Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does your name say about your parents?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

I know a couple who called their twins Jack and John so that says alot about the parents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

My mum was a bit of a legend, a bit of a rock chick, she went to see Jimi Hendrix and was into all those acts when she lived in England as a youngster, so I have a pretty funky rock name! I likes it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I have the same name as my father, plus everyone always says how much I look and act like him.....

I'm a clone! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭cianl1

rebel10 wrote: »
    My name says that my parents went through a phase of loving ancient Irish names, but soon got over it when a year and a half later my sister was born, they gave her an anglo name.

This.

Also, my mam pinched my name from a conversation she overheard from two women in the same hospital who were discussing baby names! Talk about original.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

My name probably comes from an old western movie.
    Hopefully anyway, because there's no other interesting twist to put on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

dave1982 wrote: »
    4 generations of David :rolleyes:
    Me too
    but the ****ers gave my dinny and larry as middle name so i hate them for that

i've got 4 sisters and they all got good irish names
    i'm stuck with ****ty David
    and i hate when they call me David
    i've started ignoring them until they say Dave :D

KeithM89 wrote: »
    That my parents hated me as soon as
    i burst out of my mothers ass.

WTF were you doing in her ass ???????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Dudess wrote: »
    None of the above. And more boggerish. :pac:
    Briege or Ann or...Kathleen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

J. Marston wrote: »
    My name probably comes from an old western movie.
    Hopefully anyway, because there's no other interesting twist to put on it.

Shane! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

my brother was nearly called Carlos after Santana,my Da was such a hippy!

could you imagine being from Coolock and called Carlos!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Aaron

lazy and/or Elvis fans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Padie

i dunno about what my name says about my parents "Padraig", but what i do know is that 9 months and 2 weeks before i was born, i was lazy even then, was feb 14th. and a fun, yet scarring game is looking around about 9 months before you were born and what special occasion occured! if was just regular day then your parents are randy basterds or you were planned.....my money is on the first!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Concepta Josephine??? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

It's Sheila, Margaret, Bridgit or Bríd!

My second name was meant to be my first but for a last minute veto from my mother cos it sounds like a gay spaniards name.

So instead I got Dave...

Twenty times a day "Awight Dave!" in a Trigger voice

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I detest my middle name, it's sooooooo horrible, if anyone asks me it, I always give them the Irish version which is more pleasing on the ear.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

Padie wrote: »
    i dunno about what my name says about my parents "Padraig", but what i do know is that 9 months and 2 weeks before i was born, i was lazy even then, was feb 14th. and a fun, yet scarring game is looking around about 9 months before you were born and what special occasion occured! if was just regular day then your parents are randy basterds or you were planned.....my money is on the first!:D

For some reason, my employers publish whose birthday it is on any given day on the interweb. There is a huge number of us born on 15 November.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

I detest my middle name, it's sooooooo horrible, if anyone asks me it, I always give them the Irish version which is more pleasing on the ear.

I remember in secondary school the school secretary would come by to check all our FULL names.

I used so dread that.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I detest my middle name

I don't have a middle name and when I tell people that, they just assume it's embarrassing and I'm lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I love my name!!!! Both my parents are known by their second names and shortened so their plan was to give me one that couldn't be. It's Aileen. My only problem is I hate Eileen, so correct everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

I was named after my father and my two middle names were chosen to appease my mothers parents. Pretty pathetic really. When I have children they will be given a name all of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

amtc wrote: »
    I love my name!!!! Both my parents are known by their second names and shortened so their plan was to give me one that couldn't be. It's Aileen. My only problem is I hate Eileen, so correct everyone.

Stoooory, Ailo, stoooory?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Nobody in my family/relations has the same name as me, and I've never even met anybody with the same name as me either, which is maybe odd because it's not hugely unusual. I've heard it a few times on tv though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Fairly religious; Philip Andrew James (where the user name comes from ;))

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Mine's Aoife. My mam always said she liked the sound of it as it reminded her of fairies and other celtic bollix (I may be paraphrasing here, she would never say bollix :pac:). I dunno what that says about her, but I'm certain that I rather squashed her hopes of having a willowy, sophisticated daughter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

punchdrunk wrote: »
    my brother was nearly called Carlos after Santana,my Da was such a hippy!
    could you imagine being from Coolock and called Carlos!!!

I went to school with a dude named Carlos. No idea where the hell his parents came up with that one, both Irish and fairly normal as far as i could tell.

Imagine it, the grey, drab wet 80's in a bogger primary school in the Whest. Roll call was always fun, Michael, Paul, Liam, Padraig, Mary, Kevin, John, CARLOS!, Patricia, Caroline, Niamh....

