. While walking yesterday we bumped in a local man. I don't know if there is something wrong with him mentally but he is excessively friendly, you know, hugging people he doesn't know, trying to walk you home (men and women). He's elderly and uses a frame to help with walking and he is not very sure on his feet at all. On a few occasions myself or my husband have helped him back to his feet.

Anyway, he was walking towards us with his frame on this narrow path, I put both dogs onto the other side of me to make sure they wouldn't get under his feet. When I looked up, he had stopped in the middle of the path, had his gloves off and was trying to lower himself to say hello.

I could see Harley thinking "uh oh DANGER" and Phoe thinking "Oh look a lovely man for me to jump up on". No matter how much I called ahead "they will try to jump on you, please do not try to rub them" He kept shouting "I want to say hello I want to sat hello". I couldn't get past without moving his frame which he was leaning on. I stopped and said "Please let us pass, they are too nervous for you to say hello right now, maybe next time". He just wouldn't move. He wanted to say hello. So I had to turn back and cut through the hedge onto the road to pass him. I feel bad being so annoyed, because I know he thinks he was being friendly. :(

Getting on great so far, so many lovely doggies :D I know where your coming from about that old man, some people just don't understand not all dogs are up for greetings by strangers, though in our case it's usually children. He's probably just lonely and too frail to keep dogs himself. My mum works in a psychiatric home for elderly patients and they always love when a family member visits with a dog!

Getting on great so far, so many lovely doggies :D I know where your coming from about that old man, some people just don't understand not all dogs are up for greetings by strangers, though in our case it's usually children. He's probably just lonely and too frail to keep dogs himself. My mum works in a psychiatric home for elderly patients and they always love when a family member visits with a dog!

That's great! Glad you're enjoying it.

Yeah he might be lonely, he does a lot of walking which is great and we do stop and chat, just with the dogs I can't. :(

I got an application form to visit psychiatric homes with Phoe, he has a perfect temperament and with a bit of training (he jumps a bit, usually on me for reassurance) he'd be perfect. Absolutely perfect for it. Unfortunately as he is a restricted breed he wouldn't be accepted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Oh we had run in in the park with a walking frame before Christmas - Bailey gave one bark at it and they were very annoyed with us! Said sorry etc but they were still annoyed.. He has me stressed out barking at people - my friend says its normal and what dogs do but I don't like him doing it! He can be very hard to catch if he's off lead and does it! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Oh we had run in in the park with a walking frame before Christmas - Bailey gave one bark at it and they were very annoyed with us! Said sorry etc but they were still annoyed.. He has me stressed out barking at people - my friend says its normal and what dogs do but I don't like him doing it! He can be very hard to catch if he's off lead and does it! :(

I know what ya mean, we let Effie out onto the balcony for some air in the evening. There is a glass barrier with enough room for her to stick her nose out at the bottom.

There's like an alley that people cut thourgh beside us and she goes mental barking at them. I call her in and but she never listens and continues barking!!

I know it's in her nature but I wish she'd stop, at least when I call her in :(

It's hard to know what to do isn't it. On one hand you'd think - come on they're walking in a park, do they expect to have no interaction around them what so ever and on the other hand you can understand. I think it's harder when you have a bigger dog like Bailey because people might be a bit more nervous, or take more notice of what he's doing.
    I know what ya mean, we let Effie out onto the balcony for some air in the evening. There is a glass barrier with enough room for her to stick her nose out at the bottom.

There's like an alley that people cut thourgh beside us and she goes mental barking at them. I call her in and but she never listens and continues barking!!

I know it's in her nature but I wish she'd stop, at least when I call her in :(

What does she do if you squeak a toy. It used to be about the only thing that worked with Harley when his attention was elsewhere.

Ha I'm tidying up my bedroom at the moment and a bluebottle came in the open window. I muttered under my breath "stupid noisy fly" and was answered by "MIAAAAAOW" and thunderpaws as Miller ran in, across the bed, onto the windowsill (bay window) and landed paws on the fly. Perfect timing. He's like a little feline superhero!

Whispered wrote: »
    I think it's harder when you have a bigger dog like Bailey because people might be a bit more nervous, or take more notice of what he's doing.

This is exactly it - myself and my friend were barked at by a small dog this morning - ran up to us going ballistic barking and growling at us and we laughed it off - the owner didn't even turn back or call it! If that had of been Bailey I would have been falling over myself to apologise! It starting growling and barking at Bailey then when I put him on his lead as we passed the gate..he wasn't as brave when I let big boy off again and ran away from us! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

What does she do if you squeak a toy. It used to be about the only thing that worked with Harley when his attention was elsewhere.

Oh they get her attention alright... when they are chewed to bits :o

We got her a set of four for xmas, two of them didn't last the day...

Oh they get her attention alright... when they are chewed to bits :o

We got her a set of four for xmas, two of them didn't last the day...

:D Well I have that one figured out! If there is a Mr price or Dealz near you (that I know of there is one in Naas, Carlow, Blanchardstown) they do double packs of squeaky toys for 1.50, they're small but for that price you don't mind them being destroyed. Also if you're anywhere the pet warehouse just off the M9 they do squeaky toys for a euro each, they did last time I was there anyway. I bought 10 euro worth at the start of Dec and just cleaned the last bit up of the last toy this morning. They seemed to last ages for some reason.

We also have a little squeaky ball thing that Harley only ever gets for a few mins at a time. So he loves it and it gets his attention where everything else fails.

So lucky with Phoe, a gentle little call and he stops whatever he's doing and runs to me. The difference in them is huge! Phoe loves me, Harley loves to do the opposite to what I want. :D

I went to give blood today for the first time - they give you a little nylabone to squeeze lol! :D

I went to give blood today for the first time

You're so brave! I hate needles. I had to learn how to administer an insulin shot to a dog and I spent the first while injecting an orange and feeling faint. :o

You're so brave! I hate needles. I had to learn how to administer an insulin shot to a dog and I spent the first while injecting an orange and feeling faint. :o

LOL! Yeah yeah my mum was nearly fainting when I told her I went lol! It was fine...feeling a bit tired now but bold face Bailey is at daycare so won't need a walk later. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I'm the same, I go weak when I have to get a needle. Many many moons ago in the last century I got my belly button pierced, I passed out there and a few hours later when I went back to work and looked at it:o

Just got some great value in my local pet shop, their christmas toys were 50% and 70% off, got some latex squeaky balls and a rope ball for €1.50 each. Squeakers won't last long but the rope should.

• Advertisement

Do they take a lot TK123?
    I'm the same, I go weak when I have to get a needle. Many many moons ago in the last century I got my belly button pierced, I passed out there and a few hours later when I went back to work and looked at it:o

Oh god that is bad, fainting looking at it later. Did you keep it in?

I got my bellybutton done in a little back street place (georges st arcade in dublin). I had to hold the clamp and she did it with a gun. I vaguely remember my cousin carrying me out and 2 fellas buying me a can of coke. I was worse with my nose, the guy who did it was lovely but I'm sure he :rolleyes:

No more piercings for me! Thinking of a tattoo but I'm not sure I'd cope.

That's a great price for latex toys, what pet shop is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

All the Petstop branches have 50% off their xmas stock still.

I got my bellybutton done in a little back street place (georges st arcade in dublin). I had to hold the clamp and she did it with a gun. I vaguely remember my cousin carrying me out and 2 fellas buying me a can of coke. I was worse with my nose, the guy who did it was lovely but I'm sure he :rolleyes:

I find tattoos completely different to piercings, piercings are short and very painful giving you a big adrenaline rush which makes people feel faint, where as with tattoos you don't see the needle and its more of a sharp dragging feeling, like scratching sunburn. I much prefer tattoo pain to piercing pain! I have loads of piercings and 3 tattoos and I would get a tattoo a million times over before I'd get a piercing again, especially having ears stretched or nose piercings, those really hurt! Oh now I want a new tattoo :P Well done TK on giving blood, I would love to do it but can't because of anaemia :(

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

I fainted in the vet when i collected nala after her getting spayed and the vet was talking about how many stitches she got! Would never be able to give blood

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Equipet in Drogheda. Branches in Ashbourne and Navan as well. A few different toys left and got a lovely plain black horseware bodywarmer for himself for only €17.50. A couple of colours of hunter wellies reduced to half price at €45 but only sizes 4 and 7 left. I find it so difficult to get any wellies to fit cos I'm a half size. Or wear 3 pairs of socks!

I got the piercing when I was about 26 and took it out when I was 30. Got bored with it, and sure these days I barely wear earrings, the odd night out or weddings etc.

I could never get a tattoo, I hyperventilated and became hysterical the last time I went to the dentist, I don't think I could willingly have a needle prick my skin thousands of times just to get a picture on my skin that I would probably get bored of, just like the piercing!

They take 470ml and feed you up after with as much tayto and biscuits as you want as well as a drink and even sandwich if you want one! I thought they'd give me a donor card when I was there so never asked my blood type! :( I had a thyroid prob a few years ago so am well used to getting blood tests and I had to get a biopsy at one stage - after I had that needle in my neck I decided I could handle anything lol! :). I wasn't able to donate when I was on thyroid medicine and for 2 years after so when a friend posted on FB that there was a shortage I decided to donate - i'm cured 3.5 years and medicine free :D I though I'd be squeamish when Bailey had his dressings and stricthes removed after his operations but no probs thank god - and it looked gross at first!

I though I'd be squeamish when Bailey had his dressings and stricthes removed after his operations but no probs thank god - and it looked gross at first!

It's funny, I see surgeries and wounds etc nearly every day and never get a bit squeamish, but when I saw my mom's surgical wounds I was completely grossed out even though they were only tiny little ones from keyhole surgery! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I used to always have lemon squash after giving blood, wouldn't drink it any other time, but thats always what I wanted after donating!

Give a bird a treat and he'll eat quietly for an hour. Give a bird and toy and he'll invent his own misappropriated hours of use for it :mad:

A perch that has come loose on one end is in use as a budgie trampoline. I bought them a swing with some bells on the bottom, they wont swing ON the swing, only from it, hanging onto the bells. Also swinging from their small mirror while trying to grab at the rings. But the stainless steel mirrors are coming out of the cage if the last few days misuse continues, they're just pulling on the chains to yank them and cause them to clatter loudly against the bars. At least they're mostly leaving Yellow out of the fun and games, though all three have chewed up ends on their tails!

• Advertisement

where as with tattoos you don't see the needle and its more of a sharp dragging feeling, like scratching sunburn. I much prefer tattoo pain to piercing pain! I have loads of piercings and 3 tattoos and I would get a tattoo a million times over before I'd get a piercing again,

Oh thanks! That's great to know. :)
    I could never get a tattoo, I hyperventilated and became hysterical the last time I went to the dentist, I don't think I could willingly have a needle prick my skin thousands of times just to get a picture on my skin that I would probably get bored of, just like the piercing!

God you sound a lot worse than I am, having blood taken is difficult for me but I had to have loads of tests and injections there a while ago and I seem to be a bit better. You poor thing getting hysterical.
    Give a bird a treat and he'll eat quietly for an hour. Give a bird and toy and he'll invent his own misappropriated hours of use for it :mad:

Your posts make me want a budgie. Stop it! :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement