Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does your name say about your parents?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

bluewolf wrote: »
    You said you were named after christmas day until you went to st stephens shopping centre. I'm just asking wtf :confused:

Think he meant to write 'the day after Christmas day' and just added in a comma for the craic. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

He was captain.
    Bobby , Bryan , Rio .....There's loads of em :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

liah wrote: »
    Think he meant to write 'the day after Christmas day' and just added in a comma for the craic. :p

Eh...
    oh :o
    Makes a little bit more sense now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Latchy wrote: »
    Bobby , Bryan , Rio .....There's loads of em :D

Ya it was Robson so not too bad. Glad I wasn't Rio.

bluewolf wrote: »
    You said you were named after christmas day until you went to st stephens shopping centre. I'm just asking wtf :confused:
    I never mentioned st stephens shopping centre at all ( Stephens green )

Day after christmas day is boxing day / St Stephens day and that shopping centre wasn't even there when I was born ,never mind being open on that day .....:p

liah wrote: »
    Sorted ...sure what's an ol comma anyhows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I was given the name Dave. Rather unimaginative. If I ever have a son though he'll be named Thelonious, and he'll like it.

Kiera wrote: »
    Boxing.....:P
    Boxing ? ...you not out swimming tonight ? :p

Daddio wrote: »
    I was given the name Dave. Rather unimaginative. If I ever have a son though he'll be named Thelonious, and he'll like it.
    Thel sounds cool .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Dudess wrote: »
    None of the above. And more boggerish. :pac:

Curiousty has piqued now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

My parents didn't actually name me, my grandad did. Thank fuck for that. My mum wanted to call me Eimear and I'm not mad about Irish names so I'm glad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

oh! as for near misses - mam gave a lot of thought to Petrovna (russian) - my name is petra as i mentioned (thanks be to jaysus - cos i got enough stick with that!)
    grandad decided himself to call me Petronella - no one seemed capable of sticking to 'petra' when i was a kid!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Lol at Kiera and Phasers' parents' approach... :pac:
    The-Rigger wrote: »
    Curiousty has piqued now.
    Nobody's guessed it yet. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭HoneyRyder

I have a daughter and her name is Lauryn, but if she had of been a boy i would have called her Jocky!!

To make sure he got the roide?!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Koshea

(Stay with me here)

I'm named after my Godfather.

But for some unknown reason while his full name is Mark Andrew Higgins* he was called Andrew Higgins instead of Mark (which would be his first name) by his parents.

So my parents followed suit and I am Mark Andrew Mooney** But instead of being Mark Mooney I was called Andrew Mooney too.

I was Andrew up until my late teens/college years when I moved away from home and this got shortened to Andy Mooney.

Now any official Government/Tax/Passport etc paperwork I receive is addressed to Mark Mooney or Mark Andrew Mooney as this is what appears on my birth cert. Meanwhile my driving license is for an Andy Mooney as I filled out the form not really thinking about it while my passport is for Mark Mooney. All bank statements, my credit cards are for Mark Mooney as most documents/proof of identity have this name on them. So everyone assumes my name is Mark.

My parents and people from my home town know me as Andrew while everyone I know in my new home city know me as Andy. Girlfriend, work colleagues, friends etc. Any crossover of these people leads to confusion and slagging of me and my alias.

The first time I booked a flight with Ryanair I spent 20 minutes trying to convince the check in lady that yes I was both Andy and Mark Mooney. I booked flight on line for Andy Mooney, passport is for Mark Mooney.... Have not made that mistake again!

Bottom line from the above cluster fúck is that on any given day I can be addressed as either Mark, Andrew or Andy depending on who you are and from what stage of my life you know me.

Head frazzled from reading above and trying to understand it?? Welcome to my world...

My parents should be shot.

*Not his actual name
    **Not my actual name

(26 odd years ago) (Apparently) the registrar comes into the room, "well have you picked a name yet?" As my older sister is named after my mother, mum asks what the Irish for my father's name is. Registrar tells her the irish translation and she signs me up.
    10 minutes later, in pops Dad with a big book of Irish names, "lets call him Séamus*" instead of explaining the situation Mum just nods, smiles and probably goes back to sleep.

Cue a couple of years being called one first name in college/on passport, a different name on bank accounts/local friends/work colleagues and the english version of my fathers name by a select few.

I feel your pain Mr. Bear

*Not my real/second/irish version name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

I'm Niamh, which is ok but a bit boring,but it's the reason why every German I've met so far thinks I'm Eygptian so...:D
    Was nearly called Dolores or Liodain(sp?) though, thank f**k my mum saw sense.

Dudess - is it Bridie, Mary, Philomena, Bridget, Esther,Agnes,Beatrice?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

My parents were very thoughtful when they named me. They took great care to take a name that was short, easy to pronounce and spell, couldn't be mangled by well meaning relatives or ridiculed by not so well meaning nasty kids in school, was reasonably contemporary and not associated with anyone too famous for the wrong or right reasons.

They only made one minor omission in their considerations ...my name doesn't travel outside of German speaking countries and especially in English it is a complete clusterf*ck in both spelling and pronounciation, even though it's just three harmless letters :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Dudess - is it Bridie, Mary, Philomena, Bridget?
    Noop. :)

Maybe it's not as auld one bogger as I thought - it's fairly young one bogger though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

peasant wrote: »
    My parents were very thoughtful when they named me. They took great care to take a name that was short, easy to pronounce and spell, couldn't be mangled by well meaning relatives or ridiculed by not so well meaning nasty kids in school, was reasonably contemporary and not associated with anyone too famous for the wrong or right reasons.

They only made one minor omission in their considerations ...my name doesn't travel outside of German speaking countries and especially in English it is a complete clusterf*ck in both spelling and pronounciation, even though it's just three harmless letters :D

What is it??

german names are weird :eek:

I can't figure out dudess' one :pac:
    is it mary
    or brigid
    or sinead
    or um... i duno
    kate? cait?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I reckon it's Eimear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

My first name is from the name of a character in a book my mam was reading when she was pregnant. My middle name is the name of the author. She wanted it to be a double-barrelled first name but my dad said no. It's extremely English, they lived in London at the time. We moved home when I was 3, by the time I went to school I already had a bogger accent so the pretty little English girl's name has never really suited me. It's as common as muck these days among 10-15 year olds, at least I got there first. I never liked it when I was younger, I think I've grown into it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

My name says that my parents were living in the US a LONG time, and with a view to me one day fitting in in Ireland, they named me the kind of thing they mistakenly believed Irish people named their daughters.

the did exactly the same to my sister, a more obvious pair of irish-american girls names you could not hope to meet

• Advertisement

For Dudess I'm going with Cliona
    It's as common as muck these days among 10-15 year olds, at least I got there first. I never liked it when I was younger, I think I've grown into it though.
    Chelsea ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

mine says that my parents wanted to set me up for a lifetime of people messing up my name and calling me all sorts of stupid things instead! I've never had anyone not like it though, at least its somewhat unique

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Dudess wrote: »
    Noop. :)

Maybe it's not as auld one bogger as I thought - it's fairly young one bogger though.

Aine
    Theresa
    Shauna
    Grainne
    Ailish
    Hannah
    Siobhan
    Alanna
    Dervla
    Eileen
    Neasa
    Roisin
    Sorcha
    Orla

It has to be there somewhere! I like playing guess the name. :pac:

[I made more guesses on pg. 8]

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It says my parents weren't very original, and that they hadn't discovered Irish names yet (both younger siblings have Irish names).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

My name means translates to "free man". It's the name of my grandfather, and is a popular name where my dad is from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭starling.

Both my brother and I were named after grandparents.

...so I guess they liked their parents? Meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Took a very common Irish name and spelled it the non-irish way. Idiots. My surname is pretty rare though so I just go by it generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I've the same name as 2 close neighbours, i've never really thought about that before, i must ask them about that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

the_syco wrote: »
    My name means translates to "free man". It's the name of my grandfather, and is a popular name where my dad is from.

Morgan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

I was going to be called Kelly-Anne - dodged an awful bullet there. I quite like my name :)

For Dudess, I'm thinking Josephine, Maureen or Sharon. Or Assumpta

Advertisement