Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I did 5km again yesterday and knocked a minute off my time. The day was super miserable and windy but I did 5km in 41min! I didn't get to the park run but hoping I will the weekend after next.

Glad the new top helped BW.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I haven't posted here in a while, I was off the road for a while with a leg injury but have been slowly getting myself back into it.

I've entered the Clontarf half marathon for the end of the month, I said after my first in Aug I had ticked it off the list so I would wait at least a year before doing another, if I did one at all but I saw Clontarf advertised and haven't been able to stop thinking about it so bit the bullet and signed up.

During the one in Aug I met a guy who was a great support to me when I was having a mental block about two thirds of the way through and just wanted to quit. He told me that not only would I finish but I would start thinking about doing another pretty soon. I told him he was crackers. I guess he was right :D

Oh and to just mention to anyone looking for running gear there is a really good selection of stuff in Aldi at the moment, running hats, gloves, base layers, jackets. Looks quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

eviltwin wrote: »
    I haven't posted here in a while, I was off the road for a while with a leg injury but have been slowly getting myself back into it.

I've entered the Clontarf half marathon for the end of the month, I said after my first in Aug I had ticked it off the list so I would wait at least a year before doing another, if I did one at all but I saw Clontarf advertised and haven't been able to stop thinking about it so bit the bullet and signed up.

During the one in Aug I met a guy who was a great support to me when I was having a mental block about two thirds of the way through and just wanted to quit. He told me that not only would I finish but I would start thinking about doing another pretty soon. I told him he was crackers. I guess he was right :D

It's addictive! I signed up for my second as well, but it's not until next April. Can't wait. I'm hoping to run the Dublin marathon next October.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I haven't posted here in ages. I slipped a disk in my back and, frankly, was so happy to be walking again that I was a little scared to get back running.

I'm in week 4 of c25k now and it's going really well, much better than the first time I did it. Only problem is with all the wet weather I pretty much have to run on tarmac all the time. I like to run on grass sometimes to give my knees a break.

Thanks for the tip about aldi, I got a light jacket there the last time they had running stuff in and it's perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Thought I'd pop in and say hello too - C25k got me started a year and a half ago, was very happily running regularly, with the occasional minor injury, then I was struck down with an injury in my right foot last August. And after months of healing, swimming, gym-work and stretching like no-one's business, I've been given the okay to start up again... only I have to build up very gradually, so today I did Day 1, Week 1 all over again. Thankfully not quite like the first one when I couldn't complete it, this time I was so impatient to keep going but knew I had to take it slow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Run in the dark tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

bluewolf wrote: »
    Run in the dark tonight!
    I completely forgot about that. Hope the weather holds up for you!

Run in the dark tonight!

Have a great one, let us know how it went

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Enjoy. Know a couple folks doing that.

I have signed up for a 5k on St. Stephen's day!!! Must be mental. The first year they ran it I participated. I walked it, and I made it round. No fog as to my time. Then Feb before last I did the OpTran 5k again walking it and did it in approx 57 mins. So at the very least I wanna make it round this 5k in less time than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

I am also doing run in the dark tonight. I haven't gone for a run since the last week of September, had 5 hours sleep last night, oven is broken so have only eaten ham sandwiches for 2 days, and I've nearly fainted twice since I had a procedure done in the doctors this morning. Pray for modjo

pampootie wrote: »
    I am also doing run in the dark tonight. I haven't gone for a run since the last week of September, had 5 hours sleep last night, oven is broken so have only eaten ham sandwiches for 2 days, and I've nearly fainted twice since I had a procedure done in the doctors this morning. Pray for modjo

39 mins! Whoop!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

39 mins! Whoop!

Great time!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

39 mins! Whoop!

I'd say you did better than me so!!
    Sure there was some lad on crutches tearing along faster than me :D
    Well done!

Bluewolf you might be surprised, I thought I was over 45 mins! Impressed with how fast they text out the chip time. Well done to you too!

Did you get a text?! :(

Yeah, at about half nine. Did you hand back your chip at the end? Think you had to to get the text, I wanted to keep mine as a momento but they wouldn't let me!

There was huge buckets of timing chips too, I might just have been lucky and fished out early!

Yeah, at about half nine. Did you hand back your chip at the end? Think you had to to get the text, I wanted to keep mine as a momento but they wouldn't let me!

There was huge buckets of timing chips too, I might just have been lucky and fished out early!

Eh? nobody handed theirs back that I saw! nobody in pub after either that's for sure! and nobody said anything :(
    Sure if they put the results online or something that'll be grand

Really? Hmmn. I did the cork one, maybe it was a different set up to Dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

did your text arrived in the end bluey? I got texts for my husband and the girl who took my race number at 11:50 last night, we didn't hand in the chips or anything. As far as I can remember the results go up online too.

Well done to everyone who took part in RITD last night, it wasn't perfect conditions by any means (that wind, Jaysus!!) so even more kudos for taking part :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I got a text at midnight with my chip time for the 5K Run in the Dark - 30m 24s. I didn't hand back my chip to anyone.

I'm really pleased. This time last year I didn't think it would be physically possible for me to run even 1K, let alone run a 5K race. I'm delighted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

So strange to hear you say "husband" :3<3

I got my text, it clocked me at 3 mins more than I timed myself at so I went back to sleep all sad!

I went into this woefully unprepared, but next one will be better! Well done to everyone, we all did great! Yay!

No text for me or the lads in work. Waiting for them to go online!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I got my text about midnight as well and my chip and number are at home on my kitchen table. Did they have your individual numbers Bluey?

39 minutes and that included 3 stops to tie shoeslaces. The start was tough as it was so cold standing there but happy out in the end!

Well done to everyone who did it :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well done all :)

Let this motivate you all to keep at it - whether to go a little faster next time, or push on distance-wise and do a 5 mile or 10k!

Only running short distances myself at the moment, my back has been a bit of a Moaning Michael lately. Mostly swimming for cardio, running around twice a week. Cycling a bit too, will probably try get out for a bit of a spin on Saturday morning.

Well done everyone who took part, it wasn't the best night for it so kudos to you all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I printed out my certificate and stuck it to the fridge to remind myself to speed the hell up if I want to do anything like this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jw30

Thinking about entering my first 5k. Wondering wheres the best place to look to find where there'd be a 5k on in January? Living in Carlow & would like to not have to travel too far if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

jw30 wrote: »
    Thinking about entering my first 5k. Wondering wheres the best place to look to find where there'd be a 5k on in January? Living in Carlow & would like to not have to travel too far if possible.

Runireland.com have lists of all (I think) registered races so have a gawk there. Also, follow your local running clubs on facebook/twitter, they're always advertising local events.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

There's a variety of events listed in the Athletics & Running Events forum too: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1254

Advertisement