Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭angeline

Club Brasserie beside the Clarion is very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭moby2101

Hi

Thanks for those guys,

Keep the suggestions coming, Whats Greenes like?? Ive heard good reports.

I know this is a long shot but does anyone know if THe Groove Orchestra plays a residency anywhere in Cork these days?? WE had them as our wedding band many years ago after seeing them playing in Scotts Pub one night!!

Cheers

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

moby2101 wrote: »
    Hi

Wife and I are heading down to Cork for the weekend, looking for some local knowledge please.

Its been over a year since we were there last.
    Staying in Clarion, heres a few of the pubs we had planed to visit
    Bodega, Suas, Soho, Long Island Bar, Electric, Boqueira along those lines..

Any new pubs open in that general area,

looking for some restaurant recommendations also...

Much appreciated!!

Meades and Arthur Maynes are both worth a visit if you like wine and a bite. Meades is on Oliver Plunkett St, Arthur Maynes just off it. Lovely nosh in Orso next door too and they are open late on weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The restaurant downstairs in the clarion is getting good reviews. (Oysters) Not been there myself yet. It's a "nice" place though, so priced with that in mind.

Greene's is still good. If you are adventurous with food, Ivory Tower is great. If not adventurous, your worst nightmare. :)

Italee and market lane on oliver plunkett street are good for lunch.

Thanks to all for the suggestions...looking forward to returning to Cork always have a great time there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Food: Jacobs on the Mall, Greenes, Electric (restaurant upstairs).

Pubs: Electric, The Raven, The Woodford (late night bar).

Clubs: The Bowery is the best at the moment for over25's crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I'll be in cork Saturday night, can you give me your recommendations for somewhere for me and my boyfriend to go in the city ?

Thanking you in advance:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Star Anise, Bridge Street.
    You'd need to get your skates on and book, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I'll look it up now, thank you :)

Hi Michellie,

I was in this position 2 weeks ago !! My wife and I were in Cork for the weekend and looking for restaurant recommendations.

We ate in Greenes and Jacobs on the Mall, as were recommended by posters on here. Both were EXCELLENT!!!!!!

Had brekkie and lunch in Amiccus and pints and cocktails in Electric Bar.

Electric bar is really nice

LOVE GOING TO CORK...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

My family and I met up a few weeks ago....

We went to Currans... http://www.curranscork.com/

It's on Adelaide Street.

Food was gorgeous....Well worth a visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

This is a great idea!! A thread about restaurants...!!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TwoTokeTommy

I was in The Bierhalle recently and was quite impressed. My buddy goes there with his girlfriend quite a bit, food is good and very well priced.
    http://www.thebierhallecork.com/

Star Anise is supposed to be excellent alright if you wanna spend a bit more.

I wouldn't rate Currans or Amiccus anything but average.

Gosh, depends what kind of food you like Michelle.

If you are into trying new things and being adventurous with food, then Ivory Tower is great for that. It will scare the pants off anyone who likes the meat, spud, veg thing though.

Best Dim Sum in the city is hands down Yuan Ming Yuan.

Casual cork food (get the tripe!) is Electric. Great view too.

Love greenes, expensive again.

Haven't been there yes, but Oysters in the Clarion hotel is getting great reviews. Seafood mostly there.

I know it's not an authentic mexican, but I go to cafe mexicana just for the nachos, margharitas and mexican grandma cake.

Bierhalle I like. Especially if you like fancy beers. :)

El Vino in the eslysian is a wine bar with nice things to eat. Service can be patchy. Boqueria I like too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Went in there for the first time recently having heard rave reviews about the place.
    I have to say I was bitterly disappointed.
    The food was ok in fairness if somewhat minimalist (in the extreme!).The Menu I thought was poor enough, the waitress reeled off 4 or 5 extras that were on, juggling between the set menus and the a la carte, which did nothing but serve to confuse us both. How hard is it to print these off on a separate sheet?
    The table we had was practically in darkness, illuminated only by the tealight/candle in a lamp style holder. I have 20/20 vision but had to hold the menu under the light from the candle just to read it. I also like to see what I'm eating, which was almost impossible. Somewhere along the way the fine line between ambiance and comfort got lost.
    Service was fine, efficient - but just didn't feel personal enough. It was a Wednesday night so was only moderately busy so rushed off their feet was never going to be an excuse. I actually didn't see the staff engage with any of their customers other than to take their orders and give the 'everything ok' follow up.
    As it was our '25th Anniversary Dinner' both of us left feeling extremely underwhelmed. :(

I'm not going to recommend anywhere now lest it looks like schilling but suffice to say that I honestly couldn't recommend the place unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 noddyname

Few of us girls were in Cork for a weekend not so long ago and ate in Strasbourg Goose, fantastic value, 3 courses for €20 but would recommend booking quickly. We also had the early bird at Greenes, and while I've eaten there several times before we found it only average on this visit - the attitude from the host at the door when we arrived might have taken the shine off the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭angeline

Highly recommend the Ambassador for its Chinese food and lovely restaurant. Other places are Soho, Club Brasserie, Strasbourg Goose, El Vino (under the Elyssian), Jacques which is very central and very good food.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Really liked El Vino the last night we went for a meal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

kcb wrote: »
    This is a great idea!! A thread about restaurants...!!

Apparently it is far too much hassle to create a sticky!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

My OH and I will be spending an evening in Cork for a small getaway before our first baby is born. Looking for a nice restaurant but something not too pricey. Would be open to any and all suggestions! :)

• Advertisement

What kind of food do you like?

Market Lane is nice and not too pricey.
    Upstairs in The Electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

pwurple wrote: »

Not too fussy- my OH wouldn't go for Italian or sushi since he is a meat and potatoes kind of guy! I though am a big fan of all kinds of stuff- love trying new things :)
    Thanks for the recommendation, will Google it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

There are so many threads on this already if you do a search. I'm not good with numbers, but I'd say there's about 10 billion previous threads.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Rachineire wrote: »

Not too fussy- my OH wouldn't go for Italian or sushi since he is a meat and potatoes kind of guy! I though am a big fan of all kinds of stuff- love trying new things :)

During the week the Strasbourg goose do a really good early bird. €20 for 3 course and you can swap starter or desert for a glass of wine or a bottle of beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

I can recommend Currans .... http://www.curranscork.com/

Was out with My family a while back...Lovely food there..

Defo worth a look..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭endswell

Faith wrote: »
    There are so many threads on this already if you do a search. I'm not good with numbers, but I'd say there's about 10 billion previous threads.
    so what. point of a forum is that its current. every one might rave about a particular restaurant 2 months ago but a change of chef could change everything. sure by your rationale why even use boards when heres tripadvisor or menupages with 15 billion entries.

i second market lane. class food

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

should there really not be just one thread for all these places to eat in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

horgan_p wrote: »
    Rachineire wrote: »

During the week the Strasbourg goose do a really good early bird. €20 for 3 course and you can swap starter or desert for a glass of wine or a bottle of beer.

Was in Strasbourg goose twice , first time was 2 couples , guy in other couple sells some food to them . Service was fantastic , almost falling over us to impress despite fact it was full . 10/10 .

Second time , far different experience , only at the end of the meal were we asked if were ok for everything ?

One of only two tables in use as it was start of trading day . Got one portion of chips despite ordering two steaks with chips . Certainly would not go back on our own .

5/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Milly33 wrote: »
    should there really not be just one thread for all these places to eat in cork

I have asked for a sticky a number of times but have been ignored. It's not rocket science after all

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

gimmick wrote: »
    I have asked for a sticky a number of times but have been ignored. It's not rocket science after all

It hasn't been ignored. I tried it when I moderated the forum, and you didn't like my criteria. I unstickied it in the end because people just kept creating new threads on the topic anyway.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056189950

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement