Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Just found out Ray Coppinger has passed away, he was the host of the first seminar I ever attended. I'm so lucky to have been able to hear him speak about his work and experience.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭muddypaws

VonVix wrote: »
    Just found out Ray Coppinger has passed away, he was the host of the first seminar I ever attended. I'm so lucky to have been able to hear him speak about his work and experience.

I feel very privileged to have met and spoken with him that weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

I drove by the woman who's dog attacked Milo back in February today. I really wanted to stop and say something to her...ask her why she never contacted me to see how he was or to apologise at least , but, I just kept driving :( Felt quite nervous for a good while after it..strange sort of feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I finally get to bed after a busy day which included me being called back into work on my half day :( because something blew up.. I put the laptop away, turn off the light and all I can hear is Peppa Pig Lucy snoring her brains off!! ... and it's only a matter of time until she moves and takes up the whole bed! >_< oh and I have to get up again on 6 hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I have 4 numbers in the lotto. Saturday night treat I think.

• Advertisement

I have 4 numbers in the lotto. Saturday night treat I think.

I go on FB.. 'some lucky person has won 500k!'... then get a mail 'please log in for news about your lotto account'... hold my breath as a log in.. €3 :rolleyes::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

We have a new addition to the setter gang, a 7yr old red lady has joined us yesterday, her elderly owner had to go into a nursing home so she needed a new family. She's getting on great so far, although she's overweight so needs to go on a diet pronto!

We have a new addition to the setter gang, a 7yr old red lady has joined us yesterday, her elderly owner had to go into a nursing home so she needed a new family. She's getting on great so far, although she's overweight so needs to go on a diet pronto!

Congrats! That was so nice of you to take her. Must be such a relief for her owner to see her go to the absolute perfect home for a red setter! I'll be keeping an eye on the pet pics thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I had to get weight off Oliver quickly after he ruptured his cruciate few months back, I cut his food (nuts and wet food) in half and added some veggies to bulk it up, the weight dropped off, almost 2kgs in 3 months. He wasn't much overweight, he's thin but not skinny now at around 11kg.
    He now won't eat his dinner without the veggies!

I had to get weight off Oliver quickly after he ruptured his cruciate few months back, I cut his food (nuts and wet food) in half and added some veggies to bulk it up, the weight dropped off, almost 2kgs in 3 months. He wasn't much overweight, he's thin but not skinny now at around 11kg.

Looking forward to pics!

• Advertisement

mymo wrote: »

Looking forward to pics!

I'm the opposite lol!! I changed brands of (raw) food which solved all Lucy's tummy issues/bloating etc and she dropped weight and then Bailey's thyroid medicine was upped and the weight fell off him so no longer on his starvation diet! :mad: (difficult customer hat was put on for that - lesson leaned and we go to our lovely vet who moved from now on instead on a sat morning :) )His food has increased x 3 and both are on the same amount now lol - I don't know if they've ever been on the same!

Had her at the vets today she's over 36kg, and the same size as my setters who range from 26-29kg!! She's picky with food too, although I reckon she was given whatever she wanted as she's very interested in our food but won't even look at plain dry food. I'm also worried about overdoing the excersise while she's this heavy, don't want to put pressure on her joints. Her name is Misty but I think I'll change it to either Carrots or Wilma. Wilma seems to suit her better but Carrots sounds right with the others names!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

How are the others coping with the new arrival?
    Post a picture quick!! :)

Wilmaaaaa!! :D My friend had a Sherry and Dearg setter growing up :)

aonb wrote: »
    How are the others coping with the new arrival?
    Post a picture quick!! :)

The others are doing great with her. In fairness they are so used to all sorts of dogs they always react well to a gentle setter. She is very similar in personality and temperament to another setter they know so it's not much of a stretch for them! I took pics tonight but too tired to upload them, will do it tomorrow, promise!

tk123 wrote: »
    Wilmaaaaa!! :D My friend had a Sherry and Dearg setter growing up :)

Wilma from the flintstones has red hair:D

Just got word that her old owner will be transferred to a nursing home fairly close by, literally 5 mins drive. I wonder would it be too confusing for her to perhaps visit her old owner sometime? It's bound to be heartbreaking to have given her up and may help to see her happy and settled.

Wilma from the flintstones has red hair:D

Just got word that her old owner will be transferred to a nursing home fairly close by, literally 5 mins drive. I wonder would it be too confusing for her to perhaps visit her old owner sometime? It's bound to be heartbreaking to have given her up and may help to see her happy and settled.

I think, if the nursing home agreed to a doggie visitor, and the ex-owner would enjoy it, that this would be a wonderful idea. My mother had a friend in the nursing home, whose daughter used to bring her dog to visit - a huge success for the old lady, but also everyone in the place enjoyed a visit from the dog too. Once the dog is settled with you, definitely would try it out.

aonb wrote: »
    I think, if the nursing home agreed to a doggie visitor, and the ex-owner would enjoy it, that this would be a wonderful idea. My mother had a friend in the nursing home, whose daughter used to bring her dog to visit - a huge success for the old lady, but also everyone in the place enjoyed a visit from the dog too. Once the dog is settled with you, definitely would try it out.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking. It's not you're average rehoming where they are perhaps emigrating/can't train/don't have time for the dog, it really is a wrench to give her up, she was a well loved pet (a bit too well loved, judging by her girth!) and an impossible situation for the owner.

And here she is, she's on the back right of the group pic

nvCsMkXl.jpg

gkz4vQAl.jpg

guJbpYZl.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

She's gorgeous borderlinemeath!

That red hair!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

When you are going on a day trip but the 3 kids won't get out of bed. Of course because I was packing the car, the Borders thought they were going and began to 'Sing'. Well the kids were well and truly woken up.

Many people do not know that if you keep more then one Border they howl like wolves. If you keep them with hounds or Huskies, then you will be treated to great sing songs.

My small dog woowoo's then goes to full on wolf howl if ignored.
    I have not ever sent her upstairs to teenagers room when she won't get out of bed with instructions to "go get her"
    Nope, never done that.
    Not even 45 mins ago...

My cat sleeps indoors at night - she comes in like clockwork every night.
    Our shower room has a clear glass window, I put a blanket on the sill so she can look through, she has her bed and food and litter tray in there.
    This a.m I went to let her out and found she had had diarrhoea or rather a mess on her bum overnight :mad::mad::mad::eek::eek::eek: she goes nuts when this happens - she drags her bum over EVERYTHING!!! The sink/floor/walls/loo/blanket were covered in 'dragged poopy bum' marks :eek::(

So I put her outside, and cleaned up the mess. Ugh

About an hour later I went to our bedroom to get dressed, she had been dragging her bum on our bed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stripped the bed, and into the machine.

Getting ready for work and running late now, she somehow got into the house, and was lying on 'her' armchair in the conservatory!!!!!!!!!!! So I had to give her a bath - I got soaked in the process, so had to change my clothes again.

Jeez that cat is high maintenance :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

I got one of those Nina ottoson puzzle toys today for the dogs, there's two slide slots, two containers that they have to knock over and two levers that they have to use to open the flap. One of the dogs got the idea within two tries, but now seems to think that if he closes the flaps again and then reopens them that the treats are automatically refilled!! The other looked at it, looked at me and then lay down lol!

Bells21 wrote: »
    I got one of those Nina ottoson puzzle toys today for the dogs, there's two slide slots, two containers that they have to knock over and two levers that they have to use to open the flap. One of the dogs got the idea within two tries, but now seems to think that if he closes the flaps again and then reopens them that the treats are automatically refilled!! The other looked at it, looked at me and then lay down lol!

we have a wooden one - one side is sliding thingies, the other side is cup thingies. Our stupid dog loves it - he gets completely over excited. Hes a bit special needs in comparison to other dogs - never was very bright really. He slams the sliding things over and back regardless of whether theres a treat in there or not. Hes started trying to eat the sliding covers when he gets excited. We have to grab the cups when he lifts them off or he tries to eat them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Due to losing my mobile phone, I had to get all the dogs new ID tags, put my surname, mobile number and eir code on them. Ghost managed to lose his within a couple of days, I thought it was somewhere in the field and had come off through playing roughly. Postman has just been with a brown envelope with his tag in it. I have no idea where he actually lost it now.

:D It'd have to be Ghost who'd lose his lol! :D

muddypaws wrote: »
    Due to losing my mobile phone, I had to get all the dogs new ID tags, put my surname, mobile number and eir code on them. Ghost managed to lose his within a couple of days, I thought it was somewhere in the field and had come off through playing roughly. Postman has just been with a brown envelope with his tag in it. I have no idea where he actually lost it now.

Benson lost his on the beach last month. Within a couple of days one of my customers found it and dropped it in to me. To put it in context, the stretch of beach that we walk is 4km long and can be as much as a kilometre wide when the tide is out:P

We found a rusty worn tag that had washed up on the rocks one time - from a crematorium in Florida!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Posted here a while ago about a bad experience with a member of the gardai. According to the response from the garda ombudsman, nothing can be done since it's not garda misconduct to delay vet care for a poisoned, siezing, vomiting dog to check some papers. Animal cruelty is not misconduct now, but expected garda behaviour. What is the world coming to?
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2013/act/15/section/12/enacted/en/html#sec12

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement