Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Right so I started the C25k last year and got to week 4 before I gave up.
    DId it again this year and got to week 5 before I gave up.

Is it really sad to start over again? I just can't get myself past when it starts to get tough (I also hate running in my local park cause it's tiny and I feel everyone's looking at me, for that reason I don't run at weekends when there is loads of people).
    I do genuinely want to be able to run but I'm astmatic and really suck at running (not a natural athlete at all).

I get really paranoid that people are looking at how red I get but I'm kinda getting into now that I'm starting not to notice people around me.

Also, would you realy have to start at the very beginning?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Piglet85

At this time of year, shorts and a t-shirt is what I find most comfortable - but others will wear capris (the 3/4 length leggings) all year round. A light technical t-shirt is well worth it (think Nike Dri-Fit or Adidas Climacool, that sort of thing). Get a good sports bra too.

God, I'm so glad I asked, it hadn't even occurred to me about the sports bra! I'm quite flat chested but I know I needed one when I was kickboxing, plus my boobs balloon around period time, so it's definitiely worth getting a good one. Thanks! :)

Sorry, one more question! Do I need to wait a couple of hours after eating before I can go for a run? That's kind of awkward for me as the only way I can run on weekdays is in the evenings, which means either not going out until quite late, or else running before dinner. What to do? Help! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Ugh, I'm really sucking at this running thing! I just can't seem to do w6d3 all in one go at all. I've tried twice now and failed both times. My running form goes out the window, and I'm barely moving until, eventually, I come to a grinding halt. I'm quite disappointed as I've been super motivated since starting c25k. Anyone got any advice for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sara-lou

What about changing where you are running?

I run at this particular race course and the end of the lap it gets steeper and i have a mental block now and just can't finish the lap ever! I really have tried many times.. i find though there's some places where i run i can run for longer and at a better pace.

Its tough when your mind and your body don't want to go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Right so I started the C25k last year and got to week 4 before I gave up.
    DId it again this year and got to week 5 before I gave up.

Is it really sad to start over again? I just can't get myself past when it starts to get tough (I also hate running in my local park cause it's tiny and I feel everyone's looking at me, for that reason I don't run at weekends when there is loads of people).
    I do genuinely want to be able to run but I'm astmatic and really suck at running (not a natural athlete at all).

Not sad at all dammitjanet, I've had to restart a few times myself, as I'm sure a lot of people have. You know its something to be proud of that you keep trying.

Just wondering if you mentioned it to your Dr that you're running now - perhaps theres something available that can help inhaler wise?

I know what you're saying about feeling self conscious in the park but honestly people are probably too busy doing their own stuff they don't even notice. I'd be the same sometimes I go out at lunchtime in work and have to brave the comments :D But it's worth it in the end really. Perhaps you could walk/bus/drive to another place to do your run that would have less people?

Good luck

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Ugh, I'm really sucking at this running thing! I just can't seem to do w6d3 all in one go at all. I've tried twice now and failed both times. My running form goes out the window, and I'm barely moving until, eventually, I come to a grinding halt. I'm quite disappointed as I've been super motivated since starting c25k. Anyone got any advice for me?

Maybe it would help to repeat the previous week? Get your confidence back and then give it another shot? Somtimes as well you can just have a week where your energy is low too - so repeating an earlier week might give you a slight rest and then you'll be raring to go the following week :D

Piglet85 wrote: »
    Sorry, one more question! Do I need to wait a couple of hours after eating before I can go for a run? That's kind of awkward for me as the only way I can run on weekdays is in the evenings, which means either not going out until quite late, or else running before dinner. What to do? Help! :)

I often run before my dinner in the evenings. Are you worried about being hungry if you haven't eaten since lunch?
    I don't know if you need to wait a couple of hours after eating - for example I might go out in the morning not long after breakfast and be fine. but I don't think I'd go straight after a big feed.

sara-lou wrote: »

I run at this particular race course and the end of the lap it gets steeper and i have a mental block now and just can't finish the lap ever! I really have tried many times.. i find though there's some places where i run i can run for longer and at a better pace.

Maybe it would help to repeat the previous week? Get your confidence back and then give it another shot? Somtimes as well you can just have a week where your energy is low too - so repeating an earlier week might give you a slight rest and then you'll be raring to go the following week :D

Thanks, Sarah-lou and Krankykitty! Think I might change my route and give w6d3 one more go; if I can't do it then I'll repeat the entire week - bleugh!

I'll let you know how I get on.

I often run before my dinner in the evenings. Are you worried about being hungry if you haven't eaten since lunch?
    I don't know if you need to wait a couple of hours after eating - for example I might go out in the morning not long after breakfast and be fine. but I don't think I'd go straight after a big feed.

Yeah I'm not sure if I'll be able to run if I haven't eaten til lunch, I'm too food obsessed to do that without it probably impacting on my run! :pac: Maybe I could just have a little light snack before I run to keep the hunger at bay... Thanks! :)

I went runners shopping this morning and then headed out for W1D1 this evening! So pleased with myself! Found it tough in places - the second last run was the toughest point for me for some reason - but I survived it and feel great. YAY! :D

• Advertisement

Just back from W1D2 and so disappointed in myself! Day 1 went great, but today I found it much harder, which I totally didn't expect. I had to stop early on two of the runs (only 5-10 seconds, but still), couldn't walk as fast in between, and was finding it hard to get enough air into my lungs if that makes sense. Maybe I'm running too fast - I noticed some of the other runners I passed were going slower than I was. Also, the pollen count is high today and I'm destroyed with hayfever, so maybe that had something to do with it, but I don't know if that would make any sense? Has anyone else had the experience of finding it getting harder before it gets easier? I know it's only day 2 and too early to be despairing, but it started out so well! :(

Just back from W1D2 and so disappointed in myself! Day 1 went great, but today I found it much harder, which I totally didn't expect. I had to stop early on two of the runs (only 5-10 seconds, but still), couldn't walk as fast in between, and was finding it hard to get enough air into my lungs if that makes sense. Maybe I'm running too fast - I noticed some of the other runners I passed were going slower than I was. Also, the pollen count is high today and I'm destroyed with hayfever, so maybe that had something to do with it, but I don't know if that would make any sense? Has anyone else had the experience of finding it getting harder before it gets easier? I know it's only day 2 and too early to be despairing, but it started out so well! :(

Hey Piglet. Don't be hard on yourself, running is something that is very tough for beginners. I find even though I am running a little while I still find the first bit of the run the hardest always - its like i can't get enough breath in and my lungs are in bits. I might even have to take a small walk very early on. But then the end of the run is always better. Plus, you have your good days and your bad days depending on general energy levels etc. Just hang on in there :)

I'm also prone to sinusy problems and definitely can be affected by dust/pollen too. Sometimes I use the Sudafed nasal spray earlier in the day and it's not as bad.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Also, the pollen count is high today and I'm destroyed with hayfever, so maybe that had something to do with it, but I don't know if that would make any sense?
    That's entirely possible, I know my breathing gets quite ragged when the pollen count is high so that could have been a factor for you. You're better off running very early in the morning or late at night at this time of year if you are a hayfever sufferer.

Hey Piglet. Don't be hard on yourself, running is something that is very tough for beginners. I find even though I am running a little while I still find the first bit of the run the hardest always - its like i can't get enough breath in and my lungs are in bits. I might even have to take a small walk very early on. But then the end of the run is always better. Plus, you have your good days and your bad days depending on general energy levels etc. Just hang on in there :)

I'm also prone to sinusy problems and definitely can be affected by dust/pollen too. Sometimes I use the Sudafed nasal spray earlier in the day and it's not as bad.

That's entirely possible, I know my breathing gets quite ragged when the pollen count is high so that could have been a factor for you. You're better off running very early in the morning or late at night at this time of year if you are a hayfever sufferer.

Thanks so much, both of you. It's great being able to ask experienced runners about these things, makes me feel so much better!

The hayfever thing hadn't even crossed my mind before tonight...maybe I do need to start going out very early instead. I'll try that on Day 3. Thanks RK!

