Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I went to Strasbourg Goose a few weeks back with my parents and was very impressed with the quality and value for money - lovely staff there and a nice cozy setting for a meal.

Went to 14A last night with some friends - my 2nd time there and once again very happy with the value and quality. Their Bruscetta was well worth a mention and staff were very nice once again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Oysters was impressive. we had a great time. Nice touches like a herb butter and fish pate included with the breads. Seafood chowder was delicious, it had samphire and tomato in it I think. I'd go back just for that chowder. The atmosphere was lovely. Tables are far enough apart that you can talk to your companions without hearing what the other tables are saying. Piano guy playing piano in the background... Staff were friendly, helped with suggestions when we couldn't decide. We didn't feel like we were waiting for any courses, but didn't feel rushed either. They kept topping up the bread and water.

There was only one bit I wasn't mad about. I didn't like a small part of the dessert with lavender in it. Tasted like soap to me! But everything else on the plate was yum.

It is a seafood restaurant, but they had duck and beef I think on the menu as well. We stuck to the fish.

Fairly expensive is the only thing, but judging by the way to place was full to the rafters, people seem happy to pay. They have an early-bird type menu, 4 courses for 35.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Can anyone recommend a restaurant in Cobh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

54kroc wrote: »

Try asking on the Cork County board.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Pabmac

54kroc wrote: »

Trade Winds Restaurant is supposed to be good. Due to go there soon. Got good reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

Monk's in Ballyvaughan did the same thing - ruined a lovely pub and created a not very nice restaurant.[/QUOTE]

I got monks and the one of the other places confused. Have to say you are defo right there. We called in Sunday for lunch and the atmosphere is cold and unfriendly. The food is in-consitant and way over priced. Tables even walked out while we were there..would not recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Not sure I'm in exactly the right thread here, but... I noticed the other night that Zaks on Marlboro st. has been replaced by a new restaurant that's sporting a "Mediterranean" menu and a new name. Sadly, I don't remember what the new name was, does anyone know? And has anyone been there yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Hi pwurple. Thanks for the feedback on Oysters. Bday coming up so that might very well be the plaice!!!

Loire wrote: »
    Hi pwurple. Thanks for the feedback on Oysters. Bday coming up so that might very well be the plaice!!!

*Groan* !!

*Groan* !!
    Couldn't resist!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

*Groan* !!

I think we'll be herring a lot more fishy puns.

cantdecide wrote: »

I think we'll be herring a lot more fishy puns.
    I'm only acting the Pollack!

Oh stop carping!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

nerwen wrote: »
    Not sure I'm in exactly the right thread here, but... I noticed the other night that Zaks on Marlboro st. has been replaced by a new restaurant that's sporting a "Mediterranean" menu and a new name. Sadly, I don't remember what the new name was, does anyone know? And has anyone been there yet?

Nosta. Offering "flavours of the mediterranean".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

evilivor wrote: »
    Nosta. Offering "flavours of the mediterranean".

Have you been? Thinking of going there tomorrow evening - is it expensive?

leahyl wrote: »
    Have you been? Thinking of going there tomorrow evening - is it expensive?

No. Only know the name etc from advertising spread in The Cork News which is here on the desk. They appear to have a lunch special for a tenner and a fillet steak is €23 - so dunno if that's expensive or not - depends on how the food is. They appear to be going the mezze, pidé, pizza wood burning stove route so it could do okay.

In other city centre food news - the newly opened Jam on Princes Street has closed temporarily for renovations - I expect they are putting in seating, which will be nice as they do really nice food there.

Think I'll try out their lunch tomorrow then. Thanks for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Think I'll try out their lunch tomorrow then. Thanks for the info!
    Be sure to let us know - saw the article in the Cork News and keen to try it out

So I just had lunch at Nosta and I was quite impressed. The menu is quite versatile with a lot of grilled varieties of chicken/lamb as well as pizza from the wood fired oven, a few salads and the meze selection. The kitchen is open, so you can watch everything while waiting for your food, which I quite like. I had lamb koftas and my friend had marinated lamb skewers (yeah, we're suckers for lamb), as well as a tzatziki on the side and a soft drink each, came to 27€ all together. The koftas were really good, spicy and moist, came with strips of house made bread, salad, a small pot of yogurt like dip and choice of rice or fries. My friend's skewers were absolutely amazing though, even pink in the center and so tender.

They do a 10€ lunch deal with pizza or pida/turkish pizza and a drink, which I will definitely go back for.

Only thing I wasn't impressed with was the tzatziki which was really just greek yogurt, not much else to it. Or perhaps I'm just too used to overdosing on garlic when I make it myself. :p

So I just had lunch at Nosta and I was quite impressed.

Was it busy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

Nice to see the building being used again. I liked Zaks cheap and cheerfull. Will have to have a night out to visit the new place

evilivor wrote: »
    Was it busy?

When my friend and I got there we were the only ones, but before we got our food it was almost full, so yes. :) This was at 12-12:30.

When my friend and I got there we were the only ones, but before we got our food it was almost full, so yes. :) This was at 12-12:30.

Good to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Myself and my friend were thinking of going to Nosta yesterday evening but when we got there we had a look at the menu and it seemed pretty pricy for a meal midweek (for us) - like we might have tried it if we were going out for dinner on a sat night with the girls but during the week for something quick and reasonably priced we decided not to. There was only 2 people in there too so it didn't look very inviting. I would like to try it though at the weekend at some stage and see what it's like, when it's a bit busier perhaps.

We went to Uncle Petes on Paul Street instead - it was yummy. Small cesar salad to start followed by Hawaiian Special 'pizza for one' and a glass of Ballyhoura Apple Juice for 14.50. Very reasonable I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Where is Nosta ? Sounds amazing !

On Marlboro st. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭sporina

had dinner in there today,.

the food was ok but my god the over riding factor was the draught in the place!!! Unless this place is renovated, it will never succeed me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

sporina wrote: »
    had dinner in there today,.

the food was ok but my god the over riding factor was the draught in the place!!! Unless this place is renovated, it will never succeed me thinks.

Oh no :o Was thinking of trying it but I hate cold restaurants, it really takes away from every other part of the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Malari wrote: »
    Oh no :o Was thinking of trying it but I hate cold restaurants, it really takes away from every other part of the experience.

I'm taking my momma for dinner next weekend and she has suggested this place! So I guess I'll be trying it soon :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Went to The Barn on Friday. Really really nice. Pricey, but very nice.

Only drawback of the place is it is gotten shabby. Its clean and all that, but it really needs a bit of updating.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement