Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does your name say about your parents?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Guys, you're more on the right track now, but still nobody's got it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭wurzlitzer

My name just shows that my dad was sports mad, my mum had a few names picked out, but my dad insisted i was going to be called after this famous sportsperson, who was famous in the seventies.

I still get to this day " did you there was a famous X called Y" not for long mind you life is passing me by.

i always reply " was there?" feigning ignorance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

The Beckhams named one of their kids after the place he was conceived - Brooklyn.

It's not a new fad though - my parents weren't totally sure where I was conceived, so they named me after the place where they liked to have sex a lot.

It was tough growing up with the name Anus.

Pffft. Try being called CopperFaceJacks Smoking Area. Mind you, there were three of us in the class so it wasn't so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Dudess wrote: »
    Guys, you're more on the right track now, but still nobody's got it! :D
    Its BOB

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Nobody's guessed it yet. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Reminds me of that joke about the Tallaght bird who named her 6 son's Anto. When a woman asked her if it ever got confusing she said, "No, it's deadly. When i want them in for tea I just go to the door and roar ANTO !! and they all come running".
    The woman then asked,"but what if you want to call them individually ?" "Ah, thats easy aswell" she replied. "I just call them by their surnames".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

They're unoriginal, Aoife was the most popular name up 1992.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Mine says my parents were indecisive. The morning I was going to be christened my father said to my mother "why don't you name him after your father?". The name I was christened and that I've gone by all my life (apart from the first few weeks before I was christened) doesn't appear anywhere on my birth certificate.

This can be confusing because if I ever sign anything official I have to go by the name I was christened and not the name I use everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

My name says that my parents were living in the US a LONG time, and with a view to me one day fitting in in Ireland, they named me the kind of thing they mistakenly believed Irish people named their daughters.

the did exactly the same to my sister, a more obvious pair of irish-american girls names you could not hope to meet

Colleen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Latchy wrote: »

Chelsea ?
    Nope, that would be more the 5-10 year olds. Mines a wee bit classier than that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Lol at Kiera and Phasers' parents' approach... :pac:

Nobody's guessed it yet. :p

Mairéad then.

peasant wrote: »
    My parents were very thoughtful when they named me. They took great care to take a name that was short, easy to pronounce and spell, couldn't be mangled by well meaning relatives or ridiculed by not so well meaning nasty kids in school, was reasonably contemporary and not associated with anyone too famous for the wrong or right reasons.

They only made one minor omission in their considerations ...my name doesn't travel outside of German speaking countries and especially in English it is a complete clusterf*ck in both spelling and pronounciation, even though it's just three harmless letters :D

Uwe? As in Boll?
    My name says that my parents were living in the US a LONG time, and with a view to me one day fitting in in Ireland, they named me the kind of thing they mistakenly believed Irish people named their daughters.

the did exactly the same to my sister, a more obvious pair of irish-american girls names you could not hope to meet

Colleen and Erin. Or is one of you Shannon?

I was called after my recently deceased grandfather. Nothing too original in that, but I've no objections to the name or the reason behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Luxie wrote: »
    Colleen?

Nice

but more american than that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Nice

but more american than that...

Kaitlin/Caitlin/Kathleen

Buceph wrote: »
    Kaitlin/Caitlin/Kathleen

More american. Those names would have allowed me to not stick out like a sore thumb in the 80s in Celbridge - of course my accent would still be a give away...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

My Dad wanted Michael, my Mam wanted something Irish, they compromised with Stephen and told me so to my face.

Straight talking, my folks. :P

Colleen and Erin. Or is one of you Shannon?

Sorry, missed this completely. Well done - Erin. and my sister is Shannon.

Seriously, what the ****

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Uwe? As in Boll?

Oo I know an Uwe :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Dionysus wrote: »
    This all makes me want to scream. Why in the name of Christ are so many Irish parents (my own included) so dim and creatively challenged that they have Pat, Mary, Mick, David, Paul, Peter, John, Anne, Sarah, Margaret and the rest of them plastered on kids generation after generation. You can respect your relatives without inflicting their usually staid and boring names upon your children in supposed "honour" of them. Fact.

a name is a fucking name, how the fuck can it be boring?

"creatively challenged". jesus wept.
    :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

aDeener wrote: »
    a name is a fucking name, how the fuck can it be boring?

"creatively challenged". jesus wept.
    :rolleyes:

Settle down John, it's only a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

My Mum was a Cagney & Lacey fan so named me after the actress Sharon Gless. My middle name is Marie, because the ward she was in while having me was St. Marie's Ward. I don't know why, but my sister and I have the same initials - S.M.M.

I know 2 little girls called Rihanna, a Talita, Tanisha, Nikita, Kylie, Teighan, Bronwyn, and a heap of Ryans, Noahs, Jacks and Dylans. I called my son after an old Western movie.

I always liked my name - until The Snapper was released. If I had a cent for every time I was asked how Mr. Burgess was, I'd be minted. Cheers, Roddy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 freefone

I got my name by my parents pointing a finger in calendar (in the country im caming from we celebrate name-days, like in old church calendars), they didnt put any thought in it. And honestly i always felt bad with my name - used nickname in school and now i feel happy been called "darling" and "mummy".
    Worst was with my brother - my mum really wanted one name, she was calling her bump in that name, when spoke with baby-to-be. But then her mother-in-law insisted that baby must be named in name my mum hated. I still cant believe what kind a pussy my father was - he pretended to go for walk and came back with birth certificate - he named baby in the name his mother wanted. (they did tried to change it, but couldnt)

For my own kids - we did had some ideas, but at the end we couldnt agree on one name, on the way to hospital, stopped at trafic lights and it just cliked - name we didnt though about before and we both loved it. Last baby got her name only next day, cause we werent sure if it perfect for her (and it is).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I love my name I was called after my two Grannies, they took them both, shortened one and came up with a lovely name, that even though I have to repeat it a lot, I wouldn't change or shorten.
    My plan is to do the same if I ever have a daughter, she will be called after her two grannies, and we've agreed a boy will have to stick with the 200 year old tradition in his family of a choice of two for eldest son, but we're going with an Irish version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

If people read out my full name you would swear i was a loyalist.. but was named after grandparent and great uncle so cant really complain too much just unlucky!!

could be worse i know a bloke whose middle name is mary:eek::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

major bill wrote: »
    could be worse i know a bloke whose middle name is mary:eek::pac:

So do I!! He was christened in the mid 80s and his parents weren't going to bother with a second name. The old priest who was doing the christening insisted on a middle name and picked Mary himself. I remember at school, we were in around 3rd class and we were all asked our middle names. When it got to the poor lad the class erupted and the name has stuck with him ever since. I've always wondered why he didn't just lie...

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

Gay Byrne's middle name is Mary.

Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

My parents are idiots, Natalie means born at xmas, I was born in February!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

My father wanted to call me Margerita!! My mother won the battle to name me Denise because my older sister was already called Margaret. They say I'm named after my mothers uncle Dennis. He was a mechanic and one day when he went on his lunch break he had a fag and forgot about the oil all over his hands! He ended up setting himself on fire and burnt to death...very creepy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Pocketfizz wrote: »
    My father wanted to call me Margerita!! My mother won the battle to name me Denise because my older sister was already called Margaret. They say I'm named after my mothers uncle Dennis. He was a mechanic and one day when he went on his lunch break he had a fag and forgot about the oil all over his hands! He ended up setting himself on fire and burnt to death...very creepy.

Your father was once in love with a woman named Margaret/Margerita. any aunts or family friends by that name ????? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

My brother is called Donal. He worked in England for a while. They kept calling him Donnell. He was asked one day by a girl in HR how it was spelled.

"It's like Donald but without the d"

"What, Onald?"

True story

This did not really happen to your brother, did it?

If so, huge coincidence that it also happened on a recent reality tv programme!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That they are lord of the rings nerds :mad:

Advertisement