Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I'm finding it hard to break 2k. I was going great and then I got sick so was out of the gym on medical advice. I'm back in the gym now but I started a new job so by the time I get there I am wrecked tired. I may need to try going earlier in the day.

Anywho. 2k. Yeay! *grumbles*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

sullivlo wrote: »
    I'm finding it hard to break 2k. I was going great and then I got sick so was out of the gym on medical advice. I'm back in the gym now but I started a new job so by the time I get there I am wrecked tired. I may need to try going earlier in the day.

Anywho. 2k. Yeay! *grumbles*

Try going back to intervals for a while maybe. Do 1.5k, walk for a bit, then do another 1.5k.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

vitani wrote: »
    Try going back to intervals for a while maybe. Do 1.5k, walk for a bit, then do another 1.5k.

The intervals kill me. I think I need to do a walk first and get breathless and then start running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Today I did 10k in 78 mins :) Delighted.

Amazing. This time next year I want to be you!

Day 1 of week 3 today. When yer wan on my podcast said it'd be a 3 minute run I nearly sloped off to the shop for cake and gave the whole thing up as a bad job but decided I needed to at least try. So I just paced myself, I have an awful habit of flying through my first run and being winded and pooped for the rest or <shame> speeding up if I'm passing by people who look like they run or <double shame> are hot </double shame> so they don't think "Back to your couch Porpoise Lady, you're embarrassing yourself with your slothsome waddle" </shame>. Keeping at a pace I could manage, even if it didn't make me feel like a gazelle, worked. Got through the whole thing with no stitches and no urges to chuck up.

First time I actually thought I might get to 5km some lovely day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Amazing. This time next year I want to be you!

Day 1 of week 3 today. When yer wan on my podcast said it'd be a 3 minute run I nearly sloped off to the shop for cake and gave the whole thing up as a bad job but decided I needed to at least try. So I just paced myself, I have an awful habit of flying through my first run and being winded and pooped for the rest or <shame> speeding up if I'm passing by people who look like they run or <double shame> are hot </double shame> so they don't think "Back to your couch Porpoise Lady, you're embarrassing yourself with your slothsome waddle" </shame>. Keeping at a pace I could manage, even if it didn't make me feel like a gazelle, worked. Got through the whole thing with no stitches and no urges to chuck up.

First time I actually thought I might get to 5km some lovely day :)

Ah now you've made me blush! Tbh I can't believe I did it, I'm not "that" person. I usually do a 4.5-5k route I stick to, for the last while I've been breaking in these insoles so just walking mostly, I have a nice rule for jogging/running that I prefer to follow now. Then last week I'd done about 5k and I was so sick of sitting at home for days on end I thought I'll do another bit to kill time, ending up doing 7k in total, unheard of before. Instead of thinking "right I must run now for 20 whole minutes" I run when I get a burst of wanting to do it, go as long as I can/want, and then go back to walking fast until I fancy running again. At about 6k today my thighs were like eh wtf is this why are we still going, then at about 8.5k I decided to run another bit and omg I was flying, delighted with myself.

If I can do it anyone can :) Oh yeah and on worrying that "proper" running people will judge your slow pace, I always think that people passing have no idea how long you've been out running for, so they can't judge you for how tired you look, if you look tired it means you've been working hard! I was fit to drop at 8k today, and thought "if anyone looks at me now they'll think I'm dying!", and it'd be a well deserved death at the side of the road too after my first 10k :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Oh yeah and on worrying that "proper" running people will judge your slow pace, I always think that people passing have no idea how long you've been out running for, so they can't judge you for how tired you look, if you look tired it means you've been working hard!

Good point! I have to remember that I'm not wearing a sign saying 'I only left the house 10 minutes ago, look how out of breath I am'

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

For all any randomer walking down the road knows, you could be at the end of your 20 mile marathon training long run! Don't worry what anyone else thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I think what stops me trying running/jogging out is how ridiculous I think I'll look, with my tomato red face and that everyone will be looking at me and laughing at how pathetic I am (How ridiculous is that!?) !:p I'm tempted to give it a go though. I skip as it is and I think I prefer that mainly because I don't have to be worried about people looking at me and judging. I think it's mainly that I am quite self conscious (my self esteem is not great tbh), or maybe paranoid is a better word.:o I might try it out though. My brother started running recently, and I kind of want to give it a whirl!

Omg, re-reading that, I sound crazy!!

Nobody will look at you and think "jaysus look at that big red face", if they think anything it'll be "fair play to her out running". If you're really worried though maybe run at night or first thing in the morning?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Precious flower, I jog wearing bright pink tracksuit bottoms and I'm sure my face is nearly the same colour, but nobody gives me a second glance (that I've noticed anyway :D) As someone pointed out in an earlier post, nobody else knows how long you've been running for - you could be near the end of a 10k run for all they know. Don't let it stop you!

• Advertisement

I was very paranoid when I first started. This'll give you a laugh/make you feel better :) Because we live in a small town and I have a quite recognisable dog (as in friends and family recognise the dog before me when out walking) I started off doing c25k in sunglasses and a baseball cap, huge sunglasses :P I was dying with the thoughts of anyone recognising me. Slowly but surely I lost the hat, glasses now are only out when it's sunny. Imagine what it was like when I was spotted by my husband's friends in a fire engine and they all beeped at me, waved, and shouted words of encouragement :P

What really helps me - and this might be sad and superficial to some - is having cute running gear. I bought myself lovely runners as a reward for keeping up c25k, and slowly built up a few lovely tops/vests, a light jacket, winter stuff. Most of it pretty cheap, from Penneys, Dunnes, TK Maxx, wiggle.com, sportsdirect, etc. In my head if I look like I "deserve" these clothes others will think I must run a lot :o

When I did my 10k a few days ago I had MASSIVE sweat patches when I finally gave in to overheating and took off my little jacket. I was actually delighted with them, I thought anybody looking at me would think "Wow she must be really pushing herself today" :)

I LOVE sweatting in the gym - means it's working!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

My Mum took up running when we were very small kids - she told me that the first time she went out she brought her handbag so that if anyone she knew saw her she could pretend she was running for the bus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I was very paranoid when I first started. This'll give you a laugh/make you feel better :) Because we live in a small town and I have a quite recognisable dog (as in friends and family recognise the dog before me when out walking) I started off doing c25k in sunglasses and a baseball cap, huge sunglasses :P I was dying with the thoughts of anyone recognising me. Slowly but surely I lost the hat, glasses now are only out when it's sunny. Imagine what it was like when I was spotted by my husband's friends in a fire engine and they all beeped at me, waved, and shouted words of encouragement :P

What really helps me - and this might be sad and superficial to some - is having cute running gear. I bought myself lovely runners as a reward for keeping up c25k, and slowly built up a few lovely tops/vests, a light jacket, winter stuff. Most of it pretty cheap, from Penneys, Dunnes, TK Maxx, wiggle.com, sportsdirect, etc. In my head if I look like I "deserve" these clothes others will think I must run a lot :o

When I did my 10k a few days ago I had MASSIVE sweat patches when I finally gave in to overheating and took off my little jacket. I was actually delighted with them, I thought anybody looking at me would think "Wow she must be really pushing herself today" :)

Ah see this is me, live in a small town too, so if I went out running someone would probably recognise me! :p Just have to remember that when I see people running I barely even look at them, or pay any attention to them except thinking wow I must really start running!

Can you run along a quiet stretch? I used to run a very main road when I started, nobody ever actually recognised me with my "disguise" :) Now I'm happy for them to recognise me!

Would love to get out for another run today but between work and my legs in bits after 10k Monday and 5k walk yesterday in inappropriate boots I better not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I think what stops me trying running/jogging out is how ridiculous I think I'll look, with my tomato red face and that everyone will be looking at me and laughing at how pathetic I am (How ridiculous is that!?) !:p I'm tempted to give it a go though. I skip as it is and I think I prefer that mainly because I don't have to be worried about people looking at me and judging. I think it's mainly that I am quite self conscious (my self esteem is not great tbh), or maybe paranoid is a better word.:o I might try it out though. My brother started running recently, and I kind of want to give it a whirl!

You don't sound crazy. It's a real concern for people, especially for people who have never run before.

When I first started I was nervous, not exactly because I was worried about my physical appearance but because I had just never really run for long periods of time before and I was worried I would have a weird running style. I did w1d1 in my back garden!

When I got out running, no-one has ever really said a thing, except occasionally old people with encouraging remarks.

I tend to run in the evenings when it's getting dark because there are fewer people out and it's quieter. Just less people and dogs to weave around.
    It's a psychological thing. Sometimes getting out for a run is not appealing at that moment and it's going to help if you look at your shoes and running clothes and think "look at this sad sack of stuff".
    Scarinae wrote: »
    My Mum took up running when we were very small kids - she told me that the first time she went out she brought her handbag so that if anyone she knew saw her she could pretend she was running for the bus
    That is hilarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I run home from work sometimes and I'm still mortified if anyone sees me in my running gear. But I've never had any comments other than 'well done' or 'fair play to you'.

My friend's husband very kindly laughed at me the first time I went to her house to meet her for a walk wearing my walking/running gear :( I like to wear leggings, proper exercise t shirt etc because it's comfy, I don't want regular clothes getting dirty should I hit off any walls, hedges, etc. But whenever I meet her to go for a run she's wearing jeggings, cons, a pretty coat :confused: So they both seem to think I'm the odd one. Very disheartening. I can still see him laughing at me. D1ck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

My friend's husband very kindly laughed at me the first time I went to her house to meet her for a walk wearing my walking/running gear :( I like to wear leggings, proper exercise t shirt etc because it's comfy, I don't want regular clothes getting dirty should I hit off any walls, hedges, etc. But whenever I meet her to go for a run she's wearing jeggings, cons, a pretty coat :confused: So they both seem to think I'm the odd one. Very disheartening. I can still see him laughing at me. D1ck!
    Cons for running?
    You'll be laughing when she gets injured!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Cons for running?

I was gonna say the same. My back would be creased if I wore cons for running or even a decent paced walk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Lucyfur wrote: »
    I was gonna say the same. My back would be creased if I wore cons for running or even a decent paced walk
    My arches are cramping just thinking about it!

They're great for lifting though, very stable to squat and deadlift in, but my feet would be destroyed if I tried to run further than for the bus in them!

Cons for running?

She's already messed up her ankle from it, I warned her!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

I think what stops me trying running/jogging out is how ridiculous I think I'll look, with my tomato red face and that everyone will be looking at me and laughing at how pathetic I am (How ridiculous is that!?) ! I'm tempted to give it a go though. I skip as it is and I think I prefer that mainly because I don't have to be worried about people looking at me and judging. I think it's mainly that I am quite self conscious (my self esteem is not great tbh), or maybe paranoid is a better word. I might try it out though. My brother started running recently, and I kind of want to give it a whirl!

I've totally given up trying to look 'good' when running. Generally I fall out of bed put on my frumpy but warm running gear and head out. My hair is usually frightful with a fringe poking out at odd angles as I've just got out of bed - but I know me and I can only get a run in if its first thing in the morning.

I would like to buy some slightly more stylish running gear but every spare penny is going into the wedding fund - so it's just the old gear.

I did splash out on some good shoes a while back and they have been a godsend.

Dortilolma wrote: »

Your shoes and a good sports bra should be the two running items that shouldn't be scrimped on. The wrong shoes can cause injury and a bad bra is just horrendously uncomfortable and could put you off running. Aldi/Lidl/Sports Direct stuff is fine for everything else.

It's just annoying when it turns out that the crazy expensive top of the range shoe is the ideal model for your feet!

Dortilolma wrote: »
    I've totally given up trying to look 'good' when running. Generally I fall out of bed put on my frumpy but warm running gear and head out. My hair is usually frightful with a fringe poking out at odd angles as I've just got out of bed - but I know me and I can only get a run in if its first thing in the morning.

I would like to buy some slightly more stylish running gear but every spare penny is going into the wedding fund - so it's just the old gear.

I was saving for our wedding when I started running too, I got tops for €5 in Penneys, bras, leggings, etc all for under €20 on various websites. I spent about €100 in total over the course of about 3 months (runners were the most expensive but they were a birthday present to myself and still really reasonable).

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

Your shoes and a good sports bra should be the two running items that shouldn't be scrimped on. The wrong shoes can cause injury and a bad bra is just horrendously uncomfortable and could put you off running. Aldi/Lidl/Sports Direct stuff is fine for everything else.

It's just annoying when it turns out that the crazy expensive top of the range shoe is the ideal model for your feet!

Shoes are always a nightmare for me so I'm willing to spend a bit on a good pair. Thinking I might need a new pair soon - any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Starting back to a Pilates class tonight instead of doing bits here and there at home. Hoping that and a little more physio will help get my back and hip back in order and I'll be able to get back to running soon. Before I got pregnant I was back up to nearly 10km, I'd say I'd be panned out after 100 metres now.

My best suggestion is to go to Amphibian King (Ashtown, near the Phoenix Park, probably most convenient for you if you're in Dublin?) and ask them for their recommendations. They will watch you run and then make suggestions based on that.

I always found Asics and Mizuno shoes to be the most comfortable on me, and was never really a fan of Saucony and Nike, but it's an incredibly individual thing as others will swear by the brands that don't work at all for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

I'm starting couch to 5k next week, a bit apprehensive cos I hate running (but gotta do some exercise) and used to cross train but got plantar fasciitis. Just have to see how I go I guess.

Advertisement