Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

W9D1 completed today - yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Just started back jogging this morning after a few weeks off after an injury. It is such great exercise.

I would urge anyone considering starting to do it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Hi Moonboy,

We can't give out any specific medical advice here, but a few general suggestions:

- Have you been fitted properly for a pair of running shoes? If not, then it would be a good idea.
    - Stretch your calf muscles after working out.
    - Some discomfort is pretty normal when you are just starting out, particularly if you are carrying a bit of extra weight, as your muscles and joints adjust to the extra strain. If what you are feeling could better be described as "pain" rather than "discomfort", then it would be worthwhile getting it checked out.

Thanks Kirby!

I will look into your suggestions.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

By the way, for anyone who is just starting out (or getting back on the wagon :pac: ) - it's pretty much exactly 9 weeks to a really good 5k race in Dublin (the Rathfarnham 5k). Course is as flat as a pancake and with a relatively large field it's great for beginners.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

and its only down the road from me :D
    perfect!

Will be doing it myself anyway - hoping for a 23:xx, but we shall see! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Will be doing it myself anyway - hoping for a 23:xx, but we shall see! :)

i sense another running beers coming on :D

bluewolf wrote: »

If there's a few from here doing it, then it would be a good opportunity for a tLL Sunday morning/afternoon meetup :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 scottishtulip

I did W3D1 yesterday and felt like my lungs were burning! Managed to keep going though and just signed up for my first 5K so hopefully will help me keep motivated :)

• Advertisement

Officially finished Couch25k tonight, although I think I'll redo w9. Any suggestions on what plan to do then? I don't really like the idea of going back to intervals, like those in Ease into 10k an Bridge to 10k, so I was thinking of doing the novice Hal Higdon 8K plan that I found here: http://www.halhigdon.com/8K/8knovsch.htm. But if anyone thinks I'd be better sticking to the interval-type plans, please let me know - I don't want to "run before I can walk", for want of a better expression :o

I'm a bit of a fan of the Hal Higdon novice 8k/10k plans as a followup to Couch to 5k. I know that when I was doing Couch to 5k, as soon as week 6 was over I was delighted to be running continuously rather than taking walking breaks. If you know you prefer that, then there's nothing wrong with picking a Higdon plan (the 8k and novice 10k plans are both good) and sticking to it for the next 8 weeks. For what it's worth, I finished Couch to 5k in early September 2008, kept up with 3-4 30-40 minute runs a week, did my first 5k race about a month after I finished it (the aforementioned Rathfarnham 5k), and then started the Higdon 10k novice program after that for an early December 10k race (Aware 10k).

I'm a bit of a fan of the Hal Higdon novice 8k/10k plans as a followup to Couch to 5k. I know that when I was doing Couch to 5k, as soon as week 6 was over I was delighted to be running continuously rather than taking walking breaks. If you know you prefer that, then there's nothing wrong with picking a Higdon plan (the 8k and novice 10k plans are both good) and sticking to it for the next 8 weeks. For what it's worth, I finished Couch to 5k in early September 2008, kept up with 3-4 30-40 minute runs a week, did my first 5k race about a month after I finished it (the aforementioned Rathfarnham 5k), and then started the Higdon 10k novice program after that for an early December 10k race (Aware 10k).

Thanks, Kirby. Think I'll do another few 30 minute runs and then start Hal Higdon's 8k plan next week. Having a plan to follow is a great motivater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭jenny111111

Into the 25 minute zone actually just kept going through week 6 day 2 caus I just felt I was able :) Ran 4K so the end is in sight, 7 weeks ago I couldn't run for 40 seconds !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

By the way, for anyone who is just starting out (or getting back on the wagon :pac: ) - it's pretty much exactly 9 weeks to a really good 5k race in Dublin (the Rathfarnham 5k). Course is as flat as a pancake and with a relatively large field it's great for beginners.
    I'm getting back into my running in the last few weeks, so this is great news, thanks Kirby!
    bluewolf wrote: »
    And this may be just the motivation I need to keep at it! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MonGal

Hey all, am a long time lurker....recently started c25k, completed 2 weeks, and am now laid up with a banjaxed knee!:( loved it, and can't wait until i'm back in action!

