Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My two would be the same tbh. Whether it's a long walk or 10 mins around the block they sleep the same lol!! On Monday I did training with them for 20-30 mins - just practicing what Lucy had done in her class the day before and they were both exhausted. I'm thinking of taking the tunnel out this evening and doing some more training instead of a walk which should be entertaining because they can't handle the excitement of it and go bananas lol! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

We took down our Christmas tree from the attic, it's a white tree and not decorated yet. Alli took one look and hid behind my mam, it's her first christmas with us and I don't know if she saw a Christmas tree in her foster parents house last year. She was also scared of the pumpkin at halloween so I'm not holding out much hope for the tree :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

It's weird, our poor dear fool of a dog that's scared of the furniture if it gets moved, has no problem with a huge tree moving into the livingroom.
    I tried swapping the two and three seater sofas around and he wouldn't sit on either all week, once they were back where they should be he was on them snoring in seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Mymo that's so weird coz Harley is the same. Never batted an eyelid at the Christmas tree - wouldn't walk past and stared suspiciously at the wine cabinet for a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I was shocked when I got up this morning to see Toby asleep on the sofa in the living room instead of on the chair in the kitchen. Usually he won't go in the living room unless one of us is in there. Felix didn't bother him at all, until Mr Pumpkinseeds came home this evening and Felix went back to being a little swine.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 DforDisaster

A word of advice....
    If you decide that getting into your soon to arrive puppy's 61cm crate will make for a humorous photo, you are right - it will.

Worth bearing in mind though that while getting in isn't too challenging, getting out is another ball game altogether, and your other half probably can't be relied upon to stop laughing long enough to help you out!

Allis not scared of the tree with all the decorations and lights on it :D she was more curious about everything , she was only scared of a small reindeer figure that we put under the tree :rolleyes: she may also have nicked a few baubles when they fell on the floor... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Very relieved tonight! On the 2 occasions the Nyssa pup had met my almost-3-year-old niece and nephew, she was quite scared of them. The last time had been around 6 weeks ago, I suppose, and she had been pretty nervous of other small children she'd met too. We'd made a whole plan of reintroduction, starting with a walk with the twins and mummy on Girley Bog today.

And well, it didn't start that well - that is with the twins - they had just woken up, and both refused to either walk or be worn by me, meaning mummy had to wear 17kg Eric on her back, and 16kg Hannah on her front! That started out fine for Nyssa, as she got to get used to their presence without any unpredictable movements for a while. Their poor mummy is human, however, so that wasn't going to last long!

She had to reveal that Eric's Auntie Mo had Fireman Sam pyjamas for him in the car, which he could have after the walk IF he would walk :rolleyes: That worked a treat, so then she moved the still-reluctant Hannah ("my legs are tired!") onto her back, and Nyssa got to continue the walk with only one unpredictable little person loose, which also turned out to be fine, and he was very good, just pushing her nose away when she curiously sniffed his face as he walked. They are both great with animals, actually: they have a dog and 3 cats, and mummy has always taught them the rules of interacting with them.

Finally towards the end, Hannah announced her legs were better, and walked the last bit, also wanting to give Nyssa a "doggie sweetie" as soon as she got down. By this stage Nyssa was just interested in everything they were doing and looking at, and thought everything was great.

We went back to their place for a couple of hours, and played in their garden, with them and their doggie. She even got in the way of one of their swings one time, and wasn't at all phased by the bit of a whack she got (not hard, and from the accidental swing, obviously, not from us). She doesn't like to go into confined spaces with them, corridors and doorways, that is, normal rooms are fine, but otherwise seems now to be absolutely fine with small children. Under experienced supervision, obviously.

I'm thrilled with this development! We now won't have to spend xmas alone :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Tea Tree

when do superdogs stop being able to jump 6 ft fences ?:P I thought at 6 now she'd slowed down a bit but it seems not. we can't for the life us figure out the latest escape route....:confused: she has to have gone over the top.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

nothing to do with the doggies today for change, but I've been having a pretty stressful time over the last month or so. Today one of my students came into class with his christmas jumper on and santa hat - it was full of christmas lights and it made me smile properly for the first time in ages! He said his aim was to make everyone happy. He also promised to wear it for the next class with me:D:D

• Advertisement

I couldn't find Felix so I hunted around the house under beds looking for him. I remembered that we'd left the canvas cat carrier under the desk in our home office/laundry room and there he was snuggled up inside. Toby was in it the other night. It's more of a portable dog crate than a cat carrier, then again Felix is more dog sized than cat-sized.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My old collie ( at least 13) is blind now and getting slower. But loves her food and dances when she hears the magic word. Since she went blind she has been walking and running with her front feet splayed forward to help her avoid obstacles, so she dances prettily and with great grace.. The cold weather means everyone is hungrier. I got two big bags of bones yesterday and the sight of thi old lady, bottom in the air, front paws holding the bone while she chews at it is awesome and moving. Until she was 5 she had never seen a bone..... they are so wholehearted in all they do

The Spirit Essences arrived today and I'm looking forward to seeing if they work. I ordered the Trauma one, Bully remedy, Peacemaker and the Self-esteem one, that's all 4 of them and their issues covered.:D

The Spirit Essences arrived today and I'm looking forward to seeing if they work. I ordered the Trauma one, Bully remedy, Peacemaker and the Self-esteem one, that's all 4 of them and their issues covered.:D

They sound interesting, do they do one for nutty as squirrel poo (literally runs up walls), shouty cat, grumpy sod or I'm old so I can scamper around at 3 am howling if I like?

Won't even ask about dogs issues :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

mymo wrote: »
    They sound interesting, do they do one for nutty as squirrel poo (literally runs up walls), shouty cat, grumpy sod or I'm old so I can scamper around at 3 am howling if I like?

Won't even ask about dogs issues :)

um, is that all in just the ONE cat?!?!?!?!? (i.e. nutty, shouty, grumpy, old, howling) :eek:

No no, four cats.

They occasionally swap personalities too, just to confuse us!

Youngest (nutty) is in training for parloir would championships!

Oh, thats ok then! :D
    Ive got our first ever kitten here (not really a cat person) and Im totally flumoxed every minute of every day with her.
    HOW DO YOU TRAIN A CAT TO COME WHEN ITS CALLED?!?!?!?!?!?
    Jeez, even the horses and the hens come when I call them :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

aonb wrote: »
    Oh, thats ok then! :D
    Ive got our first ever kitten here (not really a cat person) and Im totally flumoxed every minute of every day with her.
    HOW DO YOU TRAIN A CAT TO COME WHEN ITS CALLED?!?!?!?!?!?
    Jeez, even the horses and the hens come when I call them :o

Change her name to the sound of a tin opening :D

As above, or you can try a food catnip combo.
    Basically you wait until they are hungry, get some food ready and call them, present food, you calling means food. Same thing with catnip, call cat, have catnip ready, give cat catnip.
    Don't call cat unless you have food or catnip.

This may or may not work depending on how well your cat wants to train you, or what kind of sense of humour he/she has. (My uncle has one he swears laughs at him when it foils his cunning plans)

We put the Christmas tree up last night and Toby's not afraid of it this year.:) He was out when we put it up but as soon as he came in he went straight under it to investigate. Poppy had a good investigate of everything, including the lights as Mr Pumpkinseeds was putting them on the tree. The first bauble she played with was a black cat with a bow, funny since she's a black cat.

Felix was in his element jumping on everything, nothing fazes that cat, who refuses to budge out of the way, even when you're hauling a sofa from one room to another. For some reason I always think that if Felix had a human voice he would sound like Stewie from Family Guy.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Change her name to the sound of a tin opening :D

I ring pulled a tin of soup yesterday when both cats were fast asleep.. yep, instant presence... They were soooooooooo disappointed...

I went back to bed for a couple of hours this afternoon to try to shift this virus. Didn't get much sleep as Toby was already on the bed, which was fine but Jazzy arrived in for a snuggle, followed by Poppy. So I had Jazzy snuggled into my ribs, Poppy snuggled into my thighs and Toby asleep at my toes. That's a first to have 3 of them on the bed, and there was no squabbling:eek::eek:

Pumpkinseeds, the weathers getting cold, they put aside their differences for the sake of a warm bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

We had an emergency situation last night, and 4 rescues worked together, plus other people not affiliated with any particular rescue, just wanting to help. Lovely to see, so now we have safe dogs. I do think there are more good people than bad in the world, just that we hear about the bad ones. I'm feeling really happy this morning. And the pups I'm fostering are 3 weeks old today and have had their first solid food - of course what goes in has to come out, so this afternoon I may not be quite so happy.

muddypaws wrote: »
    We had an emergency situation last night, and 4 rescues worked together, plus other people not affiliated with any particular rescue, just wanting to help. Lovely to see, so now we have safe dogs. I do think there are more good people than bad in the world, just that we hear about the bad ones. I'm feeling really happy this morning. And the pups I'm fostering are 3 weeks old today and have had their first solid food - of course what goes in has to come out, so this afternoon I may not be quite so happy.

3 wks old and eating solids - wow - what breed? Any photos ppplllleeeeaaassseee! Stay happy - the poop wont be too smelly hopefully!

My kitten just pooped on the newly washed bean bag (which was like a military operation to empty/wash/refill) - I nearly had a heart attack, but it wasnt her fault - SOMEONE closed the door to her litter tray :mad:

I hope you are right about the good people outnumbering the bad - I wonder sometimes, I really do. I think the ignorant/unsympathetic/unempathetic/unfeeling ones are the majority and probably the 'worst' :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

aonb wrote: »
    3 wks old and eating solids - wow - what breed? Any photos ppplllleeeeaaassseee! Stay happy - the poop wont be too smelly hopefully!

My kitten just pooped on the newly washed bean bag (which was like a military operation to empty/wash/refill) - I nearly had a heart attack, but it wasnt her fault - SOMEONE closed the door to her litter tray :mad:

I hope you are right about the good people outnumbering the bad - I wonder sometimes, I really do. I think the ignorant/unsympathetic/unempathetic/unfeeling ones are the majority and probably the 'worst' :(

Its RC puppy mousse, and their first taste, most sniffed, walked away, came back, had some, but little Bumble sniffed, tasted and just kept on eating lol. They are pointer cross, not sure what with, Mum came out of the pound already in pup, only young herself and very stressed, but a lovely girl.

Poppy is being a little bitch today. Our Christmas tree is to the right, just inside the living room and she's running and hissing at Felix everytime he comes into the room for the past hour. No idea what the hell that's about:confused:

The McVities ad with puppies, kittens and other baby animals coming out of the box is really irresponsible. It's the sort of thing that encourages people to buy animals as Christmas presents for kids.:mad:

I was thinking the exact same when I watched it pumpkinseeds, really bad form having it on TV at this time of year. I'm sure they've received plenty of complaints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

What about the christmas adopt don't buy campaign atm from one of the rescues - it's ok to get a pet for christmas then as long as it was adopted?! And before anyone says they home check/vet owners - I know plenty of people locally who told rescues exactly what they wanted to hear to get the dog then the novelty wore off..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement