Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Thought I'd have a go at attempting to train my dog recall on a whistle. So I had this whistle in one pocket and a bag of treats in the other all day around the house blowing the whistle and giving her a treat when she comes and she responded great to it :D.

However . . .

I left the whistle down on the coffee table and she discovered it and ran off with it and tried to figure out how it worked, pawing at it, staring at it and picking it up and leaving it down, everytime I tried to take it from her she ran off again and wasn't up for trading it for anything either. Eventually she gave up trying to make it work and came back and dropped it in my hand and sat looking at me and crying until she got fed up with that and then jumped on me trying to stick her nose in the treats pocket :rolleyes: Ruddy dog is smarter than I am :pac::pac::pac:

:pac::pac::pac:That is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Love that adrenalinjunkie, they are so funny at times.

When my dog was a pup he started helping me get ready to go out. We brought him most places with us and he loved the car, he used to grab my car keys and hold on to them until I put his lead on, then give them too me with a wag of the tail. I was worried he'd damage the keys, so I put the keys out of reach.
    Next the dog started getting the only other thing I always take out with me, my glasses, dog slobber is hard to get off your glasses.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Am I going blind (don't ask why ;)) but has the TV3 thread disappeared ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Discodog wrote: »
    Am I going blind (don't ask why ;)) but has the TV3 thread disappeared ?

Oi - get the flip out of the chillout zone with your forum issues :mad:

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Oh Poo :eek: ! Sorry. I meant to post in off topic. 10,000 apologies :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I saw the most fabulous looking dog today. I think he was a boxer cross. Same build and features as your standard boxer but he had the same colouring as my youngest JRT. White with big reddish patches. Absolutely stunning looking.

The unfortunate part is that I saw this guy as he was wandering around my area on his own :(

Hopefully he was an escapee as I know all of the wandering dogs around here, they usually join me and my guys on our walks :rolleyes:

I have been known to have 7/8 dogs with me wandering around the fields.... and I wonder why my neighbours think I'm mad :D

I often have a following of several dogs when walking mine, or sometimes my cat with the dogs, he even walks to heal with the dogs (unless he sees another dog then he's up on the nearest wall).
    My neighbours also think I'm nuts, but then so do I at times:P

mymo wrote: »

Oh I know i'm nuts...but I love every minute of it. I got a half hour to myself last night and I kinda felt lost :o

I often have a following of several dogs when walking mine, or sometimes my cat with the dogs, he even walks to heal with the dogs (unless he sees another dog then he's up on the nearest wall).

I used to live in a house with a big green out the front of it, last thing at night I'd take the dogs out for a walk around it, and the 4 cats would always come with us. My neighbours thought the same about me:D

Oh I know i'm nuts...but I love every minute of it. I got a half hour to myself last night and I kinda felt lost :o

How did you manage that?
    I even get followed to the loo at times, but I know what you mean, when I was really ill my friend took my daughter and dogs to her house to play with her dogs for an hour or two so I could get a rest....I couldn't sleep:o It was too quiet.

• Advertisement

How did you manage that?
    I even get followed to the loo at times, but I know what you mean, when I was really ill my friend took my daughter and dogs to her house to play with her dogs for an hour or two so I could get a rest....I couldn't sleep:o It was too quiet.

My Dad and my my daughter took the 4 of them out so I could have a break.... I ended up doing the hoovering and cleaning out their cages :D it was horrible being home alone too quiet and calm :P

As for the loo one, I have 1 lady who always follows, but we now have an aggrement that she will wait until the toilet flushes before she barges in to check I'm still around :D

My wait outside the door, but rush in as the door opens to check I didn't climb out the window:D

:o:o:o

I have a facebook page for myself, and one for phoenix. I earlier update my own page saying I was on my way to be checked for mites, but I think I'm well on the mend as there is absolutely no smell anymore and the hair is growing back.

Obviously the update was meant for phoes page. It was only there about 20 mins, before I got a text asking wtf? But :o

Oh dear Whispered, its friday evening, it can't be helped.

My dogs and cats have Facebook pages too (thanks to my daughter), can't believe how many fans they have!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

What a strangely great weekend for not actually going anywhere. 5 newborn kitties in the spare room, 2 petsitting dogs and 1 resident cat in the rest of the place...and no probs at all! Amazingly satisfying :D

The best weekends are spent at home with the babies. No doubt about it. :) I'm so glad it's working out so well for you.

Tonight we are visiting friends. Phoe has met his first baby (hooman), and some rotties. He chose a spot in the sitting room and relaxed for the evening. He just fit right in! He's going to make an amazing addition to someones life. He's so easy!