MonGal wrote: »
    Hey all, am a long time lurker....recently started c25k, completed 2 weeks, and am now laid up with a banjaxed knee!:( loved it, and can't wait until i'm back in action!

This happened to me last year on week 3, how long do you think you'll be out for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MonGal

I might try to get back into it next week, but will probably have to start at w1d1 again, don't want to rush back into it and possibly do more damage! absolutely itching to get started again, but unfortunately the knee has different ideas!:rolleyes: How long were you out for jenny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 starsinmyeyes

Starting a couch to 5k on Wednesday in Howth with healthpro. Cannot wait, I will document my progress here :)

MonGal wrote: »
    I might try to get back into it next week, but will probably have to start at w1d1 again, don't want to rush back into it and possibly do more damage! absolutely itching to get started again, but unfortunately the knee has different ideas!:rolleyes: How long were you out for jenny?

I ended up being out for ages, and never went back :( till this year :cool:, the knee acted up at first, turned out it was down to fallen arches which are sorted easily with insoles, got back into it (probably too fast) a few weeks later, got shin splints from the combination of running on concrete & having some very inexperienced legs (that can affect the knees too!) .

I'd reccommend going to a physio if you havnt already to make sure you dont have bad arches & if your new to running and already having knee problems try running on grass instead, I did that this time round and I havnt had any knee issues at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Luckylaydee

HI...I've just done the W1D1 and tbh I feel great. :D:D at the moment I think I'm looking forward to W1D2... I'm 5', about 93kgs so not at my healthiest. This is my first time running let alone exercising in a VERY long time...my question is this....because I've haven't run/exercised in YEARS do you think I should do week 1 a couple of times, then move on to week 2 etc..I don't mind it taking longer I just don't want to kill myself!!!!

See how you feel at the end of each week before deciding whether or not to repeat. You'll know yourself by how good/bad/indifferent you feel after each session whether you need to repeat or not. If you do need to repeat a week - there's nothing wrong with that, you're still getting out 3 times a week, and you will still progress through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Have to get week 7 day 1 done today...the last couple of weeks have been a bit screwed up so my schedule is all over the place. I think its easier when I had the set days for a run as now I feel a bit under pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 scottishtulip

Totally didn't feel like it- wanted to be lazy but made myself go out and do W4D2 and felt so good for it!
    Signed up for a 5k back home in September so have to keep going now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Did a Fartlek session last night for the first time. It was great fun but boy it was hard work. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Luckylaydee

Week 1 completed!! Yay!!!! Have another quick question...I have been getting numbness in my right toes towards the end of the session, thought it might have been my runners, so went out bought myself a new pair and today on my last day of week one the numbness has spread to my foot, really uncomfortable to jog in..anyone else had this problem???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,221 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Question, is it possible to overhydrate yourself before a race? I've not done this, but am wondering if it's possible and if you'd have all this water sloshing around inside you which might be icky. :rolleyes: :pac:

Week 1 completed!! Yay!!!! Have another quick question...I have been getting numbness in my right toes towards the end of the session, thought it might have been my runners, so went out bought myself a new pair and today on my last day of week one the numbness has spread to my foot, really uncomfortable to jog in..anyone else had this problem???

Check your lacing - sometimes if your runners are laced too tightly then it can cause numbness. Your shoe might also be half a size too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I broke my 5th metatarsal earlier this year, got the all clear to go back jogging a few weeks ago and was taking it slow. Now I am in agony, my foot and ankle are killing me and my doc has advised to stop running and get physio. My physio says it will be 2 years before I am fully back to normal and no running for the foreseeable future. I am absolutely gutted. :(

• Advertisement

I broke my 5th metatarsal earlier this year, got the all clear to go back jogging a few weeks ago and was taking it slow. Now I am in agony, my foot and ankle are killing me and my doc has advised to stop running and get physio. My physio says it will be 2 years before I am fully back to normal and no running for the foreseeable future. I am absolutely gutted. :(

Very sorry to hear that :(

Advertisement