Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭NCONTHEMC

Hi rainbow Kirby well done you! Have never done a 5k so am trying a 5k urban trail next weekend. Anything to keep me moving and keep the extra pounds off! :rolleyes:If you did a pb you must be delighted no? Are you signed up for anymore races?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Next up for me is probably going to be a 10k in April. Hoping to break 50 minutes for the first time - previous PB is 52-something but that was nearly 2 years ago. Also signed up for a couple of half-marathons this year, and will add other races as I see fit.

5k urban trail sounds like fun, good luck with it :)

Ha, don't know about fun! One of my friends persuaded me to sign up for 3 urban trails and this will be the second. Ah well, beats staying at home with the kids :p also means I can eat chocolate with less guilt attached. It's a win win! That reminds me, must put some new tunes on my v old iPod, anything to help pass the time when the lungs feel like they're about to explode!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 elizabethmary

ooops no, did nothing just had a crazy week at work and way to tired to try it today...but do need a long walk. Thanks for asking though, good motivation. Can someone explain what an urban trail is?

Hi ElizabethMary I knew nothing about them until a month ago, this website tells you all about it! http://www.urbantrailsireland.com/concept.php. Good luck with starting the running, god knows it's tough to do, one day I'm hoping I might not hate it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 elizabethmary

Brillant idea, and all those runners seem to be having fun. Well I live in the middle of nowhere so plenty of fields to run through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 starmcmahon

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Greetings all.... fairly new to Boards, and definitely new to The Ladies' Lounge!

Question for ye.... I've toyed with running for the last couple of years. Got myself up to 10K a few times, but never even got near running all of one (1.04 was my best time). I'm overweight, and have what was mild exercise-induced asthma, but now appears to be getting slowly worse (had first proper attack at the end of a 10K last year, frightened the bejaysus out of me!). I've started back right at the beginning of C25K, and am now heading into week 5, and it's all going ok so far.

Thing is, I'd love to find a club, or some sort of running company - running on my own is soul-destroying - I find myself the whole time figuring out when I can next stop, and wondering when it'll all be over. But yet when I run a race (I did the OT race in the park last weekend) I could keep going for ever (well, for a lot longer anyhow). But.... I struggle to run for extended periods, and even at that it's a shuffle not a whole lot faster than a fast walk.

Do clubs have remedial sections into which I might fit? Or are there any groups of complete amateur, non-greyhound runners out there who might welcome another to their numbers?

ETA - meant to say, I've signed up for a half marathon in October, with a few other races along the way (FMM included) so I really need to get my act together!

I popped over to the Donore Fit4Life last night, very welcoming bunch. Some have been running awhile and doing 8/6/5 miles but there is group of 4 ladies just doing walking/jogging. I joined in with walking/jogging group and covered 4km in the Phoenix Park. Very enjoyable. Ill def be going back. I have signed up to do the mini marathon and the aim is to be able to jog the whole 10km

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I popped over to the Donore Fit4Life last night, very welcoming bunch. Some have been running awhile and doing 8/6/5 miles but there is group of 4 ladies just doing walking/jogging. I joined in with walking/jogging group and covered 4km in the Phoenix Park. Very enjoyable. Ill def be going back. I have signed up to do the mini marathon and the aim is to be able to jog the whole 10km

Oh hurray! That sounds just perfect! I'm back to W4 of the C25K after a very strange episode with my calf muscle for the last couple of weeks (not a pulled muscle or regular injury, I had DVT muttered darkly at me for a while but it seems not to have been - anyway, it seems to have gone now). Will definitely try to make it Monday or Wednesday next week. Will you be going again?

Yup I will def be going on Monday :) i have been trying to do the whole C25K on my own but no motivation! So I def think a group is the way to go as otherwise I'll only gove up!!! The guy Barry that runs it very nice and very encouraging. he walked/ran with me last night when the other ladies went on a bit ahead!

Yup I will def be going on Monday :) i have been trying to do the whole C25K on my own but no motivation! So I def think a group is the way to go as otherwise I'll only gove up!!! The guy Barry that runs it very nice and very encouraging. he walked/ran with me last night when the other ladies went on a bit ahead!

Sounds great - hopefully I'll see you there :)

• Advertisement

Cool :D

Sounds great - hopefully I'll see you there :)
    sent you a PM there but it not showing in my sent items, so let me know if you dont get it! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Gillwill

Hi. I'd be interested in getting joining the running/walking ladies in the Phoenix park. How would I go about joining?

Gill

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Gillwill

What times do they meet in the park?

Gillwill wrote: »
    What times do they meet in the park?