Mind you we also had a Hayden a few years later on. His family moved over from England and I thought it was the most unusual exotic name I had ever heard as a repressed, RTE1+2 black and white tv watching, 8 year old child of the 1980's. And thats from someone who had a carlos in his class!

Ah they were simpler times. I think my head would have exploded if I had to deal with some of the Nigerian, Pakistani or Polish names around now....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Biddy ?

Mary Jo ?

Breege ?

Maura ?

Moira ?

Patricia?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

I'm a bloke and named after my mother. Thankfully she had a name that could be shortened to a fairly unisex name.
    Most of my siblings (there's a bag of us) are named after family members who my mam/dad respected.
    Does this make them egotistical cnuts?

I have a mate called "ocean" whose parents' eco-friendly credentials are beyond reproach.

I often tease him, saying," Look on the bright side man. They could have called you Fintan."

So, AHers, what does your name, if anything, say about your parents?

That they can spell.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

(Stay with me here)

I'm named after my Godfather.

But for some unknown reason while his full name is Mark Andrew Higgins* he was called Andrew Higgins instead of Mark (which would be his first name) by his parents.

So my parents followed suit and I am Mark Andrew Mooney** But instead of being Mark Mooney I was called Andrew Mooney too.

I was Andrew up until my late teens/college years when I moved away from home and this got shortened to Andy Mooney.

Now any official Government/Tax/Passport etc paperwork I receive is addressed to Mark Mooney or Mark Andrew Mooney as this is what appears on my birth cert. Meanwhile my driving license is for an Andy Mooney as I filled out the form not really thinking about it while my passport is for Mark Mooney. All bank statements, my credit cards are for Mark Mooney as most documents/proof of identity have this name on them. So everyone assumes my name is Mark.

My parents and people from my home town know me as Andrew while everyone I know in my new home city know me as Andy. Girlfriend, work colleagues, friends etc. Any crossover of these people leads to confusion and slagging of me and my alias.

The first time I booked a flight with Ryanair I spent 20 minutes trying to convince the check in lady that yes I was both Andy and Mark Mooney. I booked flight on line for Andy Mooney, passport is for Mark Mooney.... Have not made that mistake again!

Bottom line from the above cluster fúck is that on any given day I can be addressed as either Mark, Andrew or Andy depending on who you are and from what stage of my life you know me.

Head frazzled from reading above and trying to understand it?? Welcome to my world...

My parents should be shot.

*Not his actual name
    **Not my actual name

It's not exactly quantum physics in fairness. You're known by your second name, like millions of other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

My mother is fairly into the Irish language so we all got Irish names. Mine is clearly not Alessandra.
    I love my name and the meaning behind it although it's hard for non-natives to pronounce if they read it on paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

liah wrote: »
    Apparently, if I'd been born a boy, my mother would've named me Hunter (guess the reference.) I remain adamant she should've called me that anyway, because who wouldn't wanna be named after the good doctor? :p

I was named after the Roy Orbison song Leah. So I guess it says my mom likes really good oldies?

That'd be a cool name actually! ive heard it before through watching the golf on tv. Hunter hass/Hunter Mahan.
    Bet your sorry you werent born with a pair of balls now:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

(Stay with me here)

I'm named after my Godfather.

But for some unknown reason while his full name is Mark Andrew Higgins* he was called Andrew Higgins instead of Mark (which would be his first name) by his parents.

So my parents followed suit and I am Mark Andrew Mooney** But instead of being Mark Mooney I was called Andrew Mooney too.

I was Andrew up until my late teens/college years when I moved away from home and this got shortened to Andy Mooney.

Now any official Government/Tax/Passport etc paperwork I receive is addressed to Mark Mooney or Mark Andrew Mooney as this is what appears on my birth cert. Meanwhile my driving license is for an Andy Mooney as I filled out the form not really thinking about it while my passport is for Mark Mooney. All bank statements, my credit cards are for Mark Mooney as most documents/proof of identity have this name on them. So everyone assumes my name is Mark.

My parents and people from my home town know me as Andrew while everyone I know in my new home city know me as Andy. Girlfriend, work colleagues, friends etc. Any crossover of these people leads to confusion and slagging of me and my alias.

The first time I booked a flight with Ryanair I spent 20 minutes trying to convince the check in lady that yes I was both Andy and Mark Mooney. I booked flight on line for Andy Mooney, passport is for Mark Mooney.... Have not made that mistake again!

Bottom line from the above cluster fúck is that on any given day I can be addressed as either Mark, Andrew or Andy depending on who you are and from what stage of my life you know me.

Head frazzled from reading above and trying to understand it?? Welcome to my world...

My parents should be shot.

*Not his actual name
    **Not my actual name
    I knew a guy whose family did the same thing and used middle for first names.

Advertisement