Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Jabberwocky_I

Hi all,

I've decided to start the C25K. Have always wanted to get into running and reading through all of your posts is really motivating so going to give it a go. I'm looking for tips on how to pace myself outdoors, if anyone has any?
    I've been a member of gyms in the past and it's fine when you're on a treadmill, but I'm not sure how I'll fare running outside.

Thanks!

• Administrators Posts: 13,772 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Start off slow. Somedays you won't get into the rhythm at all, and other days you will feel great!

We didn't push it. If we started and just couldn't get into it, we turned around and went home and went out again the next day. We started in January and the weather wasn't great! But we kept reminding ourselves: 30 minutes, then we're finished. Unless the day was torrential rain with hurricane winds (which only happened one day - we were basically jogging on the spot!) we went out.

My advice is, take it slow. Repeat days/weeks if you feel you have to. And stick with it... It's a great feeling to run a 5k at the end of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Hi all,

I've decided to start the C25K. Have always wanted to get into running and reading through all of your posts is really motivating so going to give it a go. I'm looking for tips on how to pace myself outdoors, if anyone has any?
    I've been a member of gyms in the past and it's fine when you're on a treadmill, but I'm not sure how I'll fare running outside.

Thanks!

The 'talk test'. Aim for a slow enough pace that you can talk comfortably. You might feel that you're running too slowly, but the important thing for now is to concentrate on building up the time on your feet. Pace and speed can come later.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

Week 2, Day 1 done. I finished last week last Monday though so a bit of a gap! I was annoyed with myself for not going this last week but am learning what routine works and what will be sustainable I suppose. Weekends (except this last as I was away) and beginning of the week is do-able, but Wed-Fri I'm really just exhausted after work. At least now I know and can plan to go on days that work, so I'm not setting myself up to fail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Went to do week 2 day 2 on Friday night towards the fancy off licence and realised runners were in work. Well played Friday MissFlitworth, well played. So got in lots of walking over the weekend instead and went out tonight. Was that bit more difficult because of the long gap between running days and my knees hated me but there was no question that I wouldn't be able to finish it. Surprised at how much ground I cover on the running bits, really am seeing a lot of my locality.

Week 2 day 3 planned for this Wednesday & then wash, rinse and repeat on Friday. Will start Week 3 on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Jabberwocky_I

Start off slow. Somedays you won't get into the rhythm at all, and other days you will feel great!

We didn't push it. If we started and just couldn't get into it, we turned around and went home and went out again the next day. We started in January and the weather wasn't great! But we kept reminding ourselves: 30 minutes, then we're finished. Unless the day was torrential rain with hurricane winds (which only happened one day - we were basically jogging on the spot!) we went out.

My advice is, take it slow. Repeat days/weeks if you feel you have to. And stick with it... It's a great feeling to run a 5k at the end of it.
    vitani wrote: »
    The 'talk test'. Aim for a slow enough pace that you can talk comfortably. You might feel that you're running too slowly, but the important thing for now is to concentrate on building up the time on your feet. Pace and speed can come later.

That's great - thank you both for the advise. Looking forward to getting started!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

hey guys, need to get back into this as I haven't run anywhere since I completed the Cork ladies mini marathon in September :o I just gave up...

I think it's the dark nights to be honest that are holding me back - there is actually nowhere to run near me that is well lit and also there are numerous hills around my area and that's not ideal for me as I haven't run up very many hills, it's mainly all been on the flat....:o

I hope to get back out there in the next few weeks and start the C25K training all over again because I would say I am back at square one as regards fitness!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

leahyl wrote: »
    hey guys, need to get back into this as I haven't run anywhere since I completed the Cork ladies mini marathon in September :o I just gave up...

I think it's the dark nights to be honest that are holding me back - there is actually nowhere to run near me that is well lit and also there are numerous hills around my area and that's not ideal for me as I haven't run up very many hills, it's mainly all been on the flat....:o

I hope to get back out there in the next few weeks and start the C25K training all over again because I would say I am back at square one as regards fitness!

Could you join a gym?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

sullivlo wrote: »
    Could you join a gym?

Waste of money for me sullivlo; I have joined gyms numerous times in the past and I never end up going enough. I vowed I wouldn't spend that money again!

I do go walking alright, so I'm sort of psyching myself up for getting back out running when it gets brighter.:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

leahyl wrote: »
    Waste of money for me sullivlo; I have joined gyms numerous times in the past and I never end up going enough. I vowed I wouldn't spend that money again!

I do go walking alright, so I'm sort of psyching myself up for getting back out running when it gets brighter.:)

What part of cork are you in? I did some walking in cork so may be able to suggest a brighter place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Week 2, Day 3. This was the hardest yet, was dying in my second 90 second run and the burning in my calves and feet was my buddy for the rest of the session. Finished it, albeit at barely a jogging pace. Not sure why today was so unpleasant but 2 forked fingers to it. Will do another Week 2 day on Friday and kick off Week 3 from Sunday.

(eep - I've actually stuck to an exercise routine for more than a week. This is very unlike me)

Well done :)

I did w4d2 yesterday. The 5 minute run snuck up on me! But I survived. Legs were giving out a bit but I made it! Tomorrow is w4d3 and I think I'll start week 5 on Sunday.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I've started this again, I can't face the dark evenings though so I went before work yesterday morning (then felt smug and virtuous for the rest of the day). Going to go again tomorrow morning!

There's nothing better than that smug feeling!!!!

I'm smug this evening :)

Week 4, Day 3 finished! I've got a little badge that says "1/2 way to 5K" and I'm such a sap that it's a big deal for me ;)

The 5 min run was grand this evening. Grand! Dare I say it I am looking forward to the 6 min run!!

When I get to a 10 min run (week 6) I think I'll try do the app from week 1 OUTDOORS and build up to running outside because I tried running outside today on my way home from the gym and it sucked.

I went out again this morning - I've developed blisters on the heels of both feet though, probably because it's months since I last wore my runners :o Ouch! I was planning to do W1D3 on Sunday, is that a bad idea?

Scarinae wrote: »
    I went out again this morning - I've developed blisters on the heels of both feet though, probably because it's months since I last wore my runners :o Ouch! I was planning to do W1D3 on Sunday, is that a bad idea?

I suppose it depends on how long it takes the blisters to heal - there is no point in making them worse.

sullivlo wrote: »
    I suppose it depends on how long it takes the blisters to heal - there is no point in making them worse.

I think they'll be alright, they've healed a good bit since yesterday. A couple of plasters and I'll be grand!

(Fingers crossed I won't post tomorrow going AAAAGH MY FEET, WHY DID I GO OUT?)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I was talking to a guy at this mornings 5K who has just finished his 10 week couch to 5K. He reckons he has never felt better or had more energy and he completed the whole 5K even though there was a really strong headwind in parts.
    Well worth completing the whole programme according to him:)

Week 5 day 1 today.

Nailed it. Enjoyed it.

I've noticed, and this will make people laugh, that when some crappy comedy show is on tv I get less bored than when the news is on! Even though I can't hear it... Today the first half was HIMYM, then the news and I enjoyed the 5/3/6 more than the 3/5!

I cannot believe the change in me. Physically I've lost ~7 kg. mentally I am more alert and less stressed. I have never enjoyed running before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

I only did week 2, day 2 today, almost a week after my last day! I'm loving it but not doing very well with managing three times a week. I'm resigning myself to the fact it will take me longer the nine weeks- I still intend to keep doing the sessions consecutively but maybe two per week and if I manage the third it's a bonus! I have a long commute currently and a lot of academic work that eats into evenings/weekends. That said, I'm quite active during the day and I don't really want to lose weight so as long as I make some fitness gains I'm happy!

Semele, you are right to do what suits you. If you pressure yourself to do more than is comfortable it will become less enjoyable. We couldn't get past week 3! I think it was 2 X 90 seconds jog, 90 seconds walk and then 3 minute jog 3 minute walk. We just couldn't do it. Day 3 of week 3 was the first time we managed to do the two 3 minute jogs.. so we just repeated that week, the following week. Near the end of the program we were almost totally doing our own thing.. Instead of jogging for 25 minutes - we'd do 3 km/4km (regardless of how long we'd be jogging for!)

Scarinae - how're the blisters?!

Semele, you are right to do what suits you. If you pressure yourself to do more than is comfortable it will become less enjoyable. We couldn't get past week 3! I think it was 2 X 90 seconds jog, 90 seconds walk and then 3 minute jog 3 minute walk. We just couldn't do it. Day 3 of week 3 was the first time we managed to do the two 3 minute jogs.. so we just repeated that week, the following week. Near the end of the program we were almost totally doing our own thing.. Instead of jogging for 25 minutes - we'd do 3 km/4km (regardless of how long we'd be jogging for!)

Scarinae - how're the blisters?!

I too was about to ask about the blisters :)

I reckon I will end up starting to do my own thing soon but we'll see. I've never stuck with anything for this long before so yeay.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 yellowcanary

Id like to congratulate you all on how well that you're doing!! I started to run using couch 2 5k about 3 years ago. It really is a fantastic app. I run regularly now and running - though one of the hardest things I do, is the best stress reliever and most worthwhile things I do in my life.
    Sign up for the mini marathon if you can. It really kept me focused to complete all the training. join a club if there's one near you. A great way to meet others and get fit at the same time.
    Well done everyone. You should be proud of yourselves. Keep at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

Anyone else finding it really hard to motivate themselves to go out running in the cold? I'm lucky if I get one run in a week these days.

I have tonnes of gear that keeps me warm but I'm just finding it hard to actually get out there.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Dortilolma wrote: »
    Anyone else finding it really hard to motivate themselves to go out running in the cold?

Yep, this is my 6th winter running and probably the hardest one to get up off my arse and run outdoors! I've been doing a lot of my midweek running on the treadmill at the gym (yawn) and only really running outside during the day at the weekend. That said, I'm only running around 2-3 times a week at the moment and doing a good bit of swimming and some cycling too so it's not as big of a deal as it would have been before.

I think the fact that this is an unusually wet winter, combined with the fact that I only moved into my current apartment 2 months ago so am still only now familiarizing myself with the area, are the problems there though.

Also, if someone could give me a kick in the arse to get up in time for a Parkrun on a Saturday morning, that would be great. 9am just seems so early, even if it isn't *that* far to my local ones (Highbury Fields or Finsbury Park).

I'm doing all of my running in the gym currently. When the weather improves I will go out on the roads. I tried the road but found a) temperature regulation, and b) pacing, to be issues so I want to wait a while.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I've stayed subscribed to this thread even though I haven't gone out since September. I'm gearing myself up to start again soon, I got as far as week 6 last time then went on holidays for a week and it all went out the window. I might have to start back on Week 3 I'd say :(

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

I've been doing a lot of my midweek running on the treadmill at the gym (yawn) and only really running outside during the day at the weekend.
    sullivlo wrote:
    I'm doing all of my running in the gym currently.

I've tried running at gyms but find I never get that awesome feeling afterwards which I think has something to do with fresh air. I also find it ridiculously boring.

I'm ok with running in some drizzle but the cold winds are very off putting.

Hopefully the weather eases up a bit and the ongoing running can commence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 ash_2014

Starting Week 1 Day 1 Today... I have been out walking nearly every evening since early Jan, time to pick up the pace now.. really want to be able to run 5k..

Advertisement