Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you actually prefer if the Irish language didnt exist?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Wibbs wrote: »
    Not so sure about KeithAFC mind....
    É seo. *
    _meehan_ wrote: »
    Maths and Science will be taught through Irish, but he'll have the same knowledge as his peers who learned it in English. Best of both worlds really, fluent in Irish, same knowledge in other subjects.
    Are you for real? He might end up with better Irish, but definitely not with the same knowledge in other subjects - especially going forward - either to third level or into the workplace. I know, I was that student.

* This. :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

_meehan_ wrote: »
    Algebra is completely irrelevant unless one intends on becoming an engineer or something.

Or have a basic education!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

fastasfook wrote: »
    fair play to you and a fooking shame on any irish person that wants to get rid of our irish language. we are the only country in the WORLD thats speaks its native language second , and at that most of us cant speak it at all , i dare anyone to go to the west of ireland and say lets not speak irish anymore they are a great people shame on us the country might be fooked and the bastards running it are making a laugh of us but let us all never forget we are IRISH and be proud of that . i love the irish language the only trouble is i cant speak it fluently .

TIOCFAIDI AR LA

First of all it's Tiocfaidh ár lá, place emphasize on the fadas, it's in the pronunciation. Secondly when will our day come? Actually what day are we even talking about? The day when all of Ireland speaks fluent Irish? Not going to happen, sorry. Maybe the day then when Ireland is a unified country? Nah, not going to happen until over 50% of Northern Ireland wants it, and even when that does occurs it will just be civil war all over again. I'm guessing though by your level of spelling and grammar you weren't around for the Troubles? So of course you wouldn't know what the Troubles were really like, the thousands of innocent killed and the fúck all it accomplished in the end?

Wow, people like you really piss me off and it's all down to the idiotic use of that statement.

I recently listened to a couple of network engineers discussing the configuration of a Cisco router as Gaeilge, they were using Irish because someone had made the "irish is a dead language" comment and they proved him wrong! :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

RMD wrote: »
    I'm guessing though by your level of spelling and grammar you weren't around for the Troubles?
    Don't be so quick to presume. I suspect he was around for it albeit second hand.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

wibbs i dont know why you are so uptight about the irish language , did you have a bad experience or what, feel free to tell us , we are here to listen and help you over come it, are you english, but saying that i know a lot of english who speak irish. speaking about chips on shoulders , how are your shoulders
    This kinda level of argument is why I really fúcking weep for my own. "Are you English". Sweet zombie fúcking Jesus with a raging hangover asking WTF. Though even at times like this, in the face of a silly notion, unsullied by thought, culture and reason I'm still happy to say no.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

I was told at a young age that Irish was "different" and could not be taught like any other European language because it was unique. That to me sounded elitist, and those who used the term unfortunately seemed to come from the Gaeltacht, came from Gaelscoileanna and seemed to have a snobbery regarding it. Duirt sibh, ta se ag caint Gaeilge as an Leabhar (Can't do fada's lads.....so a rough translation is - "He said he is speaking book Irish".

It is how it is taught that is the problem. Teachers can teach, or teachers can inspire. The ones who do the latter are few and far between. When I was 10 (5th Class), finally there was a teacher who used European style methods, using his own notes. Generally most children are taught the Munster dialect as it is easier to pronounce, but it also crosses over to Connaught and Ulster dialects later - you can understand the other two dialects.

Some poetry and prose does need to be taught to show the syntax, the pattern of thought, the psychological flow. But initially, concentrate on the grammar, and after the grammar the rest will gradually fall in place. Conjugate verbs, present (Aimsir Laithreach), past (Aimsir Caite), future (Aimsir Fhaistineach), conditional (Modh Coiniollach). Thats the tedious bit, and needs to be imposed when a brain is fresh and capable of absorbing the information - preferably between 8 and 10 years of age. If you can write a language, speaking it will naturally follow, but I agree, much more emphasis should be on the spoken level.

Done correctly, the brain is then conditioned, wired if you like to learn other languages. So I am somewhat glad that Irish does exist. It made learning Spanish and Malay easier later on. But so much is dependent on the quality of the teacher on one hand. As much is dependent on parents who are committed to their children learning. The lack of integration between the Primary Level and Second Level curriculum is a problem that needs to be tackled. My written and spoken Irish was better at 12 than at 17. I was taught Spanish in 3 years. Malay....still learning.

There are more tools available today than the 1980's when I was taught. The Internet and Television media could be seen by conservative elements as a hindrance. I am optimistic, they are the potential saviour if used correctly. Incompetent teachers can be overcome as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Ah sure, Irish is great craic altogether

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 fastasfook

This kinda level of argument is why I really fúcking weep for my own. "Are you English". Sweet zombie fúcking Jesus with a raging hangover asking WTF. Though even at times like this, in the face of a silly notion, unsullied by thought, culture and reason I'm still happy to say no.
    wibbs your reply was funny and i must say sorry for anything stupid i said to you , SORRY

First of all it's Tiocfaidh ár lá, place emphasize on the fadas, it's in the pronunciation. Secondly when will our day come? Actually what day are we even talking about? The day when all of Ireland speaks fluent Irish? Not going to happen, sorry. Maybe the day then when Ireland is a unified country? Nah, not going to happen until over 50% of Northern Ireland wants it, and even when that does occurs it will just be civil war all over again. I'm guessing though by your level of spelling and grammar you weren't around for the Troubles? So of course you wouldn't know what the Troubles were really like, the thousands of innocent killed and the fúck all it accomplished in the end?

