Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I think it'd be against the charter as it's a rescue organisation. But I can show you the pic :D

376208_344612755614784_382224350_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Started letting the kitten loose yesterday, been keeping her in a crate until she was stronger and less wobbly, she's gone from 260g to 700g in two weeks!
    This morning she managed to attack and subdue my 11kg dog Oliver, rolled him and was sitting on his neck, biting his throat!
    Was very funny he was delighted at the game and she was looking very proud of her achievement!
    Although he did get up and roll her and push her around the floor on the end of his nose in revenge:D

Need to keep the camera on standby, a vid of that would have been epic!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Anyone know how to get paint off a dog? :p

Millie decided she wanted to help paint the other day. Only now realise that she has a couple of blotches on her cheek, head and even under her ear :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Going to bath Lola soon. Just wondering, I do her in our bath and clean it afterwards.

Whats your cleaning method? :)

Bath cleaning method....

Cif and elbow grease!

Doing my two today too, will need to scrub bath, tiles and floor when done.

Dog cleaning method...
    Always do the two at once or one will hide, try and keep them in the bath, baby shampoo diluted in warm water, and if your dog has long hair, brush before bath!

gavmcg92, long or short hair, gloss or emulsion?
    Emulsion washes out, help it along with a comb, Gloss no so easy, if long haired you can trim discretely, short hair is more difficult and unless you are a scissor expert, let it grow out! (I speak from experience)

I once had a cat fall in a bucket of paint...that was a fun bath day:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Dunny wrote: »
    Going to bath Lola soon. Just wondering, I do her in our bath and clean it afterwards.

Whats your cleaning method? :)

His hydro session is my method lol! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

mymo wrote: »

gavmcg92, long or short hair, gloss or emulsion?
    Emulsion washes out, help it along with a comb, Gloss no so easy, if long haired you can trim discretely, short hair is more difficult and unless you are a scissor expert, let it grow out! (I speak from experience)

I once had a cat fall in a bucket of paint...that was a fun bath day:o

lol

you can see a picture of Millie on match day above :P

Not sure what the paint was ... I'm not the one doing the painting. I'll try and find out. All the blotches are on the short hair by he face. It's fading a bit so I'll wait and see.

As for the bathing method. Put millie in the bath and hold her down :P She gets a good laugh at trying to jump out. Have a jug, fill it up with lukewarm water and pour it over her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

oooh Thunder and ow my ears.... from the dog barking beside me not the thunder itself :rolleyes: Glad we got our run in the woods done early today :)

I wash Mop in the old baby bath, it's a bit small for her so her front paws are usually up on the front end and the floor gets very wet in the process.

I am very lucky, I have the 2 best huggers in the world. I'm really tired but I can't bring myself to get up and disturb Harley and Phoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Beanie's driving me mental. Although he's neutered and is generally an easy going cat, he urinates on anything he can find, curtains, duvets, cushions....side of my bed this morning :mad: I've gotten him checked twice for UTIs and nothing so its just pure boldness or stress, although what he has to be stressed about i dont know. It sounds like such a trivial problem but its so annoying when the ends of curtains are stained and stink at the end of every week :( I know about Feliway...but it's just so expensive. If he needs to chill i want to know first whats actually triggering the stress.

• Advertisement

:( People tend to trivialise cat problems but they can really get the owners down! Cats can be very good at pestering at times!

I hope you get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,444 ✭✭✭Heroditas

anniehoo wrote: »
    Beanie's driving me mental. Although he's neutered and is generally an easy going cat, he urinates on anything he can find, curtains, duvets, cushions....side of my bed this morning :mad: I've gotten him checked twice for UTIs and nothing so its just pure boldness or stress, although what he has to be stressed about i dont know. It sounds like such a trivial problem but its so annoying when the ends of curtains are stained and stink at the end of every week :( I know about Feliway...but it's just so expensive. If he needs to chill i want to know first whats actually triggering the stress.

Oh god, I can only sympathize. Rocky went through an awful spate of that beginning last April - first he started peeing on the window sill in the living room, then peed against the front door in the hall.
    Also peed on one of the curtains in the dining room.
    We finally managed to get him to stop but only because we have a cat flap out into the side passage now and have their litter trays out there. He now pees against the inside of the gate of the side passage.
    You can get the smell coming up the driveway. Bleugh! :(

We had initially tried Feliway but I didn't think it did any good.

I would strongly recommend using something like this:

URINE OFF

There are two types - one cleans and eliminates the smell and the other actively deters the cat from peeing in the spot again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Cream goes through phases of that too, usually when he is constipated. Maybe it could be something like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

anniehoo wrote: »

Have you tried him with a bit of catnip? Might calm him down a bit. I always say it's the feline version of a good joint! :D

Feliway is available online. Might be cheaper that way?

Heroditas wrote: »

I would strongly recommend using something like this:

URINE OFF

There are two types - one cleans and eliminates the smell and the other actively deters the cat from peeing in the spot again.
    Cheers for the advice. The problem is bed legs, ends of curtains etc are ok...but duvets are my crux. Everything else i can wash or rub down, but it drives me spare when i come home and see a huge yellow patch right in the middle of a king size duvet :mad::mad: I love the little fecker and he's so adorable but i let roar at him this morning when i caught him in the act. He skulled off knowing exactly what he did.
    Cream goes through phases of that too, usually when he is constipated. Maybe it could be something like that?
    He goes everyday without fail and i have 2 trays he can pick from,both cleaned out every second day.
    Have you tried him with a bit of catnip? Might calm him down a bit. I always say it's the feline version of a good joint! :D
    He adores catnip, but that's only effective for a few mins and the "buzz" wears off, so long term not sure if it'd be helpful.