I've had to take a look at how Harley is treated and how he acts compared to Phoe. H spends his time trying to get our attention, pacing the sitting room and generally being neurotic. Phoe, who has not had an easy start, is so much more relaxed. I can't help thinking we "created a Harley". He's wired and a good deal of hard work. And I don't know how to "fix" it. :rolleyes:

anniehoo wrote: »
    What a strangely great weekend for not actually going anywhere. 5 newborn kitties in the spare room, 2 petsitting dogs and 1 resident cat in the rest of the place...and no probs at all! Amazingly satisfying
    Spoke too soon didnt i :o

Just cleaned out the spare room and the kittens bed has been washed and box disinfected. Amazing how things change in just a day :(

:(

How is the cat doing?

Whispered wrote: »
    :(

How is the cat doing?
    Thats the other bad thing. I left a very slight crack in the window to ventilate the room a bit...and yep she got out.Its really been a disastrous day altogether. Im hopin she'll come back when shes hungry again but i wanted to keep her in totally until neutering. Lessons learned all over the place today i tell ya :o

They're so good at escape. I would guess she'll be back once she's hungry. She knows how good a warm bed and full belly feels now.

• Advertisement

ah no, you poor thing, what an awful day it turned out to be:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Demented. :(

Husband agreed to feed the two sled dogs his friend owns while she's on a 5-day pack march. He offered to take them up here to stay with us but she said no thanks and that she only needed us to call in Tuesday and Thursday to feed them and play with them.

I was no part of the negotiation and assumed someone else was coming in the inbetween days.

Get there this evening (Tuesday evening, she's gone since Monday morning) and no feckin dogs. Not a bloody sign. Went around the yard - hole under the fence makes me think the husky went out under and the mal may have gone out over the fences to follow her - he's not a jumper normally, but he's a 45kg dog and I'd be amazed if he got out through the hole that was there. Following her might have given him the impetus to go over the fence though.

Left here at 5pm, supposed to be back by 6.15 - came back in 8.15pm, after driving all over the housing estate and the roads around, calling the local vets and logging a lost call with them, calling the council and animal control section and leaving a message at the pound, doorknocking the neighbours and waylaying people in the street.

Came home and drew up some missing posters, and posted the missing notice online in the 'Lost' section of a major dog forum down here. Will leaflet the letterboxes in the estate tomorrow if first morning calls at the pound and the rest of the vets turn up nothing.

So pissed off - neighbour kid told me they get out 'all the time' - I was looking at himself with this 'wtf did you get us into?' face - he said he knew they'd escaped once but that was it. I have no idea if they're chipped or registered - I'm sure they're chipped, but I bet their chip change details haven't been updated and so on, because she's only been stationed in the area six weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

@ The Sweeper - that's ridiculous! Bet you needed a stiff drink by the time you eventually got home. Hope the dogs turn up soon, she better not have the cheek to blame you guys for their escape :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Found 'em.

They're in the pound.

Now I have a quandary of whether to get them out of the pound and keep them at mine until she's back - if I don't spring them, they have to wait until Saturday to be freed.

However, if I DO get them, it involves the following:

$200 of costs to have the Mal registered with the council and his chip details changed, plus the husky needs to be chipped first and then registered, plus the fees and fines for having the dogs in the pound. I also have to register the two dogs in MY name and to MY address, which I'm reluctant to do because if they get out of her place again (given they're escaping apparently an average of once a week at the moment!!) it'll be my number the rangers are calling.

I hate the idea of them doing five days / four nights in the pound, but I can't really see a way around it that isn't leaving me open to vast liabilities.

Other people's bloody dogs...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

thats a tad much in fairness Sweeper. you must be fuming with her!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Anniehoo how is Molly getting on now?

Had a PM from a boards member saying your attitude :confused: asked what they meant and they said "your attitude" with a thumbs down sign. Don't ya just love the ignore list :D

So sore from the gym last night, was meant to be going again tonight but my friend cancelled so am going to have a chill night with the dogs, BF away for work so crap TV all the way :D

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Anniehoo how is Molly getting on now?
    Progress last night where she came and sat on the couch for ages (she used to just stick to the spare room).She also seems to be tolerating my cat a bit better. It sounded like they were chasing each other in the middle of the night last night :D Shes very vocal though and is still itching to get out though.She seems to have a slight discharge still from the kittens but im keeping an eye on it! All good so far though....
    wrote:
    Had a PM from a boards member saying your attitude :confused: asked what they meant and they said "your attitude" with a thumbs down sign. Don't ya just love the ignore list :D
    Whaat?Thats crazy you're a lovely Boardsie...dont mind them ;)

Ah thats brilliant, she picked well when she came to your house :D

I know some people are just crazy :rolleyes: doesnt bother me in the slightest. If she had actually written something to explain herself it would make more sense. Ah well no more emails from her :p

OMG TillyGirl, what have you said? Must go back and have a look at your posts, see how bold you've been:D

• Advertisement

I have no idea and way too lazy to look back at my posts. If you find anything please let me know :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement