Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Angelandie wrote: »
    If this keeps up will need to get some Capri pants, nearly lost my trackies as they got waterlogged :o

For the summer, it would be a good plan to get some anyway. You'll feel much more comfortable on warmer days if you do.
    intouch44 wrote: »
    am due to do w9d2 today but my left ankle is a little sore only since yest, what should I do? chance it or rest?

Only you can answer this - if it is *very* sore I would get it checked out, if you think a rest day might help then take one, if you think it's just a little niggle then give it a try today but stop instantly if it gets any worse at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭smallbrowncat

Just thought I'd pop in to wave my hands about and shout some words of encouragement to ye all! I'm a C25K graduate (started a couple of days after Christmas) and now I'm training to be able to do a 10K in less than an hour. Skipped ahead on the training a bit because I'm running the RunHer 10K tomorrow in Belfast! :D

Just got in from a 5k now round the Phoenix Park. It may feel awful at first getting into running regularly, but it's worth it... nothing gets all the stress an anxiety out of you like a good run! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

decided to throw a bit of strength training in alongside my running, so signed myself up for a kettlebell class starting in about three weeks. dug out my 30 day shred dvd wednesday and borrowed my OHs weights.

:eek: In so much pain! Did a run Thurs night and another just there, and had to stop for a quick 30sec walk after 10 mins and again at 20 mins, legs were like jelly. never realised i was such a weakling! :o

Skipped ahead on the training a bit because I'm running the RunHer 10K tomorrow in Belfast! :D
    Best of luck! Let us know how you get on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Anyone know where I can get a non touristy bum bag that could be worn under my gear. Cannot run with my phone In my pocket as it weighs it down

• Advertisement

Could you try an armband for it?

Could you try an armband for it?

Arm bands do not cover the whole thing. I tried runways the day before yesterday and nothing would fit it. The one for the I phone wouldn't fit it. Is there such a thing as an extra thin bumbag, its only for phone, money, keys etc

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

Most luggage shops sell travel wallets or travel money belts that sound like they might be what you're looking for. It could be a bit uncomfortable though, I don't know.

For money, I keep an emergency €10 under the insole of my trainer and I thread my front door key through the laces of my shoe; might be an idea for you if you can find another solution for your phone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Like. A. Boss.
    :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Best run I've had in weeks.

Feet don't agree, torn and blistered to shreds, time to get more proper blister socks :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Best of luck! Let us know how you get on :)

I just got my results for the Belfast RunHer! 01:03:48 :) Feeling very pleased as at Christmastime I was quite the immobile and unfit blob! Couldn't run 30metres without stopping (I timed it and was horrified, haha!). I ran the whole way except for two 10 second walks up the hill at Stormont on the second lap (nearly fell over with the jelly legs, but I kept going!!) :D

I'm doing the Flora Mini Marathon next month and I really hope I can do it in an hour... 4 minutes is quite a bit to shave off though!

:)

• Advertisement

Arm bands do not cover the whole thing. I tried runways the day before yesterday and nothing would fit it. The one for the I phone wouldn't fit it. Is there such a thing as an extra thin bumbag, its only for phone, money, keys etc

Maybe have a look at Wiggle.co.uk? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/run/clothing-accessories/

I am also dissatisfied with the bumbags I've looked at. Currently I run with my iphone in the back pocket of my pants (around the bum area) but it's not idea. And my phone gets sweaty!!

I just got my results for the Belfast RunHer! 01:03:48 :) Feeling very pleased as at Christmastime I was quite the immobile and unfit blob! Couldn't run 30metres without stopping (I timed it and was horrified, haha!). I ran the whole way except for two 10 second walks up the hill at Stormont on the second lap (nearly fell over with the jelly legs, but I kept going!!) :D

I'm doing the Flora Mini Marathon next month and I really hope I can do it in an hour... 4 minutes is quite a bit to shave off though!

:)

Congrat, that's great for your first 10k! Keep the training up, start in the right position (send them proof of your result from this and you should be able to get in as a Fast Jogger) and you'll give yourself a good chance of hitting the hour next month.

(also, there is a 10k in Dunshaughlin on June 25 that half the A/R/T forum is going to if you want to have another go after the Mini-Marathon ;) )

Congrat, that's great for your first 10k! Keep the training up, start in the right position (send them proof of your result from this and you should be able to get in as a Fast Jogger) and you'll give yourself a good chance of hitting the hour next month.

(also, there is a 10k in Dunshaughlin on June 25 that half the A/R/T forum is going to if you want to have another go after the Mini-Marathon ;) )

Brilliant, thanks!!! Had a day off today, back in the park tomorrow morning! :d

Definitely keen for the race in Dunshaughlin - that day's my birthday, and I was looking for another race! Is there a specific thread discussing it in A/R/T? Will sign up now!

Here is the A/R/T events thread, but there's been a lot more face-to-face discussion.

Day after my birthday too, good reason to treat ourselves to PBs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

hi lovely running ladies,

So I've been working my socks off for the past month or so - doing some shift work where my hours have been insane (7 12 hour shifts in a row one week!! :eek:) so my running has totally fallen off.

I'm back to normal hours now so want to get back into it but cannot face going back to the start or even half way through the C25K - could I just run and see how long I can last or is that a bad idea?

Just go out and see how you get on. You'll know then where you're at in terms of your fitness - and do bear in mind that the first run back will feel a little tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Woo I'm back in business :D I missed almost 2 weeks between organising for my US trip, which then got cancelled! Then I was sick with a chest infection for almost a week. I tried to go out last Friday but I had to abandon the run, which I've never had to do before. I just hit a wall and couldn't keep going. I finally got out again last night for W9D1 and finished without any major difficulties or decreases in my usual speed, so yay for that!

5 more runs until I'm finished EI10k. I can't believe I ran for 54 minutes last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

after a full week off ( :o) I have just completed w9d2, delighted!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

Would it be alright to do most of the program on consecutive days?

I'm not overweight or anything and I'm used to exercise and activity, so I don't think it would be any problem in that sense.

I'm just wondering as I am just back from two long term injuries and am going to start this when I get my holidays over to summer to build up my fitness. I don't want to spend nine weeks just to get to 5KM, as I want to make big gains in fitness over the summer.

Like, would it be okay to do five consecutive days, or would that be too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Desire. wrote: »
    Would it be alright to do most of the program on consecutive days?

I'm not overweight or anything and I'm used to exercise and activity, so I don't think it would be any problem in that sense.

I'm just wondering as I am just back from two long term injuries and am going to start this when I get my holidays over to summer to build up my fitness. I don't want to spend nine weeks just to get to 5KM, as I want to make big gains in fitness over the summer.

Like, would it be okay to do five consecutive days, or would that be too much?

I am no expert, but perhaps you could start half through the program if you feel able for it. Maybe start on week 4 or 5 and see how you go.

A lot of people here would say that you should have a rest day in between (where you can do other exercise like walking or swimming etc), but maybe that is for novices.

• Advertisement

Monife wrote: »
    I am no expert, but perhaps you could start half through the program if you feel able for it. Maybe start on week 4 or 5 and see how you go.

Not really an option at the moment. I can't walk up a big stairs without getting panned after my long time out.

If you are recovering from injury, then 5 days in a row isn't such a good idea. I'm currently rebuilding mileage after injury myself, and my first few weeks back on the road had 3-4 short runs, with a day or two of rest, strengthening or core work between them. If you are seeing a physio in relation to the injuries, I would advise you to discuss it with them too.

If you are recovering from injury, then 5 days in a row isn't such a good idea. I'm currently rebuilding mileage after injury myself, and my first few weeks back on the road had 3-4 short runs, with a day or two of rest, strengthening or core work between them. If you are seeing a physio in relation to the injuries, I would advise you to discuss it with them too.

Yeah, it's only a sprained ankle and tight quads, but I haven't really done anything in two or three months.

I'm fine now though, but I'm waiting until after my Junior Cert (I'm sixteen if that matters) to start getting my fitness back.

Why wait? Couch to 5k only requires half an hour from you 3 times a week, and I can tell you from personal experience (I've run all the way through final year of undergrad and through my masters) that short workouts are great for dealing with exam stress, and will improve your concentration when you return to study afterwards.

I went for a run last night. Started back on W5D1 and did about 12 minutes of the 15 minute runs...... :( It's a start at least! :) I might go for another run later....my legs are slightly stiff today....it feels wonderful! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I want to go for a run tonight. stupid foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

w9d3 done woohoo :D I'm finished c2 5k- delighted with myself, can't believe I stuck with it and made it to the end, I can honestly say I would not have stuck it out if this thread did not exist so thank you to anyone who took the time to read my posts and to those of you who replied, it really was the encouragement and motivation I needed!!!!

am doing my 1st 5k race next weekend so no doubt I'll be back in nearer the time with 101 questions!!! but now I'm off to order those shorts I promised myself- yipee :D

Yay, congratulations on finishing Couch to 5k - and best of luck next weekend :D

Btw - this is a few tips I posted back in March for your first race, hope it helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Be||e

W8D1 fail!! :(

I was just over half way through when I had to slow down to a walk due to a stitch. Then it began to rain torrentially (with some hail added in for extra fun) - it was blowing right in my face and I could barely see two inches in front of me. I made an attempt to run in it but it just wasn't happening!

The rain (and my stitch) eased off but I just couldn't seem to run for any length of time after that - my whole body felt like lead!

Ended up walking most of the way home, drenched, with my clothes stuck to my body and feeling like I was going to puke for a few minutes! :confused:

Was disappointing but I guess I was just having a bad day!

• Advertisement

Don't worry about it, today was a crappy, crappy day to run in general because of the weather (I had a 40 second per mile difference between my pace into the wind and out of the wind, lol). Straight back on board with W8D2 in a couple of days from now.

Advertisement