Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Ive been doing little bits but the pressure has really been on at work.

A girl in my class from Uni died at the weekend and then it popped up on facebook that Pieta Houses's darkness into light has a London location this year so I've taken it as a sign.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Ive been doing little bits but the pressure has really been on at work.

A girl in my class from Uni died at the weekend and then it popped up on facebook that Pieta Houses's darkness into light has a London location this year so I've taken it as a sign.

Sorry to hear that Sarah. It's an awful shock when it happens.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I went to the gym after work yesterday. I don't know if it was because it was the start of Lent but the place was jammers - way more busy than last Wednesday evening anyway.

So I ended up on the cross trainer instead of a treadmill. I found it to be a good workout. I will likely use this as much as possible to build up stamina and then when I continue to lose weight that running might be easier. I managed over 3km in under 20 mins - much better than previous attempts of 2 km in 19 mins.

On the sweat issue though. I was sweating like you wouldn't believe last night and there was a girl (full make up, matching gym gear, walking on treadmill, no bead of sweat) who gave me dirty looks. Made me self conscious. And evidentially bitter about her appearance!!!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

sullivlo wrote: »
    there was a girl (full make up, matching gym gear, walking on treadmill, no bead of sweat) who gave me dirty looks. Made me self conscious. And evidentially bitter about her appearance!!!

Dirty looks straight back, or call her on it - "It's rude to stare!". The gym isn't a fashion parade.

At least you're putting the effort in! To be in the gym and not sweating really means you're not doing it right.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

As long as you’re wiping the machines after you use them, I don’t see the issue? Also, why on earth would that girl pay for a gym membership just to walk at normal speed on a treadmill? :confused:

I agree with rainbow kirby, she's doing it wrong!

• Advertisement

Scarinae wrote: »
    As long as you’re wiping the machines after you use them, I don’t see the issue? Also, why on earth would that girl pay for a gym membership just to walk at normal speed on a treadmill? :confused:

I agree with rainbow kirby, she's doing it wrong!
    I always wipe. I think it was just the sight of sweat that put her off. Her issue though, not mine. I'd rather sweat than match!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

But whenever I meet her to go for a run she's wearing jeggings, cons, a pretty coat :confused: So they both seem to think I'm the odd one. Very disheartening. I can still see him laughing at me. D1ck!

My cons aren't great for such things as bending my feet, big heavy rubber sole on them. I'd feel like I had flippers or ducks feet if I tried run in them (flap, flap, flap, ouch)

Phone was dead last night so couldn't do a couch to 5 k day, I really need someone in my ears saying 'walk now, run now, aren't you wonderful'. So instead went out and did a mix of walking and running for the same length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Everyone looks like a tit when running. EVERYONE. But what you need to remember is what you'll look like when you're more toned, happier and fitter and sashaying around in a fab dress looking gorgeous.
    That's when the effort pays off ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Any of you lovely ladies doing any upcoming 5k/10k/Half/Full marathons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

maguic24 wrote: »

I'm considering the Flora Mini Marathon (aka 10k).

• Advertisement

maguic24 wrote: »

British Heart Foundation Regents Park 10k next weekend, London Triathlon olympic distance (1500m swim/40km bike/10km run) in August, Great North Run half marathon in Newcastle in September. Will squeeze something (hopefully a sprint triathlon) in around May/June too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I've signed up for the flora 10k
    I'm not back up to 8k yet never mind 10k but I'm doing speed stuff at the moment so I'll switch back over soon

Loads of time, still 3 months to go! Do everything you can on the day to get under 60 minutes, qualifying for a white number makes the start a much less painful experience in the future.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Loads of time, still 3 months to go! Do everything you can on the day to get under 60 minutes, qualifying for a white number makes the start a much less painful experience in the future.

Under 60 minutes lols
    I'm on like a 37 min 5k :p
    I guess that's what the work is for :D
    I tried even signing up for slow jogger but even that needs a qualifying time now so I'll try my best

The Flora Mini is what made me do 10k on Monday, I wanted to see if I could make it into the Jogger category, under 100 mins. Did it in 80 mins so am comfortably under it :) Nothing really stopping me signing up for it now, other than the cost, and the thought that I could just run 10k around here for free :D

You'll go a lot faster than 80 minutes on race day if you do it! The day itself is good fun, if a little too pinkwashed for its own good. It's not the most expensive of races either, and it's quite a flat course - only real hill is Nutley Lane and going up the side of the Belfield flyover.

It's one race I never do well at though when I'm putting in the effort - was aiming for sub 50 about 4 years ago and my stomach nope'd it after around 4km, spent the next 6km trying not to technicolour yawn. Last year it was BAM HEAT OUT OF NOWHERE and I went off way too quickly.

See I'd have travel costs to it as well, I'm not in Dublin, so petrol, tolls, parking, food, etc. It would just be to say I did that one really. There aren't many 5-10k's around here, the odd few in local towns a couple of times in the year, I might just do one of them instead when they pop up.

You'll go a lot faster than 80 minutes on race day if you do it! The day itself is good fun, if a little too pinkwashed for its own good. It's not the most expensive of races either, and it's quite a flat course - only real hill is Nutley Lane and going up the side of the Belfield flyover.

It's one race I never do well at though when I'm putting in the effort - was aiming for sub 50 about 4 years ago and my stomach nope'd it after around 4km, spent the next 6km trying not to technicolour yawn. Last year it was BAM HEAT OUT OF NOWHERE and I went off way too quickly.

Had to google this but I love it and shall now steal it.

I considered the FWMM but I think I'll get acquainted with park runs first. I'll probably register as a walker anyway and do it, but not as a race or to make a time.

I'm doing a Colour Run during the summer - it's only 5k and it isn't timed, but it's called the Colour Run because every kilometre they throw loads of colour all over everyone. Everyone wears white and you're multicoloured by the end.

I'm doing a Colour Run during the summer - it's only 5k and it isn't timed, but it's called the Colour Run because every kilometre they throw loads of colour all over everyone. Everyone wears white and you're multicoloured by the end.

My friend did one a few months ago, looked like great craic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Despite the fact I am way out of practice, I signed up to do the Electric Run in Dublin later this month - looks like great fun :)

http://electricrun.ie/

miamee wrote: »
    Despite the fact I am way out of practice, I signed up to do the Electric Run in Dublin later this month - looks like great fun :)

http://electricrun.ie/

That looks amazing!

I thought about it but can't justify entering when I can only manage 2 km!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Is this in London?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

@ SarahBeep! - They hold the colour runs in lots of locations. I've just looked at the UK webpage and they are booked up for the London run.

I've signed up for the Flora Mini Marathon as a runner this year!!! I't's hard to believe this time last year I couldn't even run for 1 minute without coughing up a lung...I'm slightly proud of myself :)

Anyone else just starting out, stick with it, it works.

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Is this in London?

I can't do the London one because I'll likely be on holiday, so I'm doing the Birmingham one instead. They have one in Brighton as well, which would be easy enough to get to from London!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

Did day 1 of the couch to 5k this evening! I'm a non-smoker, heavier than I should be for my height and age but I have to say that I found day 1 much easier than I expected! Think it was more to do with being mentally psyched up for it though :) I really enjoyed it and can't wait to get out and do day 2 tomorrow, I even did an extra 2k brisk walk at the end of my 30mins today so delighted with myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I went for a run this morning for the first time in aggggeessss. /guilt/
    Ran 2K, was grand, will build myself up to 5K again.

I followed your advice and bought a Garmin Forerunner watch with a Christmas voucher, used it today, it's great, I was able to upload a map of my run!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

My knees really kicked off tonight while running (week 3, day 3). They're such a pain, although have had them xrayed before and checked out and nothing is wrong with them bar the fact that they are assholes. I am possibly a bit on the heiferly side to be running but hopefully the running will sort that out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I got up to about week 5-6 this time last year. I hurt my foot and gave up by I restarted at week 1 on Sunday. Just about to go do week 1 day 2 now. Planning on having gait analysis done in the next week or two and get myself some new runners.

Advertisement