Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Good idea with the squeaky toy, will have to try it! My guy is the same as Millie - as soon as he senses the lead is going to put back on he suddenly goes deaf and runs off!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The cats seem to have adapted very well to their new "apartment" that we built by putting a roof on the side passage. They spend a load of their day out in it now - particularly when there's a bit of sun because the area then gets really warm. I also put a chair with some cushions out in it, along with some boxes as beds and their litter trays.
    We're fixing a glasshouse onto the back of it next week and they'll have their very own conservatory!
    I'll attach some pictures later.

One major problem though - the smell. It absolutely stinks in the passage when I go out to clean their trays. They have two covered trays but the smell really is very strong.
    They don't appear to be spraying and it doesn't seem to be coming from the trays - it just seems to be a "catty" smell.
    Any ideas what I can do to minimise it? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Good idea with the squeaky toy, will have to try it! My guy is the same as Millie - as soon as he senses the lead is going to put back on he suddenly goes deaf and runs off!

:P That used to happen with our last dog. Millie likes to turn it into a game. She'll come right over to you and then bolt when you stick out your hand to get her collar. She'll come back again, rinse and repeat :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Our dog doesn't like to be put back on the lead after a run around, but we always have to catch her if there's small kids or anything coming along as she is a bit too friendly and would probably barrel into them :D Call her over, and the second she sees the lead she's just like, nope! and runs the opposite direction, She'll come back no bother if she doesn't see the lead. My uncle just says 'Right so I'm going home' and starts to walk away and she'll just dive up after him as if saying 'oh no daddy please please don't go without me' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

If your dog runs to you then runs away when you go to grab the collar you can improve your recall a bit. Make sure your dog never knows when he's going back on the lead by recalling, treating and sending off to play again. I'd also suggest that each time you recall you touch the dogs collar while handing him a treat with the other hand. Then touching the collar just becomes part of the recall cue and not a signal to the dog that he's going back on the lead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Ah it's not fair I want a holiday! Tbh a lie in would do lol!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

So just 3 weeks after I rehomed the last 2 kittens that were dropped into me, another has moved in....
    I know I said no more...but she was in an awful state, feral, attacked by tom cats and skin and bones.
    After worming and a trip to vets (antib's for abscess on back and leg where bitten) and some food and water, she's purring on my shoulder!
    Feral kitten to purr machine in less than 48hrs.
    Did I mention she is blue/grey and fluffy? Mane like a little lion?

This one is gonna be hard to part with.....2 offers of homes already from friends in UK, just need to persuade daughter (and myself).:(

This is why I don't foster animals....I would need a bigger house!

Whispered wrote: »
    If your dog runs to you then runs away when you go to grab the collar you can improve your recall a bit. Make sure your dog never knows when he's going back on the lead by recalling, treating and sending off to play again. I'd also suggest that each time you recall you touch the dogs collar while handing him a treat with the other hand. Then touching the collar just becomes part of the recall cue and not a signal to the dog that he's going back on the lead.

My problem is Millie has no interest in treats when she is outside :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Currently trying to whistle train Lola. Going well.

I was shopping today and saw a nice wool dress in tesco for cheap, so I picked it up to wear tonight while out for dinner with the parents. When we came home, Peach sat on my lap as per usual, and she decided she likes the dress too and started intensively grooming it :rolleyes: Wool hairballs anyone? :P

• Advertisement

Lol my cat (rip :() used to make a nest for himself in my body warmer!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

tk123 wrote: »

Visited my niece the other day, brought a few things I had got her in a regular enough fabric recycling bag - left the bag on the floor in the hall and came back to find her yorkie had made a bed in it! Such an opportunist!

tk123 wrote: »

Visited my niece the other day, brought a few things I had got her in a regular enough fabric recycling bag - left the bag on the floor in the hall and came back to find her yorkie had made a bed in it! Such an opportunist!

When the cat was a kitten he made a nest in my waterproof bottoms .. Couple of days later arrived at work after a drive in the rain with a cold wet bum! Lol :p

Cream makes nests in my pants... when I'm still wearing them! When on the toilet he comes up and sits on my lap :rolleyes: then he slides down the leg of the pants and nests around my ankles! He's the most awkward little pervert in the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Cream makes nests in my pants... when I'm still wearing them! When on the toilet he comes up and sits on my lap :rolleyes: then he slides down the leg of the pants and nests around my ankles! He's the most awkward little pervert in the world!

That's a little disturbing!

Seen a 3month version of Lexi today. Black staff, white chest and even had a red collar like her. Such a cute pup.

Am sooooo nervous about the match tomorrow, my nerves can't take the stress!

There's oil/diesel/petrol/some kind of fuel draining into the river since Wednesday - no swimming for the dogs! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Tillygirl, I can't believe how mad it is around here for the match. O'Hara's bread changed their wrapper to red and green, I thought it was lovely, they've changed it back now, don't know if thats a sign of what they think the result is going to be? My son's school is closed on Monday - and its in Sligo! I'm not impressed.

Love this cold weather, had 2 dogs out for a scooter this morning, about to head back to the beach now with another 2 :)

ISDW wrote: »
    Tillygirl, I can't believe how mad it is around here for the match. O'Hara's bread changed their wrapper to red and green, I thought it was lovely, they've changed it back now, don't know if thats a sign of what they think the result is going to be? My son's school is closed on Monday - and its in Sligo! I'm not impressed.

Love this cold weather, had 2 dogs out for a scooter this morning, about to head back to the beach now with another 2 :)

Heehee - I live near Croker so our area gets invaded by the fans on match days. Lots of the fans would be in or bedside the park with their flasks and sambos - little do they know the flower beds spell 'up the Dubs' lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I know its madness there is such hype this yr, loving the oharas bread wrapper. they have their truck done as well I seen it last week when I was home.

That's not really on closing the school in sligo. not a sight of a ticket its so annoying. have been to most of the matches this year as well. :-(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

ISDW wrote: »
    O'Hara's bread changed their wrapper to red and green, I thought it was lovely, they've changed it back now, don't know if thats a sign of what they think the result is going to be?

donegalslagging-580x870.jpg

:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

A friend of mine in Donegal had his rig decorated in yellow and green, flags on it as well, then he hurt his back earlier in the week, can barely move, so no chance of mushing at all, he was gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I'm minding a couple of Donegal dogs for the weekend while their owners go to the match so I'll have to support them I suppose:D

My dads from Donegal and just got his ticket tonight. He was there in '92 and will be there tomorrow. Me and Millie will be watching at home :) Will try and get her into a jersey but I can't see it going too well :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Get her a T-Shirt! We have customised bandannas for our dog (Rebel Dog) which always raise a smile when he goes out in it. Only for the GAA though!

We also have a customised dog T-shirts (Again Rebel Dog!) and another green one (Good Irish Boy) for Paddy's Day. He even has a collar and lead set with the colours of the Irish flag specially for Paddy's Day!

Do you think we're a bit sad?:D

Get her a T-Shirt! We have customised bandannas for our dog (Rebel Dog) which always raise a smile when he goes out in it. Only for the GAA though!

We also have a customised dog T-shirts (Again Rebel Dog!) and another green one (Good Irish Boy) for Paddy's Day. He even has a collar and lead set with the colours of the Irish flag specially for Paddy's Day!

Do you think we're a bit sad?:D

My friend is from Cork and their dog (a red setter) is called Rebel lol! Himself and my dog have Julius K9 harnesses with name patches on them :pac:

Understandably so, all of the Donegal jerseys in the house are in use. So this is the best we could do :P

20120923130347.jpg

^ :D lol my mum made a Dublin bandana last year for my guy - now we have NO interest in sport/GAA but living close to Croker all the fans pass by, park along the roads, are in the park etc. Well the shocked looks from the other crowd at him when we were out for a walk were priceless - especially when Dublin won and we went for a victory walk! :p. I plan on getting an 'up the dubs' patch for his harness to annoy everyone some time when Dublin are playing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

:D One of my boys came from a rescue and a lady at the rescue has made a video to showcase the work they do.

It's a lot of pics with music in the background. I'm sitting here crying like a fool. The slide, with the caption "Happy endings" has a picture of my two boys with their ball. I'm so proud of them. :rolleyes:

Sad I know.

• Advertisement

Whispered wrote: »
    :D One of my boys came from a rescue and a lady at the rescue has made a video to showcase the work they do.

It's a lot of pics with music in the background. I'm sitting here crying like a fool. The slide, with the caption "Happy endings" has a picture of my two boys with their ball. I'm so proud of them. :rolleyes:

Sad I know.

Can we see the video? :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement