Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Wilma weighed in at 36.3kg when she arrived here 10 days ago. Got her weighed yesterday and she's down to 35kg so she's going the right direction. Target weight is 27-28kg so hopefully within 3 months or so she'll get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

When doggo is being all adorable and begging, but you're eating grapes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Collected my new(ish) car today. One of the first things I had to do was bring the dogs out to it and pop them in to give it a going over. If not we would've had hours of 'oh my god there's a strange car outside we're all doomed' barking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I had the towbar (for our step) ordered and garage lined up to fit it for me before my car was even delivered lol - priorities! :p

A weird thing happened yesterday in the park... we were on the grass and my friend says watch out.. a man who had been cycling on the path veered off onto the grass towards us. As he was coming towards us I said whoa or something but he continued and put his hand out and touched Bailey who has his back to him and jumped with the fright - he was already on edge after hearing fireworks earlier...he cycled back onto the path and out the gate. :confused: like WHY?! I was holding B's lead tight but he could have side jumped into the bike and hurt himself?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

I know what you mean, the back seats can be completely taken out of this so I'll get both crates in nicely and room for the odds and sods that we need to bring along for them.
    What a very random thing to do, especially on a bike! Although he might have been one of those people who has that 'i must pet all the dogs I see' mindset. I think that would be me only for I've seen first hand with our own fella how confronting it is for some dogs to be petted or that close to a complete stranger, especially one cycling towards you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

That's an idiot asking to be
    - jumped up at and knocked over if it's a playful dog
    - bitten if it's an aggressive, protective or nervous dog
    - smacked by the dog's owner because of acting like a weirdo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I started up my own dog grooming business back at the start of the year, and unfortunately have encountered my first injury along the line :( risk of the job, but still bloody painful! I can put up with nips, bites and scrapes, but dislocated thumbs are a step too far!!

I started up my own dog grooming business back at the start of the year, and unfortunately have encountered my first injury along the line :( risk of the job, but still bloody painful! I can put up with nips, bites and scrapes, but dislocated thumbs are a step too far!!

Ouch:eek::eek:
    Worst dog related injury I ever had was thumb related also. I tripped over a dog and tried to grab the door to stay upright. Unfortunately the door swung closed and my thumb got caught in it, right on the nail. Went totally black and the nail eventually fell off and then grew back. Took about 5 months before the full nail was back from the actual injury! You don't realise how much you need and use your thumb until it's injured.

Wilma is now just over 30kg. I knew she was losing the excess weight but I didn't think she'd actually lost quite that much. She's much more active and able to keep up with the others and is able to go off lead as she has fantastic recall. Loves swimming too. I might increase her food slightly now that her energy levels are up, I'd rather she lost the last few kilos over a bit longer a time frame, she's only been here a month!

Wilma is now just over 30kg. I knew she was losing the excess weight but I didn't think she'd actually lost quite that much. She's much more active and able to keep up with the others and is able to go off lead as she has fantastic recall. Loves swimming too. I might increase her food slightly now that her energy levels are up, I'd rather she lost the last few kilos over a bit longer a time frame, she's only been here a month!

Woah! That's amazing! Isn't that almost a stone she's lost?! What's her goal weight?
    She must be feeling so amazing! You should do some transformation pics for us!

• Advertisement

Woah! That's amazing! Isn't that almost a stone she's lost?! What's her goal weight?
    She must be feeling so amazing! You should do some transformation pics for us!
    She has much more of a waistline now. When she arrived she was very rotund, and had a bit of a hanging gut. She would spend lots of time lying about and when she did exert herself she would be out of breath. We started with on lead walks and then firstly let her off lead in the fields behind the house, and then off lead on the beach, where she loves to swim.

Even from the first few photos I took of her, it's hard to see the weight loss, because she was constantly lying down at the start so I've no "profile" photos as such! The only thing was, her head looked tiny in comparison to her bulky body, whereas she looks far more in proportion now - even though she still has 2/3 kilos to go.

She has much more of a waistline now. When she arrived she was very rotund, and had a bit of a hanging gut. She would spend lots of time lying about and when she did exert herself she would be out of breath. We started with on lead walks and then firstly let her off lead in the fields behind the house, and then off lead on the beach, where she loves to swim.

Even from the first few photos I took of her, it's hard to see the weight loss, because she was constantly lying down at the start so I've no "profile" photos as such! The only thing was, her head looked tiny in comparison to her bulky body, whereas she looks far more in proportion now - even though she still has 2/3 kilos to go.

So she's losing weight and having fun doing it!.. hhmmm.. can I come live with you for a month?!

So she's losing weight and having fun doing it!.. hhmmm.. can I come live with you for a month?!

I wish I could shift excess weight as easily!

In fairness to her, she's really enjoying herself. She's the last to get back in the van on the beach and she looks at me as if to say "do we have to go home?"

MR BB keeping us on our toes the last week.... while he was keeping of his lol!!:p

He was suddenly very lame so followed the usual procedure - rest and medicine... no improvement at all.. Holy crap something is wrong with his knee (he had surgery in March).. Vets on Sat - painkiller and antiflams and come back on wed.. Still no improvement and getting 10 mins walk max per day (he's not interested in an evening walk this time of year in case he might hear a firework).. Vet on wed and our suspects were..
    -broken toe
    -cracked/broken/infected nail
    -something gone up into the pad

In he goes yesterday which went surprisingly well.. I had asked if I could bring him in in and have him sedated - rather than drop him off early and have him flip out and no probs. Well he had his injection in his bum lol and we sat for a few mins with me petting him and you could see him getting more and more relaxed... Vets called about an hour and half later to say I could collect him! (I work 5 mins away)

After the x-rays our new suspects are
    - Harvest mites
    - A mat between his toes - the shame lol :o
    - Arthritis setting in in his toes/foot - he has a kind of weird foot from all his years of wonky legs

Well the relief lol! We really thought it was the knee because he's as lame as he was when he had the surgery but vet confirmed it's 100% ok!!

Bailey the DIVIL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭jellybear

Awh guys need lots of positive thoughts for Milo! We found a lump under his ribcage and he's booked in for surgery to remove it tomorrow :( So, so worried but hopeful that it will be a fatty lump, which our husky had. There's no way of knowing until it's taken out and a biopsy taken.
    Tomorrow's gonna be a horrible day :(

Ah poor Milo! Try not to worry too much which is easier said than done! :o

Bailey has 3 now - one under the rib cage, one on his paw (yuck!) and one in the intercostal muscles on one side which makes it feel like his ribs are bulging out and fits in the palm of my hand! The big one and paw one were tested - big one was lipoma and didn't get sent off.. the vet showed me the slide and it looked like oil/fat... Paw one had FNA and it was inconclusive - that one is coming off whenever he goes under for something else as it hasn't changed in size and doesn't bother him at all (we hate it lol!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

a recent appearance?
    sending positive thoughts - hopefully its just a fatty lump - keep us posted - lots of TLC on the cards for poor Milo tomorrow evening :(

aonb wrote: »
    a recent appearance?
    sending positive thoughts - hopefully its just a fatty lump - keep us posted - lots of TLC on the cards for poor Milo tomorrow evening :(

Yeah we noticed it on Saturday and it's gotten bigger since then :(

Thanks for the reassurance and positive thoughts. I'm off sick at the minute so we'll be having plenty of cuddles on the couch!

Aaw no! Not Milo! Sending loads and loads of postive thoughts. Definitely keep us updated. We'll have the fingers and paws crossed here. x

Ah will be thinking of you both! You'll have to spoil him when he comes home! Last week we had a meeting ....which i missed dropping him to the vets ooops....well to encourage us all to go along they have mini pastries and tea/coffee etc... I took a mini scone for Bailey as a treat for being at the vets! :pac: Another time i gave him mikados lol lol lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Warmest wishes for Milo tomorrow, all paws crossed here.

Ugh just left Milo in and am sitting here bawling :( House is too quiet without him :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

jellybear wrote: »
    Ugh just left Milo in and am sitting here bawling :( House is too quiet without him :(

*hugs* fingers crossed for him.

Well Milo man is home safe and sound :)
    It was honestly the longest day ever!!! Vet said it looked like a cyst so fingers crossed!!

jellybear wrote: »
    Well Milo man is home safe and sound :)
    It was honestly the longest day ever!!! Vet said it looked like a cyst so fingers crossed!!

Oh that's great news! Fingers crossed it's a cyst! x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

How old is Milo (the cutie)?
    Are some dogs prone to fatty cysts? My old guy developed a few over the years - heart attack each time we found a new one. As he got older the vet stopped removing them (had 2 removed - went on to grow 3 more) and they never seemed to bother him. Horrible feeling when you find a lump like that though.
    Fingers crossed for Milo, let us know when you hear the results

aonb wrote: »
    How old is Milo (the cutie)?
    Are some dogs prone to fatty cysts? My old guy developed a few over the years - heart attack each time we found a new one. As he got older the vet stopped removing them (had 2 removed - went on to grow 3 more) and they never seemed to bother him. Horrible feeling when you find a lump like that though.
    Fingers crossed for Milo, let us know when you hear the results

He'll be 2 and a half on Christmas eve :) I've no idea if there's anything in particular that causes them to be honest. Will of course update when we hear anything :) He's quite unsettled but here he is relaxing this evening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Just happened to stumble across this - its a bizarre one...

Dog as a gift between political leaders

I suppose he would be looked after well enough...

Edit.... Hmmm... just flicking through the pictures...

.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Oliver got into the bin saturday night don't know what he ate but he has had me up 4 times so far, hope he's alright by morning, he doesn't seem bothered by high winds/storms, but I'm trying to keep in 4 cats and another dog too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

How are all your pets holding up in the weather? Let peach and cream out for 10 minutes (supervised) to do their business at 6am, ran straight back in as soon as they were done. Poor Moose has never experienced a storm before so he’s going a little nuts and driving everyone insane :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement