Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Ramette, I'm borrowing your Matt Damon idea!

Did W3D2 today and ran on grass to take it easier on my knees. Was a bit boring just running around the pitch but my knees were definitely better than the last time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Ramette wrote: »
    I HATE you right now (but i mean that in the nicest way!) :)

Trust me, if I can do it, anyone can! :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Doctor's visit went well. My knees are fine, the niggling isn't anything serious. She said to run on grass as much as humanly possible. Because I'm carrying a bit of extra weight, I'm planning to repeat the first two or three weeks for 3 or 4 weeks each, or until they stop being a challenge, just until I drop a bit of weight and my joints can handle the extra stress. Sounds boring, but I'm ok with that!

Sounds like a sensible plan. Good luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

Havent posted in a few days, started w2d1 on Sunday, found it relatively ok, done w2d2 on Tuesday on the road again and found that harder but I'm intent on finishing it out, starting w2d3 today, not looking forward to the 3 min run in w3 but it has to be done :)

Edit: W2d3 completed !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Gauge wrote: »
    Aaaand that's W9D3 done and dusted! Meaning I've officially completed C25K :D Yaaaay!

Well done you. Now you have to start on 5K2C*. Shouldn't take more than a week... ;):D

* 5K to Couch...

• Advertisement

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Well done you. Now you have to start on 5K2C*. Shouldn't take more than a week... ;):D

* 5K to Couch...

Now now, don't be like that :pac: (was fully convinced though that 5k2c from you would be 5k To Cycling...)

Next step is to go sign up for a race :D

Totally agree. Just seemed the logical thing to do... :pac:

I was never into the running myself, couldn't see the point. However, I do get the same 'could go on forever' feeling described here from the cycling...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

@bluewolf- I'll be doing my W7D3 on Saturday morning too...have you signed up to do any race?

Seriously is a race the next step? Was thinking after c25k to do 5k to 10k but not sure about this as 10k is a much bigger time commitment?

It's up to yourself really - a race just gives a goal, a way of staying focused, and of evaluating your performance. To be honest, the difference in the time commitment for training for a 5k vs training for your first 10k isn't huge - if you're running 4-5km 3 times a week, you can slowly build one of those runs until you reach the 10km distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

i remember before someone posted a link to a program that lets you make your own podcast-does anyone have it? for PC please. I've been doing it with the podcasts from running into shape so far and I can't stand Carlys music anymore!

• Advertisement

You can do pretty much anything with Audacity. Load up your music tracks, load up the voice timings track and export your personal podcast...

You'll have do download the voice prompts somewhere first though.

You can do pretty much anything with Audacity. Load up your music tracks, load up the voice timings track and export your personal podcast...

You'll have do download the voice prompts somewhere first though.

that's the one! thanks a million. i have the voice prompts downloaded alright, can't remember where from but i have them! can't wait to be running to my own music!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Totally agree. Just seemed the logical thing to do... :pac:

I was never into the running myself, couldn't see the point. However, I do get the same 'could go on forever' feeling described here from the cycling...

My reward to myself for completing C25K was... getting a bike :eek:

I'm hoping to start the S2BGB* program any day now.

*stabilisers to big girl bike...

Ooh! Did you get one yet? If not, head over to the cycling forum and check out the regular 'new bike' / 'what bike' threads...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

pampootie, where did you download just the voice prompts? As much as I love carli, I would prefer to use my own music too.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

w1d3 completed today :) but since I had done d2 on Saturday & missed a few days due to illness, think I'll repeat d3 on Saturday and then start w2 on Monday. It wasn't too bad today, just my legs got sore early on but I persevered. Hopefully Saturday will be better & I'll feel ready for w2 on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I think I might repeat W3 altogether. I was on google earth last night and found that I was only doing about 4.5k...was a bit pissed off by it so I added another bit to my routine. The whole thing which is about 5.15k takes me about 37 minutes to do. :mad: (that included a 2minute sprint in my cool down walk, because I was mad at myself for being a bit slow!) Am I overreacting that I can't do 5k walking and running in the 30 minutes? :confused:

I downloaded a GPS app on my phone that tells me how long I'm working out for, how many miles I've done and how many calories I've burned but the bloody thing keeps on cutting off my music?(I've messed with the settings too! :mad: ) Probably took about 2 mins off my time :mad: Does anyone have a good free android app that will do the same job and not cut off my music?
    RANT!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ah squeaky dont care about the distance yet! you'll only cover a tiny amount in the first few weeks - you're not supposed to really cover 5k yet! Remember you aren't even running the whole half hour and even when you do, it'll be hard to reach 5k

actually i'm impressed you're even doing 4.5k on week 3

I'm not running 4.5k yet, its between walking and running. I did a lap around the pitch I usually run around and now I run down through housing estates. Total on google earth and that app is 5.15k.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm not running 4.5k yet, its between walking and running.
    Yes exactly, you're walking most of it so I'm surprised you're covering that much distance. I think I was on 3.5 at most for weeks!

• Advertisement

I thought I was doing crap! You've cheered me up now Bluewolf! :) Thanksies! :) xx

I thought I was doing crap! You've cheered me up now Bluewolf! :) Thanksies! :) xx

Glad to help!

I just wanted to add that the week seven description on my podcasts is:

This is week Seven and we now really begin to stretch our running towards our goal of running a 5 K. After we start with our usual Brisk five-minute warmup walk, we will then jog for 25 minutes, or about 2 and a half miles.

So even at week 7 don't expect to run 5km.

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    pampootie, where did you download just the voice prompts? As much as I love carli, I would prefer to use my own music too.

can't remember exactly where I downloaded it but it's by iestyn lloyd-googled it and you should be able to get them from http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/couch-to-5k/id330693850 or http://www.zaptunes.com/free-download/Iestyn+Lloyd.
    love your username btw. will the conchords make it onto your running playlist?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

given up on the running part for a while, untill i get abit fitter so just trying to walk everyday instead for a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

Thought I'd jump on board too for some inspiration.
    Started the programme this week, but started on week 3 because I had been doing a bit before.

Completed W3D2 tonight. I'm running on a treadmill and going by time rather than distance. Figured I'd get myself running for 1/2hr non-stop then work on getting the distance further.

Good luck with all your running endeavours this weekend - I'm currently on the bus to the airport heading for Barcelona for the marathon on Sunday. Hoping all goes well and my cold completely clears by then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

Good luck with all your running endeavours this weekend - I'm currently on the bus to the airport heading for Barcelona for the marathon on Sunday. Hoping all goes well and my cold completely clears by then!

best of luck kirby... all the loungers will be ... well lounging whilst you are running but we will think of you :D

I would hope ye are all lounging at that stage - race starts at 7.30am Irish time on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Good luck! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

Goodluck and fingers crossed about the cold.

Advertisement