Hi,
    It is organised through the Donore Harriers club in Chapelizod. So meet at their club house Mon & Wed at 6.30.
    http://www.donoreharriers.com/home_nav_22.html
    I popped along to a trial session last nite to see how it goes. Very encouraging :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,205 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Not getting ouch much these days, once every 10 days/a fortnight. :o

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Black Oil wrote: »
    Not getting ouch much these days, once every 10 days/a fortnight. :o

Weather's picking up and the evenings are getting longer, no excuses now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I've been doing really well, I'm doing it over 9 weeks as I have the doggies with me and am on week 7 so 25 minutes straight run. The problem is this week my knee really seems to be twinging. I really want to keep going cause I've come this far, but hubbie thinks I might need a break to let the knee heal. I really don't want to go backwards, very frustrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Anyone else doing the race with ray 5km on good friday? Nervous but looking forward to it :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,205 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Weather's picking up and the evenings are getting longer, no excuses now :)

Dissertation's mainly to blame. :cool: Not much free time in the evenings.

• Advertisement

Barbiegirl did you try icing the knee? Suppose you'd better err on side of caution and rest it a bit?
    michellenman not doing that race with Ray, is it Phoenix pk?
    Black Oil - wouldn't a half hour jog improve your focus on said dissertation?! (only joking!!!) been there myself, is nearly as bad as being in labour...
    I did a nearly 5k urban trail in Tymon pk today, was roasting! Nearly fainted but did it, time was about 31mins I think.... Ah well at least it got me out of house for the morning!
    anyone doing the docklands runs in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Be||e

I attempted a run today for the first time in ages. I thought I was going to die in the heat!

I did about 5k, alternating between jogging and walking. I nearly didn't recognise my face in the mirror when I got in, it was so red! :o

It felt good to get out again. I am definitely going to try to make it a regular thing. It's hard though as I've been working long hours and am supposed to be studying too.

Those urban trails look really interesting - I might sign up for the April 4k. :)

Hey Belle! You should defo give the urban trail a go, yesterday I was suffering with a cold but still almost enjoyed myself! A very friendly crowd there yesterday, plenty of support on way round and large cheers for any late finishers. Am hoping will be fighting fit for next race. Or would settle for fit-ish!:p

NCONTHEMC wrote: »
    Barbiegirl did you try icing the knee? Suppose you'd better err on side of caution and rest it a bit?
    michellenman not doing that race with Ray, is it Phoenix pk?
    Black Oil - wouldn't a half hour jog improve your focus on said dissertation?! (only joking!!!) been there myself, is nearly as bad as being in labour...
    I did a nearly 5k urban trail in Tymon pk today, was roasting! Nearly fainted but did it, time was about 31mins I think.... Ah well at least it got me out of house for the morning!
    anyone doing the docklands runs in Dublin?

I've signed up for the Docklands runs.....Exhausted after a weekend away in Connemara, and I have a VERY twangy calf muscle after getting a bit overexcited at the beautiful location and running much further than I normally would on Saturday. I wonder would going out with the Donore Fit4Lifers this evening be foolish, or is that me just finding more excuses???

Went out with the Fit4Life group in the Phoenix Park tonight - and it was great! Lovely bunch of women just about my level of ability (or a bit better, which is even better!). And what an evening for it!

It was soooo much easier than plodding around on my own.

Thanks so much to whoever gave me the tipoff about the Fit4Life groups - seems like just what I needed!

(starmcmahon - where were you???)

Went out with the Fit4Life group in the Phoenix Park tonight - and it was great! Lovely bunch of women just about my level of ability (or a bit better, which is even better!). And what an evening for it!

It was soooo much easier than plodding around on my own.

Thanks so much to whoever gave me the tipoff about the Fit4Life groups - seems like just what I needed!

(starmcmahon - where were you???)

Hello, raging i missed last night I got delayed in work on a stupid conference call with the US. I will def be there on Wednesday :):)

Hello, raging i missed last night I got delayed in work on a stupid conference call with the US. I will def be there on Wednesday :):)

See you there, so! Stiff legs (very!) notwithstanding :D

Most definately :D Went out myself last nite and def was not the same :(
    Think it will be a wog! (walk/jog) along the canal in Phibsboro this eve and take advantage of the glorious weather :):)

Anyone out there?:eek: had chest infect so took few days off, ran about 4k sat morn. Will get out tonight if husband makes it home on time. Desperately trying to keep momentum up, terror of impending urban trail end of April is beginning to set in:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

Hi all, just started week four its been fine so far but I went out on an empty belly today and could hardly do what's called for in week one never again :pac: I doubt I'll be ready for the mini marathon but keeping my eyes peeled for fun runs over the summer.

Advertisement