Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does your name say about your parents?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

my name tells me my parents had the intelligence to not listen to my grandad who wanted them to call me Iver * shudders *

and also there seems to be a laziness of slipping david in somewhere for all the lads in my family, it's my dad's,my grandad's, my cousin's name and my own and a few other cousins' middle name. lazy side of the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Alessandra wrote: »
    My mother is fairly into the Irish language so we all got Irish names. Mine is clearly not Alessandra.
    I love my name and the meaning behind it although it's hard for non-natives to pronounce if they read it on paper.

Lasairfhíona ??
    Clíodhna ??
    Saoirse ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

It's not exactly quantum physics in fairness. You're known by your second name, like millions of other people.

Ya, thanks Einstein.

I did not claim it was quantum physics. Just trying to convey that it makes a lot of the little things harder for me and the millions of others like me too of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Lasairfhíona ??

Surely a makey uppy name?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

Petra - supposedly after my dad (Peter - Petra is the female version) and the eternal city called Petra. which ive never been to although i was in a tiny place called petra in spain and my god.... a dump.
    when i was a teen i wrote fanmail to Terry Pratchett - who wrote back and his letter started with 'i like your name Petra, were you named after the eternal city or perhaps.... the blue peter dog?!' - i love his humour and his discy books!

all in all i like the name - tis unusual here (not in some places mind you) - so i think the folks gave it ample thought
    i completely abhorred being called Petrol as a kid (and later Diesel) it was so bloody stupid and unimaginative. at least when they started calling me Armadillo it meant someone fired off a few brain cells to come up with it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 superleeds16

I have a daughter and her name is Lauryn, but if she had of been a boy i would have called her Jocky!! She will never regret being a girl!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

rebel10 wrote: »
    Aron is quite a nice name. I know a couple who named their 7 children names beginning with E, in honour of the king. The youngest kids names just sound made up.

I don't mind my name, just who it was after even though as a young person I've nothing against Elvis....strange :pac:
    Luxie wrote: »
    I know someone who's name is actually Elvis.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

My name is Aoife. Seeing as I was born in London they probably thought they were being cool and oirish. But then it turned out many, many girls were named Aoife in this country in that year. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭silverspoon

Aishae wrote: »
    Petra - supposedly after my dad (Peter - Petra is the female version) and the eternal city called Petra. which ive never been to although i was in a tiny place called petra in spain and my god.... a dump.
    when i was a teen i wrote fanmail to Terry Pratchett - who wrote back and his letter started with 'i like your name Petra, were you named after the eternal city or perhaps.... the blue peter dog?!' - i love his humour and his discy books!

all in all i like the name - tis unusual here (not in some places mind you) - so i think the folks gave it ample thought
    i completely abhorred being called Petrol as a kid (and later Diesel) it was so bloody stupid and unimaginative. at least when they started calling me Armadillo it meant someone fired off a few brain cells to come up with it :pac:

Petra is a really cool name! Much better than mine, which was in the list of boring bogger names mentioned earlier in the thread. My grandmother and two aunts (one on each side) all have my name, so to differentiate, my middle name is used with my first name in a double barrel, which is hideously irritating. Thankfully only by people on my dad's side of the family. I'm determined to break the tradition and call my kids things like Esperanto and Sapphire and stuff like that.

My mother has an interestingly Jewish name though, could carry that one on, confident that few others will share it. She hates her name so I think my boring one was a backlash against it. She was the youngest in her family, so maybe my Nana just ran out of ideas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

That they were lazy fúckers! They called me the Irish version of my sisters name. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

That'd be a cool name actually! ive heard it before through watching the golf on tv. Hunter hass/Hunter Mahan.
    Bet your sorry you werent born with a pair of balls now:pac:

This is the Hunter she would've named me for.

I wish she'd named me it anyway. Guys get all the cool stuff. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

Petra is a really cool name! Much better than mine, which was in the list of boring bogger names mentioned earlier in the thread. My grandmother and two aunts (one on each side) all have my name, so to differentiate, my middle name is used with my first name in a double barrel, which is hideously irritating. Thankfully only by people on my dad's side of the family. I'm determined to break the tradition and call my kids things like Esperanto and Sapphire and stuff like that.

My mother has an interestingly Jewish name though, could carry that one on, confident that few others will share it. She hates her name so I think my boring one was a backlash against it. She was the youngest in her family, so maybe my Nana just ran out of ideas!

Snap, I get my middle name tagged on to my first name by my dad's side of the family, as there are a few of us with the same first name.

Anastasia is a name that crops up in my family, I have an aunt by that name and some cousins with is as a middle name, seeing as they seem to call kids after grandparents in my family, maybe I'm part Russian or something. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

liah wrote: »
    This is the Hunter she would've named me for.
    Yeah! he's pretty ugly alright!

I wish she'd named me it anyway. Guys get all the cool stuff. :pac:
    Yeah! the next time the 'whats your middle name'? question comes up in whatever conversation im just gonna flat out lie my arse off and say my middle name is hunter. Sounds better than

@ anyway!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

Apparently I'm named after a character in 80s American TV show Falcon Crest (and, luckily, my name's a little classier than that suggests! Could've gone very wrong!) It must've been pretty popular in my area back in the day because there's a good few girls around my age with the same name or a variation - which is a bit weird coz I very rarely meet anyone with the name anywhere else (but it's not that unusual). My mam likes to tell me that the second choice name she had was Pricilla:eek: So either I had a lucky escape or she's taking the piss.

There's a guy a friend knows in Monaghan called Diego Maradona...and, more recently, I suspect there's tons of kids called Steven Gerrard. Good thing I never became a teenage mother coz I loved all sorts of mad names back then - there would've been an Arista Amani or something running around:p

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭snooleen

Kelley...my dad happened to be flicking through the TV guide while they were deciding on my name. And so, the idea sprung from some actress from Top Gun, except with an extra 'e' :S

It says that they got lazy after the first two kids, is what it says!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Dionysus wrote: »
    And then there's that subculture in a certain city in Ireland that has exchanged Bernadette, Anthony, Paul, Rose-Violet, Attracta, Dympna, Jacinta and the rest of them for Jade, Shakira, Justin, Shannen, Chloe, Shania and Jessica. Talk about socio-economic-geographical giveaway names.
    The absolute best I have heard yet in real life was "Destiny"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

As a child I was chuffed to know that I was named the day after christmas day .Then one day I walked through St Stephens Green and the penny dropped .

Double whammys hard to take as kid :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Latchy wrote: »
    As a child I was chuffed to know that I was named after the day , after christmas day .Then one day I walked through St Stephens Green and the penny dropped .

Double whammys hard to take as kid :pac:

you were named after christmas day? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Unoriginal, unimaginative, overly traditional. Got saddled with the commonest of common Irish names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

bluewolf wrote: »

Boxing.....:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

The absolute best I have heard yet in real life was "Destiny"
    I know a little boy called Talent!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

My brother's name is Daniel O'Donnell so at least they'd a sence of humour lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

bluewolf wrote: »
    Dont think I was christened on boxing day ..no

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I could have been called Stanley, after the cooker at home that my dad loves :rolleyes: But, sadly the son he was expecting turned out to be a daughter.... :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

It says they couldn't be bothered reading beyond the first couple of pages of the 'baby name' book. All that's saved me from a life of disappointment is that they named my older sister a feminised version of my dad's very masculine name that really doesn't work and is just a bloke's name with a couple of extra letters tagged on the end :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Was named after a Man United player. Don't mind the name so much but can't stand United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

Was named after a Man United player. Don't mind the name so much but can't stand United.
    Cool! which one? give us a clue!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Stiffler's Mom...hee hee.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Cool! which one? give us a clue!

He was captain.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Latchy wrote: »
    Dont think I was christened on boxing day ..no

You said you were named after christmas day until you went to st stephens shopping centre. I'm just asking wtf :confused:

Advertisement