I did week2day3 today and I found it tough and i'm putting it down to hayfever. Its an absolute killer at the moment, making life really miserable :(. Damn you to hell Pollen!

So, after failing to get through w6d3 twice, I finally got it done today! I took Sara-lou and Krankykitty's advice on board and told myself that if I could only get through 20 mins then I'd re-do w6. I also changed the mid part of my routhe, which really helped. So, yay! Onwards with w7.

Well done Huzzah! I' terrified about week 6 I just keep trying not to think about!!

Week 3 day 1 done this morning, really thought I was gonna die half way through and than felt amazing at the end!!

I think it helped that I was on the seafront and there was 3 dolphins just off shore...felt like I was in a different country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

how is anyone even running in this heat...
    I miss running but i cant face that!!

bluewolf wrote: »
    how is anyone even running in this heat...
    I miss running but i cant face that!!

Tbh, I love it. Went out for 10km yesterday at about 12.30, slapped on the factor 50 (I'm pale :pac: ) beforehand, and had a really lovely run with a decent chunk of it in Tymon Park. Sweaty work, but it was fun :D

Wish I'd run to work this morning, would have got there quicker!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

hmmm
    I think I might just hide indoors and be unfit until the heat passes :pac:

• Advertisement

Go swimming?

Downside to summer running: I am wearing a sleeveless dress in work today. My farmers tan from wearing short-sleeved running tops is very obvious. :eek:

that's a good point I might be able to fit it in on friday/saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Be||e

I'm thinking of doing the St. James's Hospital Fun Run on the 21st July.

http://www.stjames.ie/funrun/

Now it's 6.5k and I can barely run 5k but I think it would be good motivation (something I've been lacking lately!)

Think I'll just go for it and sign up! :) Any other C25K graduates interested??

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    Well done Huzzah! I' terrified about week 6 I just keep trying not to think about!!

Week 3 day 1 done this morning, really thought I was gonna die half way through and than felt amazing at the end!!

I think it helped that I was on the seafront and there was 3 dolphins just off shore...felt like I was in a different country.

You'll be fine; you've gotten this far! W7D1 completed. It felt great today. I think I really got over a mental block when I - finally - got over w6d3. I realised on my last run that I take a while to hit my stride, so if the first bit is tough, I now know that, generally, it'll get easier.

I also changed my route a little bit in the middle, so I'm learning my way around the area I live, which is great because I moved to a new city recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sara-lou

Well done Huzzah!

Its about conquering the hurdles along the way, challenges keep it interesting! I finally completed my own mental block also, it feels brilliant. Might only be a small step but i was proud of myself as you should be also.

Well done Huzzah!

Its about conquering the hurdles along the way, challenges keep it interesting! I finally completed my own mental block also, it feels brilliant. Might only be a small step but i was proud of myself as you should be also.

Thanks, Sara-lou, and congrats on completing your own mental block.

W6D2 completed today; man, it's hot today!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Went running in the heat yesterday, not fun, but manageable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

I know its not one for the ART thread.

I was wondering if you ladies that run find it incredibly difficult when its your time of month??

I am running (well thats what I like to all it :rolleyes:) for about 10 months now and have discovered that it so hard for me at my time.

ANy tips how to make it better, or is just better not to run then???

Legs are soo heavy, my feet hardly left the footpath this evening!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Just about finished w10d3 of c210k a couple of days ago. Found it very hard(5 mins warm up, 22 mins jog/run, 1 min walk, 22 mins jog/run, 5 mins cooldown). I had to take an extra minute and a half in the middle but tried to add it on at the end. I also had a niggle at the back of my heel by the end. Supposed to be starting w11d1 today and I can't seem to motivate myself after how hard I found it the last day :-(

• Advertisement

Roesy - Sometimes bad days just happen. If you were doing it a couple of days ago heat and pollen may have been a factor - it is a bit cooler today so you may find things easier. Give it a go anyway - nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Ilovered - exercise is great for cramps, even if it doesn't feel like it at the time! It's definitely better to run at that time of the month if you can - if you need to, shift around your schedule so that you have short, easy runs when things are at their worst.

Advertisement