Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

Haven't been posting in this thread - used to post in the Fitness forum one. I completed C25K a few weeks ago and have been working up to 10km. I'm doing the mini-marathon on 6th June. I'm kind of excited about it.

I haven't been out in 10 days due to after-work commitments and laziness at the weekend :o but am heading out later. I expect that I won't be able to do as much as I'd like tonight but am aiming to do 7km on Thursday and keep building on that before M-M.

I won't have run 10km before the 6th but I reckon I've worked on my pacing enough to be able to do it on the day.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

boosh_fan wrote: »
    I won't have run 10km before the 6th but I reckon I've worked on my pacing enough to be able to do it on the day.
    If you've completed 7-8km in training then you'll be fine for 10km on the day. 7km on Thursday, maybe try 8-9km on Sunday, and then keep your runs below 6km next week so that you're fresh and good to go on June 6. :)

Great, thanks for the advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

If you've completed 7-8km in training then you'll be fine for 10km on the day. 7km on Thursday, maybe try 8-9km on Sunday, and then keep your runs below 6km next week so that you're fresh and good to go on June 6. :)

That is such a relief to hear! I'm only hitting 7km on my runs so far and I was really worried about my ability to do 10k on June 6th.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I was kinda dreading it as I am barely managing 6km-6.5 with gaps at the moment, I am a few weeks behind :o

• Advertisement

Gauge wrote: »
    That is such a relief to hear! I'm only hitting 7km on my runs so far and I was really worried about my ability to do 10k on June 6th.

Adrenaline will carry you the rest of the 10k on the day. I only ever ran 5 miles in training for my first 10k and managed the distance just fine.
    bluewolf wrote: »
    I was kinda dreading it as I am barely managing 6km-6.5 with gaps at the moment, I am a few weeks behind :o
    If you've still got gaps there - you could try doing the 10k as intervals. 5 minute run, 1 minute walk should get you around.

just back from mine. Only managed 5km and about 1km of that was walked. Was on a busy post-work route and had to stop for lights etc. On Thursday, I'll go to Phoenix Park and try for 7-7.5. Have done 6.5km before so reckon it was just hard to get back after 12 days of nothing. Optimism gets you 2km further - isn't that what they say??? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

So after about 7 weeks of not running (I have some excuses but most of it was laziness) I went back to it again a couple of days ago.
    I have been circuit training the whole time so my fitness hasn't stalled completely.

I finished off on week 4 the last time I properly ran. My 1st proper session back I ran 6mins, walked 5mins, ran 6mins and walked 3mins. Not quite the week 5 times in the programme.
    On my 2nd session back I did much better. My goal was to run 6mins again as I had done that the last time.
    When I reached 6mins I decided to keep running cuz I felt ok. Decided I was gonna go as long as I could.
    Ended up running 12mins, walking 4mins and running 5mins.
    Delighted I got 12mins without stopping as I feel I broke a barrier.

Hopefully I can do the 20mins no problem soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭msbusterpuss

I only started doing this 4 weeks ago, so im up to five minutes running, i know its not much but im absolutely so proud of myself! :D

just wondering. I did it last night - i know they say take a break ie a rest day, but i couldnt get to gym on monday cos of President Obama, so went last night, and need to go tonight cos i cant go tomorrow night, that should be ok shouldnt it?:confused:

Shouldn't be a problem, just have a good stretchout afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

I used to jog on and off over the last few years. Lately its been more off than on but since lurking around this thread I've been inspired by everyones hard work so I signed up for Flora and got back to some training.
    Last night was the first time its clicked for me and i managed to do just over four miles in 45 mins which was the longest run I've had in a year. Well chuffed today. Thanks everyone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭msbusterpuss

Shouldn't be a problem, just have a good stretchout afterwards.

ok good thanks never even thought of that - am going to a body sculpt class after so im sure that will stretch me out a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Back on this again today - W1D1 - got up at 7 to do it and had quite the sense of achievement at having it done and all by 8am :)
    Need better music, I'm using the Ipod Touch app with my own music but need to fix it so I actually feel motivated to run instead of it hitting slower songs when I need a kick.

I just finished EI10k :D Oh yeah!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,341 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Not been out in ages as this essay has been kicking my arse, but that's nearly sorted so I should get back out tomorrow. Hoping I can still manage 30 mins after having neglected running duties.

Anyone else racing this weekend? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Angelandie

Anyone else racing this weekend? ;)

How did your race go?

W3d3 done! Ankle was a bit sore from all the walking at Slane this weekend, but managed ok, although I was slower than normal on the runs...

Angelandie wrote: »
    How did your race go?
    Crap, I raced while sick and I really shouldn't have. My time was 26.02, which I'm horribly disappointed with. If I wasn't sick I should have been finishing in around 24 minutes.

In total tonight I did:

64 minutes of running
    6 minutes of walking

= 9.3km!! I'm almost there :D

Sweat wicking tops are the business. It felt so great not having sweat dripping down my back.

What kind of runs are other people planning for the days leading up to the Flora Mini Marathon? I've heard shorter runs are better to not tire yourself out, but how intense should those shorter runs be?

40-50 minute runs at your current intensity should be fine.

• Advertisement

I did 8km yesterday which took me 1hour 05min :eek:

Will do 6km tomorrow, Thursday and Saturday and rest on Sunday before Monday. Had initially intended doing the mini-marathon in approx one hour but I'm revising my target and hoping to do it within 1hr 20min.

I'm scared and excited at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Oh ladies, I need a rant. Just back after my run tonight and this is my second week of trying to get back into it. I seem to be getting worse! When I got back into it last week I could do 8 mins in a row, then last time I went out I was at 12 mins, and then I had loads of work events and stuff on at the weekend so I went out tonight after bout 6 days and I had to stop after 5 mins! I could barely get back into it although I forced myself.

I really didn't enjoy it, it felt like my head and jaws was going to explode (dehydrated?) and I just feel so demoralised and dissappointed. I will have to go back to about week 5 I'd say. :( Woe is me.

In happier news, I'm off to do my Cooking Club recipe!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

8.4km in 55 mins last night. Happily surprised with myself :) I'm looking forward to Monday now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Lost Arrow

Hey guys,I'm in the process of reading all the pages in this forum.I think you guys are an inspiration.I took the plunge and started C25K on Sun.I've gained a bit of weight recently and decided to nip it in the bud before things spiral downwards.After my first run,I still can't get over how unfit I am. :(I do go to the gym occassionally but jogging is something I've always found tough.

I just completed W1D2 today and I feel good.I would love to follow through with this and actually be able to jog properly at the end of it.So far so good...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

I can't make it up to the RDS this weekend, does anyone know if my brother can get my number for me? I'm afraid he won't be able to get in because its in the World Womans show, will my acceptance letter be enough for him or will he be expected to pay in?!

EDIT: woops I thought I was in the mini marathon thread!!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

I'm so annoyed/frustrated with myself! After completing the c 2 5k program I've lost all motivation! Was meanta do a 5k race but was sick so couldn't. I'm fully recovered now but feel like I've lost my stride, have no interest in going out to run, only managed 20 mins a few days ago when I did 'attempt' a run! I know I'm able to do it but I just won't :(

I'm thinking if I go back and do week 9 podcasts again it might motivate me again but I need someone to give me a kick up the a*se to physically go out and run! Hopefully admitting it here might give me a push in the right direction, rant over- thanks for reading!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

Once you go out for a couple or runs you'll get back into it. Maybe go for a few easy runs to ease yourself back into the running at the start and then maybe start picking up the pace.

Couple of suggestions:

- Run with friends. If you've got any running friends, then being able to have a bit of a chat with them along the way makes the miles go by quickly
    - Change your routes. It's easy to get bored of using the same routes all the time.
    - Enter another 5k (or possibly a longer race - maybe the race series 5 mile in July) - if you've got that date marked on your calendar it acts as a motivator.
    - Buy yourself a new piece of running gear - if you buy it, you have to use it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I went on my first run in about 2 weeks down at home(yesterday), brought the mothers dog with me. He flew along with me but got tired and I ended up walking a bit more than running, I got about 5k done in about 45mins. I know I can do better.

My sister, sister in law and sister in laws friend are running it so I will probably run with them for a while. Does anyone know if you are allowed to use earphones?

I'll have to put on sunscreen if the weather is gonna stay like this! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

I went on my first run in about 2 weeks down at home(yesterday), brought the mothers dog with me. He flew along with me but got tired and I ended up walking a bit more than running, I got about 5k done in about 45mins. I know I can do better.

My sister, sister in law and sister in laws friend are running it so I will probably run with them for a while. Does anyone know if you are allowed to use earphones?

I'll have to put on sunscreen if the weather is gonna stay like this! :)

says on the rules thinkgy i got today they discourage wearing earphones, kinda bummed too cause was hoping i could use it ti give me a boost when i got tired, ah well:)

Advertisement