It's gotten to the stage where im now going to have to put a plastic sheet under a throw on the bed, because spending €20 to get a duvet dry cleaned is really getting on my nerves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,444 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Buy one of the sprays. You can get them in Maxizoo.
    They give off a lemony smell so you could give the duvet a quick spray and it might help deter him. Worth a shot anyway. :)

Heroditas wrote: »
    Buy one of the sprays. You can get them in Maxizoo.
    They give off a lemony smell so you could give the duvet a quick spray and it might help deter him. Worth a shot anyway. :)
    Yeh i actually bought a citrus air freshener to place by the front door as the panel under the door was getting a spraying too.

Hmmm, when i write this al down he sounds so bad doesnt he?? He doesnt act stressed, but knowing cats god knows what he's getting himself in a twist over. :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I feel your pain. My (departed) cat used to have a nasty habit of ****ting on my couch. I used to keep an old duvet cover on it that I could just whip off and wash when necessary. Habit came out of nowhere and disappeared just as fast. I have no idea why she did that.

That's the beauty of cats. So unpredictable...

That's the beauty of cats. So unpredictable...

Ye can say that again :rolleyes:

Ah i adore him really...the little brat! :P

All im hearing is 'isnt he gorgeous'........pity its about the feckin dog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Heehee! A few weeks ago I was ordering some stuff from medicanimal and threw a bag of these peanut butter and oat treats into the cart.. Bailey went MAD for them!! He cried for more the first day I gave him one... One evening we were going to pick up the takeaway and my mum gave him one while he waited for me.. Well there was murder - he went mad barking for more and she vowed to never give him one again, the dogs in the park went crazy for them too.. I brought them to hydro and for the first time ever he took treats from and followed the hydrotherapist in the water... So I ordered a few more bags and just collected the parcel which was a bit slower than normal for medicanimal... The parcel was xrayed and opened by customs - I wonder if a customs dog went nuts at the smell of them lol!! :D

I was just eating a plum and Cream kept staring at me, so my mom said to offer him the plum to see what he would do. He licked it -.- and I was enjoying that plum! :(

Edit: I just walked away for a second and he licked the spoon off my apple crumble... Guess who's going to be cleaning cat sick in 6 in the morning :(

Double standards here; my OH was telling me how funny it was that Harley robbed chicken from his plate, but left all the salad totally untouched. He had done it "perfectly" apparently.

When I pointed out that there is no way he would have been able to get at the plate on the counter and it must have been the cat it suddenly wasn't funny anymore (which made it so much funnier for me)

Thieving cats are hilarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I've always said that my dog isn't a full kerry blue mainly because her ears look wrong but I met someone with a "proper" kerry blue yesterday who told me that the dogs ears were pinned for 3 months to get that standy uppy look:eek: I had no idea. I get that it's probably now part of standards for showing but I can't for the life of me think what the reasoning behind it is?
    Still don't think mines a full kb though.

other musings... I walked some rescue shelter dogs this morning, each one of them easier to walk than my own:o and there I was thinking we'd come on in leaps and bounds over the past two years! Now I'm thinking that maybe all dogs are easier than mine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I am having such a lovely afternoon. I took 11 huskies in from a puppy farm going out of business on Friday, and I have spent the afternoon in the sunshine with them, watching them running around the field having a great time. yes I am also cleaning out their pens, which are full of runny poo, but a small price to pay to see them having such a blast. :D

Thank you to the weather Gods for such a glorious Sunday in October.:)

Aww I would love to see 11 huskies running free :D

I think Cream thinks I'm trying to poison him or something, I let him in this evening, I already had their bowls washed and fresh food put down before I let them in. When he came in he startled at his food (nothing unusual there, he sometimes gets scared of his reflection) but normally after that he would eat it, he even saw Peach eating from the bowl but he still wouldn't.. so I put in one extra 'donut' (shape of the kibble!) and he gobbled it all straight up. I seriously think my cat is schizophrenic... I don't think I've ever heard of anti psychotic medicine for cats though. He also hallucinates all the time. But I still love him :D

@Anniehoo, I have had the dogs and cats puke on my quilt on many occasions now (and a kitten pee on it too) and just chuck it in the bath with hot water and some washing powder, give the spot a good rub and rinse well, then allow to drain most of the water off (Prop up on buckets or something in the bath and most of the water runs out, if there;s two of you grab an end each and twist to wring out) then hang outside or near heat source to dry.
    Does take a while but its a lot cheaper than €20 a pop, and have a spare as they are a sod to drain and dry, mine took near 48 hrs this weekend from start to finish, but weather wasn't great.

Washing powder in warm water should also be used for cleaning up bed legs, floors etc, so long as its biological powder and not non bio, it works great.

Oh and it leaves the bath sparkly clean;)

Mymo i live in an apartment so unfortunately washing and drying a duvet just isnt possible :o He's been quite good the last few days *touch wood*.

Seen these while in for Lolas food! Never heard of a "collie cavalier"

317631_10151105718317545_1032007572_n.jpg

pup 2

563971_10151105718867545_1458056763_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Dunny wrote: »
    Seen these while in for Lolas food! Never heard of a "collie cavalier"

Just a cross between a king charles and a collie then. But are these in a petshop!?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement