Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I'm hamster sitting for the next 2 weeks while my cousins are gone on holidays. Moose is in his running past every door he sees we're trying to close phase so operation don't let the cat kill the hamster shall be in full swing here! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Super proud of a couple of my old pals passing their apdt assessments, especially as one of them was my first mentor. :o Also... me and my boys are melting, what on earth is with this humidity?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

It has cooled quite considerably here in Wexford in the last half hour, thank goodness. I've even had to pull in the windows and that's saying something for me!(it was more because Hoops had burrowed his nose into his bed to let me know he was a little chilly)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Flibble

Quick bit of advice lads... So I just minded my partner's family dog for a week (he's away a lot with work so I was by myself) and it went fine, no issues, was great to have him around.

I've just heard from my partner that his mother is going to ask me to mind the dog again for 2 weeks over Christmas (incl Christmas Day).

This doesn't suit me at all really, as I plan to spend a fair bit of time at my family home & my father hates dogs, so I would essentially have to drive back and forth to my own home to look after the dog as he wouldn't be welcome there, and would end up spending much of Christmas Day by myself as a result. Plus not being able to enjoy a few glasses of wine, stay over for a few nights etc.

At the same time... I'm very conscious that they have nobody else who would take a dog over the Christmas period, so I'm kinda their only hope. I think they might have one relative who would take him, but he'd be out in the shed and for a 9 year old dog who is used to sleeping on beds this will be quite the shock to the poor fella.

If it was literally any other time of year I'd be fine, it's just the stress of minding a dog when you have to factor in someone who hates dogs at a time like Christmas...

What would ye do? Take the dog and sacrifice Christmas, or tell them no and leave them to find somewhere the dog is going to have an awful Christmas? ME OR THE DOG?!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Could they not book him in with a home border - he'll be pampered in their house rather than being dumped outside. Or is it that they don't want to pay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Tell them, even if they book dog in somewhere for few days, give you Christmas at least.

I got a text Saturday morning from a friend who was about to get on a plane asking will I walk their dog while they're away for a week. I told her repeatedly that I can't as Oliver is still on short walks after his op, I work, and I have a bad head cold at the moment. Dog is shut in a pen for the week with her elderly mother coming up to feed and water it. I'm going up there after dinner to see the poor dog as I know she's lonely, even though I'm sick.
    Last time I walked her while they were away I ended up with ligament damage in my foot as she doesn't walk well on the lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Bran has a lump on the side of his neck, has come up very quickly and I am of course thinking the worst, having lost a dog to lymphoma very quickly a few years ago. Vets in the morning, so all fingers and paws crossed please.

muddypaws wrote: »
    Bran has a lump on the side of his neck, has come up very quickly and I am of course thinking the worst, having lost a dog to lymphoma very quickly a few years ago. Vets in the morning, so all fingers and paws crossed please.

All fingers and paws crossed here and sending positive vibes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Everything crossed for Bran x

My Corey went into the vets the other day to have a tooth removed. Turns out after they did a good cleaning, the tooth wasn't cracked and didn't need removing, but Corey wasn't coming round the way he should and they wanted to keep him overnight. I could have told them that - in fact I told my boyfriend to tell them he doesn't come out of general aesthetic well, his old owner had warned me of this. But of course my boyfriend forgot to mention this when dropping him off and the vets were scared!

So I picked him up the next afternoon, he's totally back to himself. But I didn't have a lift arranged so I have to carry him home. He's 5.5kg. Not a small boy. It's only a ten minute walk. We're so close that I can see my street, and decided I might as well let him out of the carrier. Oh Corey, why? He turns the opposite direction and jumps into a neighbour's garden and starts wailing. I think he'll cop on soon and go home. I waited 15 minutes and knew something wasn't right so I go back to where I let him out, and call for him. Pewssssh!Corey!" Kitten-like mews and he comes out after a few minutes, and I carry him home in my arms.

That cat sometimes goes away for 24 hours or more, no way he didn't know his territory! Two things though, I realised then how much Corey loves me, and I realised for the first time how much I love him. I've only had him 16 months.

• Advertisement

Hope all goes well for Bran.

Good luck Richard Branson! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Poor Bran, fingers and paws crossed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Hope everything goes well for Bran, fingers and paws crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Rooting for Bran here, poor boy. I remember him in the pound and was so happy when you gave him a home. He was a lucky boy then and hopefully that luck will see him through this ordeal.

Bran is such an amazing dog with people, 3 needles into his neck for samples and he just sat with me holding his head up then wanted vet cuddles. We won't know exactly what we're dealing with until the results are back which will take a few days, but it's not just a fatty lump or something obviously simple :(

Ah try not to worry too much about him :( At least it's early in the week that you won't have a long wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Fingers crossed for bran x

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Cuddles for Bran

So daughters friends from college came to visit yesterday for first time, they went camping at the river, swam all afternoon, and again at 7am, had a BBQ, some wine and a great time, they all want to come back, being from the city they thought it'd be boring out in the sticks!
    One of my friends met them down there, rang me and said they were jealous, they had napkins, cocktails and wine, relish on the burgers, real posh!
    Camping has changed since I was her age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭pawrick

I'm wondering if the possibility of a for sale / swap page aimed at pet accessories would be a good idea here like what they have in the Watches and Timepieces forum? Not to replace adverts.ie but to compliment it?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057227803

I've been thinking about this especially as I have a few items for sale but I know my collection/delivery restrictions are an issue for some people who may be interested going by the number of views but with no offers to haggle on prices.

I'd be far more reassured and flexible dealing with a regular poster here for items not suitable to post than some potential timewaster who tries to drag you across the country only not to show up and I'm sure there are others who think the same.

Also I'm sure we all have many bits and pieces which we have laying about that could be offered to others here for swap or free or even loan but would never go to the bother of creating an advert for.

What kind of stuff are we talking about? I always donate stuff that's being lying around or unused/unneeded..with the exception of a kennel and oem boot guard - everything else goes in the donation box.. or to DBB lol :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭pawrick

tk123 wrote: »
    What kind of stuff are we talking about? I always donate stuff that's being lying around or unused/unneeded..with the exception of a kennel and oem boot guard - everything else goes in the donation box.. or to DBB lol :p

Anything really I guess depending on what people want to get rid of once it's not an actual pet as there is already a re-homing thread. I have given bits and pieces to local charities but they don't always need what people have to offer + my partner already does TNR in our locality so anything cat related we usually pass on to others in the same line. It is really just a suggestion to aid people who need to sell bits and pieces or want to pass on items to fellow boardsies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I've had Peach on a diet for the last year, and was convinced she was just getting fatter and fatter. Had her at the vets today and she's actually lost half a kilo! She doesn't look any smaller though. Maybe she's just having some middle age spread :D

Bran's results are back - no sign of cancerous cells, so looks like an infection. Will pick up some antibiotics for him tomorrow. I am so relieved.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

muddypaws wrote: »
    Bran's results are back - no sign of cancerous cells, so looks like an infection. Will pick up some antibiotics for him tomorrow. I am so relieved.

Delighted :D

Yay great news Muddypaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

So happy for you muddypaws and bran :D We lost Charlie to lymphoma which started as lumps in his neck, had everything crossed for good news for bran

FFS the dogs nearly hit by a kid on a scooter AGAIN while we were having coffee today - I had even moved Bailey out off his path after he was zooming by mm's from his tail...nope he changes course to zoom past some more and almost takes out some tables and people walking past. Mammy too busy looking at her phone to take any notice!! :mad:

• Advertisement

Great news muddypaws.
    Washed Oliver yesterday and found what looks like a dead tick in the end of his tail, all gunky and left a big hole, the flesh around it looked OK, it was deep but couldn't see bone, but not so sure today, it's the last inch of the tail and he's bitten it a bit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement