Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

sullivlo wrote: »
    I did this today. Instead of turning on the app I just started to run and ran for 15 mins. Will build on that and see how I get on.

20 minutes today!!! 20!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 olddognotricks

Hi all
    Ran on the treadmill last night cos of de weather. hadnt ran since previous Tues nite. Jeepers have to say found it harder than outside running and boring too which is weird cos always dreaded going outside to run before I started to it regularly and now prefer it!!! Wanna get back out there so hopef tomorrow nite ok for being out!!! Go away storms/crap weather!:mad:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Scarinae - how're the blisters?!
    I too was about to ask about the blisters :)

The blisters themselves have gone - incidentally, I discovered that taping cotton pads to your feet is almost as good as plasters until you can buy some - but now I have hard skin there instead. Yuck! Thankfully nobody except me will see it, as it's currently boot weather and I won't see my boyfriend until March.

I signed up for my first run today, and I've paid for it and all so no backing down! It's only a 5k and it's not timed, so it's more of a fun run, but it gives me something to focus on!

I've also been using a pedometer for a few days now, thought I'd aim for 10,000 steps a day initially to see how it goes and was surprised to see I hit that anyway in a normal day where I don't go jogging.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

It's 150 days to my month long holiday in Thailand. I'm sick of carrying around my excess weight and looking crap in my clothes!

Tonight was only a short one, 2km in just under 20 mins. Friday, 30 mins!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I went to the gym today. I ran for 10 minutes. Building back up now after 3 weeks out of the gym with illness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Can anybody recommend a hair/headband that'll stay in place without 20 clips?

I've an awful lot of hair and I'm sick of all the big chunks of it that stick themselves to my face :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Sauve wrote: »

I've an awful lot of hair and I'm sick of all the big chunks of it that stick themselves to my face :mad:

I got a few in Penneys. They're kinda like bandanas and I probably look like I'm wearing a pair of knickers on my head, but they're the only ones that stay on!

Sauve wrote: »

I got a few thin ones with a silicone on the inside that stops hair from sliding out.

The women are doing well.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I use a wide Babyliss flowery one that I got in Boots, and a couple of other cotton ones I got in Majorca over the summer. Mostly bandana-style. I have short but very thick hair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Did anyone do the Operation Transformation 5k today? I was out and was very happy with my time and my overall stamina compared to last year AND I was only 10 mins behind my superfit brother who is a bit of a fitness junkie. Its been a while since I've done a timed event and its made me realise that every run is doing you good.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep an eye out for those. I used to use a buff as a bandana but there was too much material and my head got all hot :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Wah wah wah. A couple of weeks ago I got sick and following on from that I got lazy and so I have been firm friends with my couch with the only exercise being an occasional walk to a shop nearby is selling off those Cadbury's mousse snowmen for 50c each. Back out tonight to go Week 2 again and it nearly killed me. Turns out it's not a good idea to eat dinner and ice cream and then run. Lesson learned!!

I'm starting a really intense course shortly so I really want to get running bedded into my week beforehand. My experience with spending all week either in college or in work is that I turn into a slob, would like to avoid that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I was lying in bed feeling lazy and decided I didn't want to feel lazy any more. So I went out and re-started c25k. I haven't run in about a year, very little exercise other than the odd cycle/walk. I have a lot of weight to lose but determined to become healthier. I managed about half the running of w1d1, brisk walked for the rest. I knowi that sounds fairly pathetic but Im taking the glass half full approach! Going to repeat it until I can manage the full run, move on and continue that way. Going to aim for a 5k run by September. :)

Lola92 wrote: »
    I was lying in bed feeling lazy and decided I didn't want to feel lazy any more. So I went out and re-started c25k. I haven't run in about a year, very little exercise other than the odd cycle/walk. I have a lot of weight to lose but determined to become healthier. I managed about half the running of w1d1, brisk walked for the rest. I knowi that sounds fairly pathetic but Im taking the glass half full approach! Going to repeat it until I can manage the full run, move on and continue that way. Going to aim for a 5k run by September. :)

I went out Wednesday for 20 mins, meant to g out Friday but went out instead. Yesterday was match day so that was a write off! Went out tonight, managed just under 13 mins (1.2km, combination of walking and running) when I succumbed to my latent hangover. a combination of Friday and Saturday! I'd say the kebab last night didn't help. Nor did the cheesecake today. But onwards and upwards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    I went out Wednesday for 20 mins, meant to g out Friday but went out instead. Yesterday was match day so that was a write off! Went out tonight, managed just under 13 mins (1.2km, combination of walking and running) when I succumbed to my latent hangover. a combination of Friday and Saturday! I'd say the kebab last night didn't help. Nor did the cheesecake today. But onwards and upwards :D

Carvery here for dinner at lunch time followed by BLTs and chocolate fingers for tea! I've tomorrows lunch and snacks all made up and In the fridge and an alarm on to get up in time for a proper breakfast instead of the usual mandarin in the car followed by crazy 10am sugar craving!! My usual downfall is failure to prepare and grabbing the nearest sugary processed crap on a detour to the vending machine between lectures. It won't get me this time!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Lola92 wrote: »

Good stuff outta you :) Everyone has to start somewhere, build up over a couple of weeks to the full W1D1 if you need to. Slow buildup and you'll be fine, you should be well able to do the 5km by September and probably before then.

Have been zonked myself over the last week or so with a nasty viral throat infection, tried to get back out yesterday with a 2 mile run, and nearly ended up fainting at the end! Decided to rest again today, and I'll probably chance a short slow swim (1km-ish) tomorrow - hopefully it won't absolutely pancake me! It's especially frustrating because I was supposed to be doing a 10k in March, which would have been my first one in over 9 months.

Breakfast is usually cereal bars and juice! It's breaktime in the staffroom that kills me. Sausage rolls, cake, other stuff people have brought in! I do get school dinner, usually go for the pasta/rice option which is filling, but not always the nicest!If it looks a bit yukky I'll get a panini which is greasy as hell!

Made dinner for today and the next two nights in the slow cooker though. Chicken leg done on a bed of carrots and onions with chicken stock. Will have brown rice with it. Nom nom nom squishy carrots.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I just went jogging!!!

I also realised how MONSTROUSLY unfit I am- I barely managed 20 minutes of the 1st day of the programme, but f#ck it, it's more than I did yesterday!!

:D:D:D

Did another bit of running today. I increased the speed rather than the time. Treadmill.

Then did 7km on the bike.

And walked home from the gym.

I. Am. Shattered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I'm starting back at Couch to 5k tomorrow, after having had my gorgeous little baby boy just over six weeks ago.

I had been running a wee bit the last couple of years, up until getting pregnant, but not much. I did pretty much no exercise during pregnancy :o - however I lost a good bit of weight thanks to morning sickness. And I did notice that, the odd time I had to sprint to the bus or whatever (even at 8+ months pregnant) I felt fitter than before and was running faster than before! So I'm hoping I'm starting from a good place ... I was back to my pre-pregnancy weight within a few days, and weigh maybe half a stone less now than I did before ... I still feel very flabby though!

Looking forward to getting back into some sort of an exercise routine. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I'm starting back at Couch to 5k tomorrow, after having had my gorgeous little baby boy just over six weeks ago.

I had been running a wee bit the last couple of years, up until getting pregnant, but not much. I did pretty much no exercise during pregnancy :o - however I lost a good bit of weight thanks to morning sickness. And I did notice that, the odd time I had to sprint to the bus or whatever (even at 8+ months pregnant) I felt fitter than before and was running faster than before! So I'm hoping I'm starting from a good place ... I was back to my pre-pregnancy weight within a few days, and weigh maybe half a stone less now than I did before ... I still feel very flabby though!

Looking forward to getting back into some sort of an exercise routine. :)
    Did you get the ok from your gynae?
    Make sure you're doing your Kegels, as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Ran my first 5k (Operation Transformation) last Saturday in 27:33. Delighted! :D
    The best I managed when 'training' was 28:12.

Anyone else here run the OT 5k ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Did you get the ok from your gynae?
    Make sure you're doing your Kegels, as well!

Well I've had my six-week check and everything was fine, I didn't actually specifically ask her about exercising but that's the last appointment so I assume it's fine! :/

And yes, I'm doing them religiously! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Week 2, Day 3, Third Go. The biggest stabbiest stitch I've had in years attached me during the third run. I looked not very elegant at all for the last 2 runs, when I could barely lift my feet off the ground and was syncopating my stride with irregular wheezing breaths and loud swearing. I can't wait till the week when the whole of the run feels as amazing as the first minute does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Went for a run earlier and it was going great until I realised half way through that I needed to pee.....

maguic24 wrote: »
    Went for a run earlier and it was going great until I realised half way through that I needed to pee.....

Did you have to practice your squats?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Did you have to practice your squats?!

No I just kept running, as bad as it was. It got pretty bad at one point where I was like, 'sure I can just pee my pants and get in the shower when I get home'. Thankfully that moment of insanity passed and I made it home without smelling like p*ss.

Did a 2km run today.

Bate.

Looking forward to the weekend to try running outdoors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

This time last year I was halfway through C25k. I stopped in May because I hurt my knees. Elverys insoles seem to have sort it mostly, so I've been doing a bit again recently. I've been jogging/walking in intervals while I get used to the insoles, not running. But to be honest I like that, I prefer it to constant jogging/running.

Today I did 10k in 78 mins :) Delighted.

Advertisement