Wow, people like you really piss me off and it's all down to the idiotic use of that statement.
    RMD, yes i was around for the troubles , yes i did see some bad things not only in this country but in other countries as well , i am sorry if i offended anyone with my comments and lack of computer skills, and yes what has all the pain and death achieved, i am really sorry to all that were affected,and i will never bring such a subject up again. SORRY

• Advertisement

Don't be so quick to presume. I suspect he was around for it albeit second hand.
    i seen first hand as well, but as i wrote earlier i am sorry for any comments that were out of line

First of all it's Tiocfaidh ár lá, place emphasize on the fadas, it's in the pronunciation. Secondly when will our day come? Actually what day are we even talking about?

Next Monday when the results are in or am i being optomistic

• Registered Users Posts: 33,261 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Crosáidí wrote: »

Probably being optimistic, but then I must admit to sharing the optimism.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Ditto, though a large part of me is thinking the same old wine in new bottles....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

As relevant on a boards.IE forum as an ulster scot?:p

There ARE a few Ulster-Scots still left in Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal you know. Although not that its particularly relevant given that the Boards.ie is on the www
    I recently listened to a couple of network engineers discussing the configuration of a Cisco router as Gaeilge, they were using Irish because someone had made the "irish is a dead language" comment and they proved him wrong! :p
    How many English words were inserted into the conversation ?
    we are the only country in the WORLD thats speaks its native language second
    FAIL !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

orourkeda wrote: »
    Yes. Its a piece of sh1t

Get out of my country and stay gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

sdonn wrote: »

USA! USA! USA!

Thats a big piece of land you own ?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Takemyscars72

awful language,makes me wish I lived in the north.

Would you actually prefer if the Irish language didnt exist?

Is cuma liom :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

I find the attitude to Irish kinda shocking...I wonder does any other country have such a loathing of it's native language? Usually countries or regions with histories like ours are fiercely proud of their language - the Basques, Poles, Catalans and so on. English is a great, great language to have as our first tongue, for obvious reasons, but there's no reason why we couldn't be a bilingual nation - that way we'd have a head start as kids could start learning another language at an early age (and the earlier the better with languages). I'd love to bring up any future children speaking Irish and would send them to an Irish school. Whatever about LC Irish, I think all primary schools should be Gaelscoils.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,259 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I love my language and am proud to speak it.

Autosport wrote: »
    I love my language and am proud to speak it.
    Which language would this be ?
    Up-n-atom! wrote: »
    I think all primary schools should be Gaelscoils.

The problem: Compulsory Irish not working
    The Solution: More Compulsory Irish ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    The problem: Compulsory Irish not working
    The Solution: More Compulsory Irish ?

Your hardly trying to claim that Gaelscoileanna dont work? LOL.

Your hardly trying to claim that Gaelscoileanna dont work? LOL.

Im sure they work just fine if thats what one is into.

Now can you explain exactly what is your problem with choice ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,259 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Which language would this be

It would be the Irish Language :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Im sure they work just fine if thats what one is into.

Now can you explain exactly what is your problem with choice ?

Rushing into major restructuring of the education system on some crusade for choice will just end up in a mess, Lets have a clear progressive and above all evidience based policy.

I have no problem with reforming the Curriculum with a view to making Irish and other subjects optional, but just making changes for the hell of it, with out due diligence is in no ones best interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,261 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

What, Malahide has suddenly claimed independence?
    Up-n-atom! wrote: »
    ... English is a great, great language to have as our first tongue, for obvious reasons, but there's no reason why we couldn't be a bilingual nation - that way we'd have a head start as kids could start learning another language at an early age (and the earlier the better with languages). I'd love to bring up any future children speaking Irish and would send them to an Irish school. Whatever about LC Irish, I think all primary schools should be Gaelscoils.

Sorry, but no. One of our selling points of the Celtic Tiger years and one of the thngs FF actually did well, was to market us as a native English speaking country. You make every primary school a gaelscoil and you jeopardise that and right now, we don't need jeopardising.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭twistyj

I cant believe to so many self-loathing irish here. But i know they will be the first ones to try and speak it in a different country when asked to try and impress.

Be proud to be irish, be proud to have a native tongue even if you cant speak it.

P.S

and dont be usin words like proper chrimbo or corrie or top bloke. go live in england otherwise.:mad:

• Advertisement

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Sorry, but no. One of our selling points of the Celtic Tiger years and one of the thngs FF actually did well, was to market us as a native English speaking country. You make every primary school a gaelscoil and you jeopardise that and right now, we don't need jeopardising.

Hogwash, Companies come here for 1 reason, their bottom line and at 12.5% tax rate, it wouldn't matter if we spoke Swahili,
    Same reason why they set up in Singapore aswell with their 17% tax rate.

Advertisement